PDA

View Full Version : Any known factors affecting oil consumption?

VX KAT
05/20/2009, 02:28 PM
Had VX for 5 months, started at 63,500 miles, converted to synthetic right away, driven about 2,200 miles. Used 1/4 qt of oil in all that time.

Drove to Moab 485 miles, + wheeled for about 25 miles, after this 4 day period - was down over 1/2 qt.

Drove home 435 miles, zero oil consumption. I'm puzzled. :?:
Are there different conditions that can cause more oil consumption?? Temperature? wheeling? Using 4 Low? Speed? I've got to search back on some posts as I seem to recall cleaning some sensor (s) may have an affect, not sure??

nfpgasmask
05/20/2009, 02:57 PM
Had VX for 5 months, started at 63,500 miles, converted to synthetic right away, driven about 2,200 miles. Used 1/4 qt of oil in all that time.

Drove to Moab 485 miles, + wheeled for about 25 miles, after this 4 day period - was down over 1/2 qt.

Drove home 435 miles, zero oil consumption. I'm puzzled. :?:
Are there different conditions that can cause more oil consumption?? Temperature? wheeling? Using 4 Low? Speed? I've got to search back on some posts as I seem to recall cleaning some sensor (s) may have an affect, not sure??

My VX has been this way since I switched to synthetic as well...

Do a search for "oil consumption" and you will see you are among the majority here. It sucks. 100%.

Bart

VX KAT
05/20/2009, 03:04 PM
I've read a ton of the posts on the subject, and know I'm in good company, but I didn't really recall seeing anybody mention specific factors that may influence it. Since mine was so much in such a few number of miles, (at least I thought so ;oop;) I was just really curious if there was some correlation to heat or wheelin'. I guess today is my "just curious day".

nfpgasmask
05/20/2009, 03:12 PM
I've read a ton of the posts on the subject, and know I'm in good company, but I didn't really recall seeing anybody mention specific factors that may influence it. Since mine was so much in such a few number of miles, (at least I thought so ;oop;) I was just really curious if there was some correlation to heat or wheelin'. I guess today is my "just curious day".

OK, I see what you mean. From my experience, offroad in low range 4x4 does not burn much oil. Highway driving at 70+ mph through the mountains (lots of steep, hard, fast uphill driving) burns oil like there is no tomorrow. :)

I generally burn at least 1.5-2 quarts between 3000 miles changes. :_brickwal

I've been on Mobile-1 synth since the first week of ownership.

Bart

Knigh7s
05/20/2009, 03:21 PM
I'm one of many with this problem as well. Switched to Synth (royal purple) since I got her. I lose about 1/2 to 1qt+/- oil every 2500+/- miles.

I do remember a discussion about the Piston Rings being a culprit to our oil problem. Some that have done an engine rebuild noticed that there is a difference with the rings p/n compared to the originals, I guess "revised" would be a better term. After which, they have not had any oil problems.

In my case, I have not gone down that route (rebuild) <knock on wood>, but when I start her up there is a strong smell of burning oil (up until she reaches operating temp.), but no smoke or leaks can be found...

Y33TREKker
05/20/2009, 04:38 PM
...In my case, I have not gone down that route (rebuild) <knock on wood>, but when I start her up there is a strong smell of burning oil (up until she reaches operating temp.), but no smoke or leaks can be found...
I seem to remember one member here (maybe AlaskaVX?) saying that he and his mechanic found a small leak from the back of one of his valve cover gaskets that was his oil loss culprit. Hardly noticeable even when they knew it was there, but something like that may account for the burning smell you notice at start-up...ie; oil leaks past the valve cover gasket after shutdown, then onto the exhaust manifold, and as the exhaust mainfold heats up at start-up, the oil that has leaked onto it is burned off. But since the burning oil smell is just carried off with the airflow over the engine during driving conditions, even though there still may be oil leaking onto your exhaust manifold, you wouldn't be able to smell it as easily.

Not saying that's it, but the symptoms seem to fit anyway.

rowhard
05/20/2009, 04:49 PM
I know I also use oil, but damn if I can figure out why, or what induces it. I do notice, sometimes on start-up I get a puff of blue smoke, but not always. I just except that it uses it and I just keep a eye on it.

psychos2
05/20/2009, 05:45 PM
PCV valve was one of my issues. i have discussed in previous posts. shawn

Knigh7s
05/20/2009, 06:12 PM
I seem to remember one member here (maybe AlaskaVX?) saying that he and his mechanic found a small leak from the back of one of his valve cover gaskets that was his oil loss culprit. Hardly noticeable even when they knew it was there, but something like that may account for the burning smell you notice at start-up...ie; oil leaks past the valve cover gasket after shutdown, then onto the exhaust manifold, and as the exhaust mainfold heats up at start-up, the oil that has leaked onto it is burned off. But since the burning oil smell is just carried off with the airflow over the engine during driving conditions, even though there still may be oil leaking onto your exhaust manifold, you wouldn't be able to smell it as easily.

Not saying that's it, but the symptoms seem to fit anyway.

Thanks for that info, I'm for sure checking that out this weekend.

PCV valve was one of my issues. i have discussed in previous posts. shawn

I've done the PCV change religiously, but seem to have the problem still. I have noticed that I had oil blowby from the grommet (about 1 week after installing a new one), but very very little. I think it is because the PCV I'm using is to thin at the bottom. I will be buying a new grommet soon and see if that helps that situation any...

tomdietrying
05/20/2009, 06:53 PM
Hmmm, before this Moab trip I switched to Firestone's more expensive synthetic oil. I did notice I would use about a half quart of oil every 1,000 miles on this trip. I seemed to burn more driving 80+ mph on the highway to and from Moab.
Peace.
Tom

Gussie2000
05/20/2009, 07:10 PM
I recall reading this articule about isuzu's 3.5L engine oil burns was related to the cylinder's size,they say isuzu engineers looking into reducing the 3.5L engine's weight they mistakenly designed the cylinders lenght size too short to handle the engine displacement & along with wrong cylinder rings specs.

I'm not sure how much this can be true,but to me it makes sense somehow :cool:

johnnyapollo
05/20/2009, 07:38 PM
I've calculated that I lose about 1/4 qt every 1k miles. My VX has done this since I bought her new and it's been very consistent. I've been told it's typical with this particular motor and I believe it.

-- John

VX KAT
05/20/2009, 08:48 PM
Like you Tom I kind of thought it must be due to the long stretch of high speed driving, so I fully expected it to do the same thing on the way home...but nada, not a drop appeared to be missing. Then I thought maybe due to some changes in elevation but, the 4,000 - 6,000 feet were almost identical to my daily/home location. I think it must be something with the high speed driving, but the real mystery is why the heck it didn't happen on the way home?? :wtfb:.....

oh well, who knows, just another one of the wonderful :_huh: mysteries of the VX! :grinp: