PDA

View Full Version : Texas Hill country

Doomer
05/23/2009, 08:07 PM
WooHoo! Last weekend I was deep in the Texas Hill country. I am a State Rep for the Christian Motorcyclists Association, and we held our State Rally in Leakey. As the Fast lane Rep, I am responsible for the sportbikes and dual sports (road legal dirt bikes).
The sport bikes, no problem. Get a map, find some twisty roads. The dual sports, a little tougher. They want to ride rough, dirt roads. I don't own such a bike. Hmmm, what to do? I know! I'll get there early and explore the dirt roads in my VX! I had a blast!
Me and my buddy piled in the VX and set off. WE played "Paris-Dakar", flying down dirt roads, fording streams, climbing steep hills, catching air, and climbing on football sized rocks out of dry river bottoms. Some of the roads we went down, no way a bike could have made it. We finally pieced together a decent route for the bikes and headed back to camp. Rats! I forgot to take my camera!
Believe it or not, we saw deer,eagles, giraffes, kangaroos, camels, and more. Was I still in Texas? Yeah, someone's got lots of money and a HUGE exotic ranch down there. Cool.
Awesome roads. Just Google or Mapquest Leakey and check out Ranch Roads 335,336, & 337...the "Three Sisters".
The VX pulled the trailer with 2 bikes easily. Check the pic. Even with the trailer behind, we were passing some bikes on the hills!
I can hardly wait for next year. You see, there was this one dirt road that looked real promising......
Robert

don moore
05/23/2009, 08:09 PM
sounds like you had fun..... :usa:

LittleBeast
05/23/2009, 08:12 PM
Sounds awesome! I am glad you got to use the VX for what it was designed for :) I have heard good things about the 3 sisters roads out there, the RX-8 Club had their state meet out there last weekend and said it was great.

Doomer
05/23/2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah. I have ridden most of the paved roads down there as I take my Ninja down there every year. Now I have a dilemma on my hands. Go down for some good road riding, and go exploring the backroads in the VX. How many days off can I get? There are more dirt roads than paved roads.
Used to be, my vehicle was used to tow the bike down, then parked for 3-4 days while I rode everywhere. The VX has changed all that! Double the fun now. The VX is also lots of fun on the paved roads. My wife is happy & confident to drive it around while I am out bike riding during the day.
Hey, when mama's happy.....
Robert

pbkid
05/24/2009, 09:09 AM
sounds like a blast....

enjoy that VX ;)