PDA

View Full Version : Body Lift?

alterastro
05/27/2009, 02:35 AM
Ok, first of probably many silly questions...

No one seems to talk much about a body lift for the VX. I did search but couldn't find anything useful out of the thousands of results :rolleyes:. So, is it recommended or not worth it? If so, how much and does anyone sell a kit?

Thanks

Nick

Ldub
05/27/2009, 02:55 AM
Here are a couple of links to get you started...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6479&highlight=body+lift

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4821&highlight=body+lift

Also search all posts by member "nervegas"...I believe he had a combination suspension/body lift, but had CV problems.

One of your best resources for knowlege & parts is:

www.Independent4X.com

The search function takes some time to get used to, but is a great asset.

johnny010
06/02/2009, 08:13 PM
why would the body lift cause problems with his cv's?

Ldub
06/02/2009, 08:28 PM

I never indicated that it would, if you READ my post, I said "combination suspension/body lift".
Too much suspension lift (4" IIRC), with no drop bracket(s) = CV problems...:_wrench:

crotchrocket
06/04/2009, 03:37 AM
I too wondered about this, i know the guy in Ireland has a body lift on his but sounds like its alot of work !

johnny010
06/04/2009, 05:37 AM
hey LDUB I did READ your post and since you said 'COMBINATION' I thought you meant the two combined caused CV problems. My fault.

CrnCnn
06/04/2009, 06:50 AM

I think he just meant Nervegas had problems not just someone with that combo or body lift.

Nervegas may have problems because of his big tires too.

tom4bren
06/04/2009, 07:01 AM
Naw, it's not the combo. Nerve Gas had CV problems because of the 4.5" suspension lift.

Body lifts are typically easier to do than suspension lifts (as long as it's not too severe). If you go with more than about 3" then you'll start running into problems with shift linkages, brake lines, wire bundles, ...

The main problem is that no suppliers have ever made a body lift kit for the VX. The one used to lift Nerve Gas's was put together by Independent 4X on the spot since he lives right there. I'm just up the road, so if anyone is interested in getting them to fab a kit for you, I'll offer my Proton to them as the template.

Tom

CrnCnn
06/04/2009, 07:03 AM
I'm just up the road, so if anyone is interested in getting them to fab a kit for you, I'll offer my Proton to them as the template.

Tom

I will be interested.... some day when I am out of the red.

JHarris1385
06/04/2009, 07:12 AM
There is another proton here that has a body lift. He used the body lift for the tropper. Not sure of his name but I am sure you can find his imagines in the gallery. He has light bar up top.

Ldub
06/04/2009, 07:22 AM
Naw, it's not the combo. Nerve Gas had CV problems because of the 4.5" suspension lift.

Body lifts are typically easier to do than suspension lifts (as long as it's not too severe). If you go with more than about 3" then you'll start running into problems with shift linkages, brake lines, wire bundles, ...

The main problem is that no suppliers have ever made a body lift kit for the VX. The one used to lift Nerve Gas's was put together by Independent 4X on the spot since he lives right there. I'm just up the road, so if anyone is interested in getting them to fab a kit for you, I'll offer my Proton to them as the template.

Tom

Shouldn't a body lift for a Trooper work?...:confused:

You might not use all the pucks/bolts, but the hardware should be same-same...:_confused

VX1032
06/04/2009, 07:27 AM
Don't know why, but I remember Alaska VX did the body lift and his issue was something about access to the rear body mounts. I believe he said he had to cut access holes to them from inside the vehicle.

***EDIT*** I cannot find any evidence on the site to support the above comments, just my fading memory.****

tom4bren
06/04/2009, 07:29 AM
"Shouldn't a body lift for a Trooper work?..."

Prolly - Who's gonna volunteer to try it first?

I've been thinking lately of trying a 1" body lift - just enough to get rid of that last little bit of tire rub. I was just going to try to cut something out of 1" stock & use some longer bolts.

Ldub
06/04/2009, 07:42 AM
Don't know why, but I remember Alaska VX did the body lift and his issue was something about access to the rear body mounts. I believe he said he had to cut access holes to them from inside the vehicle.

Destruction (also from Alaska) had a body lift too IIRC.

tom4bren
06/04/2009, 07:52 AM
So we have 8 body mounts?

ZEUS
06/04/2009, 07:54 AM
I found the thread I was thinking about: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7458&referrerid=1999
He said a few times he would post pics of his lift but never did and has since sold his VX. Maybe search for the VIN to see who bought it?

johnny010
06/04/2009, 08:15 AM
you can also use hockey pucks to do the lift. cheap effective way.

pbkid
06/04/2009, 10:09 AM
i actually kinda casually spoke with some local offroad shops about doing a body lift on mine because i want 35's....really bad lol....(i know, dumb kids)

he said the biggest issue would be to extend the shift linkages and the steering components and longer brake lines...

if you could fab up longer steering components and shift linkages you would be A-OK

AK VX Lvr
06/04/2009, 11:14 AM
A member of this board back in '04 got a local company to work with Independant 4X4 to modify a Trooper body lift for his Ebony...all the things mentioned earlier were issues...body mounts, linkages, gas tank mount, etc.
Here's an old link to the thread discussing it:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1194
And an link to his old web page with some pics:
http://www.boarzhead.freewebspace.com/photo3.html

Looks good...minus the severe need for tires/wheels

:eek: :bwgr:

Ldub
06/04/2009, 11:23 AM
i actually kinda casually spoke with some local offroad shops about doing a body lift on mine because i want 35's....really bad lol....(i know, dumb kids)

So, what'sat make me?...:confused:

The dumb ol' man?

And Ryan? (LittleBeast) :_confused

The dumb slightly older man?

We've both got our sites set at 35 too...:yes:...:thumbup:

pbkid
06/04/2009, 12:00 PM
guess its sort of a race then huh??

i may lose though, i have my sights on paying back greg (for my skid plates that he made and hand delivered to moab for me) and then some body armor and a front locker before a body lift ;)

JHarris1385
06/04/2009, 02:02 PM
ezem1y is who I was talking about. He ended up just putting a tropper body lift on it.

nfpgasmask
06/04/2009, 03:00 PM
So what exactly is the point of a body lift and a suspension lift together? A suspension lift will give you more underbelly clearance and a little more room for bigger meat. A body lift will give you more tire clearance and save the CV angles, but together is it simply to get more clearance for bigger tires? Is that the only "benefit"?

Bart

pbkid
06/04/2009, 03:01 PM
So what exactly is the point of a body lift and a suspension lift together? A suspension lift will give you more underbelly clearance and a little more room for bigger meat. A body lift will give you more tire clearance and save the CV angles, but together is it simply to get more clearance for bigger tires? Is that the only "benefit"?

Bart

you've got it, good sir...

body lift is purely to fit bigger tires..

if someone could manufacture a good body lift, we could easy roll 35's with no CV issues...(interesting idea eh? :naughty: )

nfpgasmask
06/04/2009, 03:37 PM
you've got it, good sir...

body lift is purely to fit bigger tires..

if someone could manufacture a good body lift, we could easy roll 35's with no CV issues...(interesting idea eh? :naughty: )

Right, but this would simply be for looks, right? I mean, with 35"s you would get some more clearance underneath, but you would get more clearance from a suspension lift, right???

Bart

pbkid
06/04/2009, 03:44 PM
the combination of a suspension lift with body lift, allows you to get maximum clearance underneath (suspension lift) and then the best approach and departure angle possible, (body lift) along with the ability to get over bigger rocks, cracks and holes with larger tires (combination)

crotchrocket
06/05/2009, 04:33 AM
Right, but this would simply be for looks, right? I mean, with 35"s you would get some more clearance underneath, but you would get more clearance from a suspension lift, right???

Bart

As we have independant front axles the suspension lift does give greater ground clearance on the front. Most 4x4's that have a solid front and rear axle do a lift to get bigger tyres as the only way to get better ground clearance on a solid axle truck is to fit bigger tyres.

Ldub
06/05/2009, 04:40 AM
As we have independant front axles the suspension lift does give greater ground clearance on the front. Most 4x4's that have a solid front and rear axle do a lift to get bigger tyres as the only way to get better ground clearance on a solid axle truck is to fit bigger tyres.

That' why I've always been "on the fence" with regard to differential drop brackets...:_wrench:

You lose 40 - 50% of the ground clearance that you gained by lifting...:_confused

crotchrocket
06/05/2009, 04:54 AM
That' why I've always been "on the fence" with regard to differential drop brackets...:_wrench:

You lose 40 - 50% of the ground clearance that you gained by lifting...:_confused

I agree, I have wound my front right up but i will be putting locking wheel hubs on so 90% of the time there will be no wear to the cv joints or boots. Winding the front up and dropping the diff to cope is definately an aesthetic thing and not an off roading mod

tom4bren
06/05/2009, 05:48 AM
"i will be putting locking wheel hubs on so 90% of the time there will be no wear to the cv joints or boots."

Fine for our JDM bretheren but not really an option for ours (unless someone perfects the TOD switch).

JHarris1385
06/05/2009, 05:50 AM
From what ezem1y and I discussed his body lift went on fine and was very good.

tom4bren
06/05/2009, 11:22 AM
So, does anyone know if the gas tank does need to be adjusted? Sounds like it does but I don't know if that's only for a 3" lift. If I'm only doing a 1" lift, does it still need to be adjusted?

What will a body lift do to my 'Tone' receiver hitch. Is it going to leave a 1" gap where I cut the cladding?

CrnCnn
06/05/2009, 12:03 PM
So, does anyone know if the gas tank does need to be adjusted? Sounds like it does but I don't know if that's only for a 3" lift. If I'm only doing a 1" lift, does it still need to be adjusted?

What will a body lift do to my 'Tone' receiver hitch. Is it going to leave a 1" gap where I cut the cladding?

The only body lift I have ever dealt with was on my old wrangler. I had to watch out for the filler neck I think but not the tank itself. Also the linkage stretched from the column to the gearbox.... it was about 12-12 years ago so cant really remember it all.

Ldub
06/06/2009, 12:41 AM
From what ezem1y and I discussed his body lift went on fine and was very good.

Did he elaborate on any of the points mentioned below?

Yep, if the body goes up & the hitch is mounted to the frame...a gap is inevitable.

These, & other questions I would like answers to...:_wrench:

Steering linkage?
Transfer case shifter?
Transmission shifter?
Brake lines?
Any other frame mounted wires/hoses?
Radiator mount?

:_confused...:_wrench:

Triathlete
06/06/2009, 10:35 AM
Brake lines?

Brake lines shouldn't be affected. They do not mount to the body at any point.

tom4bren
06/08/2009, 05:45 AM
"Brake lines shouldn't be affected. They do not mount to the body at any point."

They attach to the master cylendar which is mounted to the firewall.

tom4bren
06/08/2009, 08:05 AM
OK everyone, sit down and hold on tight for this one ... I agree with Zeus.

The diff drop does NOT decrease your ground clearance at all. The associated crossmember drop does but I'd personally rather take a hit on the crossmember than just about anything else under there.

The loss in ground clearance is probably much more pronounced on mine than anyone elses since I have the Calmini crossmember. Someday I'll modify it to get back some of the ground clearance - it's just not high on my priority list. Let's just say it'll be done before I get to Moab:)

Actually I've been thinking that rather than raising the crossmember back to a more protected area, the better approach would be to fab a small skid plate to it so that if it gets hit, it'll just lift me over the obstacle without damage (other than abrasions).

LittleBeast
06/08/2009, 10:45 AM
Winding the front up and dropping the diff to cope is definately an aesthetic thing and not an off roading mod

Going to have to disagree here buddie. I just finished my 4.78 gear swap and did the diff drop at the same time, and it did not diminish the off road capabilities, if anything it has improved them, because the angle of the CV upon down flex is much less severe and will break less easily, and it does not decrease your ground clearance, it really just protects your oil pan and other things from being the 1st things hit. Diff drops are not an aesthetic mod, but a reliability mod, both off and on road :)

tom4bren
06/08/2009, 10:55 AM
This must be the strangest day in history. tom4bren agrees with both Zeus AND LittleBeast. What's next ... etlsport won't have a pic of some mod already in his archive???:eek: