PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement Help/Procedure

lasturbo
06/10/2009, 05:08 PM
So I finally replaced my howling rear diff. with Lisa's (VX Crazy) diff. from her RIP Kaiser and I cannot believe what I have been missing since June 08 and how quiet the VX is now. While we were in there, replaced the pads, rotors and hub seals. We were going to replace the wheel bearings and hubs as precautionary (139k miles and since we were there) but could not get the collar/ABS sensor to come off the axle (after removing the circlip), and our shop foreman did not want to get too extreme with the press machine. Has anyone done this and does it require ZuZoo special tools? The shop manual does not tell you how to replace rear wheel bearings, only how to remove the diff and tear it down (which requires removing the rear axles). The parts catalog shows the circlip, ABS collar, then the bearing so it looks like the collar needs to come off /press off/ or cut off to access the bearing. Any help or experience is appreciated.

lasturbo
06/11/2009, 10:37 AM
Bump! Some lookers but no takers. I guess it is not a common repair/replacement amongst the group. :confused:

Ldub
06/11/2009, 12:21 PM
I've only done it once before on a Ford rear end, but in that case, the bearings had to be pressed off...:_wrench:...:_confused