PDA

View Full Version : Rear Door Spare Tire Mount

tom4bren
06/03/2009, 01:21 PM
A lot of you have made it ABUNDANTLY clear how you feel about mounting a full size spare on the rear door. You don't need to repeat yourself. I heard you the first time:)

Others have asked how the PO mounted it on mine so here are a few pix:

http://pbase.com/tom4bren/090530_window_fixin_party

I probably should have made a seperate folder but all the pix were taken at the same time.

The U-channel on the outside of the back door looks like a factory piece he scrounged from somewhere. I don't know what the hub piece is that he welded to it but the studs are just press in.

Inside the door are two rather hefty plates to spread out the load so that the sheet metal isn't deformed.

I'll try to get the pix loaded in my gallery later (for some reason, they wouldn't take).

Tom

LittleBeast
06/03/2009, 02:10 PM
You've NEVER been able to post pics correctly! Why start now? :grino:

oohh look I used the "quote" button correctly ;) Another thing Tom seems to never do correctly..... ever.

pbkid
06/03/2009, 02:13 PM
is it rip on tom day?? damn, i missed the memo...

uh.....i dont much.....

uhhhhh

proton sucks??!!

CrnCnn
06/03/2009, 02:30 PM
I missed the memo too..

I may not like it for my truck Tom, but its not THAT bad really. I have considered it.

pbkid
06/03/2009, 03:08 PM
i actually LOVE the look of the rear mounted like that...i just dont know about the strength of the sheet metal in the door, or the hinges...

tom and i have talked, and he hasnt had any issues, but im pretty hard on my VX and may put more stress on its metal and joints than others ;)

CrnCnn
06/03/2009, 07:01 PM
How is your door holding up? Do you open it alot?

crotchrocket
06/04/2009, 03:27 AM
A lot of you have made it ABUNDANTLY clear how you feel about mounting a full size spare on the rear door. You don't need to repeat yourself. I heard you the first time:)

Others have asked how the PO mounted it on mine so here are a few pix:

http://pbase.com/tom4bren/090530_window_fixin_party

I probably should have made a seperate folder but all the pix were taken at the same time.

The U-channel on the outside of the back door looks like a factory piece he scrounged from somewhere. I don't know what the hub piece is that he welded to it but the studs are just press in.

Inside the door are two rather hefty plates to spread out the load so that the sheet metal isn't deformed.

I'll try to get the pix loaded in my gallery later (for some reason, they wouldn't take).

Tom

Sorry to change the subject, but who's is the grey VX with the luggage rack?

Marlin
06/04/2009, 04:07 AM
Well Tom, after seeing the pics, I was going to make it a harder project than it really is. I was thinking of a custom fab for the mount, now I realize all I need to do is hit the junkyard and find an existing 6 on 5.5 spare mount. That looks like a 2 hour project...tops. Then I can get that 100lb spare off the roof, which will help in gas and prevent the risk of a future rack failure. Jack, I know you are worried about the door, but 99.9% of the time it is closed and all the weight is shared on the latch and frame of the door. When we wheel, think about how much force is applied to the luggage rack!!! Its only a matter of time until one fails, in Moab one of my rack brackets failed, I have since modded the brackets, they will never fail again, but it was certainly an eye opener. So much force on the crossbars with that weight sling shotting around up there.
I will post pics as I go along, maybe write up a "How to".

crager34
06/04/2009, 05:53 AM
I am going to do this mod!!! Now... anyone know the specs and wehre to get one of those spare tire mounts? Is it an OEM item from another MFGR or was it fabbed?

WHAT WHAT!! TELL ME EVERYTHING!! :p

tom4bren
06/04/2009, 06:51 AM
"oohh look I used the "quote" button correctly Another thing Tom seems to never do correctly..... ever."

My way uses less bandwidth, so ... PPHHHTT.

"You've NEVER been able to post pics correctly! Why start now?"

It was a size issue (something you may not have ever experienced). I need to set my camera to lower res.

"who's is the grey VX with the luggage rack?"

CSTYLES ownes that one - it's sweeet!

"How is your door holding up? Do you open it alot?"

Alla time. It's holding up great, just a little wear on the wedge shaped bracket when the door closes. I'm reeeeeal careful opening the door tho & never let it get away from me, that much weight would prolly rip the door right off the VX if it swung open too fast/hard. There is NO deformation of the sheet metal.

"is it rip on tom day?? damn, i missed the memo..."

No memo - it just naturally evolved. My warped humor is coming back to bite me in the butt.

"proton sucks"

I have no response to that.

"I may not like it for my truck Tom, but its not THAT bad really. I have considered it."

Wow, now that's a left handed compliment.

"anyone know the specs and wehre to get one of those spare tire mounts? Is it an OEM item from another MFGR or was it fabbed?"

If you can be patient, it looks like Marlin will do the leg work for you.

Tom

CrnCnn
06/04/2009, 06:55 AM
When we wheel, think about how much force is applied to the luggage rack!!! Its only a matter of time until one fails, in Moab one of my rack brackets failed

I wonder about departure angle? I just worry about it catching on something. I know it should be high enough but you never know. Also, my rack came loose in Moab last year too. I see your point.

I am going to do this mod!!! Now... anyone know the specs and wehre to get one of those spare tire mounts? Is it an OEM item from another MFGR or was it fabbed?

WHAT WHAT!! TELL ME EVERYTHING!! :p

I was at the junk yard a few months ago and was thinking the mount off the trooper door might work. I didnt even pay attention to the pattern or anything mostly looking into the mounting strength.

I really have thought about this. I use my door alot though cause my dog goes where I go usually. So I worry about the maine brackets.

CrnCnn
06/04/2009, 06:56 AM
"I may not like it for my truck Tom, but its not THAT bad really. I have considered it."

Wow, now that's a left handed compliment.

Tom

Well, I am a lefty.

not politically. Just a lefty.

tom4bren
06/04/2009, 07:17 AM
"I wonder about departure angle? I just worry about it catching on something. I know it should be high enough but you never know."

I'll have to measure the departure angle but in just eyeballing it, I'd say the rear cladding will be sacrificed long before the spare tire.

"Well, I am a lefty."

So ... you're the only one of us in his right mind?

Tom

Ldub
06/04/2009, 07:46 AM
I'm in my right mind too, you just can't tell...

I, for one, would never ever do this mod, mostly because I am sure it would really screw things up on trails like Hell's Revenge and Fins 'N Things and Steel Bender... If you aren't going to go on trails like that (wall climbing and descending) it is prob'ly fine... except for perhaps a point Chopper made sometime ago about excess weight on the hinges. Don't really know about that though...

The ultimate mod for trails like that is an open diff...:smilewink...:laughgray

tom4bren
06/04/2009, 07:50 AM
"you just can't tell"

Hey, Zeus & I are in 100% agreement for a change:)

"wall climbing and descending"

Yer right - those situations could be a problem - I guess I could remove the spare, roll it down the hill, pick it up when I get there ...

CrnCnn
06/04/2009, 08:00 AM
I'm in my right mind too, you just can't tell...

I, for one, would never ever do this mod, mostly because I am sure it would really screw things up on trails like Hell's Revenge and Fins 'N Things and Steel Bender... If you aren't going to go on trails like that (wall climbing and descending) it is prob'ly fine... except for perhaps a point Chopper made sometime ago about excess weight on the hinges. Don't really know about that though...

Thats what I was thinking, I know there were some spots on hells revenge that would catch the tire.

LittleBeast
06/04/2009, 09:51 AM
"You've NEVER been able to post pics correctly! Why start now?"

It was a size issue (something you may not have ever experienced).

Tom

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :bwgy:

pbkid
06/04/2009, 09:55 AM
im pretty sure you are right justin, just by looking at pictures...the approach and departure angle would definately suffer

pbkid
06/04/2009, 09:57 AM
The ultimate mod for trails like that is an open diff...:smilewink...:laughgray

HAHHAHAHA ;) i actually laughed out loud on that one.... lol

ZEUS Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldub
The ultimate mod for trails like that is an open diff......

...or a crap load of weight in and on top of a VX...

hahaha right back at ya...

i love this family...

pbkid
06/04/2009, 09:58 AM
damnit it didnt work....how do you guys do more than one quote per box???

Scott Harness
06/04/2009, 10:04 AM

Click on the multi-qoute icon. It's the one with the qoutation marks,next to the qoute icon

LittleBeast
06/04/2009, 10:04 AM
HAHHAHAHA ;) i actually laughed out loud on that one.... lol

ZEUS Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldub
The ultimate mod for trails like that is an open diff......

...or a crap load of weight in and on top of a VX...

hahaha right back at ya...

i love this family...

On the above quotes you would simply click on the "+" sign which is the multi-quote button on all the multiple different quotes you want to reference and then on the last post you want to quote go ahead and click on the normal "quote" button and it will come out looking like what I did above.

pbkid
06/04/2009, 10:18 AM
On the above quotes you would simply click on the "+" sign which is the multi-quote button on all the multiple different quotes you want to reference and then on the last post you want to quote go ahead and click on the normal "quote" button and it will come out looking like what I did above.

Click on the multi-qoute icon. It's the one with the qoutation marks,next to the qoute icon

ahhh.... i see....

thanks guys

Marlin
06/04/2009, 10:39 AM
As far as departure angles, I would think that the tire will sit high enough that you would lose cladding first? I think the pics of Tom's may be deceiving do to the huge offset he has as well. That tire is wide!!!!! Plus, if you have a hitch back there, that takes all the hits anyway. I suppose my hitch is more of a rear skid plate than an actual hitch.
As far as legwork for the mount, I am gonna go to the junkyard this weekend if it ever stops raining and take a look at some rodeos and troopers, maybe some older Pathfinders or 4runners if the bolt pattern is right. I will let you guys know. The more I started thinking about the stress on the roof rack, the more worried I am getting. If that thing comes off while driving...it will kill someone. That does not sound like fun in my book.
As far as door deformation, I think a backing plate is very important to distribute the stress, and as Tom said, be careful when you open the door, and keep it lubricated. When was the last time you lubed YOUR rear end?:rolleyes:

pbkid
06/04/2009, 10:51 AM
When was the last time you lubed YOUR rear end?:rolleyes:
i have no response to that....

and im kinda dissapointed that we didnt get some sort of really technical answer from you about the stress....Mr. aeronautical guy...

Marlin
06/04/2009, 02:36 PM
i have no response to that....

and im kinda dissapointed that we didnt get some sort of really technical answer from you about the stress....Mr. aeronautical guy...

Aeronautical? I am a nuclear engineer. Nothing to do with aeronautical:) As far as stress, as I said, the door sits in a frame 99.9% of the time, I am not worried about 40 or 50 extra pounds as compared to the spare.

No response, really? I expected more from you...

pbkid
06/04/2009, 02:53 PM
eh...aeronautical....nuclear....same thing right ;)

im just waiting for some guinea pigs that wheel to find out what happens.........

chris??

tomdietrying
06/04/2009, 04:40 PM
I also like the rear door mount look. Who knows maybe I'll do it too. I'll let Jack do it first and get all the wrinkles out of it first.
Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
06/04/2009, 05:02 PM
im just waiting for some guinea pigs that wheel to find out what happens.........

Dropping off some of those Moab ledges with a spare mounted out back would definately "reshape" the rear hatch! I think a removeable baja style mount in the rear is what I'd go with...but I'm quite happy with a few ratchet straps in the rear.:cool::smilewink

Riff Raff
06/04/2009, 06:53 PM
Hmmm, using the rear VX door as a full-size spare mounting point like on Tom's VX gives me the hebee-jebee's. It is way too much stress on the VX door hinges and thin sheet metal.

A much better idea is to use a 2" square receiver tow hitch for the "mounting point" for a full-size spare. Just go to www.JCWhitney.com and type-in "SPARE MOUNT" in the little search box. There you will find various 2" tow hitch mounts for spare tires.

Plus, you can use the full-size spare only when you go 4-Wheeling, and leave it off (at home) when you're around town. This method will save you from butchering your VX rear door; and save gas money, as you would only use the big spare tire when going off-road.

TRIATHLETE--- Your idea is the very best of all, and surely the cheapest; that is to merely strap down a full-size spare in the cargo area behind the rear seat. Be sure to use motorcycle straps thru the wheel and tied to the anchor loops in the rear cargo area to prevent the spare tire from hitting you upside the head in case of a roll-over accident. This method works well, as the full-size spare can just stay in the garage until it's needed for an off-road trip. Simple.

The baja style mount like Jolly Roger's (see below) "looks good"; but is really impractical, as it totally eats up too much valuable cargo space that could be used for other necessary off-road/camping gear. Total waste of space.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/04/2009, 08:52 PM
I think a removeable baja style mount in the rear is what I'd go with...but I'm quite happy with a few ratchet straps in the rear.:cool::smilewink

mean like this.......:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/2008_Moab_Utah_pics_168.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/2008_Moab_Utah_pics_170.jpg

Ldub
06/04/2009, 08:57 PM
...or a crap load of weight in and on top of a VX... :p

That has saved YOUR butt at least once...:rolleyes:...:_wrench:...:laughgray

Marlin
06/05/2009, 05:56 AM
Just to piss Justin off, I am going to evaluate putting the full size spare inside the original spare location first. It may require some cutting of that internal brace for the factory spare, but I am willing to do that. I also understand that my door insert won't be effective anymore, and I am also ok with that, now I will have two of them in the garage. I will post how that works out. It would give me the best of both worlds, get the spare off the roof, and not drill as many holes, especially externally, on the VX. I do lose my rear bumper bonus, but eh, you win some, you lose some.

tom4bren
06/05/2009, 05:56 AM
"Hmmm, using the rear VX door as a full-size spare mounting point like on Tom's VX gives me the hebee-jebee's."

Yer Welcome. Glad to know I still have that effect on people.

"It is way too much stress on the VX door hinges and thin sheet metal."

No damage to date. My primary concern is that if I ever get rear ended, the spare will prolly focus all that energy into the door & we all know how hard they are to replace.

"A much better idea is to use a 2" square receiver tow hitch for the "mounting point" for a full-size spare. Just go to www.JCWhitney.com and type-in "SPARE MOUNT" in the little search box. There you will find various 2" tow hitch mounts for spare tires."

I haven't checked their site in a while but when I did, I wasn't too wild about their selection. All of the ones they offered came straight out & I wanted one that angled up from the receiver. I also wanted one that would drop down so you could open the door without removing the spare.

Tom

Triathlete
06/05/2009, 10:47 AM
mean like this.......:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/2008_Moab_Utah_pics_168.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/2008_Moab_Utah_pics_170.jpg

Nope...would have the tire staight up and down on one side or the other...of course that is if the tires are not too tall!:cool:

CrnCnn
06/05/2009, 10:52 AM
Nope...would have the tire staight up and down on one side or the other...of course that is if the tires are not too tall!:cool:

Thats my plan. Plans are in my head and a guy at work said he would give me some of the metal he has and weld it if Beau isnt available for it. I need the room back there for the pup and what not, so I couldnt mount it like Jolly rogers.

tom4bren
06/05/2009, 10:58 AM
Hope y'all like the smell of rubber. Having the spare inside will certainly add to the ambience.

nfpgasmask
06/05/2009, 11:01 AM
I haven't read through all the replies in this thread, but has anyone mentioned that mounting the spare on the outside of the rear door completely defaces the nice looking booty of our beloved VXes? Forget about the technical problems, it just don't look right!!! (IMHO) I feel the same way about safari bars and brush guards going over the front end. The VX is such an awesome looking machine, why cover up its best features??? Of course, to each his own... :D

:rotate: Bart

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/05/2009, 11:04 AM
Hope y'all like the smell of rubber. Having the spare inside will certainly add to the amviance (sp?).

Nothing was worse than the original rubber mat I bought to line my cargo space. The smell was like roofer's tar...or 1000 cartons of cigarettes were smoked inside my VX. It was just horrible and had to go...

Bart

tom4bren
06/05/2009, 11:10 AM
"has anyone mentioned that mounting the spare on the outside of the rear door completely defaces the nice looking booty of our beloved VXes?"

No but I was waiting.

IMHO, the spare actually continues the body line 'in a quite aestetically pleasing manner.'

(sorry for the paraphrase - can't remember where it came from):)

"Nothing was worse than the original rubber mat I bought to line my cargo space."

I know what you mean. I had to 'cook' my rubber floor mats in the sun for a week before I could put them in the car.

Marlin
06/05/2009, 11:13 AM
Alright, first update, no way its fittin inside without major mod to interior door frame, so that is a no go for me.
I went to the junkyard, picked up a rear door spare mount off of a Nissan Pathfinder. 100% bolt on, 6 on 5.5 pattern, one of the lugs has a padlock attachment built into it. Only took me about 2 minutes with a 14mm socket to get it off. Cost me 20 bucks. This will be a quick job tomorrow morning, I will post pics when I am done. He is trying to track down any other Vxs in south carolina within the junkyard community. He at least knew what it was when I pulled in.
They had several other isuzus, thread jack, do all of the manual hubs off of isuzus fit ours? They had a 88 Trooper and a 93 Amigo with manual hubs. He said 50 bucks a pair if I pull em. I will probably haggle for both sets for 75, that way I have spares. I cycled all 4, they felt clean, smooth action, no binding. They looked identical. The computer there showed that all the Isuzus used the same size hubs, be it manual or auto.
Any other parts I should look out for, under the hood they were complete as far as engines and support components. They had several 90s models and early 2k Rodeos.

tom4bren
06/05/2009, 11:18 AM
Marlin,

I forgot to mention that the PO put a layer of padding (some kind of closed cell foam) under the bracket. He only did it on the outside bracket though.

You can sorta see it in my pix (but only if you're looking for it).

Tom

Triathlete
06/05/2009, 11:30 AM
Marlin, as far as the hubs...if he will give you a good deal take them. Even if they don't fit you can clean them up and double your money saling them on PlanetIsuzoo.com. Give Matt at Indy4x a call and he will know if they will work. Are they Warn or Asins? They should be 17 spline I believe.

nfpgasmask
06/05/2009, 11:32 AM
They had several other isuzus, thread jack, do all of the manual hubs off of isuzus fit ours? They had a 88 Trooper and a 93 Amigo with manual hubs. He said 50 bucks a pair if I pull em. I will probably haggle for both sets for 75, that way I have spares. I cycled all 4, they felt clean, smooth action, no binding. They looked identical. The computer there showed that all the Isuzus used the same size hubs, be it manual or auto.
Any other parts I should look out for, under the hood they were complete as far as engines and support components. They had several 90s models and early 2k Rodeos.

I would ask the PlanetIsuzu guys. AFAIK, it depends on the spline count. I pulled a pair of WARN manual hubs off a 90 Trooper and have yet to see if they fit my Trooper. I think they will since my Trooper is a 91 and the donor vehicle was a 90, but I suppose there is still a chance. IIRC, the 1st of the 1st gen Troopers had a different spline count than the later 1st gens. The WARNs I got are nice. I hope they fit. :thumbup:

Bart

Marlin
06/05/2009, 11:41 AM
Marlin, as far as the hubs...if he will give you a good deal take them. Even if they don't fit you can clean them up and double your money saling them on PlanetIsuzoo.com. Give Matt at Indy4x a call and he will know if they will work. Are they Warn or Asins? They should be 17 spline I believe.

I do know ours are 17 spline. Kodiak, what brand are yours, they look indentical to the ones you had on. The red face style.
I will try tomorrow.

As far as the foam under the bracket, I was actually planning on using the non-skid type tool drawer liner, it should prevent the bracket from rubbing against the door, thus preventing rust. It also will give a bit of room for water to evaporate.

I believe that it the rear door will look fine with the tire. It is already shaped like the tire, even the rear window is curved to match. Mine will also cover my dent:)

Marlin
06/05/2009, 12:19 PM
Hey, come on... that wouldn't piss me off at all! ...In fact, I already tried it - the tire was way too big to take it one step further even if it were resting at a 60 degree angle - other than that, the structural integrity would be too compromised for it to work. My favorite idea regarding all this was to remove the hatch completely and replace it with one made of tube so the spare would swing on it and sit right above the bumper instead of behind it... it would only work for the dedicated wheeling VX I have in my dreams tho!

I was referring to the changing my mind aspect...
Anyway, I looked real hard at the Pathfinder mounting system. It is separate of the door, and it actually mounts to the side of the vehicle, placing the weight on a different set of hinges. It would be difficult to make it fit the contours of the VX though. It would not be impossible and it would still allow convenient access to the door vice the hitch type spare mount. Not a fan of the hitch type at all. We shall see tomorrow morning, I should have pics up by lunch if it stops raining.

CrnCnn
06/05/2009, 12:19 PM
Hey, come on... that wouldn't piss me off at all! ...In fact, I already tried it - the tire was way too big to take it one step further even if it were resting at a 60 degree angle - other than that, the structural integrity would be too compromised for it to work. My favorite idea regarding all this was to remove the hatch completely and replace it with one made of tube so the spare would swing on it and sit right above the bumper instead of behind it... it would only work for the dedicated wheeling VX I have in my dreams tho!

I can imagine it now. A rear tube door. All that visibility. Awww... soothing....

Triathlete
06/05/2009, 12:38 PM
What about a vertical "tube" carrier that would allow the tire to sit right in front of the factory spare space. You could remove the cover and donut to get the tire as far to the rear as possible. Put a hinge and pin at the bottom so when the door is open it can swing down for ease of removal and to access other stuff in the rear.:cool:

VX1032
06/05/2009, 01:15 PM
Hubs:

Both should fit, the 93 for sure, the 88 most likely. I think 87 is the break for the 8 bolt front axles. The red ones are the aisins. strongest hubs out there but way too expensive to buy new. I went with Warns instead of getting scrap aisins and rebuilding. Matt at indie has rebuild kits you an buy for the aisins.

Tire mount:

sounds like you are too far in, but have you ever thought, what I will do eventually, to creat a shelf in the back of the VX that the spare tire can slip under? I know my 285/75 would fit in nicely. The area could have some extra area around the sides, and infront behind the seats plenty of room for an OBA tank. you lose the rear seat though, but I think most of us are well past that point. Also, no external fabrication needed. its all contained inside.

kodiak
06/05/2009, 01:39 PM
Kodiak, what brand are yours, they look indentical to the ones you had on. The red face style.

They’re stock Aisin manual hubs. They came off of a first gen Rodeo. They sell for about $25 each here. I haven’t been to pick and pull this month. I’m waiting for one of there 50% off days.

Marlin
06/05/2009, 01:46 PM
Interesting... you could mount the tire just above the floor but have a pad for it to sit on to relieve stress from the mount during travel. Still don't like the weight tho...

I am not sure what this weight we are talking about is coming from. I just weighed the spare and mounting hardware and then my full size spare. The spare and hardware was about 27lbs. My full size was about 70 with the new bracket.
Assuming the whole door is around 300lbs, that is an increase of around 12.5 percent or so. That is not significant at all. Even if the door was 200lbs, that is still only around 20%, still well within engineering specifications.
The real concern would be departure angle, which I believe you would lose cladding first, and as Tom said, for the once in a lifetime need, you could always remove the tire right quick and clear your obstacle. A PITA, but you might do it once...ever.
Jack, is that a better presentation...LOL.

Marlin
06/05/2009, 02:05 PM
tank. you lose the rear seat though, but I think most of us are well past that point. Also, no external fabrication needed. its all contained inside.

Loss of rear seat is not an option for me. Otherwise I agree that would be the best route, just put everything on top of the spare. Or even just stand it on its side behind the seat like the cherokee. Not a significant loss.
Nope, its goin on the door tomorrow morning, if worst comes to worst, I can always just take it off and install the bolts with some RTV, paint them some color I deem fitting and you are left with a very subtle mod remnant that the average person would never even notice.

pbkid
06/05/2009, 06:02 PM
I'll let Jack do it first and get all the wrinkles out of it first.
Peace.
Tom

whoa whoa whoa.... i said i wasnt gonna be the guinea pig...(tom, im refering to a guinea pig who offroads on a regular basis ;) )

Dropping off some of those Moab ledges with a spare mounted out back would definately "reshape" the rear hatch! I think a removeable baja style mount in the rear is what I'd go with...but I'm quite happy with a few ratchet straps in the rear.:cool::smilewink

ya, thats EXACTLY what im worried about...

Jack, is that a better presentation...LOL.
thats more like it ;)

with all this talk, i have actually came up with a great idea... may work for some, maybe not for others, i havent actually measured so i dont know, but its worth a try...
why not build a wooden or metal box where the factory spare goes, and mount your full size spare on the inside of that??
would eliminate our small amount of cargo space, but would hold the tire, take the weight off the sheet metal, and still be able to carry a full size spare...

hmmm.... ill let you guys know how it works once i get the money to build the box lol :naughty:

Marlin
06/05/2009, 06:07 PM
why not build a wooden or metal box where the factory spare goes, and mount your full size spare on the inside of that??
would eliminate our small amount of cargo space, but would hold the tire, take the weight off the sheet metal, and still be able to carry a full size spare...

hmmm.... ill let you guys know how it works once i get the money to build the box lol :naughty:

I looked at it, the fit for the factory spare is very tight, so if you are beyond the factory size, which almost all of us are, it won't work to use any of the interior of the spare area.
I was thinkin along those lines too, but no go.

pbkid
06/05/2009, 06:10 PM
no no...you mis understand...recreate the cover for the rear door, in wood or metal (so you can mount whatever you want 'inside' of the wood/metal cage..

then mount the full size spare on the outside of the box/cage built....basically taking up the cargo space we do have...

say, you had your back seat in, and stood your full size spare up inside your VX behind the back seat...mount it in that area, but attached to the rear door...

you could even use the factory mounting system for the factory spare...that way you always can get the spare unmounted (with the factory lug wrench)

pbkid
06/05/2009, 06:10 PM
quick installation and removal when going wheeling, and it doesnt comprimise any of these things people mentioned ;)

just space

etlsport
06/05/2009, 06:13 PM
Hope y'all like the smell of rubber. Having the spare inside will certainly add to the ambience.

i got one up on you.. check my other thread for details..

Triathlete
06/05/2009, 06:43 PM
with all this talk, i have actually came up with a great idea... may work for some, maybe not for others, i havent actually measured so i dont know, but its worth a try...

Thats what I described above only with tubing instead of a box and instead of mounting to the door mount to the floor with a hinge so it swings down and out!:rolleyes:

pbkid
06/05/2009, 06:52 PM
Thats what I described above only with tubing instead of a box and instead of mounting to the door mount to the floor with a hinge so it swings down and out!:rolleyes:

great minds think alike ;)

Riff Raff
06/05/2009, 07:18 PM
Hmmm, my main question is: Is the full-size spare planned to be VX carried full-time OR only on off-road outings???

If the full-size spare is only planned for off-road outings, then the "donut" should be retained for urban travel.

pbkid
06/05/2009, 07:21 PM
Hmmm, my main question is: Is the full-size spare planned to be VX carried full-time OR only on off-road outings???

If the full-size spare is only planned for off-road outings, then the "donut" should be retained for urban travel.
donut will not work if you change your tires from stock AT ALL....

i keep my full size spare with me all the time...

Triathlete
06/05/2009, 08:30 PM
Another option for those with no back seat might be a cradle with a ratchet strap over the top of the tire like the ralley trucks use...
http://www.tubusracing.com/sv/images/headers/rotate1.jpg

LittleBeast
06/06/2009, 07:30 AM

Yeah never ever put any other sized tire on the VX on any one or two tires, your TOD will fry like a poptart's wrapper in the microwave ;)

Marlin
06/06/2009, 07:58 AM
Alright boys and girls, as promised I completed the project. I now know why there is no deformation on Toms door. It isn't just sheet metal. The outer painted piece is standard body sheet metal, but it is layered on top of some pretty thick stuff. I did not go the same route as Tom's PO did. I used longer bolts and went all the way through the inner spare support portion. I used 3/8" bolts, 4.5 inches long with nylock nuts. I mounted it more like studs, with the head of the bolt inside the door. This enabled me to keep my gas can in the door. Now the weight should not be on the outer steel, but most should be distributed inside the spare area, which is also some heavy duty steel. Overall, including removing the isuzu badge, took about 1.25 hours or so. Not long at all. It came out pretty good, I still need to find a way to mount the license plate, but the way I have will do for now. I was running around with no rear cladding and on the way to Ace Hardware, I cop turned around in the road to come get me, but I think he got a call, cause he ended up doin a 360 with his lights on, I was the only other car out, but on the way home, I saw what I assume to be the same cop at a house with his lights on...seriously doubt I would have gotten a ticket, if I explained what I was doin, I had the plate in the passenger seat.
If anyone has anymore questions about this project, it is pretty easy. The door didn't seem to hang any different, as I said, a 20% weight change is not significant. Once again, the bracket came off of a Pathfinder, it has a padlock stud built into it. The angle of departure and approach shouldn't be affected too much either, it sits pretty high off the ground.
Materials needed:
Drill, 3/8" metal bit
4 3/8x4.5" bolts, 8 flat washers, 4 lock washers and 4 nylock nuts
9/16 socket, and a 9/16 wrench
sharpie marker
tape measure
1 spare mount off of a Nissan Pathfinder(make sure you get all three lugnuts too, I only got two, I am a dummy...)
Some tool drawer rubber or somethin for behind the bracket
Primer(for the holes after you drill them)
Putty knife for taking the ISUZU badge off and some goo gone for residue.
An extra hand may be needed when tightening the bolts, I couldn't reach all the way inside and outside at the same time.
I had to take the cladding off, I wish I had mounted it about 2 inches higher. The bottom bolts ended up on curved portion of the door, which was a PITA to drill, hence the cladding removal, I did tear up some plastic trying to drill those holes out, but nothing you can see once the bracket is mounted. Overall I put this project at a 6 out of 10, but only cause you gotta measure precisely or else risk it being crooked. I think mine may be off a tiny bit, but nothing significant. I did notice that my bracket is a little bent, that is my bad, didn't check at the junkyard, but no biggie. The only deformation was a bit of the cladding, as you tighten the bolts down, it compresses the cladding a bit, but nothing extreme.
Here are the pics:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0262.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0260.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0263.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0261.jpg

Marlin
06/06/2009, 08:05 AM
The biggest problem I noted, my stickers are covered up!!!!!!!! Now I have to move my extra Jeep Recovery Sticker, glad I bought two. ;)
The door opens smoothly, no rubbing, nothing abnormal at all from what I can tell. I bounced it around, hung on the spare, no bending of the metal. I think this is a solid mount. For those looking for an option, I think this is a good one...

Marlin
06/06/2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah never ever put any other sized tire on the VX on any one or two tires, your TOD will fry like a poptart's wrapper in the microwave ;)

I would think you could get away with a different size in the front...if you have manual hubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why that is my next mod, plus I wanna do donuts and I like the idea of being able to disengage the front in case of CV problems. That way I can still drive it.

CrnCnn
06/06/2009, 02:32 PM
Not too bad. I just am not sold on it yet. I would love to see one in person to decide for myself if I want to do this. I think it looks unfinished. As I dont need or even have a rear seat anymore I am still thinking of going with the inside vertical mount like I have been planning.

Edit: After thinking about it. I wonder about something that would be a little lower. Like where the lower cladding is. Something that I could remove for around town use and put the tire inside and would not ruin the look of the door by having an ugly bracket sitting there. But on trips when the back is loaded and I want the space that the spare is taking by standing there I could pull it and mount it back there. Hmmm. I'll need to think about this more....

Scott Harness
06/06/2009, 04:22 PM
Not too bad. I just am not sold on it yet.

Mine fits great on the inside,If I need the space that bad,I'll do roof basket.:cool:

tomdietrying
06/06/2009, 04:31 PM
I think it looks great! Nice job.
Peace.
Tom

Marlin
06/06/2009, 04:55 PM
I think it looks great! Nice job.
Peace.
Tom

Thanks Tom. I did some more playing, and rocked the car around with the tire, still no flex of the metal. I need to go hit some mud holes around here. See what comes of it.

Triathlete
06/06/2009, 07:03 PM
I like the idea of being able to disengage the front in case of CV problems. That way I can still drive it.

Nope, don't work that way. The hubs are at the end of the line. If a CV goes bad it will still be spinning with the hub dis-engaged. The tires just won't be driven. In order for it to work you would have to have a TOD disconnect switch, a JDM transfer case or a real transfer case so you can dis-engage the drive shaft.
The VX as it is with manual hubs dis-engaged the drive shaft and axle shafts are still spinning.

Triathlete
06/06/2009, 07:10 PM
Edit: After thinking about it. I wonder about something that would be a little lower. Like where the lower cladding is. Something that I could remove for around town use and put the tire inside and would not ruin the look of the door by having an ugly bracket sitting there. But on trips when the back is loaded and I want the space that the spare is taking by standing there I could pull it and mount it back there. Hmmm. I'll need to think about this more....

Something like this would do the job and be more functional. It would totally protect your cladding and it swings down for door access! If I was to do an outside mount this is what I would check into...
http://4wheelonline.com/Images/CategoryImages/SPDR-RearStingers.jpg

Marlin
06/06/2009, 07:22 PM
Nope, don't work that way. The hubs are at the end of the line. If a CV goes bad it will still be spinning with the hub dis-engaged. The tires just won't be driven. In order for it to work you would have to have a TOD disconnect switch, a JDM transfer case or a real transfer case so you can dis-engage the drive shaft.
The VX as it is with manual hubs dis-engaged the drive shaft and axle shafts are still spinning.

I was thinking more along the lines of this...I got this from the manual hubs thread. It would be more than a flip of a switch, but better than nothing.

Hubs
Awhile ago we spent alot of time discussing whether lockable hubs are any advantage. It was part of the TOD 2wd selector discussion (mbeach, me and others). The hubs disconnect the wheels from the front halfshafts. True the TOD does keep the whole front spinning, however it can't send torque there. I have lockable hubs and here is why:

1) Better gas mileage. I've monitored this with a scan gauge. On a 40 mile round trip at 70 miles an hour I got 1.4 mpg better with the hubs disengaged as opposed to locked. These runs were back to back on the same day, same conditions on the same highway both directions to combat any wind. I even refueled to keep the weight the same. On my 1900 miles to and from moab this year I averaged 19.8 mpg with the hubs disconnected. (albeit driving like a grandma)

1a) At one point I had the TOD cut off (there is a blue wire, its in the previous discussions) and I seemed to get even better mileage but never tested it. I reconnected it to prevent any damage and I was tired of the check light on the TOD.

2) With the hubs disconnected. The TOD cannot transmit any TORQUE to the wheels. So the reliability is better because nothing is loaded. I am lifted and have had a hell of a time with my CV's. Granted they are still spinning but that is much better than spinning AND transmitting torque. As for whether the front axle freewheeling is a good thing; It can't over spin (ie go faster than the rear), it freewheels some of the time with the TOD anyway, so I've never seen any problem.

3) 2wd is fun. In the snow and rain it is a hoot. Plus it is all you really need most of the time (my opinion, others will differ)

4) Bragging rights for climbing obstacles in 2wd are always better than those in 4wd.

5) If you break a cv on the trail you can ulock the hubs and unbolt the front axle from the TOD and get home. (I've never had to do this, yet, Though I tried it to make sure it works just in case.)

So thats my 2 cents. I have the superwinch hubs and they have held up fine. Though if I had to do it over again I probably would've just pulled some from a trooper.

Ldub
06/06/2009, 10:44 PM
So thats my 2 cents. I have the superwinch hubs and they have held up fine. Though if I had to do it over again I probably would've just pulled some from a trooper.

There are varying schools of thought on the Superwinch vs. Aisin hub debate.

While Aisin's are considered stronger/better built, some say it's better to use the Superwinch or other aftermarket hubs as a "fuse" to prevent CV damage.
Having the hub grenade before any CV damage happens would make for a much easier trail repair if you carry a spare hub...:_wrench:

Marlin
06/07/2009, 05:10 AM
There are varying schools of thought on the Superwinch vs. Aisin hub debate.

While Aisin's are considered stronger/better built, some say it's better to use the Superwinch or other aftermarket hubs as a "fuse" to prevent CV damage.
Having the hub grenade before any CV damage happens would make for a much easier trail repair if you carry a spare hub...:_wrench:

Interesting thought, purposely buy an inferior product to act as a sacrifical anode for your CVs....

After I do the hubs, I am gonna do the HID roof lights. Ldub, yours were blinding. I am going with H11s, I can get the fixtures for about 20 bucks a piece and the HID kit, transformer, ballast and bulb for about 50 bucks a pair. That is less than a 100 bucks to do the project, just gotta find a cool box to put the ballast and transformer in...Tupperware maybe>:smack:

crager34
06/07/2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks Marlin for all the leg work. Heading out to the junk yards to find a mount today!! :cool:

How about some pics of the inside of the door. Come on... your a RAD guy.... you can do it.

Ldub
06/07/2009, 01:26 PM
just gotta find a cool box to put the ballast and transformer in...Tupperware maybe>:smack:

Here's what I used...

http://www.mysigg.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=31

Might be able to snoop em' for le$$ on ebay...:_confused

Marlin
06/08/2009, 07:04 AM
Here's what I used...

http://www.mysigg.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=31

Might be able to snoop em' for le$$ on ebay...:_confused

Very nice, and they have them in Pink!!!!!

I was looking at this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-Waterproof-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Gear-Box-Case_W0QQitemZ260422751385QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3ca267d499&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

and yes I know, thread jack...

Marlin
06/08/2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks Marlin for all the leg work. Heading out to the junk yards to find a mount today!! :cool:

How about some pics of the inside of the door. Come on... your a RAD guy.... you can do it.

Not a problem, I will snap some pics when I get home, but as I said, not a whole lot see, just 4 bolts heads on the spare mount plate...and one extra hole I drilled cause I didn't measure perfect:( No worries, no one will ever see it, except via this photo, maybe I will put a bolt through it so it looks like it is serving a purpose....
Remember, try moving yours higher, I suggest taking the rear cladding off so you don't put the bottom bolts on the curve of the door.
You can't see anything out the rear window anyway, that is why I have a digital rear view mirror, and the camera is mounted on the spoiler, so the tire is in the shot, but not enough to block anything important. My second back up camera needs to be relocated though, it was mounted over the license plate, gotta move that down now. Oh well, I never use it anyway.

tom4bren
06/08/2009, 07:29 AM
Marlin,

I can't see your pix while at work. I'll try to have a look tonight. Sounds like you did a great job though. I might have to fab up some spacers and go through the second layer of metal (just to ease my mind if someone ever decides to slam the door closed).

"i got one up on you.. check my other thread for details.."

Eric - looks like you went 16 up on us.

"I hate encouraging that guy tho..."

Nice - Happy Monday to you too.

Tom

LittleBeast
06/08/2009, 10:27 AM
H11s, I can get the fixtures for about 20 bucks a piece and the HID kit, transformer, ballast and bulb for about 50 bucks a pair. That is less than a 100 bucks to do the project,

buying from who? where?

Marlin
06/08/2009, 12:23 PM
Here are the pics as requested...the plate is centered on the outside, I just drilled one of the holes crooked, so bolts is actually at a slight angle...I know, pathetic.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0264.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0265.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0266.jpg

As far as the lights, I correct my previous post, the 20 dollar procomp fixtures are not H11s, the H11s are 80 bucks, I apologize, so now the project will be around 200 vice 100:
http://4wheeloutfitters.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=26

The HID kit is the same one I have on my VX for the headlights. No flickering or any of the other problems people whine about. Took about a week from Hong Kong, they will send you whatever color bulb you want. Their customer service was great too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9004-9006-9007-xenon-hid-conversion-kit_W0QQitemZ200348168964QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2ea5ae7304&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A13 09|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

tom4bren
06/12/2009, 06:36 AM
Marlin,

I finally saw your pix. Good job. It looks like the mounting bracket carries your spare just a tad farther away from the door than mine. I can't even get my hand between the door and the tire to clean or wax or treat the cladding.

BTW, you could just mount your license plate on your bully bar but I like it on my receiver better.

Tom

Marlin
06/12/2009, 10:43 AM
Marlin,

I finally saw your pix. Good job. It looks like the mounting bracket carries your spare just a tad farther away from the door than mine. I can't even get my hand between the door and the tire to clean or wax or treat the cladding.

BTW, you could just mount your license plate on your bully bar but I like it on my receiver better.

Tom
Thanks Tom,
I tried to find the deepest bracket I could, so if I go to a larger tire or different offset wheel, I have room to spare...get it.....spare:)
Anyway, I am happy with the results and I have no indication of deformation of any kind.
I haven't decided what to do with the palte, now that I am making skid plates, I have put it on the back burner. I am gonna try to knock out half a dozen plates this weekend if I can, and then wait until I get some feedback for finishing touches and ship those out. That money will go toward my bumper project and manual hubs. Then the next batch of money will help fund my new trail tires and wheels. I would guess once my bumper is done, that will put me into the medium modded category? I have done so much to it, it is getting hard to keep track.

Triathlete
06/12/2009, 11:39 AM
Marlin, make sure to take pics and do a write up on that light conversion!:cool:

Marlin
06/12/2009, 02:11 PM
Huh, I knew Chris was a Jeeper! He is even driving a strange Jeep Recovery - it must be the latest concept vehicle from Jeep cuz it looks way futuristic and with a name like Recovery it signals the economy! I hope it sells well... :rolleyes: I wonder why they put the badge on the window tho. :confused: ;)

Damn, can I not get away from you!!!!

Daver
06/12/2009, 02:25 PM
Well, I'm glad I got to see someone do this mod, because I've wanted to do it for quite a while, and now I'm kinda glad I didn't. :)

I wanted to mount my fullsize spare on the outside, and put a speaker enclosure shaped like an inverted peace sign for subs and 6x9s on the inside. I figured the weight on the hinges would be too much though, and laziness helped too. :)

Anyway, the body lines for the spare on the inside really push that exterior spare out too far for my taste. Oh well. Still want to get the spare off the roof, and keep the backseat, and for now that just means using the stock spare. Ouch.

-Daver

So-CalVX
06/12/2009, 02:51 PM
Well, I'm glad I got to see someone do this mod, because I've wanted to do it for quite a while, and now I'm kinda glad I didn't. :)

I wanted to mount my fullsize spare on the outside, and put a speaker enclosure shaped like an inverted peace sign for subs and 6x9s on the inside. I figured the weight on the hinges would be too much though, and laziness helped too. :)

Anyway, the body lines for the spare on the inside really push that exterior spare out too far for my taste. Oh well. Still want to get the spare off the roof, and keep the backseat, and for now that just means using the stock spare. Ouch.

-Daver

You could always remove the passenger seat and mount some sort of full size spare holder there keeping the rear seats and giving easier access to them lol

ooh and then you could also put ur system in the rear door ;)

Marlin
06/12/2009, 04:12 PM
You could always remove the passenger seat and mount some sort of full size spare holder there keeping the rear seats and giving easier access to them lol

ooh and then you could also put ur system in the rear door ;)

Nice...

Marlin
06/19/2009, 01:46 PM
Has anyone else tried this yet? I got over 1mpg better with the spare on the door vice the roof. But I also removed the front bumper as well. I figured that would hurt, but something made a difference, I drive the same way every day to work. Sweet either way.

Triathlete
06/19/2009, 02:06 PM
The tire on top sucks a lot of extra fuel...as does the basket on top or a bike. That is one of the biggest reasons I rented a mt. bike in Moab. I have several friends with sweet high end mt. bikes that would have let me borrow them however the rental was less than the extra fuel!

Marlin
06/19/2009, 02:14 PM
I wonder how much of a difference it makes with my expy? That big block V8 shouldn't care...5.4L that I wish I could put in my VX along with the 6 speed tranny. that would kick ***.
If I drove more than 10 miles a day in my VX, I would take the rack off, but I LOVE THE WAY IT LOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triathlete
06/19/2009, 02:20 PM
I wonder how much of a difference it makes with my expy? That big block V8 shouldn't care...5.4L that I wish I could put in my VX along with the 6 speed tranny. that would kick ***.

All it takes is $$$$$...anything is possible!:smilewink

Marlin
11/23/2009, 09:58 AM
An update on the rear spare on the door conversion. Its been awhile now. There is no noticeable sag on the door, but I will say that when I close the door, I can feel the latch engage, it does rub a bit, which tells me that something has moved, even it is just a little.
Everyhting else is perfect, no problems, and I took it wheeling and all. So for those that have contemplated it, go for it, it is a fairly easy and gratifying project, and I now have my stereo mounted in the rear door, so more free space in the back:)

Marlin
04/24/2010, 04:34 AM
Revisiting again, still no sag on the door, or latch problems. I am in out of the back at least 4 or 5 times a week. No issues. On my last trip to Uwharrie, I did take the tire off and store it inside while I was wheeling just in case I came to a steep incline, it would not be fun to spend 5 min taking the tire off while 20 trucks are behind you waiting. I have never scraped it, but I was just planning ahead:)

vt_maverick
04/24/2010, 06:49 PM
Hey Marlin, I saw your VX in person last night and the rear tire mount looks great! I'm down in Charleston for a wedding and my buddy lives in your neighborhood! It's a small world huh? Sent you a PM, let me know if you're around tomorrow and maybe I'll stop by.

Marlin
04/25/2010, 06:33 AM
Hey Marlin, I saw your VX in person last night and the rear tire mount looks great! I'm down in Charleston for a wedding and my buddy lives in your neighborhood! It's a small world huh? Sent you a PM, let me know if you're around tomorrow and maybe I'll stop by.

EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! Stranger Danger!!!! Stalker!!!!:_crying:

J/K, I sent a PM back, I will be around all day, kind of embarrassed, the VX is dirty...:rolleyes:

:ot:

Marlin
09/18/2010, 02:13 PM
Well, time for another update, its been about 1.5 yrs now, I no longer baby the door opening and closing, and I have no sign of sag. No significant rubbing on the latch either. I slam it shut, leave it open sometimes, trailed it with the tire on it, no problemo. I am more than pleased with the results of this project. I am surprised there is only the two of us though. As a matter of fact, of all my projects I have done, the only one I am not 100% happy with is the....well, I can't think of one;)

RamAirZ
09/18/2010, 09:30 PM
I was planning on it (even have the mount) but after mocking everything up I didn't really like the way it looked on mine so I threw it on the roof, plus the basket made it easy for mounting the lights. Glad it's working out good for ya Chris! I'm still debating it at some point.

Marlin
09/19/2010, 04:37 AM
I'm not sure if you went through the whole thread or not. I am 100% function over form. The reason I took it off the roof: at Moab in 09, while in Poison Spider, there is a little rally run, like a mile through the sand, and we were moving pretty quick. I saw something in my peripheral (and it wasn't a blonde). We slowed down, turns out, it was a bolt from the roof rack that had gone flying off. Then I started thinking about 70-80lbs of rim and tire on the roof and what that would do to someone if it came off the roof on the street. That could be deadly.
Plus, having the tire on the roof with no cover on it means its in the sun all day long, which will destroy the tire. But I do trail the VX with the spare on the roof for approach angle purposes. Its also a lot easier to get the spare off the door, I got a dent in the side from trying to get the tire off the roof by myself a few months ago.:(

RamAirZ
09/19/2010, 09:07 AM
LOL, I have read the thread and talked to you about it before. I know why YOU did it, and I completely understand that. I myself like form AND function. I didn't like how far it would sit from the door, not how it looked on the door. I'm working on modifying the bracket to sit closer and then I'll probably end up doing it. For now I like it on the roof and have had it in some thick brush where I was worried about it coming off and it didn't budge. Plus I don't leave it up there all the time. I've even considered getting a 2nd spare so I have 2, it's weird but the VX is gonna end up as my Expedition rig when we take camping trips and go visit the family in Indiana and Minnesota so would be nice to have 2 just in case. As far as getting it off the roof, maybe you need these:

http://www.bobgarontraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/michael_jordan_wheaties1.jpg

:laughing: Just kidding, it's a pain to get it on/off, I know.

IRONVIKING
09/19/2010, 03:06 PM
I saw an Amigo rear tire mount with the third brake light set up.
It looked like I could do something similar to my VX.
Its cool in that pic you posted of the rear tire mount.
Theres the Red Explorer?- Orange CBR dude in the background- Yellow VX

Marlin
09/19/2010, 04:06 PM
I saw an Amigo rear tire mount with the third brake light set up.
It looked like I could do something similar to my VX.
Its cool in that pic you posted of the rear tire mount.
Theres the Red Explorer?- Orange CBR dude in the background- Yellow VX

Thanks, that was our 07 expedition, which we traded for a 2010 F150, which we just traded for an 06F250 lariat diesel. Hopefully we wont have to trade cars for awhile...:)

RamAirZ
09/19/2010, 04:24 PM
lol hopefully not. Did you find a 2 car trailer yet?

Marlin
09/19/2010, 05:06 PM
Nope, still gotta sell mine first.

wekilled
10/17/2010, 11:17 AM
I was thinking about doing Toms full-size Rear Tire mount, but wanted to add one of these Korean spare tire covers to it (see link).

I brought one back from Korea when I was stationed there for about 60 bucks U.S., but sold it with my Amigo thinking I would never need it again (facepalm). Mine had a small storage area that I had covered with a piece of black rubber diamondplate to give it a grittier look.

Anyone know where to get one of these here in the States? I think it would give it a nice touch (for those who even want a full-size spare on the back) Not for everyone to be sure, but I think it would fit the lines of what look I am going for.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/521/thumbs/Korean_Spare_Tire_cvr.jpg

Marlin
10/17/2010, 02:33 PM
Dude, post up an adult sized pic, can't even tell what it is...

Grif
10/17/2010, 02:36 PM
The pic in this thread http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19067 is slightly larger, but I still cant tell wtf it is.

wekilled
10/17/2010, 04:57 PM
Best I can do here as there aren't alot of images of the item I am talking about. They're pretty common in Asia, but I have only seen them once or twice in the U.S.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19126&cat=500
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/dsc00249jpgt.jpg

Has a nice look to it that (might) compliment the VX if the rear tire was in the back. You can hook your brakelight to the light in the center and while the sides are for show, they make it look as though they are clamping the tire in place.

Grif
10/17/2010, 05:03 PM
Ahhh IC... interesting.

Marlin
10/17/2010, 06:02 PM
Not that I am one to talk, but I don't think that shiny plastic would look good on the VX...:)

Looks like it would be at home on a Rav4 or CRV

Ascinder
10/17/2010, 06:10 PM
If you do find where to get one, let me know. I'd definitely buy one. You can always turn shiny plastic into matte black gritty awesomeness with a little bedliner or Gatorback spray. I am going to be gutting my rear hatch anyways since there's no way in the 9 hells I'm ever going to fit a spare there with it in the way.

vt_maverick
10/17/2010, 06:16 PM
Looks like the lid of a toilet. :)

wekilled
10/17/2010, 06:17 PM
I concur. The one on my Amigo was painted a satin, and I had a big piece of black diamond plate covering a piece in the center. Just my take on my interpretation of the VX though, not trying to sell anyone on it.

Marlin
10/17/2010, 06:36 PM
Looks like the lid of a toilet. :)

Dude, it does look like some of the fancy electric toilet seats I saw in Japan!!!

PS-take my opinions with a grain of salt, after all, I am responsible for this:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1616.JPG

and this

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1052.JPG

and most definitely this

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/hallowharrie09/CopyofDSCN7907.jpg

eblank
11/01/2011, 03:18 PM
After a long search for another wheel (which they no longer make) I was able to find an 18 inch chrome wheel and have it powdercoated, and a tire that will match up pretty close with the rest. I used an old trooper mount, cut and bent it in a couple places, and was able to get a perfect fit. I mounted it a little different than the other pics I've seen and think it should be a little more sturdy. Now my only question is do I dare put my subs back in my door... Here are the pics!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_0143.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21665)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_0145.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21666)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_0150.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21664)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/100_0152.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21663)

VXorado
11/01/2011, 08:10 PM
The rim looks great. I wouldn't worry about the extra weight of the spare+subs because I had an engineer spec out the hinge shear strength around 1200lbs.

I've been building a spare tire carrier myself except mine removes the "bulge" from the old spare & allows the larger spare tire to be wrapped by the rear bumper cladding. I'm on the final stages now of welding in new sheet metal followed by paint to finish it up.

I think yours looks good but it would look better IMO if you also removed the bulge so the spare isn't mounted so far off the back.

JoFotoz
11/01/2011, 08:34 PM
Now this ....

I've been building a spare tire carrier myself except mine removes the "bulge" from the old spare & allows the larger spare tire to be wrapped by the rear bumper cladding. I'm on the final stages now of welding in new sheet metal followed by paint to finish it up.

....sounds awesome.

Cant wait to see it, I love the idea.

:thumbup:

jo

eblank
11/01/2011, 08:51 PM
2X. I agree I like the tire back there but don't like how far back it sits. (still happy with it though). I thought of what you are doing but wasn't feeling nearly that ambitious/adventuresome. Cant wait to see how it turns out though it should be pretty sick. and i'm not concerned about the hinges at all they're pretty solid. my only concern is the sagging that the rest of the door will suffer and the mounting area of the hinges. not failure, just some yielding that could mess up alignment. Still think i"m going to reinstall the subs though and see what happens. (had to open them up and take them out cuz they are bolted to the door from the inside of the box...)

VXorado
11/01/2011, 11:10 PM
Its been a big project, the hardest part was finding a cheap rear door because I didn't want to damage my good door if the project was a bust. I should have the door completely done by the end of this year. I'll definitely post some pics and a thread, stay tuned....

Hey eblank, where are you going to put the license plate?

tom4bren
11/02/2011, 11:36 AM
eblank,

My door has finally started to sag a bit from the weight of the spare. I don't think that I have any plastic deformation of the metal, it's just the mounting points sipping. I've adjusted it a few times but it keeps sagging again. I need to do a more thorough job of it next time.

I like the look on yours. Mine sits so close to the door that I can only get my hand between the spare & the door a couple of inches. Yours looks even tighter.

I put my license plate on the SuperBumper I have in the receiver.

Tom

eblank
11/02/2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks Tom. Yeah its a pretty snug fit (but not touching) I used spacers to get it just where I wanted it. Right now my plate is ziptied around the bottom of the tire, but (after a few midterms) I'm going to take one of the red reflectors on the cladding out and make a mount for it that will mount in its place. I wanted to replace them with backup lights but that seems to be the only good place for the plate so I might just put in one instead of two. I don't want to mount it on the hitch cuz I pull a trailer on occasion (plus I kinda like my little clevis hanging there instead :yesy: )

VXorado
11/05/2011, 01:42 AM
I'm trying to figure out a good place for the license plate where it can be lit. A lit license plate is required here in CO and I don't want to give a cop a reason to pull me over. I like it on the hitch but it would be a hard location to light, so I may end up making a license plate carrier in the rim. It would only be a PITA if I actually had to use the spare rather than just carry it around :)

RamAirZ
11/05/2011, 06:10 AM
Quick disconnect wing nuts and wiring harness. I have a trailer plate bracket with built-in light on my Passport that would work well:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/206432_1988988970095_1404466228_32399540_7927602_n .jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/207101_1988920008371_1404466228_32399413_4603900_n .jpg

VXorado
11/05/2011, 12:26 PM
:thumbup: thats perfect!! Where did you buy it?

tom4bren
12/28/2011, 09:53 AM
My door has finally started to sag a bit from the weight of the spare. I don't think that I have any plastic deformation of the metal, it's just the mounting points sipping. I've adjusted it a few times but it keeps sagging again. I need to do a more thorough job of it next time.

:_brickwal

Top hinge is tearing loose from the door. Looks like I won't be carrying the spare on the door anymore.

samneil2000
12/29/2011, 06:28 AM
Doh!

tom4bren
12/29/2011, 06:34 AM
Doh!

Don't make me come down there & turn my blue tick hound loose on you!!!

samneil2000
12/29/2011, 06:36 AM
Easy trigger. haha. How bad is the door buggered up?

tom4bren
12/29/2011, 07:05 AM
Pretty bad considering the hinge is tearing loose from the door

But ...

Welder Guy says it's fixable

But ...

It's very difficult to get to the area behind the hinge in the door (welded on plate is in the way) so adding a gusset (sp?) will be difficult.

So ...

Maybe it's time for me to get off my arse & finally do that 'barn door' to 'lift gate' conversion that's been on my mind for the past year.

vt_maverick
12/29/2011, 09:46 AM
Pretty bad considering the hinge is tearing loose from the door

But ...

Welder Guy says it's fixable

But ...

It's very difficult to get to the area behind the hinge in the door (welded on plate is in the way) so adding a gusset (sp?) will be difficult.

So ...

Maybe it's time for me to get off my arse & finally do that 'barn door' to 'lift gate' conversion that's been on my mind for the past year.

That would be a phenomenal increase in accessibility, but it seems like the challenge will be retaining the close seam between the door and rear bumper while still allowing enough room for the hinges to operate and the door to swing down. Very interesting though...

tom4bren
12/29/2011, 09:56 AM
...the challenge will be retaining the close seam between the door and rear bumper while still allowing enough room for the hinges to operate and door to swing down.

Hence my procrastination.

Plus, the hinges would go on top & there is very little metal there for the attachment.

vt_maverick
12/29/2011, 10:08 AM
Doh, for some reason I was thinking fold down like a truck tailgate. How would you avoid the rear spoiler?

tom4bren
12/29/2011, 10:28 AM
You're asking questions like I've already started fabbing the dang thing. I haven't even been to Pick-A-Part yet to source some donor hinges.

In my mind, the top edge of the door will not go above the roofline so it won't interfere with the spoiler.

VXorado
12/29/2011, 11:14 AM
:_brickwal

Top hinge is tearing loose from the door. Looks like I won't be carrying the spare on the door anymore.

Bad news considering I just finshed my rear door with the spare tire mount. You go probably weld the hinge bracket to the door :_confused

vt_maverick
12/29/2011, 11:15 AM
Pics?

VXorado
12/29/2011, 11:44 AM
I have a couple more details to finish before I snap some pics and post details. Its definitely unique :smilewink

tom4bren
12/29/2011, 11:50 AM
Even after I fix the door, I'll prolly not mount the spare on the door. But ... it'll look like I did. I plan on copying the receiver mounted spare tire carrier that my brother has on his Road Trek. It flips down & is very solid. I'm going to be bummed though about losing my SuperBumper.

VXorado, you need to make sure that the latch and the dovetail guide are both in good shape and aligned properly. That dovetail should be carrying the weight of the door, not the hinges. Maybe see about adding a couple of rubber wedges to the door sill to help distribute the weight as well.

VXorado
12/29/2011, 12:15 PM
VXorado, you need to make sure that the latch and the dovetail guide are both in good shape and aligned properly. That dovetail should be carrying the weight of the door, not the hinges. Maybe see about adding a couple of rubber wedges to the door sill to help distribute the weight as well.

Thanks Tom, i'll check. I'm also mounting a bumpstop to the frame under the bumper that will support the door when its closed. Hopefully that will be enough, I have a bit more weight than your door ;oob;