PDA

View Full Version : stock rim valve stem diameter?

Knigh7s
06/03/2009, 03:28 AM
Does anyone know the stock 18" rim valve stem diameter?

I didn't find anything when I searched both here and google. But I am on my G1 posting this, so it's a bit combersome trying to search this site...

Thanks all.

etlsport
06/03/2009, 04:18 AM
not sure of a measurement for the diameter.. but here is all the info off the valve stems i have on my vx, maybe itll help

DILL ACP
TR413 161

hope that helps

Ldub
06/03/2009, 04:24 AM
Generally speaking, there are only two diameters of valve stems & I don't know the measurements.
But the smaller of the two is for automotive applications, & the larger of the two is for machinery/agricultural applications.

Riff Raff
06/03/2009, 05:08 AM
I have just one question-- Why in the hell would anybody want to know that??? The "diameter" of the valve stem is always the same on automotive use; only the length and type of casing is different and varies for type of application (all-rubber, half-chrome, all metal dual-tire truck stem, etc). I guess you could take some calipers and measure the diameter of a tire valve stem; but I really don't see any purpose, unless you just want that information for a game of trivia pursuit.

circmand
06/03/2009, 07:40 AM
I have just one question-- Why in the hell would anybody want to know that??? The "diameter" of the valve stem is always the same on automotive use; only the length and type of casing is different and varies for type of application (all-rubber, half-chrome, all metal dual-tire truck stem, etc). I guess you could take some calipers and measure the diameter of a tire valve stem; but I really don't see any purpose, unless you just want that information for a game of trivia pursuit.

With GM (government Motors) you can bet there will be different sized valve stems for summer/winter driving, different colors based on what lane and what times you are allowed to drive. Black will no longer be available because it is racist, and the materila will be upgraded so air will no longer leak but each valve stem will cost a million dollars

Knigh7s
06/03/2009, 09:35 AM
not sure of a measurement for the diameter.. but here is all the info off the valve stems i have on my vx, maybe itll help

DILL ACP
TR413 161

hope that helps

Generally speaking, there are only two diameters of valve stems & I don't know the measurements.
But the smaller of the two is for automotive applications, & the larger of the two is for machinery/agricultural applications.

Thanks, Etl and Ldub that helped. I honestly didn't know that there were only one size for the automotive app. The websites I searched said things down the line as to making sure the "grommet" size is correct for the rim type. So I assumed there was more than one size. And from the part number, I assume 1 1/4" lenth would be the one to get...

Riff, again, I honestly didn't know that... you guys saved me the embarrassment on talking to the local tire shop! lol

Thanks guys!

Riff Raff
06/03/2009, 10:10 AM
No problem. Most people choose specific "styles" of valve stems when getting new tires/wheels mounted. For example, many pick an All-Chrome or Half-Chrome "style" valve stem to match the chrome wheel. A regular black rubber valve stem on a fancy new chrome wheel looks really cheesy and cheap!!!

Ldub
06/03/2009, 10:59 AM
I prefer the look of NO valve stem...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/7205102.jpg

But wouldn't use them again for off road applications, where you want to air down for the trails...they have a high PITA factor...:smilewink