PDA

View Full Version : VX Selling Saga

dogue
07/25/2003, 10:58 AM
Today is a good and bad day. I just sold my Vehicross. The task was very stressful so it is a relief to finally end the stress, but the VX was my favorite car I have ever owned and I will miss it. I have decided to type the saga out so it might help some in either selling or buying a VX.

1999 Vehicross 58k mi.

It was early June when I decided to sell. The decision was not easy, but considering my family size and the miles I was driving, it only made economical since to sell. I first did a lot of research looking everywhere for what others were asking and what kelly blue book listed the car at for all three catagories (trade in, private party sell, retail).

The Private Party (PP) was listed at $15,100 (approx.) so I struggled with what price. I decided to start at $14,500 (my payoff was $14,200) to hopefully have a quick sale. I decided since there was only one other VX on Ebay (min. bid $16,000) that I would list mine at $14,500 with no reserve.

This was encouraging for a few days, as the inquiries came flooding in asking for additional pictures and asking what type of payment I wanted. About 3 days into the auction there were now 7 VXs listed and many for less than mine, but with a reserve. Inquiries slowed.

1st potential buyer, Local buyer wanted to come take a look at the truck. He LOVED it was getting me a check the next day. He wanted to meet me at 5:30pm at a car show so his girl friend could see the car. I showed up early to make sure it was cleaned up and to look at the other cars. I got a phone call at 5:40 from my wife saying we got an email from him saying his girlfriend said no. Even though he had my cell phone he decided to email me minutes before we were to meet.

Auction ended, so I decided to flood the internet with ads, every free classifieds site I could find. I then listed it with AutoTrader for 2weeks. I had imediate response with two people from overseas.

2nd potential buyer, this was a company in Dubai (united arab emerates) he was very convincing that he was going to wire the money as soon as possible, but wanted to verify I actually had the car. We had a Pre-purchase inspection and I sent him numerous pictures. I was very nervous about dealing with someone overseas so I called my bank for advice they told me that giving someone your wire info is harmless (which included your account number and routing number). I didn't quite believe them so I called a friend that deals with overseas often. He told me don't worry about it, he could only add to your account with that info, he could never take anything. So I gave him the info. He then emailed me stating that he had sent to much money and needed me to wire the difference back. Of course I have heard of this scam, so I called my bank again and my friend, both of them told me I was too paranoid and that this kind of thing happens all the time. When the wire came through it was not a wire but a cashiers check for $95k and ended up Fraudulent, and the bank then recommended that I change all of my bank accounts, because they could be writing fraudulent checks using my info to other people. This whole scenario took about 4 weeks!

During this 4 weeks I purchased a minivan (we have two small kids) for the wife, as a replacement for the VX. I could afford the two payments just barely and I thought the VX would sell, stupid I know.

3rd potential buyer, early july, I was contacted by an interested buyer that stated that he was very close to buying an ironman, but really wanted black. He asked for me to email him pictures and a detailed description of the car. He then emailed me saying my price was very high. I checked he was correct. The PP was now $13,300, I had not been driving the car the milage was the same, but the blue book went down $1800 in one month. I offered the car to him at $12,700 and he said he would check with his bank. NOTE: at this point I am not enjoying the vehicle, because I am not driving it and I am very beaten up by the last prospective buyer. HE comes back saying the bank would only loan him $12,556, so I agreed. He asked for shipping quotes, I researched shipping for him and got a good deal from Phoenix to Kentucky for $800. He then started asking for many pictures of every flaw. I took them and emailed them to him. He asked for all of my records to be faxed, I complied and better yet typed them all out on an email so he could read them. He asked me about potential problems, I told him about windows, stereos, headlight gaskets, etc... He then sent me a copy of one of my posts here where I stated to someone that they should buy with caution and that I would not sell until it started costing me more than it was worth. I explained that I informed him of all the caution areas I mentioned in my post as well as some others I had complied with all of his requests. And explained that my extended warranty was good for 40k more miles and it was not costing me anything, but normal maintenance, but my financial situation has changed and I need something more convienent. He said he thought I was honest and would let me know. The next day he said his wife said no! I have to note he seemed like a good guy. This process took about 2 1/2 weeks.

During this portion of the saga, my wife drove the new van into the house causing $1000 in damage to that car, none to the house. I had been driving her old vehicle and the power locks stopped working and the AC quit, I am still waiting for that bill.

I had a few others asking for more pictures shipping quotes and etc....all finally saying my $12,700 plus shipping was too much. One of which I got a smokin' deal on shipping to Michigan for $641.

I decided that because some of the more ligitimate calls I got on the car came during the Ebay listing, that I would list it again. So I did. I also decided to list the car in the AutoTrader again for the lower price.

Again Imediatly I had someone calling for the ebay listing. This time from Houston and he stated that he wanted the car! He bid on the car. My Terms of Sale stated that I needed a deposit of $200 within 48 hours and the remainder within 7 days and delivery would occur only after full payment and shipping was the buyers responsibility. He asked if I could get him a quote on shipping. I told him it would probably be in the range of $1000, he said that sounded fine. When I got the quote back it was $600 the auction ended and I get an email from him saying he will not pay until I deliver the car. I tell him to hit the road and read the Terms of Sale. The debate went on for a day. I finally told him that he should fly into Phoenix and either drive it back or ship it out. He agreed. I get a phone call saying that his father was buying the car, but would only pay $9k and he was going to give me the remainder in cash. I said fine as long as I had it in writing. He did not agree to that, stating that his father cannot know about the agreement and an email would leave him open to getting caught. I told him without a written agreement, I would look for another buyer (by this time I had actually 2 local interested people, but I was legally obligated to sell to the Ebay buyer until the 7 days lapsed.). He had me take it to a dealer for a pre-purchase inspection, under my recommendation and when I called him to give him the results he said he was at the airport and would be here in 2 hours. I was very nervous meeting a stranger that I did not fully trust and I was also nervous about whether the funds would be fraudulent, but flying was my suggestion and I was still obligated not only by the law but by my word. I picked them (the buyer and his brother) up at the airport, drove them to the bank and they could not have been nicer. These two guys have to be some of the best guys I have ever met! The check cleared and they drove off in my VX.

The irony is I had over 6 phone calls on the car between my home and the airport and have answered 4 writing this post.

I learned a lot, first of all wiring money is the easiest way to recieve money. It is gauranteed! I suggest if you do this you should open an empty account and use that info to accept the funds. after the wire transfer the funds yourself and close the other account. Money orders are not gauranteed and can be canceled. Many Certified Checks are fraudulent, but banks will know right away. The large sites are the only ones I recieved legitimate responses from, the smaller ones brought out the virtual tire kickers and thieves. Ebay was about half and half, but did end up being the ultimate buyer. AutoTrader (the printed version) seems to bring the most potential buyers, as I am still getting phone calls from that ad.

I am very sad to have gotten rid of my VX! Thanks to Triathelete for plugging my car to Katie in tucson, she was very nice, but was not ready to buy just yet.

VXcaver
07/25/2003, 11:37 AM
Terry- we had a great time on that Crown King trip! I hope you'll keep in touch with the rest of the AZ gang. You can always ride shotgun in VXcaver!!

IsuZOOM
07/25/2003, 11:40 AM
Interesting story! I've bought and sold a bunch of vehicles (and a boat) on eBay so I feel your pain :)

Just a note about the opening of a new account - do it at a DIFFERENT bank than you normally use. When you open a new account at the same bank, they can always just dip into your normal account and screw you. It happens!

dogue
07/25/2003, 11:59 AM
VXCaver- I will definately keep in-touch and I will still check this forum, I still love the VX. Hell, I have been a Ferrari Club Board Member for almost 4 years without a Ferrari.

VehiX
07/25/2003, 04:24 PM
Note to self for buying a car: "Never let your woman decide for you"

Note to self when it comes time to sell the VX: " Only sell to some one like myself who just has to have it, not matter what it takes"

:)

Glad to hear it all worked out for you in the end! Good luck on your future endevours and keep in touch.

Cheers

Panther_Black_VX
07/25/2003, 05:45 PM
Extremely interesting story. Thanks for taking the time to sahre it with us. Good luck!

- s a i n t -
07/27/2003, 12:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you had to sell your VX and I'm double-sorry to hear what you went through to sell it. Talk about pouring salt on open wounds!

As some other members have said, I really appreciate the time you took to write this out so we might possibly learn from your ordeal. It just goes to show what type of people we have on this board.

Good luck, and maybe one day, you'll be back in another VX. In the meantime, stick around - we don't want to lose a valuable person like yourself.

- s a i n t -

WyrreJ
07/27/2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by dogue
Many Certified Checks are fraudulent, but banks will know right away.

I think you meant, "Many Certified Checks are fraudulent, but banks will not know right away."

I know a guy who thought he sold his NSX for a ~$70K certified check. It took his bank almost a month to even tell him, "there has been a problem clearing the check." Even after a couple of months had passed and he had long since involved the FBI and they had yet to officialy notify him that the check was fraudulent.

Lucky for him, he found the NSX forsale on ebay. Unlucky for him, the thief had sold it to a dealer for real money and he had to resort to civil court to get the car back, which is still in process.

dogue
07/27/2003, 10:48 AM
I think what I should have said is "Many Certified Checks are Fraudulent, but the bank can Verify the funds right away" in most cases the teller just runs the check through and puts it in a stack, but if you ask them to verify the check they will actually call the bank it was issued at and verify the check number and amount. I would not have thought to do this, but have heard the same stories you have and the ordeal I went through earlier made me much more paranoid.

Terry

Navigator
07/27/2003, 03:19 PM
I feel your pain, my only advise is take it to a place like CarMax and let them deal with all the hassles, you'll be paid right on the spot and based on the story you tell your ordeal cost you more than just the use of your VX, the additional suffering and risks can not be measured in dollars.

mrtew
07/27/2003, 07:29 PM
Any story that begins with selling a VX and ends with driving a minivan can't be a good one but this was ever worse than I thought it would be. One more reason for me to keep my VX till I die!

tiggergreen
07/28/2003, 04:56 PM
What an awful story. I feel your pain. I have come close to selling my VX quite a few times over the years. Luckily, I have been able to hold onto it. Now with the seven seats, the rooftop box and the Tone custom hitch, this vehicle will serve my needs for the next couple of years.

If my movie (The Wizards of Vitucia) does well, I am going to buy you a VX... I hate to think of anyone in this club having to lose such a prized possession.

Brent