PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Spare Tire Mount Possible

VX1032
06/12/2009, 10:00 AM
Okay, I know a lot of us don't want to put the spare tire on the roof, and most of us have spare tires that do not fit in the stock position. I have discovered the easiest spare tire mount possible, with no extreior modifications, and no damage done to the interior.

Step one, remove rear seat.

Step two, but Yakima spare tire holder for Yakima Loadwarrior ( no you will not use this in your roof. http://www.yakima.com/racks/cargo/product/8007076/spare-tire-carrier.aspx You will not need the base plate, so store that.

Step three, put spare tire in back of VX

Step four, attached spare tire holder to rear seat latch loop in the center of the rear load floor

Step Five, tighten and enjoy.

So easy, so secure, such a piece of mind, and no mods needed, except the removal of the back seat which many have already done.

This fits my 265/75 R16 spare. It could probably go a bit bigger, but since the latch is offset to the passangers side, you are limited in tire size. 33's might be the limit, but that is the limit for most of our trucks, so it works well.

I will be storing and driving around town like this, and leave the base plate attached to my roof rack so when I go on long drives, like to Uwharrie, I can put the tire on the roof for the drive. Once I get to the trail and empty the camping gear out, I can then put the spare in the back for off roading so the weight is off the roof. The best of both worlds.

LittleBeast
06/12/2009, 10:09 AM
Pics or it never happened ;) :cool!::work:

VX1032
06/12/2009, 10:28 AM
Okay, 4 pics in the gallery.

Now, it happens, and its almost too perfect.

JAMAS
06/12/2009, 10:40 AM
Did you take those pictures in the future? I see the date of 6/13/09 on your pictures....

can you tell me some winning lottery numbers for tomorrow please?

nfpgasmask
06/12/2009, 10:59 AM
I don't understand the need for anything special to carry a full size spare in the back with the seats removed. I have put mine back there several times when going over to San Fran with my roof rack removed.

I just put my spare in the back laying flat. I secure it with 2 strong bungies attached to the 4 tie downs on the floor. Why do you need some fancy/expensive mount for it to put it in the back?? :wtfy:

IMO, carrying the spare in the rear is fine, if you don't have to haul much else.

Bart

VX1032
06/12/2009, 11:03 AM
Nice to have the security knowing no matter what angle your vehicle is offroad, the tire isn't going anywhere. Also, if you are in an accident at speed, your bungies are going to break and that tire is a missle inside your vehicle. This way, it isn't going anywhere.

If you are comfortable with bungies, there is no issue. I am not comfortable with bungie cords, I would rather have a little extra security.

Triathlete
06/12/2009, 11:23 AM
That is actually the second simplest way...ratchet straps are the easiest!:smilewink
Bungies are okay if you are driving over paved roads. If you are wheeling you might as well have nothing holding the tire down. The bungies WILL stretch as they are designed to do (they work great for light goods). In the event of a big bump or the unfortunate event of a flop or rollover that tire has a great possibility of freeing itself and injuring the occupants of the VX.
NJ...nice work of keeping it simple. That is a great idea for those who have removed the rear seat. My seat is still installed and used so that is not an option for me.

pbkid
06/12/2009, 05:15 PM
ya...rachet straps work alright too...im with billy..

nfpgasmask
06/12/2009, 10:31 PM
That is actually the second simplest way...ratchet straps are the easiest!:smilewink

Yeah, I was gonna say, I use bungies for driving around, but if I was wheeling with it back there, I would just use a couple ratchet straps. It ain't going ANYWHERE ratcheted down.

But, like Justin said, it will be nice and clean!

Bart

PS - And good bungies really ain't bad. I buy the super strength ones like these. (http://www.bungeeco.com/subcategory.php?subCatId=31) I've wheeled in Moab twice and in plenty of other spots with my tire up top using only those bungies and it doesn't move. :D

tom4bren
06/15/2009, 07:01 AM
Simplicity at it's finest. Good work.

But ...

I'm unconvinced. A 33x12.50 just takes up too much space inside. My VX is GP. It hauls kids, it takes Wifey & me on dates, it hauls groceries, it hauls lumber. I don't want to reconfigure things for different applications.

Mine stays on the back door.

CrnCnn
06/15/2009, 07:54 AM
Still dont work for me cause I gotta make room for the pup.

tom4bren
06/15/2009, 09:36 AM
"for a spare, especially in your case , I think I would go for the 33x9.50 BFG"

Naw - can't be done. It would totally ruin the look:)

tom4bren
06/15/2009, 11:05 AM
I have no response to that ... none that wouldn't get me in trouble anyway:)

Triathlete
06/15/2009, 11:20 AM
My VX is GP. It hauls kids, it takes Wifey & me on dates, it hauls groceries, it hauls lumber. I don't want to reconfigure things for different applications.

Well duh! Thats what the roof rack is for!:bwgy::smilewink:bgwb::bgwg::bgwo::bgwp::bwgr:

tom4bren
06/15/2009, 12:00 PM
"Well duh! Thats what the roof rack is for!"

& look how well THAT worked out for YOU:)

Sorry - that may still be a sore spot for you but ... you started it.