PDA

View Full Version : VX Value

SomeBeach
06/13/2009, 05:26 AM
It has always been said that for the most part vehicles depreciate for ten years. After that, unique and proven vehicles stop depreciating and actually start becoming more expensive. When I had my 96 Impala SS I sold it then a couple of years later you couldn't touch one for what I sold it for. The Vehicross is so unique and harder to come by. I predict it will begin climbing in price and in a few years be difficult to find an affordable one. That's good news for us. I just wish I could buy about three more.

Sprey
06/13/2009, 06:17 AM
few for sale over here. the dealers that had them have had them basicaly at the same price around 13k nzd for soo long now!
before i found my current vx i was gonna get a small loan and go buy some of them instead found one at the auctions that was a repo :cool:

one guy selling one on a auction site over here had it had 10k then 9 then 8 then 7 then 6k. he wants to minimize his collection. it didnt sell then he relists it for 10k must of realised he was risking a bit tooo much XD.

Joe_Black
06/13/2009, 07:05 AM
The unfortunate truth about vehicles is that they typically personify one of the poorest investments one can make. There are quite a few vehicles of similarly unique nature like our VX and I can't think of any you couldn't pick up for a couple hundred bucks, even when hard to find. For a car/truck to truly become collectible and appreciate significantly a great number of factors need to align to create a perceived and recognized market for the vehicle. If that were the case in the VehiCROSS they would have flown out of the dealerships when new rather than languishing on lots with dealers slashing prices for years just to get them out of inventory.

When, and if, the VX ever appreciates to collector-car status it would likely be many decades from now. Such is the unfortunate truth of niche vehicles.

Cobrajet
06/16/2009, 05:49 AM
...they would have flown out of the dealerships when new rather than languishing on lots with dealers slashing prices for years just to get them out of inventory...
Remember that some Plymouth Superbirds sat on dealer showroom floors for months before they finally got sold. But, that is the exception, rather than the rule. Let's just hope the VX is another exception.

circmand
06/16/2009, 08:04 AM
The unfortunate truth about vehicles is that they typically personify one of the poorest investments one can make. There are quite a few vehicles of similarly unique nature like our VX and I can't think of any you couldn't pick up for a couple hundred bucks, even when hard to find. For a car/truck to truly become collectible and appreciate significantly a great number of factors need to align to create a perceived and recognized market for the vehicle. If that were the case in the VehiCROSS they would have flown out of the dealerships when new rather than languishing on lots with dealers slashing prices for years just to get them out of inventory.

When, and if, the VX ever appreciates to collector-car status it would likely be many decades from now. Such is the unfortunate truth of niche vehicles.

while it is extremely difficult to predict what vehicles will attain collector status original sales id never a factor. The most valuable now were of limited production. As a matter of fact sales volumes up to the 70s were never high on any vehicle. The eatly version toyots sold great but as of yet no million dollar sales at Barrett Jackson.

TheGanzman
06/16/2009, 08:13 AM
IF they ever even begin to attain "collector status", the ONLY ones that will do so are the near-mint, very close to stock, non-offroaded, non-rust belt, unmodded ones. All the others (which will soon be MOST of 'em!) will just be "another Japanese used vehicle", and valued accordingly...

tom4bren
06/16/2009, 08:42 AM
"will just be "another Japanese used vehicle", and valued accordingly..."

'Cept mine.:)

I accepted the fact when I bought it. It's not an investment and it will be worth far more to me than the market will ever be able to support.

Maybe I should get 4SALE vanity tags and sharpie a diagonal line across it.

pbkid
06/16/2009, 09:41 AM
"will just be "another Japanese used vehicle", and valued accordingly..."

'Cept mine.:)

I accepted the fact when I bought it. It's not an investment and it will be worth far more to me than the market will ever be able to support.

Maybe I should get 4SALE vanity tags and sharpie a diagonal line across it.

X2!!!
thats exactly how i feel about mine...it really isnt worth crap anymore...my roof rack may be worth more than my entire car with the damages i have on it...so i figure, why not do anything and everything i want with it...theres no way mine will ever re-sell...

Cobrajet
06/18/2009, 07:19 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/CobraBody.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/CobraEngine.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/CobraInterior.jpg

This was a six year old car with 110,000 miles. Totally trashed. NOT near-mint, but very close to stock, non-raced, non-rust belt, unmodded. I paid $0.00 for it.

30 years later at 170,000 miles, is it just "another American used vehicle"?
http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/70Cobra.jpg

My VehiCROSS has over 118,000 miles, and is still like new, and has been off-road, and has lived it's whole life in Virginia, near the "rust belt". I'm still holding out hope that it will be in the same condition as my Cobra in 30 years, and be worth more than it's original selling price. No, it was never meant to be an investment car. I tried that with a mint 86 Mustang GT convertible, but the ex-wife decided it was more fun to drive it than cherish it. I will continue to drive (and pamper) my VX as long as I own it. It's value to me is priceless.

SomeBeach
06/18/2009, 08:27 AM
What a nice Torino...and you made a good point

TheGanzman
06/19/2009, 09:36 AM
Apples vs. Oranges comparison - not a good analogy at all...American Muscle Cars have earned their "iconic" status over many years; they are as much a representation of a "time period" to a huge cross-section of people Worldwide - as such, people buy/restore/mod/covet them for their real and/or imagined "ability" to take the owner back in time, to a younger, more carefree and simpler time in life. I think it's safe to say that the VX will NEVER achieve THAT status - it is ONE vehicle from a very small (and largely "forgettable") time of the World - '99-2001. With the exceptions of "The Turn Of The Century" and 9-11 (neither of which most people want to "revisit"), the VX won't be linked with its time in the World. I say again - the ONLY ones that will achieve any particularly "higher" value vis a vis "all the other ones" will be the ones that are low mileage, largely stock/unmodded, and without rust. If YOUR VX is "priceless" to you, believe me - I UNDERSTAND! And when it comes time to sell, you MIGHT find someone else who happens to see the "added value" in YOUR VX - that'll be the exception rather than the rule, though. I've prolly bought and sold 50 "specialty vehicles" of my own in my life (I never own ANYTHING that isn't "special" or unique in SOME way) - the ones that were the easiest, quickest, greatest return-on-the-dollar sales were the low mileage, stock, garage queens. The ones that I heavily modded took the longest to sell, and rarely did I see a return of even a fraction of my modded $ - those mods were strictly "personal enjoyment ROI"...

Nice Torino though - they should have used THAT era Torino (1970-'71) on the Eastwood movie, IMHO...

SomeBeach
06/20/2009, 04:43 AM
Well you never know what a cars value will be. Go price an old VW Beetle, or a 70's Pinto, or even a Vega. My buddy has an old Chevette. They were cheap throw away cars and few are left. But he found one and people offer to buy it all the time. And there's a car hangout spot in Virginia Beach where all the hotrods go on Saturday night. A guy shows up with a Yugo and people are all over it. He said he could have sold it a hundred times. I bought a 76 Torino a couple of years after the Starsky & Hutch movie came out and it was $5000.00. Just a plain brown Torino. My daughter wanted an AMC Pacer a couple of years ago when she graduated. The best price I could find was over $5000.00. So I guess it's supply and demand. So be careful when bumping up these rides.

blacksambo
06/24/2009, 07:16 PM
Motor Trend has already named the VX a future classic, and Truck Trend has placed it in its top ten of all time (#7). This is real praise from real experts. Let's not sell ourselves short here. The VX is, in fact, the first go anywhere anytime-with style vehicle. It's no mistake that it spawned a whole new generation of vehicles called "crossovers"! How did that happen????

SomeBeach
06/24/2009, 08:13 PM
I agree...Look at some of the oddball vehicles and their price.... The El Camino, Ranchero, Buick Grand National, Olds Cutlass, Torino, Opel GT, Datsun 240Z, Karma Gia, VW Thing, etc. I really think the VX will soon start to climb. Our vehicles are very unique.

Gussie2000
06/24/2009, 08:38 PM
Well,with all the value the VX is expected to go up with i don't think selling my baby at all,i mean,i bought this toy because i love to drive it.

pbkid
06/24/2009, 09:46 PM
Well,with all the value the VX is expected to go up with i don't think selling my baby at all,i mean,i bought this toy because i love to drive it.
X2

lasturbo
06/25/2009, 12:17 AM
IF they ever even begin to attain "collector status", the ONLY ones that will do so are the near-mint, very close to stock, non-offroaded, non-rust belt, unmodded ones. All the others (which will soon be MOST of 'em!) will just be "another Japanese used vehicle", and valued accordingly...

My vote would be Rickshaws then and the Pearl Beauty in Colorado if it is still there.

crotchrocket
06/25/2009, 01:22 AM
These aren't worth much here. I paid ?3500 for mine and i think alterastro got his for less. There have been 3 others for sale ever since i bought mine. They are up at the ?5k mark and just won't sell

.Fuel is curretly around 104.9 pence per litre and at reletively low MPG its not attractive
.Japanese import which makes it a 'grey import' in insurance terms so that costs alot more
.Not well known with Isuzu dealers, so parts and servicing are a pain
.Rare model so an accident repair is almost impossible, there aren't any in breakers yards
.etc etc

But hey........I LOVE IT !!!!

sloop
06/25/2009, 08:52 AM
Cars have a Following! There will always be someone who wants to be Different and noticed and only a few certain Vehicles can draw the Intrest and Compliments that I get at Car shows in the Vehicross. If they only made 4000 or so of these Vehicles Out of the Millions of People in the US and around the World odds are with it being such a Unique Automobile Value should stay pretty Steady and Maybe you could find that One person who must have one in your specific color combo willing to pay anything for it. Mine to Me is Priceless and will continue to be Even though I drive it maybe 100 miles a year It is my Favorite

Gussie2000
06/25/2009, 01:11 PM
Is deffinetly a true fact that many members wish & will sale their VX if the value ever goes up.
On the other hand there's more members that has no interest in this value/price discussion because they show no interest in selling their rigs
My questions to those whom are seeking the VX value to rank up is :
After your VX is gone....what's next.
I ask this ??? Because you may get good $$$$ for your VX if the value go up,but the person who purchase the VX is who would have all the benefits from it because you may not be able to buy another VX the rest of your life....make sense to you ?
If my VX doesn't become a collector vehicule it's ok,fine for me,if it does then let me own a collector vehicule.