PDA

View Full Version : Torsion Bar

SomeBeach
05/17/2009, 06:13 AM
I have been told that the torsion bar can be adjusted to raise the front ent one inch. Since the VX appears to sit up in the back I'd like to do this. My mechanic said this will mess up the alignment causing tires to wear. Has anyone done this and did you have any problems.

rowhard
05/17/2009, 06:18 AM
I have been told that the torsion bar can be adjusted to raise the front ent one inch. Since the VX appears to sit up in the back I'd like to do this. My mechanic said this will mess up the alignment causing tires to wear. Has anyone done this and did you have any problems.

most of us have had to do it with suspension mod,s, different size tires, what have you. Yes, it will change your alignment, thats why alignment's are adjustable. Maybe think about getting a different mechanic while your at it.

SomeBeach
05/17/2009, 06:29 AM
most of us have had to do it with suspension mod,s, different size tires, what have you. Yes, it will change your alignment, thats why alignment's are adjustable. Maybe think about getting a different mechanic while your at it.

I guess my mechanic has never seen a VX before. I want to raise it a bit and have considered a lift kit but really don't want to spend the money. I have some 15X8.5 aluminum rims that I like. I don't really like the stock 18" wheels. TOO CHROMEY!!!

rowhard
05/17/2009, 06:45 AM
I guess my mechanic has never seen a VX before. I want to raise it a bit and have considered a lift kit but really don't want to spend the money. I have some 15X8.5 aluminum rims that I like. I don't really like the stock 18" wheels. TOO CHROMEY!!!

Well, if he ever worked on a old VW, he would know about torsion bars. Anyway, you can do it yourself, just follow the bar back and you will see the adjuster. Wire brush all the crud off, give it a good soaking with liquid wrench, or blaster, or your perfered lub, (wd40 will evaporate) the day before, measure the gap you have between front tire and cladding, both sides, mark the adjuster bolt to keep count and go for it, then take it in for an alignment

SomeBeach
05/17/2009, 07:55 AM
Well, if he ever worked on a old VW, he would know about torsion bars. Anyway, you can do it yourself, just follow the bar back and you will see the adjuster. Wire brush all the crud off, give it a good soaking with liquid wrench, or blaster, or your perfered lub, (wd40 will evaporate) the day before, measure the gap you have between front tire and cladding, both sides, mark the adjuster bolt to keep count and go for it, then take it in for an alignment

I'm not much of a mechanic. I don't think I'd feel comfortable adjusting the torsion bar.

rowhard
05/17/2009, 09:27 AM
I'm not much of a mechanic. I don't think I'd feel comfortable adjusting the torsion bar.

then take it to a alignment shop, tell them what you want and have then do it and your alignment too

djvx
05/17/2009, 08:31 PM
dougie.do you have a rachet and a 27mm socket and a can of wd 40, a jack and a tape measure? Thats all you need. Use the search feature as this subject has been covered many times, and there are pics too.

SomeBeach
05/18/2009, 06:59 AM
dougie.do you have a rachet and a 27mm socket and a can of wd 40, a jack and a tape measure? Thats all you need. Use the search feature as this subject has been covered many times, and there are pics too.

I have everything I need to do this. Maybe I'll give it a try next warm dry day. I'm new to this site and have so many questions. I really appreciate all the help.

LittleBeast
05/18/2009, 07:33 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13470&highlight=lift+wiki

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10525&highlight=longer+bilstein+shocks