PDA

View Full Version : any factual opinions welcome

pbkid
06/08/2009, 07:32 PM
so, im looking at getting a new ride (with all the great financing offers they have going on)

im strongly considering a full size diesel pick up...my questions is-
does anyone have a preference between the big 3 based on factual opinion?
im not looking for like, well chevy is better than dodge...im looking for facts, like 'chevy has an allison transmission so it makes it a superior truck'

any ideas???

nfpgasmask
06/08/2009, 07:59 PM
so, im looking at getting a new ride (with all the great financing offers they have going on)

im not looking for like, well chevy is better than dodge...im looking for facts, like 'chevy has an allison transmission so it makes it a superior truck'

any ideas???

Dude, just get a FJ, you know you want one! ;)

:laughing: Bart

etlsport
06/08/2009, 08:00 PM
well just based on a recent experience one thing i can tell u to look for is the amount of oil each vehicle takes.. i rang up an oil change for an F350 the other day.. it took 15 quarts.. it came out to like 70 bucks just to do an oil change.. maintenance costs that high will offset savings from fuel economy

Gussie2000
06/08/2009, 08:38 PM
My 1rst choice will be a GMC (chevy) ,2nd a F250 isn't a bad choice at all.

On the opposite side of the street (japanese) i'll look at the tundra with the iforce technology.

Have a comparison of all those big guys & that can help you clear your thoughts a bit.

Riff Raff
06/08/2009, 09:38 PM
Hmmm, diesel (no thanks). The only thing that's really cool about diesel trucks is that they have the same MPG whether the truck is fully loaded or empty. If you plan on hauling heavy loads on a regular basis; then yes, go diesel. That's why most General Contractors/Home Builders have heavy-duty diesel pick-ups because they are always hauling heavy stuff to/from the build site. If your new truck is just for a weekend-warrior with very little hauling/towing involved, then I'd re-think my priorities.

Other than that, diesel trucks are frickin' noisey (clackitty-clackitty-clackitty) and smell terrible like rotten eggs. Plus, have you noticed at the gas pumps that Diesel Fuel costs more than Premium-Unleaded??? Sorry, but no thanks.

As far as Brands-- all of the Big-Three are pretty good. Personally; I'd go for the "Cummins" version just for sheer re-sale marketability, as they're quite popular among prospective buyers. Incidentally, didn't Isuzu make a diesel powered mini pick-up back in the '70s/'80s called the D-50 ??? It looked really simular to the Chevy LUV 4x4 mini pick-up of the same era. Hmmm, time to ponder.

VX1032
06/09/2009, 05:06 AM
Gotta go with a Chevy in this case, or the GMC. They ge the duramx, which was designed by ISUZU. Therefore you get to sort of stay in the family, and they make the best oil burners out there.

That being said, why the heck would you want a fullsize pickup? Please tell me you need 17000 pounds of pulling power, otherwise, stay away.

Joe_Black
06/09/2009, 07:21 AM
What's your mission parameters for the desired truck and are you set on new? I ask as there's a lot of difference between new diesel full-size trucks and previous models as currently they're more focused on power rather than economy whereas older models the opposite, but can still get the job done if you're looking to tow.

The VX is the only gasonline powered vehicle we have left besides motorcycles and race cars, and will be converted as soon as funds become available. Diesel is so much superior to gasoline and one of the best parts about it is that you can make it yourself if you need to! :bgwg:

taylorRichie
06/09/2009, 07:37 AM
Still trying to figure out how one can have a factual... opinion.

All of my opinions are factual, in that it is a fact, that they are my opinions :D

I think what you are after is peoples opinions based on real world experience and knowledge of the topic.

IMO having dealt with all of the Big 3 diesels at one point or another, you'll be fine with any...

The new dodges have the best interior (IMFO)

Chevy GMC have the best Tranny (IMFO)

Fords have the best resale, and a great balance of everything (IMFO)

:D

Plus right now is the time to buy... actually end of last year beginning of this year... but now is good too... My buddy just bought a new Dodge for $20,000 OFF sticker... Brand new 2008.

circmand
06/09/2009, 07:51 AM

any ideas???

The Dodge has a Cummings diesel recognized as one of the best diesel engines on land or sea. Also as a requirement Dodge had to beef up the suspension and warranty to satisfy Cummins that their name would not be tarnished by the agreement.

WormGod
06/09/2009, 08:06 AM
Still trying to figure out how one can have a factual... opinion.

If you have ever hear me give my opinion, rest assured, you can guarantee it is factual. You have my word on it. ;)

Make the trip to VA. There is a Dodge/Chrysler dealer in Roanoke who is selling his entire inventory for 40-60% off STICKER. He is a dropped franchise and has to unload the cars before July 10th. Some woman was interviewed leaving there in a new fully loaded Nitro saying she paid $17k for it. I can only imagine what other deals they have on trucks there. Unfortunately, I have friends in "utility" businesses and they can't say enough bad stuff about their Dodges. They swear by their Fords though. And IMHO (there it is!), I would only touch a Chevy if I were looking for an oversized stroller to tote a soccer team around in. :cool:

Why arent you considering import trucks at all and is diesel a must? My EX's mother uses Tacomas on her ranch and those things are unbreakable. They surprise the hell outta me.

JHarris1385
06/09/2009, 10:33 AM
Motor Trend just paired a 150 to a tundra and the 150 took it. Ford seems to be the more overall solid choice.

pbkid
06/10/2009, 04:12 PM
well...interesting responses...

pretty much seems like all three are good choices, no one seems to stand out above the rest in particular...

1. this is going to be a daily driver/boat towing rig....hence the reasoning for a large truck (not a huge boat, but i dont wanna feel like the boat is controlling the vehicle)
i dont wanna be driving my VX as a daily driver anymore...i just plainly dont trust it enough.

2. im stuck on diesel because i like the fact that as you add money to the motor to get more power...you also get more mileage :naughty:
and i like the fact that i can tow anything necessary (VX trail rig, or a boat)

3. the tundra is also a great option, and have considered it if it were more affordable...

im looking at 2000-2006 vehicles BTW...so that kinda puts out the new tundra :(

Joe_Black
06/10/2009, 07:18 PM
Seems like you'd be best suited for either a 3/4 or 1 ton rig to get the job done. Depending on your ride preferences a standard or extended cab is reasonable and not too hard to negotiate around most places, just remember the short-bed will get you a shorter wheelbase and a more "VX-like" ride. :bwgy: The long-bed will give you more hauling room and a smoother ride. Prior to buying the Dragon VX I had a new 2001 F-250 crew-cab long-bed 4X4 and had no problems with it in either parking garages or downtown metro Tampa, Orlando, Miami or Atlanta and even enjoyed driving it to Key West. Even though there are some great deals to be had from the ashes of GM and Chrysler you'd be hard pressed to overlook the history, track record and advantages of buying a Ford. The 6.0L diesel is now a proven powerhouse now that the early bugs have been worked out (cavitation) and in the older models it's hard to go wrong with the proven 7.3L engine. I'm about to sell a 1998 E-350 van with the 7.3L and just serviced the fuel filter ($45) and oil change (15.8 quarts). It's got over 200K miles on it and doesn't leak a drop of oil and gets about 23MPG not towing, and that seems to fairly typical from other owners I know in the area with 7.3L Ford trucks and vans. I buy Rotella 40W by the 55-gallon drum but it's still very reasonable by the gallon from your local discount house and about the best non-synthetic diesel oil. Most of my antique equipment leaks too much to lavish Delvac-1 (Mobil-1 equivalent) but you may want to spring for it on your daily driver provided it doesn't have the desire to mark its territory like a 70's vintage semi tractor with a two-stroke supercharged diesel V8!

If you're a tinkerer and like to have something "different" like many of your brethren VX'ers, then you may want to consider looking for a military CUCV either in the M1008 or M1028 flavor. Basically it's the Army's version of a Chevy K-30 4X4 with beefed-up suspension and other militarized bits. They also have the venerable Detroit Diesel 6.2L engine that was designed the have the power of its contemporary small-block V8 gassers while getting mileage in the mid to high 20's. They're rough and tumble but you'll have a hard time finding something easier to work on and find parts for than these! Plus there are some great web forums for 'em as well with all sorts of tips-n-tricks to make 'em better and keep 'em running great. All it takes is just a little time hunting for the right one and for less than $4K you'll have about the best pickup you can get that no one will park within a mile of. :cool:

pbkid
06/10/2009, 07:38 PM
^^^^ you might of hit the nail on the head...my dad currently drives a 2000 F350 7.3L diesel and loves it...gets 23 MPG...

im just trying to keep my mind open to all possibilities...

im probably trying to get a quad cab (4 door) with a short bed (as i dont have much to carry in the bed, getting the truck more for towing and i think my rottie would be fine with a short bed)

Riff Raff
06/10/2009, 09:07 PM
Peanut Butter Kid--- With today's recession (depression) economy; just find a dealership that is going belly-up and walk-in and name your price. Perhaps, find a soon-to-be bankrupt dealership that has a nice Toyota Tundra on the car lot. Maybe there is a Toyota Dealership near you about to go under with a brand new 2008 Tundra willing to sell for cheap. Hmmm, imagine the possibilities.

kodiak
06/10/2009, 09:48 PM
X2:cool:

Peanut Butter Kid--- With today's recession (depression) economy; just find a dealership that is going belly-up and walk-in and name your price. Perhaps, find a soon-to-be bankrupt dealership that has a nice Toyota Tundra on the car lot. Maybe there is a Toyota Dealership near you about to go under with a brand new 2008 Tundra willing to sell for cheap. Hmmm, imagine the possibilities.

taylorRichie
06/11/2009, 07:27 AM
Peanut Butter... HA! Sorry paintballer, but PB was already taken ;)

And I'm with the above, pick one, and find a dealer going under.

pbkid
06/12/2009, 05:03 PM
ya. i think you guys are right...just wait for the right opportunity to show up ;)