PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Emissions

mdwyer
06/03/2009, 02:57 PM
I just got back from my second Colorado AIR Program emissions test, and have a crisp air quality certificate for my "2000 Isuzu Other". Generally, the VX doesn't seem to have any problems with Colorado's requirements, coming in well below the limits. I'm not sure how the Colorado limits compare with, say, the California requirments, but I've included the actual numbers from my tests below if they help.

An enhanced test is required for gasoline powered passenger cars and light trucks 1982 and newer in the seven-county Denver metro area, which includes the counties of Broomfield, Denver, Jefferson, Boulder, Douglas, and western Arapahoe and Adams counties (west of Kiowa Creek). The enhanced inspection is performed at any one of 14 inspection stations operated by AirCare Colorado. The inspection utilizes a dynamometer which simulates actual driving conditions. The test is good for two years. Motorists are alerted to the need for a test by a notice on their registration renewal forms.

Two years ago, the VX didn't fit on the AWD dyno, and so they administered a basic 2-speed idle test. They placed an inductive RPM pickup on the hood, and clamped a probe into the tailpipe. Then, they run tests while the engine is idle and when it is being held at 2500RPM.

Test 2500RPM / IDLE
HC PPM 71.2 / 53.5 (limit 220.0)
CO% 0.32 / 0.34 (limit 1.2)
CO2% 14.9402 / 14.7917
RPM 2459 / 820 (limit 1350)

This year, they managed to shoehorn the VX onto the rollers, so I got the full test.

HC GPM = 0.1144 (limit 1.2)
CO GPM = 2.4003 (limit 15.0)
CO2 GPM = 488.732
NOx GPM = 0.1675 (limit 2.0)

They also perform a pressure test on your gas cap and visually inspect the catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, and the check engine light. Two years ago, they made sure there was a restrictor plate in the fuel filler, but didn't this year.

Finally, I don't think there is any experience more terrifying that seeing some total stranger bouncing all over the rollers in your VX. If you hoard Xanax for stressful situations, an emissions test might be a good time to break into them. On the other hand, it is sort of interesting to actually SEE the front wheels hesitate for an instant before TOD sends power to them. I'm curious what the dash lights are doing during the test.

MSHardeman
06/03/2009, 08:12 PM
Mike, do you guys have to get emissions tests done just in the Denver area? I haven't done any kind of emissions test, or any other test for that matter, since I moved to Colorado eight years ago. Am I missing something?

mdwyer
06/04/2009, 08:40 AM
I don't think you're missing anything. You'd get a message on your license plate renewal card if you needed an emissions test.

I think there are three levels in Colorado. In the metro area, you need the rollers test. In other parts of the front range, I think you need a 2-speed idle test (PBKid and Moncha can probably answer that). In the boonies, you don't need any tests.

EDIT: The basic test is no longer in effect. The only testing left in Colorado is in the Denver/Boulder metro area.

When my cars were registered in Leadville, I didn't need any tests. When I was going to school in Fort Collins, they threatened us with tickets for not having an AIR sticker because we 'lived and worked' in the area. They never made good on the threats, though.

When I moved to the metro area was the first time I had to concern myself with emissions tests. I suspect that you're still lucky enough to be 'in the boonies', which is why you've never heard anything.

If you do end up coming down off the mountain, your VX probably won't be a problem, at least.

pbkid
06/04/2009, 10:14 AM
no emissions testing in weld county...you can drive a freakin tractor around here lol...

in castle rock, where i went to high school however, you did have to have emissions testing every 2 years...(learned that when i first removed my cat-converter on my integra)

mdwyer
06/04/2009, 12:47 PM
no emissions testing in weld county...you can drive a freakin tractor around here lol...

in castle rock, where i went to high school however, you did have to have emissions testing every 2 years...(learned that when i first removed my cat-converter on my integra)

I'm all confused. I went to the site (http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/ap/mobile.html#auto%20I/M) and found the actual text: The "enhanced program" consists of the counties of Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson as the area west of Kiowa Creek in Adams and Arapahoe counties. The "basic program" area consists of parts of the counties of Larimer, Weld and El Paso.

But on the other hand, Weld County says (http://www.co.weld.co.us/departments/clerkrecorder/motorv/registering_emissions.html), As of January 1st 2007, all gas vehicles in Weld County do not need an emission test.

Larimer and El Paso Counties say the same thing. Apparently, testing in the 'basic' areas has ended. So that leaves only the core metro areas of Denver and Boulder, it appears. It doesn't even extend down into Colorado Springs.

One of my college roommates had a brisk business manufacturing fake EGR gaskets that would allow people to visually pass inspection without actually having a functioning EGR valve. That, and a whole BUNCH of people were all registered to one house in Windsor, so they could do the easy test. :)

pbkid
06/04/2009, 02:15 PM
ya, ive lived in weld county for 5 years and never had to do emissions on any of my vehicles...

i built a 'fake cat' for my teg to pass emissions in douglas county

mdwyer
06/07/2011, 03:13 PM
Well, I just got back from my semi-annual government sanctioned anxiety service. Somehow, I've owned this thing long enough to have gotten my third emissions test. This year, they went back to a two-speed idle test, which is strange since it is the exact same lane that I used two years ago when they managed the shoe-horn the VX onto the rollers. Either the dyno grew in the last two years or the VX shrunk. Osteoporosis, maybe?

The 2-speed idle test is faster, not as strict, and is a whole lot easier on my sanity, since I don't have to visualize the VX falling off the dyno.

Anyway, the results seem to suggest that the VX is getting cleaner in its old age. At the very least, the HC readings suggest that leaving much less fuel unburned. That's probably more a side effect of the different fuel mixtures than anything else, though.

Test 2500RPM / IDLE
HC PPM 30.4 / 11.6 (limit 220.0)
CO% 0.48 / 0.14 (limit 1.2)
CO2% 15.3210 / 14.0520
RPM 2320 / 786 (limit 1350)

hughesdt
06/07/2011, 04:18 PM
I take my VX, and others, to the Boulder emissions testing place. They tried to put the VX on the dyno and couldn't make it work, know what you mean about anxiety levels as it was bouncing all around. Told them it wouldn't fit the next time and they tried anyway. The last time I told the guy it wouldn't fit the last several times, he checked and did the idle test without going through trying the dyno again.

Last couple of times the road side emissions testing has passed me, so no trip to the emissions place. Wasn't sure I'd be very appreciative of them, but so far it has been good.

Dan

pbkid
06/07/2011, 04:50 PM
i remember when i had my VX, i had to register it in Douglas County one time and i was terrified to watch my car bounce all over the place like that.

i was trying to get to the guy to ask him if he should be putting some kind of limit strap on it or something incase one of those tires grabs something.

Its scary to watch all 4 wheels spin at about 55 mph while sitting still, and theres a brick wall in front of your car.

Gizmo42
06/07/2011, 05:40 PM
Scares the crap out of me to. Even though mine only has to do the 2wd rollers, the locker in the back throws it around a lot as it locks and unlocks all the time. Wish they would put limiting straps on them. Have you ever seen one of the fans they put in front of them that wasnt bent to s--t?

mdwyer
06/08/2011, 09:47 AM
They tried to put the VX on the dyno and couldn't make it work. Told them it wouldn't fit the next time and they tried anyway. The last time I told the guy it wouldn't fit the last several times, he checked and did the idle test without going through trying the dyno again.

The one time they did get in on the dyno (2009 Northglenn at 112th, the AWD lane), they had to squeeze the rollers together right to the limits. The VX fit, but barely! I wonder if you're the reason that they didn't run mine this year, then: Maybe they put the VX in the computer as 'banned from the dyno'.

Not that I'm complaining. :)

stt9c1
06/09/2011, 10:11 PM
Guess I won't be looking forward to this. I have to get my VX tested and then registered in the next couple of weeks. :(

mdwyer
06/18/2013, 05:55 PM
Well, they put me back on the two-speed idle again! I'm happy! It is stressful watching someone else drive your VX on the rollers...

Test 2500RPM / IDLE
HC PPM 8.8 / 3.8 (limit 220.0)
CO% 0.03 / 0.04 (limit 1.2)
CO2% 15.5023 / 15.4109
RPM 2401 / 803 (limit 1350)

Gizmo42
06/19/2013, 10:55 AM
Here's mine from last year. I get to do the rollers every time.

YEAR: 1999
MODEL: Rodeo
ENGINE: 3.2 DOHC
CITY/STATE: Aurora, Co.
HC GPM: 0.1262/ 1.20000
CO GPM: 2.0283 / 15.0000
CO2 GPM: 425.6859 / NA
NOX GPM: 0.3813 / 2.0000

MSHardeman
06/19/2013, 12:42 PM
Move on up to the mountains. We don't have to bother with any of that mess.:dan_ban:

Leon R
06/19/2013, 12:51 PM
Most states exempt AWD vehicles from the roller test, because it isn't as safe to perform. Was CO actually testing VX on 2WD rollers?

bartmanS4
06/19/2013, 01:47 PM
No, Colorado has a lot of AWD vehicles so they have a couple of lanes that are specifically made for AWD. It depends on the vehicle what method they use though. I've got a Subaru WRX that goes on the rollers but my VX they took to the side and ran the no load tests.

Gizmo42
06/19/2013, 04:58 PM
Just FYI for Colorado peeps with large tires.

Q.
Tire Sizes and Dynamometers?
A.

Front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles with low profile tire sizes 17 inches or larger in diameter, or vehicles with tire sizes larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test. Vehicles with tires larger or smaller than original equipment that do not fit safely on the dynamometer must be returned to stock condition for testing. Vehicles with non-original undersized or oversized tires will not receive authorization from the state for an idle test.

I had to take the Vulva to the AWD lane but I'm pretty sure the wheel base in it is longer then a VX.

VXorado
06/20/2013, 04:11 AM
Just FYI for Colorado peeps with large tires.

That's why I register the VX in Colorado Springs where they happily accept your money without emissions. :thumbup: