PDA

View Full Version : epoxy over epoxy

JAMAS
05/28/2009, 10:49 AM
I am going to have to take my window back out to widen the tracks because even after the SBC fix (which fixed it 99%) the window is still binding on the front side of the window gasket. So while the window was out with the bracket already epoxied, I was going to add some more epoxy to it to really strengthen it up.

Is there any concerns with putting new, uncured epoxy over cured epoxy?

JoFotoz
05/28/2009, 12:17 PM
Not that I know of....

Is there any concerns with putting new, uncured epoxy over cured epoxy?

F/glass is layered into molds with Epoxy on epoxy build up... as is carbon fiber.

If you use the same brand...( maybe rough the surface of the older "set' epoxy for a "key" to grip on)..

..you should be ok.

JBTW...how do you propose to "widen" your tracks????...have you tried spraying them with Teflon lube first?

jo

tom4bren
05/28/2009, 12:25 PM
The epoxy will certainly bond, but ... you are actually adding very little structural strength by doing that.

If it give you peace of mind though - go for it.

VX KAT
05/28/2009, 12:42 PM
Jamas, You can pull the front part of rubber gasket up and out of the way enough without removing the glass window. Maybe try this before more epoxy.

"phines" originally posted the fix, but now that thread seems to be lost to history as it won't come up in search.

My SBC brackets are on, but it was still binding a bit (slow coming up), as soon as the front glass edge hit the area of the forward window track about 5" down from the top of door panel.

I used different types of adjustable wrenches, etc to just grap the side and widen the track a bit. I found long needle nose pliers were the only thing I could get down (or up) inside the door frame to reach that part of metal track. I twisted pliers to widen the metal. The more I widened it, the faster the window went up and eliminated the binding.

Then used pure silicon spray to lube rubber track.

Now both windows are perfect! YAH!!!!

Hope this helps!

Ldub
05/28/2009, 08:44 PM
FWIW...Last year in Moab I had a cracked banjo fitting in my fuel delivery system.
After careful prep, I spent the better part of the day layering JBweld on the crack.
I think I ended up with at least 4-5 layers, allowing each to cure for an hour or so, between coats.
Did no sanding or other prep between coats.
Still holding to this day...:thumbup:

JoFotoz
05/28/2009, 09:04 PM
FWIW...Last year in Moab I had a cracked banjo fitting in my fuel delivery system.
After careful prep, I spent the better part of the day layering JBweld on the crack.
I think I ended up with at least 4-5 layers, ...

WITH A VODKA PER LAYER...if memory serves me right!!

...allowing each to cure for an hour or so, between coats.
Did no sanding or other prep between coats.
Still holding to this day...:thumbup:

Luv ya Dub....:dance:

jo

Ldub
05/28/2009, 10:27 PM
Luv ya Dub....:dance:

jo

Right back atcha Bro...:heart:

Glad to see yer memory is still tarp as a shack...:laughgray