PDA

View Full Version : warranty direct claim problems--anyone else

blujfan9293
05/12/2009, 09:32 AM
third owner of a Warranty Direct comprehensive warranty, which was supposed to cover my total engine failure, except they are claiming I am supposed to have all service receipts for the 30k and two owners before me, although I put over 1k in a service 30 days before failure. Getting told I need ALL the receipts, and "too bad too sad." Anyone have any dealing with Warranty Direct or arbitration (which is permitted in their rules)?

tom4bren
05/12/2009, 09:48 AM
Norm,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this.

I don't have any experience with them directly, just in extended waranties in general.

Once when a high pressure tube on an automatic tranny couldn't be replaced under waranty because it was a 'hose' which isn't covered.

Once when excessive play in steering couldn't be covered under waranty since it was a manufacture defect & this was an aftermarket plan.

Once they tried 3 times to get rid of a fuel smell inside a vehicle. They finally determined that the problem couldn't be fixed so they didn't have to try any more.

Good luck with your arbitration.

Tom

vt_maverick
05/12/2009, 10:13 AM
+1 on Tom's thoughts. My entire family works in some portion of the auto industry (service writing, mechanic, auto parts store, etc.) and they all agree that aftermarket warranties are worthless. My Dad is a service writer at a shop and it's his job to contact these aftermarket warranty outfits to request payment prior to charging the customer. He echoes exactly what's been said here so far: that if you don't save every receipt, or don't perform the maintenance at exactly the schedule they want, or in some cases don't use the required performance additives (fuel injectors and other additives), they'll deny your claim.

IMHO, they're a total scam. You pay thousands of dollars for a warranty whose company is absolutely committed to doing everything it can to deny your payment, including fighting you tooth and nail in an arbitration. Not worth it.

WormGod
05/13/2009, 07:30 AM
Ya, you would spend more in legal arbitration than it would cost to just replace the engine. Flip them off, turn your back, and do your own thing. I always considered private warranty firms to be a scam run by 4 hairy guys in the backroom of a pool hall playing poker.

http://www.thehendonmob.com/media/Image/the_mob/the_hendon_mob.jpg

nfpgasmask
05/13/2009, 08:48 AM
You know, I feel for you. When I bought my VX, I paid for the extended warranty, something like an additional $4000 on my loan. I went home, whipped out the magnifying glass and read ALLLLLLL the fine print. The next day I called the dealer back and told them to cancel my warranty (I had 30 days to review it). Basically, I think most of these warranty deals are a scam. Like you are finding out, if even one little thing doesn't meet their 'requirements', you are S.O.L. Sorry to hear this.

Bart

Gussie2000
05/13/2009, 08:58 AM
Those called warranty company are one of the best scams you can ever finf out there.
I had to pay for a two year "coverage" by guardian warrany (stay away from this one)in order to get the VX.
The dealer actually force me to pay for that crap $ 1500 but after researching about this kind of warranty i find out the dealer was charging me over $ 600 which i got off the the full price.
I had to file a claim with the DMV & consumer report agency,the DMV threat the dealer to suspend its license if reimburse was not complete at the time of delivery.
When my VX was at the shop because of the valve tapping I requested a warranty inspector as recommended by the mech & those suckers deny the request saying that they don't send any if no damage were found by the shop.
Once you file a claim the warranty will call you back saying that the car must be diagnosticated at the shop at your expense,thereafter they'll determine,at their sole discretion if the damage is covered by the policy you pay for,even though the damage is coveraded by the policy they'll deny any payment for A or B reason they find to avoid the payment.
Another nasty habit these so called warranty companies does is to only cover for labor up to 80% the rest of the balance must be paid by you beside the choosen deductible.
I did a research about these business & came across with disturbing findings which I'll try to share with you guys later

blujfan9293
05/13/2009, 09:37 AM
arbitration is free, but we'll see as I begin the process. The repair is done (I certainly couldn't wait for this to play out).

I submitted a request to get my denial in writing and to specify where in the policy that is justfied (current reason is the ambiguous "you need more receipts") and they should not offer/accept transfers without informing the new owner of the requirements for maintaining a valid policy. One year later is a little late to track down the old owner for even older maintenance receipts. I have a better case as the third owner of the policy than the original owner. let you know how it goes.

Mark B
05/13/2009, 11:30 AM
Good luck on your claim.
It will be interesting how it turns out.

Gussie2000
05/13/2009, 05:42 PM
Update :

Here's a clue of what kind of scam those "auto warranty" companies are & why you should stay away from them at all cost.

www.BBB.com

There's a lot of info regarding this issue across the US & canada.

It's important to highlight the fact that many auto warranty companies holds a called RRG (risk retention group) rate which means that the auto warranty company also insure its self which is according to many state general attorney a bad choice because many of those companies aren't financially solvent to cover all claims at once as such as auto insurance companies

If you shopping for auto warranty focus on those whom are insured by big leading insurance companies in the US that provides insurance coverage to these auto warranty companies.