PDA

View Full Version : trimming cladding

SomeBeach
05/26/2009, 06:04 AM
I have read that several members have trimmed the cladding on the front to help with larger tires. The thought of cutting the cladding doesn't make me feel well but I gotta get bigger tires....if nothing else, for a more stocky look. Can someone tell me where the cladding is actually cut. Is it visible when looking at the vehicle. And as thick as the cladding is what was used to cut it.

Ldub
05/26/2009, 06:10 AM
mmmmmm-hmmmmm...:yes:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_664.jpg

That pic isn't mine, but is of the R-F wheel well.

SomeBeach
05/26/2009, 06:13 AM
I work so much better with pictures. That don't look too bad. I wonder what tool would cut through that without cutting my arm off.http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_4647.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14521)

Ldub
05/26/2009, 08:13 AM
Available at Harbor Freight...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/0001_japansaw.gif

MSHardeman
05/26/2009, 08:20 AM
Dougie, depending on how big you go with your tires, and if you lift or not, you may end up cutting off even less of the cladding than is shown in the picture. When I was stock height and installed the Terra Grappler 285/60/18's I had to trim off just a tiny corner of the cladding, and that corner was just the tip of the cladding that sticks into the front of the wheel well. I didn't have to cut anywhere near the exterior lip of the cladding so unless I'm parked right next to an unaltered VX AND you stick your head into the wheel well and look at the front corner of the wheel well you would never know anything was removed. I ended up using a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to trim the cladding then used some sand paper to smooth everything out for a factory look.

SomeBeach
05/26/2009, 11:41 AM
That picture Ldub sent looked like it would work but I didn't see the electrical cord. I think I got it not. I read where guys were cutting cladding and beating sheet metel so I got worried.

MSHardeman
05/26/2009, 11:52 AM
You shouldn't have to do any serious trimming or sheet metal bashing until you get into some of the larger tire sizes (like Ldub's massive set up).

Ldub
05/26/2009, 12:01 PM
(Ldub's massive set up).

:mbrasd:...who told YOU?...:laughgray

Gussie2000
05/26/2009, 12:36 PM
Available at Harbor Freight...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/0001_japansaw.gif

LDUB are you serious ? This is nuts
Man you make me laugh so much I was close to piss my self hahahahaha
That machete looks like the ones my grandpa used to open the coconuts at the beach to make some tasty pina colada
I can just imagine dougie with this machete trimming the cladding

Ldub
05/26/2009, 12:56 PM
LDUB are you serious ? This is nuts
Man you make me laugh so much I was close to piss my self hahahahaha
That machete looks like the ones my grandpa used to open the coconuts at the beach to make some tasty pina colada
I can just imagine dougie with this machete trimming the cladding

If you go on the Harbor Freight website, & find that particular instrument of certain destruction, you'll find that it's a Japan saw, which makes a straight, relatively smooth, cut.

They cut on the "pull" stroke, so they take a little getting used to...:smilewink

Although I can definitely see the humor in trimming the cladding with a machete...:rolleyes:...:laughgray

Gussie2000
05/26/2009, 01:04 PM
If you go on the Harbor Freight website, & find that particular instrument of certain destruction, you'll find that it's a Japan saw, which makes a straight, relatively smooth, cut.

They cut on the "pull" stroke, so they take a little getting used to...:smilewink

Although I can definitely see the humor in trimming the cladding with a machete...:rolleyes:...:laughgray

I think dougie will have problem handling this saw since he's not japanese at all jejeje

Marlin
05/26/2009, 01:08 PM
I didn't trim the front of my cladding at all, but rather behind the wheel. I used a craftsman razor blade pocket knife. You could probably use a pocket knife. I then took a 3lb sledge and banged in the body seams that were still in the way, I had to use an cutting wheel to modify my sliders as well. No problem...I had never done this either so don't worry, it can be done. Now I am making skid plates and soon starting a bumper. It is very addictive. From this:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP0054.JPG

To this:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/moab%202009/IMG_0610.jpg

Triathlete
05/26/2009, 01:39 PM
I trimmed just a tad off of my cladding:bwgy:
A sawzall did the job like a hot knife cutting butter!
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/Rock%20sliders/Trimmed%20cladding/P1010070.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/Rock%20sliders/Trimmed%20cladding/P1010065.jpg

However when I had previously did some minor trimming for tire clearing a razor knife worked just fine.:thumbup:

Moncha
05/26/2009, 03:36 PM
I held out for so long, when I got my Nitto TG's (285-60-18) I could bear it. Then I actually did it. It's very easy with a razor knife and you don't take very much off. Don't let some of these guys scare ya, they're harmless. Unless you're a VX :)

nfpgasmask
05/26/2009, 03:44 PM
I had to trim mine as well. Its not hard and it does not detract from the external look of the VX (unless you do a major job like Billy (Triathlete) did :D.

I used a Dremel with a small cutoff wheel attachment to trim mine. It's quite simple. I can't imagine getting enough leverage with a hand tool to do it, unless you remove the front bumper cladding. I did mine in the parking lot of the the tire shop. :D

Bart

Sprey
05/26/2009, 06:50 PM
I used a airhacksaw thing to trim the front of the cladding. Had to do it at the mechanics so i could get home :O

Tho on the way home the rear of the wheel was rubbing so trimmed that to.
Used a hacksaw and cut some of the plastic.

Wheels are 265/75/16 0 offset And ome912 rear springs, front tbar crank with a bj flip

Ldub
05/26/2009, 08:19 PM
I can't imagine getting enough leverage with a hand tool to do it, unless you remove the front bumper cladding.
Bart

When tool sharp Grasshopper, you need no leverage...:cool:

AK Falco
05/26/2009, 10:04 PM

Ldub is right these japan saw's are extremely sharp and will cut anything, wood, plastic, cheese, rib eye steak! probably your plate too.:p

VX KAT
05/26/2009, 11:05 PM
I took the plunge today and ordered my 285/60-18 rubber.....so that means my cladding will need to have some trimming when I get them installed.

I've read several posts that mention a "triangle" shape cut out from the front of the front wheel well and then I saw the great pic Ldub attached above. Going to print that and take it to the install shop for their reference so they can do it.

Question: Hopefully wont have to be doing the BFH routine to any metal in there, is there any other cladding areas that need trimmed? (No lift, just the bigger tires above). Don't want any surprises if possible. :thanx:

Ldub
05/26/2009, 11:21 PM
I took the plunge today and ordered my 285/60-18 rubber.....so that means my cladding will need to have some trimming when I get them installed.

I've read several posts that mention a "triangle" shape cut out from the front of the front wheel well and then I saw the great pic Ldub attached above. Going to print that and take it to the install shop for their reference so they can do it.

Question: Hopefully wont have to be doing the BFH routine to any metal in there, is there any other cladding areas that need trimmed? (No lift, just the bigger tires above). Don't want any surprises if possible. :thanx:

I can't take credit for the pic...just wish I could remember who to give photo cred to...:mbrasd:
I horked it from another members gallery...:rolleyes:

As long as you're mounting the new skinz on stock rims, you should be OK...but there are never any iron clad guarantees against "no surprises"...:smilewink

Can't wait to see the pics...:_drool:

MSHardeman
05/27/2009, 08:13 AM
Kat (Sue), with the tires that you are describing you should only have to trim the point off of the front cladding which is a MUCH smaller piece from what is shown in the picture Dub posted.

If you stand next to the front tire (let's use the drivers side as an example) and look right in front of the tire you will see that the cladding comes to a point. This point is at the very bottom of the cladding at the front of the wheel well. The only thing you really need to do with the 285/60/18's is knock that point off. I turned my wheels until they hit that point to give me a reference on where to start cutting. I HATE to maul my baby so I cut very little off to begin with and then kept sanding and sanding until I had just cleared the tire.

If you went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers that should be all you need to trim. I was stock height with the TG's for my first three Moab's and never had a rubbing problem. Moncha had the TG's and was stock height this year and I don't believe that he had any problems either.

You're going to LOVE your new tires.

VX KAT
05/27/2009, 05:02 PM
I went with the Cooper Zeon LTZ, it's a new tire and looks very similar to the TGs and the Toyo Open Country A/T, a bit more aggressive than the O/C. RiffRaff pointed them out to me. Weigh 49 lbs (just a tad less than the O/Cs, and about 3+ lbs less than TGs)

They're hard to find, had to order them and will take almost 10 days. These tires come with a 50,000 mile warranty too, which is almost unheard of I thought on tires like this. They're UTQC rating is 520 so they're going to last a lot longer than all the ultra high performance tires I'm used to putting on my cars (in the past).

This economy is really different.....negotiated with local tire shop against the PepBoys "buy3 get 4th free offer".....PepBoys was $161/tire +m/b + tax. Got the tire shop to include a free alignment (when needed on VX or FJ), free rotating and balancing for 10 times, "membership" in their tire club, free flat fixing (plugs), all for $720 out the door (including AZ sales tax).....plus they're local so I don't have to drive to Phoenix Pep Boys 90 miles for anything. They're also going to take my old tires on consignment. I also have them listed on Craigslist.

I LOVE to negotiate on all "car" things, I love torturing car sales people the most though!:naughty: They assume I'm just an innocent damsel in distress and don't know a thing about tires or cars....ha ha ha...are they wrong!

Will let you know how they fit and post pics too.
These pics aren't in my size just some "real" pics I found online that gave better perspective on tires since I can't find them anywhere in any size to see in person.

ah, one question....why didn't I get these BEFORE Moab????

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/ab13_3.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/83b1_1_sbl.JPG

Marlin
05/27/2009, 05:16 PM
Sue,
Which wheels are you going to put them on? How did the putty hold up on the chipped wheel?
Those tires look sweet, leave it to Riffraff to find some unique hidden tire out there...

VX KAT
05/27/2009, 06:18 PM
OEMs, not getting new wheels right now ($$).

The MightyPutty held onto the rim most of the day on Wed. I tried to take any rocks on the left so that right front wouldn't be as stressed, especially air downed like it was to 18 psi. Those lip edges were sharp! It finally fell off shortly before we finished Hell's Revenge, but THANK YOU for thinking that up, I'm sure it helped the sidewall not get sliced wide open.

That big missing lip chunk was just too severe for me so I met up with "circmand" on Sunday in some podunk little town in Northern AZ and bought one of his used 18" OEM rims. Now the chipped lip rim will be retired to the shed (and one day maybe used as a full size spare). I'm thinking I may buy another OEM rim from circmand in a while. His remaining ones had road rash on the rim, but still would be a great backup.

Triathlete
05/27/2009, 07:09 PM
Get those OEM's powdercoated (or painted) flat black and they will look sweet!:cool:

rowhard
05/27/2009, 08:16 PM
Sue,
Which wheels are you going to put them on? How did the putty hold up on the chipped wheel?
Those tires look sweet, leave it to Riffraff to find some unique hidden tire out there...

Not bad for a lazy officer as you once said

rowhard
05/27/2009, 08:19 PM
Get those OEM's powdercoated (or painted) flat black and they will look sweet!:cool:

Yes Billy, with that Foxfire Red Mica, you might be right. Damn that was a sweet ride Sue had. My second choice, tide with the Proton, but I love my Dragon. Just have to rub out that Cowboy pinstrip I got at Moab on my new paint job.

Ldub
05/27/2009, 08:27 PM
Now the chipped lip rim will be retired to the shed (and one day maybe used as a full size spare). .

Chipped rims also make a real nice place to store your garden hose...:naughty:

Just bolt it to the wall of the shed, & voila!

rowhard
05/27/2009, 08:32 PM
Dougie, it is plastic, you can trim it with anything, even your pocket knife, If you stick with the stock wheel, i.e.; 38mm positive offset, use the photo Ldub provide. IF you go with a different wheel, well, then things change. There is the problem of 'crowning' with a 285 on a 7 inch wheel.

VX KAT
05/27/2009, 09:48 PM
Let's see, you might be a redneck if....

Chipped rims also make a real nice place to store your garden hose...:naughty:

Just bolt it to the wall of the shed, & voila! :p:laugho: