PDA

View Full Version : Vanity Is Clouding My Judgement........please help !!!!

crotchrocket
05/22/2009, 04:52 AM
Going to be driving down to Newquey in Cornwall next weekend which is about 5 hours drive. I should really take my 33" mud tyres off and put the stock rims and road tyres back on as the MPG will be SO much better, also the tyre noise could get anoying after about 3 minutes!!!! :rolleyes:

i just cant stand what it will look like with the standard rims on, lol it will go from this

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/100_4967.jpg

TO THIS

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/103_4958.jpg

lol

Looks like its missing something, i really wish the stock rim offset was a bit more aggressive.

Anyhoo, please tell me i'm being an idiot and to put the stock wheels back on, its only for a few days !!!

And i'll save about £80 in fuel just going there and back!!!! plus the mud tyres wear QUICKLY!!

Ldub
05/22/2009, 04:57 AM
HA!...no help from me!:naughty:

You already KNOW what you're gonna do...as with mods, rationalization won't help...:laughgray

etlsport
05/22/2009, 05:05 AM
:dance: im pretty sure that your gas mileage wont change that much, with the larger tires you cruise at a lower rpm than with factory tires, its just city driving that really kills the mileage with oversized tires

now for the noise and tire wear.. well not much argument there.. stock will be much better for that.. loosing the roof rack will probably help a bit for noise and mpg though

crotchrocket
05/22/2009, 05:32 AM
Just found i can fly there and back for £50 cheaper lol

Marlin
05/22/2009, 07:23 AM
Sheewwwww, crisis over, I don't know what I would have done either. I could have put the factory wheels and tires back on my expy for my 6K mile trip to moab and back, saved a few hundred bucks in gas plus a few hundred in rubber. But damn, those tires and wheels look way cooler than factory. ;)

nocturnalVX
05/22/2009, 09:24 AM
I drove all the way to Moab (twice) on my 31" Pro Comp Xterrains. I like the look, and don't mind the faster wear (though they seem to be holding up well). Yes, the mileage might be better than your 33"s. However, your odometer will be off more, so you might be getting better mileage than you think. The noise issue is one I can't comment on because my tires are pretty quiet. I think it has to do with the directional pattern of the tread. I say you should show off your cool VX, don't go back to the original tires!

circmand
05/22/2009, 09:45 AM
the stock look

Gussie2000
05/22/2009, 09:58 AM
Hmmmm ......
This is bit tough to answer,since your inquiry is related to economy i guess the OEM wheels will go better;What if you go paint the OEM rims in black ?

kodiak
05/22/2009, 10:23 AM
Just remember, when you travel you’re not only representing your self but all of VX kind. So dress accordingly! :cool:

nfpgasmask
05/22/2009, 11:04 AM
I thought the same thing when I bought my new rims and tires. I kept my stock wheels and thought to myself, "I'll put the stock rims and street tires on for daily use". Nope. Once I saw the Teflon Chambers and new rubber I knew I could never look back.

Sell your stock rims and tires. You're never gonna use em! :cool!:

Bart

tomdietrying
05/22/2009, 11:15 AM
I don't know, but I think it might be worth it to look COOL all the time.:cool:
Peace.
Tom

taylorRichie
05/22/2009, 11:34 AM
I thought the same thing when I bought my new rims and tires. I kept my stock wheels and thought to myself, "I'll put the stock rims and street tires on for daily use". Nope. Once I saw the Teflon Chambers and new rubber I knew I could never look back.

Bart

HOOOOOLD your horses :)

I'm glad no one bought my stock setup I had forsale...

I get to put them on this afternoon so I can pass the local Safety Inspection :(

Utah you can't have your tires stick out past the flares (probably most states/countries have similar laws) and I need mudflaps.

Quick solution, pop on the stockers, and I should be able to pass with neither flares nor flaps.

If I end up needing flaps still I'll throw on some naked lady ones... ;):eek::eek:;)

I didn't buy the VX for fuel Economy, and I don't prefer the stock minivan height (unless you've got some wide wheels and a more street like stance) So after the inspection... back to the 33X12.5 that stick out a couple inches and leave me with 14mpgs!!

That being said, I've only put 5,000 miles on my VX since I bought it :D Just turned 52,000 miles today.

VXIRONwoMAN
05/22/2009, 12:04 PM
Well from my experience the gas mileage is relatively the same. The tires don't make THAT big of a difference. It's really the odo reading that changes. I live in Las Vegas for a year and would go back home to So Cal every other weekend. This is when I had my completely stock Ironman, my odo would read 300 miles exactly from Point A to Point B. Making the same exact stops and the same exact drive in the Proton with 16" alloys and 32" BFG AT's my odo was off by about 40 miles. But yet I made it home on the same amount of gas I have always used...

Just food for thought...

taylorRichie
05/22/2009, 12:08 PM
Really mileage depends on the wheels... rotational mass, not diameter.

My 20X8.5" wheels Weigh a ton!! Therefore my mileage suffers greatly :) And my scanguage corrects the Speedo for me.

Leah
05/22/2009, 01:24 PM
Does Batman ALWAYS wear his cape and mask?
Does Superman ALWAYS wear his tights and shield?

There is a reason superheros blend in most of the time...think about it.

LittleBeast
05/23/2009, 12:47 AM
i prefer the stock look

You must be kidding? Wow, that is like the kid who wants to always stay in the kiddie pool when the grand rapids are waiting right there ;)

Just remember, when you travel you’re not only representing your self but all of VX kind. So dress accordingly! :cool:

EXACTLY :) Make us all proud!

Bart

Yes that is why I sold my stockers as soon as I could. Oh and I know a mechanic down the street who I have never had a problem passing the VX for inspection sticker, I just keep it clean and pretty, lol.

Definitely leave your mudders on and sell the stock stuff to save up for another set of mudders :)

Ldub
05/23/2009, 01:03 AM
Does Batman ALWAYS wear his cape and mask?

There is a reason superheros blend in most of the time...think about it.

Well yah but...:rolleyesg

Superheros are imaginary, these are real life & death STYLE issues we're talkin' here...:laughgray

Marlin
05/23/2009, 05:57 AM
Really mileage depends on the wheels... rotational mass, not diameter.

My 20X8.5" wheels Weigh a ton!! Therefore my mileage suffers greatly :) And my scanguage corrects the Speedo for me.

I would say tires and wheels make a huge difference. Maybe not so much on highway driving, but for normal stop and go, you talk about adding a 33" AT or MT tire, thats an extra 20-30 lbs per tire plus the unsprung weight. That is part of the reason that I have the AT2s, they weigh somewhere around 44lbs, which is almost exactly the same as the factory tire, but I put an extra couple of inches of rubber on the road. I would imagine that the roof rack kills mpg as well. That little 3.5L just isn't enough for a heavyweight VX. I didn't realize that the curb weight is close 5K lbs.

Leah
05/23/2009, 11:33 AM
Well yah but...:rolleyesg

Superheros are imaginary, these are real life & death STYLE issues we're talkin' here...:laughgray

Good call.

LOL

pbkid
05/23/2009, 03:51 PM

umm....superman doesnt carry a shield...

are you thinking of captain america?

Leah
05/23/2009, 08:14 PM
umm....superman doesnt carry a shield...

are you thinking of captain america?

On the new Superman, he peels that shieid shaped thingy off his chest and throws it. I guess he used it more as a weapon than as a shield, but it is shaped like a shield.

Um, I didn't want to use the word "cape" twice.:confused:

pbkid
05/24/2009, 09:06 AM
oh ok. i can see where you got that then...

nevermind. back to the tj'ing ;)

Leah
05/24/2009, 07:39 PM
oh ok. i can see where you got that then...

nevermind. back to the tj'ing ;)

LOL

crotchrocket
05/25/2009, 06:00 AM
ok you gits, now im definately not changing the wheels!!! I'll bill the forum for the extra fuel, lol :D

VCrossfan
05/25/2009, 10:36 AM
Sheewwwww, crisis over, I don't know what I would have done either. I could have put the factory wheels and tires back on my expy for my 6K mile trip to moab and back, saved a few hundred bucks in gas plus a few hundred in rubber. But damn, those tires and wheels look way cooler than factory. ;)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_00091.jpg