PDA

View Full Version : Need some photo help from you computer peeps

Triathlete
05/18/2009, 04:59 PM
So here is the problem the best I can explain it...
I downloaded my 230 pics from my cameras card to my coputer using Windows Picture. The pics were there and viewable. From there I cut the file and pasted it to the photo folder (same one I used for all my photos from Moab). Now when I open the file the pics are just "windows" blue squares...no pics. The pics show for a quick second when the file first opens before turning blue. When I click on the pic the Windows viewer says file format not supported...its a JPEG and should work fine. I deleted the pics from my card also!:( I checked the recycle bin to see if they are in there but of course they are not. I attempted to put the files back on the card but that did not work either. Anyone know how I can retrieve these pics?:confused: Thanks in advance for the help!

Moncha
05/18/2009, 05:03 PM
Did you actually put files on the card from the camera? You can try using BadCopy Pro (http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/) to recover the files from the card. If you are not sure as what to do. Take the card out, DO NOT USE IT!, and you can send it to me and I'll recover what I can.

JAMAS
05/18/2009, 05:09 PM
Make sure the pictures end with a ".JPG" extension. Sometimes windows pukes when it sees ".jpeg", or no extension at all. You can e-mail me one of the files, and I can take a look at it. I deal with images for a living, so I may be able to help.

kodiak
05/18/2009, 05:18 PM
Do any of your other pix work? Can you do a “Print Screen” of what the files look like and post it? It might be a simple file association problem. Also you can try burning the files to CD or put them on a mem stick and open them on a different system.

Knigh7s
05/18/2009, 06:25 PM
shoot me one of your pictures and I can take a look...

Word of advise, never "cut" when xfering to another folder. Always "copy" and pastes, I would then scroll through ALL the images through the image viewer before deleting any master copy from a card or even another folder... I've lost too many photos using cut and paste over copy and paste...

Triathlete
05/18/2009, 07:21 PM
Well apparently my computer is smarter than me. I shut it down, went away for a few hours and when I turned it back on presto everything worked. I was all prepared to try all of your advices. Thanks for all the suggestions...I will remember them if I have any further future issues.:thanx:

nfpgasmask
05/19/2009, 09:31 AM
Billy, let this be a reminder to backup your data to a CDr/DVDr or to another hard drive. I have lost data on more than one occasion and it sucks. I now backup all my photos regularly to external hard drives. Its a good habit to get into and will save you some serious sorrow when the inevitable happens.

Bart

Triathlete
05/19/2009, 09:43 AM
I put them all on DVD...just hadn't got to it yet!:cool:

JAMAS
05/19/2009, 09:46 AM
Billy, let this be a reminder to backup your data to a CDr/DVDr or to another hard drive. I have lost data on more than one occasion and it sucks. I now backup all my photos regularly to external hard drives. Its a good habit to get into and will save you some serious sorrow when the inevitable happens.

Bart

I have a Raid5 array to prevent losing data in the event of a single hard drive failure. I also back everything up offsite using MozyHome (http://mozy.com/). $4.95 a month for unlimited space, auto backups. The problem with an external is that if your computer is stolen or lost in a fire, so is all of your backed up data.

kodiak
05/19/2009, 10:49 AM
Always keep your data in two different places. DVDr backups are the best. The bad thing about large external hard drive is people mistake them for long term storage. They’re not, about 20% of the time they crash within a year and that’s about the average time it takes to fill one.:eek: Raid 5 is safe’ but Raid 10 is awesome!;)

P.S. Yeah, offsite backups is the future.

nfpgasmask
05/19/2009, 10:57 AM
Yup, DVDr is really the best option for cheap longevity. I actually back up all my photos to DVDr, an external hard drive, and another computer. So I have triple redundancy at the moment. :)

I can't wait for Blu-Ray writable media to come down in price. Talk about massive storage!

Bart

kodiak
05/19/2009, 11:02 AM
That’s a big X2!:yes:

I can't wait for Blu-Ray writable media to come down in price. Talk about massive storage!

Bart