PDA

View Full Version : Hello Again

Leah
05/10/2009, 11:46 AM
I haven't been on the site in a while and just wanted to say hello to all my old friends and hello to the new ones. My VX is in pitiful shape - long story - and needs a lot of work. I hardly even know where to start. That's why I came back. No one in the world knows more about this unique vehicle than the people here...not even Isuzu.

Leah

handeeman
05/10/2009, 11:56 AM
Leah, welcome back...I'm pretty new here myself and by no means very up on how to repair or fix one. But you're right this is the place to be if you own one.

pbkid
05/10/2009, 12:02 PM
leah, welcome back.. :_beer:

what do you have going on??

there have been a lot of major write ups lately that may help you out.

deermagnet
05/10/2009, 03:44 PM
Hi, Leah. I remember you from back in the day, Club VMag even, old school. I seem to recall you were in Florida back then. Indiana's a long way from Florida. :coolb:

Thanks for staying loyal and keeping your VX all that time.:)

How close are you to being a ten year owner? We only have one known member at ten years right now.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

Leah
05/14/2009, 11:20 PM
Hi Friends! Thanks for noticing me. I didn't realize anyone had commented on my thread until I finally got around to going through my email. ARGH!
Deermagnet, I can't believe you remember me. I'm touched and honored. Yes, I was part of the VX community way back when it was still on Edmunds.com.

I'll try to keep the long story short:
Husband grew more abusive and cruel over time.
I grew more tired and scared. Moved out. Moved to Indiana to be near my grown kids. Husband decided, after a year, that he was happier without me around and filed for divorce. I got the VX back from him as part of the divorce settlement. He doesn't know the first thing about taking care of cars as he lacks the interest that I have. The VX sat for a long time, nearly that entire year, without moving, in the sun. The cladding is faded, the engine was invaded by mice, the weather stripping is dry-rotting, it has rust spots all over it...need I say more?

I took it to Raben Tire in Owensboro, KY and had them do a tuneup, a fuel system flush a cooling system flush, a lube - including heavy grease to the U-joints - and was more than satisfied with the results. The check-engine light had been on and the codes were related to the O2 sensor and something else that I can't recall right now. Anyway,the fuel system flush took care of that.

Unfortunately, after driving it for half an hour, the check-engine light came back on and the new code indicated the O2 sensor again but there was nothing wrong with the sensor. The mechanic suggested it could be the PCM, what with all the rodent damage to the wiring.

At any rate, the old girl and I are plugging along, happy to be together again. And now that she is all mine, she is going to be treated like the queen she is. :) (As long as I can support her...silly girl.)

Oh! And I have had her since September 2001. Flew to Texas to buy her just two weeks after 9/11. The plane had three passengers! THREE!

VehiGAZ
05/15/2009, 07:11 AM
Welcome back Leah!

I'm glad you trials and travels have brought you to a better place for yourself.

We have found an awesome product for cladding - it's called Refinish Restorer. You have to order it (search and you will find the source) but it's like a permanent treatment, not a dressing. It's almost like a clear-coat for plastic - will make the cladding, hood insert and mirrors look like new again (and stay that way!).

Hope to see you around the forums...

Leah
05/15/2009, 09:03 AM
Whoo-hoo!!! That's great news!

nfpgasmask
05/15/2009, 09:40 AM
Yes, Leah, welcome back.

I think with a little time spent on this forum, your VX will be back in tip top shape. :D

Bart

Leah
05/15/2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks to this site, I went out and purchased an OBD2 today from Walmart. It cost me a hundred bucks, but that is equivalent to just three trips to the garage to have the check-engine light checked. On top of that, I found something called PlastX for cleaning the plastic headlights which had gotten foggy and oxidized. Now, I'm going in search of Refinish Restorer to deal with the cladding.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I feel like I've just walked in the door at a party and everybody knows my name...(Norm!).

Leah

Gussie2000
05/15/2009, 06:35 PM
Hi Friends! Thanks for noticing me. I didn't realize anyone had commented on my thread until I finally got around to going through my email. ARGH!
Deermagnet, I can't believe you remember me. I'm touched and honored. Yes, I was part of the VX community way back when it was still on Edmunds.com.

I'll try to keep the long story short:
Husband grew more abusive and cruel over time.
I grew more tired and scared. Moved out. Moved to Indiana to be near my grown kids. Husband decided, after a year, that he was happier without me around and filed for divorce. I got the VX back from him as part of the divorce settlement. He doesn't know the first thing about taking care of cars as he lacks the interest that I have. The VX sat for a long time, nearly that entire year, without moving, in the sun. The cladding is faded, the engine was invaded by mice, the weather stripping is dry-rotting, it has rust spots all over it...need I say more?

I took it to Raben Tire in Owensboro, KY and had them do a tuneup, a fuel system flush a cooling system flush, a lube - including heavy grease to the U-joints - and was more than satisfied with the results. The check-engine light had been on and the codes were related to the O2 sensor and something else that I can't recall right now. Anyway,the fuel system flush took care of that.

Unfortunately, after driving it for half an hour, the check-engine light came back on and the new code indicated the O2 sensor again but there was nothing wrong with the sensor. The mechanic suggested it could be the PCM, what with all the rodent damage to the wiring.

At any rate, the old girl and I are plugging along, happy to be together again. And now that she is all mine, she is going to be treated like the queen she is. :) (As long as I can support her...silly girl.)

Oh! And I have had her since September 2001. Flew to Texas to buy her just two weeks after 9/11. The plane had three passengers! THREE!

Hi leah,good to know the VX ended up with the person who deserve to own it.

Having the Vx sitting around for that long do cause its issues,i am a newbie in the forum but very active though 978 posts so far in just 15 months.

My VX was storade for 5 years...yes 5 years till i saw it on craigslist.org offered on by a dealership,the rest is history.As i always say,once a VXer you always wil be ;)

Leah
05/15/2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks, Gussie. It feels great to get a pat on the back. It's been a long time since my last one. :)