PDA

View Full Version : A few random thoughts...

Ldub
05/21/2009, 03:44 AM
As I start this, it's a bit after five ayem, & the sun is beginning to cast an orange-purple glow over the eastern horizon...:cool:

Seems the right time to type out a few random natterings about nothing & everything.

Both Jim & I had an incredibly good time in Moab.
He took the lead both ways, & was pretty stoked about being able to do so. Given the challenges he's had to overcome in the last years, I can see where that would give him a pretty good boost...:thumbup:
I'll proudly fly down the road as his wing man any ol' day!

Though there were many absent, that were missed much, it was still a great coming together of the wicked VX Fam...:naughty:
Just writing that brings a not so small amount of condensation to the corner of my eye, when I realize how much I miss being there with those I choose as my Family.
I feel very fortunate to be associated with such a fine group of individuals, I just can't imagine that I've been so lucky as to be included in your company.

The hot-rod got a mileage high of 17.32 mpg on one stretch, with an overall average of 15.27...not bad, all things considered.

As usual, the further from Fgo we went, the better the mileage, no matter which direction we were going.

Well, nuff for now... my building is starting to fill up with daytime cubicle dwellers, & I'll be off in a couple of hours.:yes:

See Y'all later on down the trail...

CrnCnn
05/21/2009, 06:25 AM
Though there were many absent, that were missed much, it was still a great coming together of the wicked VX Fam...:naughty:
Just writing that brings a not so small amount of condensation to the corner of my eye, when I realize how much I miss being there with those I choose as my Family.
I feel very fortunate to be associated with such a fine group of individuals, I just can't imagine that I've been so lucky as to be included in your company.

Dub, your the man!!! Cant wait to go next year. I hope the redrock remains cause thats were we are staying if so.

:_beer: <-- thats Vitamin water this morning. I dont like beer for breakfast.

Moncha
05/21/2009, 06:49 AM
Well said my brother! I, myself being somewhat challenged (Don't go there!) am so very proud of Sir Jim's accomplishments. The blessed attitude of "I do" lives very strongly in Jim and I am humbled to have been in his presence. He and his 'tude will remind me of what I can accomplish on a daily basis and I can do it without complaint, no matter the difficulties.

Thank you both for finding a way to make this year a great experience!

Ldub
05/21/2009, 06:57 AM
Dub, your the man!!! Cant wait to go next year. I hope the redrock remains cause thats were we are staying if so.

:_beer: <-- thats Vitamin water this morning. I dont like beer for breakfast.

Nahhh...I ain't the man, I'm just one lucky SOB, that has had the extreme good fortune to have become aquainted with an incredibly broad spectrum of people that I like...A LOT!
The kind of people that are WORTHY of liking...:yes:
And don't even think of second guessing me on that last point, my guts are never wrong...:smilewink

Also, thanks for reminding me...gotta call The Rock & make my rezzie for next year...:yes:

Scott Harness
05/21/2009, 07:19 AM
Yes!! another wonderful gathering of my chosen brothers and sisters.Thanks for being there,in body or spirit.:cool:

MSHardeman
05/21/2009, 07:53 AM
Well put Dub. It was great to see you and Jim, as well as everyone else, back in Moab this year. It truely is the high point of my year and I always look forward to next years Moab trip as soon as I get home from this years.

I am always amazed at how all of us seem to get along so well yet we come from such diverse backgrounds. Our little family went through a lot this past year and we're always there for each other even though most of us have never met face to face before.

I am very proud to call everyone on the forum family and I look forward to what's around the corner.

tom4bren
05/21/2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks alot Dub. I'm already upset that I can't make it cause it's too far. Now you lay this inspirational guilt trip on me. I can't take it anymore - think I'll go re-invent the chocolate monkey.:)

Ldub
05/21/2009, 10:11 AM
Well said my brother! I, myself being somewhat challenged (Don't go there!) am so very proud of Sir Jim's accomplishments. The blessed attitude of "I do" lives very strongly in Jim and I am humbled to have been in his presence. He and his 'tude will remind me of what I can accomplish on a daily basis and I can do it without complaint, no matter the difficulties.

Yes!! another wonderful gathering of my chosen brothers and sisters.Thanks for being there,in body or spirit.:cool:

Well put Dub. It was great to see you and Jim, as well as everyone else, back in Moab this year. It truely is the high point of my year and I always look forward to next years Moab trip as soon as I get home from this years.

I am always amazed at how all of us seem to get along so well yet we come from such diverse backgrounds. Our little family went through a lot this past year and we're always there for each other even though most of us have never met face to face before.

I am very proud to call everyone on the forum family and I look forward to what's around the corner.

Thanks alot Dub. I'm already upset that I can't make it cause it's too far. Now you lay this inspirational guilt trip on me. I can't take it anymore - think I'll go re-invent the chocolate monkey.:)

To All, :rolleyes:
I was thinking along the same lines over the last few days as what Larry expressed here. I compiled an email at work, full of photos, to highlight the great time I had in Moab with the rare collective of friends and rigs (of which I am proud to be a part of), so I could show my selected and favored co-workers (35 of them) that simply, we exist... only because I think it/we truly is/are that special of a group worth noting. We are all so lucky to have had the option and means to attend the gathering in these times. But on a personal level, and more so, we are lucky to also be a part of a group that makes the gathering so special for each and every one of us! I thank you all for that feeling of belonging and acceptance and... peace... I get from you!!! Truthfully, Moab in May has become what I have started to term as "the family reunion".

I get sentimental when I think about selling Zeus because owning a VX has proven to be more than just about owning a car... Yet ironically, my experience has grown to be more about belonging to something as special and unique as what the VX has brought me, and less about owning that special and unique vehicle that brought me there. 4 years ago, I never would have been able to imagine the car I just bought would bring such a gift as "chosen family". LUV YA!!! :heart:

Sappy Sheeot or not...:heart:...:thumbup:

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around what the last four years of Moab adventures has meant to me & Jim.
I know what this trip means to me every year , & I don't think I'm the only one around here who knows what it means to Jim.
If you've met him in Moab, you know.
It all started as an offroad adventure, seeing all the posts & pics from years gone by got the hook in DEEP.
We talked about it & started planning & saving, & were under the mistaken impression that the whole deal was about driving around on a bunch of rocky scenery. (it's everywhere you look, I tell ya...:rolleyesg)

I'm happy to say I was completely wrong, even if they closed all the trails, I think there would be a pretty high percentage of this bunch that would still be there every May...:thumbup:
Some of us might even go hiking or mountain biking...:eek:

You all are what makes me go into a post Moab tail spin every year...:sighwgray And I Thank You!
After all, how could one appreciate pleasure, without pain to have as a comparison?:_confused

I can't explain how bummed I start getting about the time I cross the ND border. We've been back since tue afternoon, & today is the first time I've felt like posting, or even reading my email.

Oh, & Tom...You're welcome. Do whatever it takes, you won't be disappointed.:yes:

CrnCnn
05/21/2009, 10:23 AM
This is why I push so hard for other VX owners who aren't on here to get on here. I know A LOT of them just dont get it and just have a unique vehicle, they just dont see it the way we do. I know there quite a few on here that dont get it either.

VX owners are basically a unique bunch, and those of us who think like this thread are even more unique in my opinion. I also wasnt really sure what the big deal with Moab was until last year and let me tell you, for me, it SUX not making this years get together.

Just a thought. Since there are some who think Moab is too far or just dont want to drive that far, is there another destination we could consider for fall meets? Some where more middle U.S. that would be equal for everyone. I know there are alot who dont want to wheel their ride. So if the May trip is not just about Moab, then why not something that would just be a cool place to get together. Like Sturgis is to a lot of Harley riders.???

Ldub
05/21/2009, 10:28 AM
This is why I push so hard for other VX owners who aren't on here to get on here. I know A LOT of them just dont get it and just have a unique vehicle, they just dont see it the way we do. I know there quite a few on here that dont get it either.

VX owners are basically a unique bunch, and those of us who think like this thread are even more unique in my opinion. I also wasnt really sure what the big deal with Moab was until last year and let me tell you, for me, it SUX not making this years get together.

Just a thought. Since there are some who think Moab is too far or just dont want to drive that far, is there another destination we could consider for fall meets? Some where more middle U.S. that would be equal for everyone. I know there are alot who dont want to wheel their ride. So if the May trip is not just about Moab, then why not something that would just be a cool place to get together. Like Sturgis is to a lot of Harley riders.???

I vote for Fargo...:smilewink

Or Custer SD...or anywhere in the black hills area of SD.

Beautiful country, & the possibility of some logging road type wheelin'.:rolleyes:

WormGod
05/21/2009, 12:46 PM
Middle of the states? Hell, why not the middle of Manhattan? :p

I am one of those who not only doesn't care to travel in the VX, but I also don't go offroad. Smashed cladding, dents, scrapes, and broken linkage is totally against my nature. I won't risk it in the VX (but I will in yours ;) ). I get enough thrill seeing all of your MOAB pics and just wishing I still had my old Rodeo or Amigo.... then I might take that cross-country plunge. I am with you all in spirit. :cool:

Dub, you are a solid voice for the community as a whole and your kind words are only that much more inspiring to this tight knit group. With members like yourself and many, many others here that strive to get together and meet up for various reasons, we will outlive most other car communities. Thanks goes to you.

nfpgasmask
05/21/2009, 01:46 PM
Larry/Scott- Let me just say, it is awesome that there is a designated forum section just for this!! :thumbup:

Secondly, I mistaking thought not coming to Moab this year would be no big deal. However in hindsight, it actually royally sucks. It is depressing that Linda and I and the other Renoites didn't make it out. Originally, we were planning to go to Japan this year for our anniversary. But as 2008 became 2009, we sorta realized that we didn't really have the money to take the trip, and we also didn't have enough vacation time given some other things going on this year.

Now, what REALLY sucks, is that because the Japan thing didn't happen this year, we are going to seriously try for next year. So I simply have no way of telling at this point how things will pan out for a 2010 trip to Moab for us. If we go to Japan, we will most likely be going for 2 weeks. And that means all my vaca time will be toasted in one lump sum. Now, given that a 2 week trip to Nippon will most likely be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us, I am ok with taking the 2 weeks. But the thought of not having ANY more vaca time for the rest of the year makes me want to ;puke2;.

So, I have been trying to think of a way I can make both trips happen. If we can plan the Japan trip early enough in the year, and schedule it for sometime NOT during the middle of May, that will be a start. Then, I will just need to figure out a way to take a week off unpaid to go to Moab. Which ALSO means I will need to figure out a way to save enough money to make it work as well.

The road ahead is a challenging one, but I would love to be there next year. Missing Moab this year just wasn't quite right....:_wtf:

Bart

nfpgasmask
05/21/2009, 01:51 PM
Just a thought. Since there are some who think Moab is too far or just dont want to drive that far, is there another destination we could consider for fall meets?

Clint, I think that is a great idea and one I have wondered about for a long time. Why is it that we only have 1 MEET A YEAR :wtfy:

Personally, I think regionally set up meets would be a good idea as well.

I am REALLY hoping the Mammoth Lakes 4th of July thing happens again this year, and I think that should become a regular annual meet-up thing for all of Nevada and Cali. I mean, I know a lot of people like to do more traditional things for the 4th of July, and maybe these dates are bad for that reason, but I do think we should have some sort of regional meet ups. You know, a spot that is like no more than 5-6 hours from just about everyone.

And all this makes me wonder. Where the hell are all the northern California VXers? I know they are out there? San Fran? Sacramento? Fresno? Come on!!!

Bart

Scott Harness
05/21/2009, 03:18 PM

I rode "shotgun" with Jim on Hell's Revenge.Great driver!

Gussie2000
05/21/2009, 04:38 PM

Man you read my mind :o

Over here at the north east things seems to be more difficult to get together.

Since i called all the north east VX'ers last year to find a spot to hang out only few seems really interested to do so,mostly because many don't wanna drive couple of hours to meet.

Ldub
05/22/2009, 12:27 AM
Dub, you are a solid voice for the community as a whole and your kind words are only that much more inspiring to this tight knit group. With members like yourself and many, many others here that strive to get together and meet up for various reasons, we will outlive most other car communities. Thanks goes to you.

I don't know about all that G Man...:mbrasd:

But it's awfully nice of you to say...:thanx:

I do however agree wholeheartedly, the Fam will be around LONG after any other online community anywhere...many of us will be living in the VX commune/plantation/Isuzu salvage yard...:laughgray

Larry/Scott- Let me just say, it is awesome that there is a designated forum section just for this!! :thumbup:

So, I have been trying to think of a way I can make both trips happen. If we can plan the Japan trip early enough in the year, and schedule it for sometime NOT during the middle of May, that will be a start. Then, I will just need to figure out a way to take a week off unpaid to go to Moab. Which ALSO means I will need to figure out a way to save enough money to make it work as well.

The road ahead is a challenging one, but I would love to be there next year. Missing Moab this year just wasn't quite right....:_wtf:

Bart

I see a mop in your future...:smilewink...:laughgray...:smilewink

pbkid
05/23/2009, 03:28 PM
I get sentimental when I think about selling Zeus because owning a VX has proven to be more than just about owning a car...

you can always be an honarary member around here...like jay

Triathlete
05/23/2009, 06:08 PM
Originally, we were planning to go to Japan this year for our anniversary. But as 2008 became 2009, we sorta realized that we didn't really have the money to take the trip, and we also didn't have enough vacation time given some other things going on this year.

Now, what REALLY sucks, is that because the Japan thing didn't happen this year, we are going to seriously try for next year. So I simply have no way of telling at this point how things will pan out for a 2010 trip to Moab for us. If we go to Japan, we will most likely be going for 2 weeks. And that means all my vaca time will be toasted in one lump sum. Now, given that a 2 week trip to Nippon will most likely be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us, I am ok with taking the 2 weeks. But the thought of not having ANY more vaca time for the rest of the year makes me want to ;puke2;.

Bart

I have been to Japan twice. Its okay but I will take Moab any day!:bwgy:

Ldub
05/24/2009, 01:32 AM
you can always be an honarary member around here...like jay

And Jim...:smilewink...:yes:

Ldub
05/24/2009, 01:39 AM
Well...0340 & boredom setting in...:rolleyesg

Couldn't help but notice as I walked into the building at 0000, the smell from all the flowering crab trees around here is PHENOMINAL!!!:yes:
Like perfume in the air...haven't smelled anything so nice since the last time I walked by a magnolia tree...FAR too long ago.

I spilled ramen noodle juice on my keyboard, so no typo's are my fault..well, I guess they are...:rolleyesg..:laughgray

Looking at "who's online", makes me wonder why a google spider is trying to create an event...:_confused

0415: Just stepped outside for a mo-mo...birds already starting to chirp in the trees, though sunrise is still a ways off...:confused:

The trees still smell great.

Patrol should be here soon to relieve me for my lunch break.

Had a micro down at the Great Falls (MT) location, back up now, so I can see their cameras again...:thumbup:

If you have a Noridian Mutual, or Blue Cross/Blue Shield office in your town, I can see you & what you're doing 24/7/365...:laughgray

We rent bandwidth from Santa...:smilewink

I monitor cameras, alarms & electronic locks/turnstiles all across ND, & also in MN, MT, WA, OR, AZ & UT.

I like to monitor this cam, but there is nothing to see at night...http://www.honolulu.gov/multimed/waikiki.asp

Moncha
05/24/2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks again for watching over the place while I get my rest. Makes me feel good that my baby has a sitter.

A point on the "Google Spider" as well as others is they aren't actually "trying" to create an event or any other things that we can do. They are only following the link. Once they can go no farther then they switch to another link and follow it. They follow links and "Document" the text that is on the page (If allowed) then go to the next link. To be more efficient, the search engines send as many "bots" as a site can support. Sometimes they send to many and they may make so many requests to a server that it is viewed as an attack and if the server's security settings are set properly, it will shut down certain services or all together out of self preservation. Such a thing happened this AM. Our noble Watchman caught it in action and the server did as told and shut down. All is fine in cyber land and all event logs show clear. ** Education over** ;)

Thank you again my friend for being our front against those cyber threats.

Ldub
05/24/2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks again for watching over the place while I get my rest. Makes me feel good that my baby has a sitter.

A point on the "Google Spider" as well as others is they aren't actually "trying" to create an event or any other things that we can do. They are only following the link. Once they can go no farther then they switch to another link and follow it. They follow links and "Document" the text that is on the page (If allowed) then go to the next link. To be more efficient, the search engines send as many "bots" as a site can support. Sometimes they send to many and they may make so many requests to a server that it is viewed as an attack and if the server's security settings are set properly, it will shut down certain services or all together out of self preservation. Such a thing happened this AM. Our noble Watchman caught it in action and the server did as told and shut down. All is fine in cyber land and all event logs show clear. ** Education over** ;)

Thank you again my friend for being our front against those cyber threats.

No problem Boss...glad to help out when I can.

Actually, it was more a case of me seeing a butt load of "guests" in the "who's online" screen, & freaking out...:mbrasd:
Sorry if I called too early...:rolleyes:

pbkid
05/24/2009, 10:28 AM
aw man dub...i was up til 4 last night.

but i dont have internet at my new casa yet so i couldnt come online and visit with you :(

don moore
05/24/2009, 03:37 PM
cool music on that cam....alot of people like to get there pics taken next to that statue...lol:p

Ldub
05/24/2009, 07:23 PM
cool music on that cam....alot of people like to get there pics taken next to that statue...lol:p

You shoulda seen it on May day (Lei Day in HI)...
Both his arms were COVERED in a profusion of beautiful flower leis...:yes:

kodiak
05/24/2009, 10:12 PM
I can’t believe I didn’t read this thread sooner. You’ve nailed it, this site is very special and I’m honored to be a part of such unique group. Who ever said you can’t choose your family was dead wrong.

I know a way you can go on both trips Bart! You see, there is something very valuable inside all of us…………………………Plasma!;)

pbkid
05/25/2009, 04:59 PM
You see, there is something very valuable inside all of us…………………………Plasma!;)

thats exactly how i paid my last 8 months of my VX payment...$90 a week for donating....

Ldub
05/26/2009, 11:12 AM
aw man dub...i was up til 4 last night.

but i dont have internet at my new casa yet so i couldnt come online and visit with you :(

You'll get it together...:thumbup: It just takes time.

There are VERY few things I hate worse than moving...:sighwgray

That's why I've been in the same crumbly abode (literally) for thirteen years.

On another topic (there is no such thing as a thread jack in larryland...:smilewink) I'm sitting at my home desk, marveling at the clarity of my new 18.5" (as large as space allow) Samsung syncmaster 933 flatpanel computer monitor...:thumbup:

SWEET...no more "flintstone monitor"...:cool:

Thanks for the advice on the install Boss...:yes:

nfpgasmask
05/26/2009, 11:27 AM
SWEET...no more "flintstone monitor"...:cool:

Yes, switching to LCDs was a monumental upgrade for me as well. They are better for your eyes, give off less heat and EMP, consume less power, take up less space, cats can't sit on them, the list goes on.

:thumbup: Bart

Ldub
05/26/2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, switching to LCDs was a monumental upgrade for me as well. They are better for your eyes, give off less heat and EMP, consume less power, take up less space, cats can't sit on them, the list goes on.

:thumbup: Bart

Well...It wasn't THAT Flintstonian...:smilewink

My old monitor was an LCD flatpanel, unfortunately, it was only about 15"...:sighwgray

It was also nearly five years old & had a few bum pixels.

Also, I've been spoiled by the bank of 4 larger monitors I look at at work.

Hey, I can rationalize a purchace with the best of em'...:smilewink

Triathlete
05/26/2009, 09:30 PM
Also, I've been spoiled by the bank of 4 larger monitors I look at, at work.

So, "the job" hasn't noticed YOUR new monitor missing?:bwgy:

VX KAT
05/26/2009, 10:40 PM
EWWWW, wow, Ldub goes from all "mechanicky" to all "high-techy"....he's had an LCD flat panel monitor for 5 yrs!! ;eekp;;eekp;

Ldub
05/26/2009, 10:50 PM
So, "the job" hasn't noticed YOUR new monitor missing?:bwgy:

No way, mine is Farrrrr more cooler than the work ones...:naughty:

EWWWW, wow, Ldub goes from all "mechanicky" to all "high-techy"....he's had an LCD flat panel monitor for 5 yrs!! ;eekp;;eekp;

Oh whoops...:mbrasd: I pulled back the curtain, & exposed my "geek" side...:rolleyesg

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!...:smilewink

VX KAT
05/26/2009, 10:54 PM
I pulled back the curtain, & exposed my "geek" side...:rolleyesg

You exposed your WHAT????? :freek:

Ldub
05/26/2009, 10:59 PM
You exposed your WHAT????? :freek:

I don't care what anybody says...you're one funny girl...:yes:

VX KAT
05/26/2009, 11:47 PM
While browsing galleries for pics of tires...came upon this interesting ditty....
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/313harn-R4-044-20A.jpg
I'd heard about it here and there in Moab (after I finally understood the "tub" references in the posts)...but man, seeing it in the pic was crazy! Hubby walked in and saw it on my screen just now...and said..."oh, that must be the ldub rub". Did I mention he thinks he's a comedian and very "punny"? Although he does come up with some really good one liners, got to admit. Living with him alternates between torture and hilarity when he gets on a role!

Better not show this pic to Dougie.....oh, that's right, I already scared him off, oops, my bad....

Ldub
05/27/2009, 12:57 AM
While browsing galleries for pics of tires...came upon this interesting ditty....
I'd heard about it here and there in Moab (after I finally understood the "tub" references in the posts)...but man, seeing it in the pic was crazy! Hubby walked in and saw it on my screen just now...and said..."oh, that must be the ldub rub". Did I mention he thinks he's a comedian and very "punny"? Although he does come up with some really good one liners, got to admit. Living with him alternates between torture and hilarity when he gets on a role!

Better not show this pic to Dougie.....oh, that's right, I already scared him off, oops, my bad....

Yeah, that was an experience...:mbrasd: I stayed the heck outta that thing this year & watched the other kids play...:yes:

I like Dave, we have a lot in common...I ALSO think I'm halarious...especially if you add alcohol...:rolleyesg

Triathlete
05/27/2009, 09:29 AM

And hence this years re-enactment by Randii...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1636.JPG
:bwgy::bwgr::bgwp::bgwo:

Ldub
07/28/2009, 03:14 AM
Here's a random thought for ya...

Looking at the galleries of todays birthday celebrants, I realized that niether of them has even one "full view" pics of their VX in their gallery...:_thinking

One has a few detail shots, & the other...nada.

Must be something about a 07-28 birthday that makes you modest about posting pics of your pride & joy...:laughing:

In any event...:bday: 2 U 2

tom4bren
07/28/2009, 05:35 AM
& neither has signed on in 6 months. It blows my mind that you can be a member here & not check in everyday.