PDA

View Full Version : If I designed the VX

SomeBeach
06/09/2009, 06:50 PM
Well its been almost a year since I bought my VX. I have never had a vehicle so unique and I love it. But after a year of owning this exceptional vehicle I have thought of what changes I feel would make this an even better vehicle.
First is the name. This SUV should have had a name that better fits the design. Like a scorpion, bat, snake, shark, etc.
Then the VX should have a back window that opens so the air don't blow your head off when side windows are put down.
I also think the rims should be at least 8" wide.
I also wish the VX had a light bar like the Jeep Liberty.
And wouldn't it be nice to have T-tops like a Corvette.

VX-157
06/09/2009, 06:53 PM
Rear interior light......why was this not standard? :confused:

thats all i can think off :o

Gussie2000
06/09/2009, 08:04 PM
I'll also add the sun roof,damn it !

No sunroof makes me wonder so much.:mad:

Also the fact that the VX didn't came with factory daylights,stronger engine,let me say about 280 hp,factory dual exhaust,optional supercharged/turbocharger package. (for $ 30000 back in 1999 it made sense)

An optional 5 speed A/T would be nice to :rolleyes:

Another stuff like factory back up camera,full doubledin radio/CD/NAV & optional 2wd as our japs countermates.

iamironman
06/09/2009, 09:20 PM
Of course the bigger engine like Gussie says at LEAST 280hp!! And the factory dual exhaust... I think the S/C or turbo would have been too much if they had given it 280hp already... but............

About 6" longer in wheelbase and/or interior/body (Ldub, no sickie penile inuendo ;) ).

And a backseat halfsize, suicide style door, would have been cool to put it on driver side only. Oh, and the back door should have been a hatch style lifting up instead of sidewise... I know it probably would have been a big problem with the spare tire there... but figure it out and make it so... an inside release for the backdoor, with a button on the remote for it also.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'll be back as the idea's keep coming.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/09/2009, 09:36 PM
I also wish the VX had a light bar like the Jeep Liberty.

that's what gave me this idea. :)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/2008_Moab_Utah_pics2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12841)

And wouldn't it be nice to have T-tops like a Corvette.
:yesy:

I would like to have seen the roof a bit wider so the windows don't slope inward as they go up. But, that's just my $.02

About 6" longer in wheelbase and/or interior/body an inside release for the backdoor, with a button on the remote for it also.

Ldub
06/09/2009, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=iamironman;161379]About 6" longer in wheelbase and/or interior/body (Ldub, no sickie penile inuendo ;) ).[QUOTE]

Huh?...what?...I don't even know what this "inuendo" you speak of is...:_confused

What is that, like the Italian word for suppository?.......:laughgray

iamironman
06/10/2009, 12:16 AM
[quote=Ldub;161392
Huh?...what?...I don't even know what this "inuendo" you speak of is...:_confused

What is that, like the Italian word for suppository?.......:laughgray[/quote]

LOL... you got suppository on the brain being so old and all... need an instruction manual to tell you how to "uninstall" it?

:bwgy::bwgr::bgwp::bgwo:

Ldub
06/10/2009, 12:18 AM
LOL... you got suppository on the brain being so old and all... need an instruction manual to tell you how to "uninstall" it?

:bwgy::bwgr::bgwp::bgwo:

Nope...got that part handled, but thanks for the offer...:laughgray

I downloaded "uninstall 2.0", & everything came out OK...:thumbup:

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 04:52 AM
And wouldn't it be nice to have a little more glass in the rear to improve visibility. And a nice stripe paint scheme. I really hate the name. Maybe Isuzu should have named it the Beast, or Little Beast. Even calling it an Isuzu Ldub would be better.......

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 04:59 AM
Innuendo -

1. an indirect intimation about a person or thing, esp. of a disparaging or a derogatory nature.

2. Law.
a. a parenthetic explanation or specification in a pleading.
b. (in an action for slander or libel) the explanation and elucidation of the words alleged to be defamatory.
c. the word or expression thus explained.

3. a postural representation after consuming vast quantities of "Chocolate Moonkies". The modern coloquialism often refers to this as being 'shat faced' or 'on yer arse'

Back on topic: Windows that work, Tranny dipstick, seats 1" lower, glass headlights (but keep the horns), hood inserts that don't crack, rear view mirror mounted to headliner instead of windshield.

BTW SomeBeach, change your profile. You drive a Proton, not a 'Yellow' VX.:)

"Oh, and the back door should have been a hatch style lifting up instead of sidewise... I know it probably would have been a big problem with the spare tire there... but figure it out and make it so..."

iamironman - You read my mind - I've been thinking along those lines for a long time now. I need to get off my arse & start looking into how I can make it happen.

iamironman
06/10/2009, 08:05 AM
Nope...got that part handled, but thanks for the offer...:laughgray

I downloaded "uninstall 2.0", & everything came out OK...:thumbup:

So you were able to G Y H O O Y A?

:dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban:

dietz99vcross
06/10/2009, 08:09 AM
Simple things like a rear door release, making the windows go down an extra 1/2" so they are completely out of the way, and an extra inch or 2 of room to get in and out of the back seat.

Ldub
06/10/2009, 08:15 AM
Innuendo -

3. a postural representation after consuming vast quantities of "Chocolate Moonkies". The modern coloquialism often refers to this as being 'shat faced' or 'on yer arse'

So you were able to G Y H O O Y A?

:dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban:

I'm a gonna step back from this part of the thread jack & let it go...

My apologies to the entire world...:laughgray

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 08:31 AM
"making the windows go down an extra 1/2" so they are completely out of the way"

????

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure mine go all the way down.

"an extra inch or 2 of room to get in and out of the back seat."

Yup - woulda been nice ... but we fixed that with Tone's seat sliders.

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 08:46 AM
"don't Tone's sliders take away from the front passenger legroom?"

It basically moves the mounting features for the seat forward. So yes, if you typically keep the seat pushed all the way back, you'll lose that same amount of front seat leg room. If you typically don't have the seat adjusted all the way back, you lose nothing.

LittleBeast
06/10/2009, 08:55 AM
And wouldn't it be nice to have a little more glass in the rear to improve visibility. And a nice stripe paint scheme. I really hate the name. Maybe Isuzu should have named it the Beast, or Little Beast. Even calling it an Isuzu Ldub would be better.......

:bwgy:HAHAHAHAHA nice :)

LittleBeast
06/10/2009, 08:58 AM
I would like to have seen the roof a bit wider so the windows don't slope inward as they go up. But, that's just my $.02

But then the VX would look more like a typical SUV "box" and less like a VX, come on, I know what you mean, but I personally would not sacrifice the style of the sloped windows for the functionality, haha, just fabricate some way to make the windows work better than they do ;)

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 09:10 AM
LittleBox just wouldn't have the same ring as LittleBeast.:)

nfpgasmask
06/10/2009, 09:22 AM
But then the VX would look more like a typical SUV "box" and less like a VX, come on, I know what you mean, but I personally would not sacrifice the style of the sloped windows for the functionality, haha, just fabricate some way to make the windows work better than they do ;)

Exactly. I understand the point of this thread, but I think changing the VX to anything other than what it is, would make it pretty boring. The simply fact is, it's an extremely stylized, and very quarky, unique little SUV that looks like nothing else ever made, EVER. And that is what makes it so damn cool.

That said, it would be awesome if the rear window could go down. I know it's impossible with the spare space there, but after all these years, my only complaint is that it can get downright HOT in the VX, especially in the summer in an Ebony. And I don't care for using the A/C, especially when it does little for cooling the interior while you are driving back from Moab across the NV desert in 95 degree heat. :D

I suppose the seatbelts are a little annoying as well. :rolleyes:

The outer styling is what makes the VX the VX, and to change or deface it, is blasphemous, imho anyway...

Bart

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 09:28 AM
So my VX is not yellow???? Good thing I didn't order "OLD YELR" tags. Tom I'm gonna change my profile to PROTON.
Back to changes, What is with the platinum teeth in the grill? I mean are they supposed to be teeth? And again the name Vehicross. What the heck does that mean? I'm going to debadge mine and get professionally done new badges that better represent the vehicle. I'll try HUMMER LittleBeast, or Isuzu tiger, or even Mighty Mite.
And another change, the driving lights should be bright driving lights. I mean Isuzu made an off road vehicle and didn't equip it with extra lights.

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 09:32 AM
And another thing, why did Hollywood not modify a black VX to be another vehicle for Batman? Stock, the black VX looks like a Bat SUV.

KeithVXlvr
06/10/2009, 09:46 AM
SomeBeach, you need to sell your VX and go buy another vehicle. Holy Cow !!!

If I complained about the "build and design" of my wife as much as you complain about the VX I'd have to get a divorce. :)

You should get a new vehicle and sell yours to someone else who appreciates it.

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 09:53 AM
SomeBeach, you need to sell your VX and go buy another vehicle. Holy Cow !!!

If I complained about the "build and design" of my wife as much as you complain about the VX I'd have to get a divorce. :)

You should get a new vehicle and sell yours to someone else who appreciates it.

Take a chill pill Keith. I'm not complaining. I'm having dialogue with my VX buddies. I appreciate my vehicle and was simply having some fun discussing what would make it even better. Didn't realize the forum had such strick guidelines. If you read the members profiles you will see all the mods that have been done. Should these members sell there VX also. Lighten up and enjoy my sense of humor.

KeithVXlvr
06/10/2009, 10:00 AM
Oh, now I get it.

I think the VX should have been designed with helicopter blades that come out of the roof. It also should have been designed with the ability to float and a drop down jet in the rear so we could take it across a river if it is too windy to fly.

Scott Harness
06/10/2009, 10:02 AM
The outer styling is what makes the VX the VX, and to change or deface it, is blasphemous, imho anyway...

Bart

x2

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 10:04 AM
Oh, now I get it.

I think the VX should have been designed with helicopter blades that come out of the roof. It also should have been designed with the ability to float and a drop down jet in the rear so we could take it across a river if it is too windy to fly.

Are you serious???

KeithVXlvr
06/10/2009, 10:07 AM
Of course, it would also be nice if it had hovercraft ability. :)

Scott Harness
06/10/2009, 10:10 AM
And again the name Vehicross. What the heck does that mean?

Vehi...As in vehicle
Cross...as in crossover vehicle
also as in crosstraining shoe...does everything well:cool:

nfpgasmask
06/10/2009, 10:15 AM

:laughing: THAT is funny.

SomeBeach, you are exactly right that we can talk about whatever we want. That is the beauty of this forum. At the same time, don't expect people not to react however they want! :D

I tend to agree with Keith.

Everyone reading this thread should tell us:

What exactly made you want a VX in the first place?

For me, it was 100%, hands down, the way it looks. Period.

If I just wanted a SWB SUV to wheel in, I would have bought a Jeep. So I too genuienly struggle with the idea of modifying the looks of the VX. Sure, it has some "comfort" and "convenience" shortcomings, but nothing I would change about the external appearance short of debadging and customizing the wheels/tires.

Anyway, I'm just saying. Threads like this, and threads like Marlin's "removing the front cladding for a custom bumper" seriously confuse me. :_huh:

:p Bart

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 10:30 AM
Very true....you just can't predict how someone will react. I read the forums to get ideas on mods and improvements. It don't mean these people don't liketheir VX....just discussing what would make a great vehicle better. I'm on your side...I really am

KeithVXlvr
06/10/2009, 10:32 AM
#1 I bought mine because it looks so darn neat.

#2 I bought mine for the off road capability.

#3 Also, it is a very nice ride... something you can feel comfortable in; unlike some old jeep. I know the passenger in my VX feels like they are riding in a very nice vehicle.. as opposed to some mid 1990's jeep with broken down seats etc...

#4 They are also rare and may hold their value over the long run.. if I can keep the miles off - I am at 58,000 now.

#5 I can join this wonderful community and get people really wound up with one simple comment.

#6 You can wash it and take it too a very nice event and not be embarrassed about your car..... It looks as nice as any car in the valet lot !!!!!!!

nfpgasmask
06/10/2009, 10:33 AM
Very true....you just can't predict how someone will react. I read the forums to get ideas on mods and improvements. It don't mean these people don't liketheir VX....just discussing what would make a great vehicle better. I'm on your side...I really am

Oh I know, I'm not critisizing you or anyone else who has plans to mod their VX beyond recognition...:D To each his own.

It's a fun discussion, it really is. :thumbup:

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/10/2009, 10:36 AM
#1 I bought mine because it looks so darn neat.

#2 I bought mine for the off road capability.

#3 Also, it is a very nice ride... something you can feel comfortable in; unlike some old jeep. I know the passenger in my VX feels like they are riding in a very nice vehicle.. as opposed to some mid 1990's jeep with broken down seats etc...

#4 They are also rare and may hold their value over the long run.. if I can keep the miles off - I am at 58,000 now.

#5 I can join this wonderful community and get people really wound up with one simple comment.

#6 You can wash it and take it too a very nice event and not be embarrassed about your car..... It looks as nice as any car in the valet lot !!!!!!!

#7 You can drive around town and get accosted everytime you stop by people wondering WTH you are driving. :rotate:

Bart

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 10:37 AM
I bought mine because it was the neatest SUV I ever saw. It stood out from all the others that looked alike. Isuzu makes a very dependable product and I knew it would last. Heck the sticker price was like $31,000 back in 2001. I bought mine used and flew to Baltimore. I had never driven one but what a great ride home. Felt like everyone was staring. I agree with Keith (my new VX buddy) that these things should really hold their value.

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 10:39 AM
"The outer styling is what makes the VX the VX, and to change or deface it, is blasphemous, imho anyway..."

This from the gentleman who blacked out EVERYTHING on his.

As far as the name goes, I likey VehiCross - very unique.

I really think that the VX should have rolled off the line with MORE OFFSET.

There, I think I just pissed off just about everyone.

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=KeithVXlvr;161505]

Keith, why did you wind me up??? I have high blood pressure. Unfortunately for you I kinda like you now so now you have to put up with my comments (I'll be gentle). I thought that helicopter blade thing was a little over the top but the idea of putting across the water had me thinking.

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 10:51 AM
Oh I know, I'm not critisizing you or anyone else who has plans to mod their VX beyond recognition...:D To each his own.

It's a fun discussion, it really is. :thumbup:

Bart

My only outside mod will be larger tires. I like the way it looks looks. I do!

KeithVXlvr
06/10/2009, 10:54 AM
HA HA HA HA I am laughing out loud here in my cubical and my coworkers are starting to wonder.

SomeBeach ( my new buddy ) I had a trip like yours. I had never even driven one (had only seen one go by me on the highway) and flew from Portland, Oregon, to Sacramento, CA, to pick mine up. What a drive home !!!

As soon as I got it, I took it to the mechanic in Sacramento and had all the fluids changed, new belt wiper blades, etc.. Then went straight to the tire store (Les Schwab - a huge tire retailer out here in the Northwest) and had the new 285/60 R18's put on and then headed north to home !!!!!

What a ride... It would have been faster to get the helicopter blades out and fly but, alas the designers failed me. :)

etlsport
06/10/2009, 10:56 AM
:_confused all i want is cupholders

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 10:58 AM
Looks like you chose the same size tire as I am. I bought some different rims but wanted to keep it as close to stock as possible so I'm staying with the stock rims. Proly get the Nitto Grapplers.
Sorry you laughed so loud. I tell ya, I'm a very funny guy.

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 10:59 AM

Don't drink and drive.

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 11:05 AM
"all i want is cupholders"

What's wrong with our cup launcher?

nfpgasmask
06/10/2009, 11:05 AM
"The outer styling is what makes the VX the VX, and to change or deface it, is blasphemous, imho anyway..."

This from the gentleman who blacked out EVERYTHING on his.

Changing around the colors and such on your VX is one thing. Changing the entire shape (i.e. mooncraft VX) and/or completely covering up the outer features with monstrous accessories (i.e. spare tires and giant brush guards- sorry Tom/Jo) is another story. I like to SEE my VX, not cover it up! Again, just my humble opinion! :D :D :D I know I have uber-customized my VX, but it still looks like a VX!! ;)

BIGTIME!!!

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/mods/cuphold.jpg

Bart

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 11:07 AM
"I like to SEE my VX, not cover it up!"

OK but just don't look for it at night:)

nfpgasmask
06/10/2009, 11:34 AM
"I like to SEE my VX, not cover it up!"

OK but just don't look for it at night:)

:laughing: EXACTLY!!! ;)

BTW, I hope I didn't razz anyone too hard. :rotate:

Bart

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 11:52 AM
Naw - Yer good.

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 11:55 AM
"I agree with Keith (my new VX buddy)"

Actually, his buddies refer to him as Kevin (wazza matta Keith - were you hoping I forgot?)

KeithVXlvr
06/10/2009, 12:11 PM

Actually, his buddies refer to him as Kevin (wazza matta Keith - were you hoping I forgot?)

I felt that time had passed enough for that 'AKA" to be forgotten. Guess not.:eek:

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 12:24 PM
"I felt that time had passed enough for that 'AKA" to be forgotten"

Yer new so we'll let it slide. You'll learn. We never forget.

PHO2GR4
06/10/2009, 01:53 PM
Rear interior light......why was this not standard? :confused:

thats all i can think off :o

+1. That's such a frustrating oversight.

handeeman
06/10/2009, 01:53 PM

Nope not much forgetin around here. Plus I'm glad Dougie and Kevin are buddies! I'm sooooooooo bad . Please forgive me southbeach, I mean somebeach. lol lol lol lol

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 01:58 PM
That's DOOOOOOOOOGIE

LittleBeast
06/10/2009, 02:00 PM
And another thing, why did Hollywood not modify a black VX to be another vehicle for Batman? Stock, the black VX looks like a Bat SUV.

Yeah it is pretty funny but I have had people refer to both the RX-8 and the VX as the batmobile. The rx-8 of course is the older batmobile and the VX is the newer model, well at least to a few of my friends. And my real name is not really Ryan, hmmm......

Oh, now I get it.

Are you serious???

Of course, it would also be nice if it had hovercraft ability. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, wow, I wish movies now-a-days were this entertaining. LOL.....

LittleBeast
06/10/2009, 02:03 PM
Please forgive me southbeach, I mean somebeach. lol lol lol lol

That's DOOOOOOOOOGIE

Yes Dooookie, I mean Dooooogie it is indeed.....

Will it never end? HAHAHA :clap::thumbup:Line Wave

Gussie2000
06/10/2009, 03:31 PM

Hey keith !

You might want to keep your wife away from reading this thread :p

tom4bren
06/10/2009, 03:43 PM
"You might want to keep your wife away from reading this thread"

Yes - she might mumble 'Kevin' in her sleep. Not good!

Of course if SomeBeach's wife reads this - she might wake up screaming DOOGIE, DOOGIE, DOOGIE. Definitely not good!

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 04:27 PM
Look...there are a lot of famous Dougies, Doogies, and Dookies out there. And I joined this forum because I thought our wives were not allowed to read what we write.

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 04:30 PM
Nope not much forgetin around here. Plus I'm glad Dougie and Kevin are buddies! I'm sooooooooo bad . Please forgive me southbeach, I mean somebeach. lol lol lol lol

Hey Handeeman....that's a pretty sharp VX police vehicle. I think I'll put a light bar on mine now....NOT!

KeithVXlvr
06/10/2009, 04:32 PM
SomeBeach is right. :)

Wifes are not allowed.. are they ?? :_confused

Besides, my wife couldn't care less about this site or her, "husbands stupid waste of time and money on that darn car!!" - unquote :p

Kevin is my brothers name so, that would be a problem. :freek:

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 04:38 PM
My wife has been great about my VX toy. When I drove it home she let me park it in the garage while her Navigator sits outside.

pbkid
06/10/2009, 05:06 PM
wow......

im really dissapointed in you guys...

i would never change anything in the design of the VX...i think its great...just missing some features that would fix the 'bad designs'

ie-
back up camera
2nd overhead light in rear
cupholders

bart, im surprised that you, of all people arent into putting something on the front of the VX that actually keeps it in one piece. (steel bumper)

i know that i will have one SOON....so next time i get in a fight with a yukon, im gonna make damn sure that i win!

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 05:10 PM
I agree the outside is PERFECTO!!! But you gotta admit it looks pretty neat with bigger tires. I mean stocky. I did add the headlight covers. My boy needed sunglasses for the beach.

pbkid
06/10/2009, 05:18 PM
well..ya, im very into adding bigger tires..but i dont consider that changing the vehicle...i think any SUV or truck should have bigger tires ;)

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=nfpgasmask;161500]

I tend to agree with Keith.

Everyone reading this thread should tell us:

What exactly made you want a VX in the first place?

For me, it was 100%, hands down, the way it looks. Period.

Hey Bart I took your advice and went out and gave the VX a good look over. You know what I like.....I like the way the speakers fit in the back seat. One of a kind. I love the front seats...so sporty. Heck, I love the gear shift.

pbkid
06/10/2009, 05:36 PM
I like the way the speakers fit in the back seat. One of a kind.

have to disagree...horrible design...muffles all the sound, makes it hard to get to them..and makes them small which blow quickly and provide NO sound..

SomeBeach
06/10/2009, 05:52 PM
Looks pretty neat though

pbkid
06/10/2009, 07:07 PM
your very right...it looks great ;)

don moore
06/10/2009, 07:47 PM
your right PBKID bigger tires..so we just did it ourself ..... lol my wife says its VX worship that i have:p

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/11/2009, 12:13 AM
I think the Ironman edition was a missed opportunity to offer the VX with a 2" lift, 4.56's, 31" tires, skid plates, rally/baja bumpers, selectable hubs, and part-time t-case... :(

.....and open diff :p......sorry..those evil thoughts in my skull made me do it!
:evil:

I do agree with what you're say'in though!

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/11/2009, 12:35 AM

I never thought that the Amigo looked "boxxy"...I probably should've stated it better..."less sloped windows" and "ever so slightly wider roof." :)

I also never thought that the Axiom looked "boxxy" either. :p

I would classify the Trooper as "boxxy".

Just my own "personal" adjustment to the styling. Personally, I like the look of the VX-O2 the best 'specially if it would've had a retractable hard-top. ;)

Ldub
06/11/2009, 12:37 AM
If only I had the time...:sighwgray...and $

There is a late model Trooper in one of the local salvage yards...it is calling me...:eek:

I would LoVe to have 2HI - 4HI - 4LO - TOD...:naughty:

tom4bren
06/11/2009, 01:29 PM
"Kevin is my brothers name so, that would be a problem."

Dang - that ruins it for me. You can be Keith now.