PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake City Convoy

rowhard
05/03/2009, 09:36 AM
So, (hope Ldub isn't looking) that I don't have to go thru 32 pages of threads, who will be in the SLC area Sun/Mon? Just thinking of convoying, but am hoping to make the wheeling 101 class at noon, wish it was later:bgwg:

kodiak
05/04/2009, 01:04 AM
Me and Chris aka (Marlin) will be heading down around noon on Monday. I’m working on moving my schedule around so I can leave Monday morning, I’ll know more tomorrow. Chris is staying overnight in Salt Lake that Sunday night so I think we can both leave in the morning if I can get my schedule freed up. :confused:

So, (hope Ldub isn't looking) that I don't have to go thru 32 pages of threads, who will be in the SLC area Sun/Mon? Just thinking of convoying, but am hoping to make the wheeling 101 class at noon, wish it was later:bgwg:

kodiak
05/04/2009, 01:34 PM
All right!!! I’m free to leave Monday morning whenever you’re ready Chris.;)

Marlin
05/04/2009, 01:59 PM
All right!!! I’m free to leave Monday morning whenever you’re ready Chris.;)

It depends what time we get in to Salt Lake the night before, I would like one last night of sleeping in airconditioning before I sleep in a tent for a week after driving 40 hours or so...I will let you know on the 10th for planning purposes...see you guys in a few days.

Rowhard, Riffraff shot me an email, he warned me about you....lol.

BigSwede
05/04/2009, 02:07 PM
I would like one last night of sleeping in airconditioning before I sleep in a tent for a week after driving 40 hours or so...
FWIW Moab cools off pretty well after the sun goes down. You won't be hot in your tent. You might even be cold.

rowhard
05/04/2009, 06:56 PM
Rowhard, Riffraff shot me an email, he warned me about you....lol.

My buddy Brian

Anyway, we are staying at the Comfort Inn in Sandy Sunday night. The address is: 8955 Harrison St. The Phone number is: 801-255-4919.

I know you are pro's at this so probable don't need to attend the, but I am hoping to be in Moab by noon so I can sit in on Todd's 4x4 101 class. Do you plan on getting there that early??

Marlin
05/05/2009, 03:51 AM
Brian is definitely good people, even if he was a lazy officer...
As far as getting there by noon, how far is it from Salt Lake to Moab. Somewhere around 4 hours? It all depends on how late I get in on the 10th. I wouldn't mind going either, but we shall see.

As far as being a pro, hardly, my first rock crawling was 2 weeks ago, and although I did everything the big boys did, and sometimes with much more finesse, it was mostly due to the VX, not me. Just remember, skinny pedal on the right makes you go forward, the one on the left slows you down...after that, its just point and shoot, oh, and listen to your spotter...:)

kodiak
05/05/2009, 09:58 AM
I’ve done a lot of off roading in my old Bronco, but not in my VX. The last VX run was the first and last time I ever took it off road. With those aired down Toyos it crawled like a gecko.:p

rowhard
05/05/2009, 06:20 PM
Well Marlin, Map Quest says 3hrs. 50 minutes, but I have a 1 hour bladder so make it 4:15, Hey, I'm old.

For sure I need to attend Todd's 4x4 class. I did the sand trap last month with the Baxman out of Seattle and made a mess of it, but what a blast, so want all the learning I can get. last time before the sand trap was like, 1963, riding shotgun in a 48 willies, for young'in's that is the jeep that was in WWII! And if nothing else, would like to buy a belated birthday drink for Kodiak. Enough of this cyber :_beer: birthday toast crap. We should be in salt town about 1'ish, please do give the motel a call, both of ya. Love to met up, have a drink, make some plans. PM if you want cell phone number

Marlin
05/05/2009, 06:46 PM
Get with kodiak for cell, I have his as well. He lives there. I can make 75mph with the setup I have, the trailer has HD Chevy axles and the Expy has huge 4wheel disc brakes,hence the 9300lb tow capacity. With the 6 speed tranny, that puts me at 75mph at 2300 RPMS or so, we can haul ***.....literally. But pee breaks for old people are authorized.

kodiak
05/05/2009, 11:36 PM
If we maintain 75mph we should be fine. I was planning on 3 stops.

Stop 1 Spanish Fork, this is just before we head up in to the canyon.
Stop 2 Price, halfway mark to Moab.
Stop 3 Green River, good place to gas up and get last minute provisions before Moab.

I’m looking forward to that drink rowhard.:p

Cell PM sent.

kodiak
05/06/2009, 02:41 PM
Hahaha!! Hay I’m being optimistic! At least you didn’t tell them that they’re going to be traveling through one of the deadliest roads in the country. Yep, the stretch between Spanish Fork and Price will be the toughest part, but they’ve widened most of the canyon so there’re not as many bottlenecks. And the 5.4 v8 of Chris’s will eat Soldier Summit for breakfast!:cool:

That's weird. Why do you stop in Green River? By the time I get to I-70, Moab is the only thing that exists outside my vehicle! The speed limit on 6 is between 55 and 65 and there aren't many places for 3 vehicles to pass semis through the canyon. The trailer WILL slow you down because Soldier Summit is pretty steep... and, come on, he is in a Ford! :rolleyes: Rowhard, my dad is 63 and I laugh because when he gets the urge, he is out the door and on the side of the road no matter what... then I cringe because he dips his hands in our snacks. ;puke2;

rowhard
05/06/2009, 03:08 PM
so is this the only way to go?

kodiak
05/06/2009, 03:20 PM
No there’s another, but it adds 3hrs to the trip. It’s not that bad you’ll be fine. We will be traveling during the day and it’s not winter so it will be I nice picturesque drive through the canyon. ;)

kodiak
05/06/2009, 04:37 PM
This is why it’s so dangerous during the winter.

http://www.sunad.com/index.php?tier=1&article_id=8346

kodiak
05/06/2009, 04:54 PM
http://www.greatdreams.com/TRUCK-3.jpg

Red Leifson (L) a firefighter from Spanish Fork, Utah stands at the edge of a 30 foot plus deep crater on U.S. Highway 6
at mile marker 191 in Spanish Fork Canyon as a Utah Department of Transportation worker walks in the bottom after a truck
reportedly carrying blasting caps and cord overturned and exploded Wednesday August 10, 2005. The explosion took out both
lanes of the highway which will be closed indefinitely to both west and east bound traffic.

;)

pbkid
05/06/2009, 06:27 PM
HOLY @#*(@!!!!

why are trucks with explosives driving crazy enough to have a turnover like that???

pbkid
05/06/2009, 06:28 PM
And the 5.4 v8 of Chris’s will eat Soldier Summit for breakfast!:cool:

uh....ya.....5.4 V8 is gonna eat the VX's for breakfast lol

Marlin
05/07/2009, 08:42 AM
No worries on leaving at 7am or so on Monday. I was a day off on my schedule, I should be in salt lake late sat/early sun. So we are good. See ya in a few days, I hit the road in about 20 minutes.

As far as the V8, it will destroy the VX, I made San Diego to here vvia I70, pulled through Colorado, never slowed down, the 5.4L and 6speed tranny are very nice. Set the cruise and forget about it...

kodiak
05/07/2009, 09:46 AM
Very cool! We’ll see you Monday morning Chris.

No worries on leaving at 7am or so on Monday. I was a day off on my schedule, I should be in salt lake late sat/early sun. So we are good. See ya in a few days, I hit the road in about 20 minutes. .

I have no idea what you’re talking about Justin.:rolleyes:..... Dam speed limiter!;)

I didn't mean to strike fear in the hearts of anyone - after the road widens up is where I got my VX up to 110/120 before. I am sure I am not the only one, eh Richard?

kodiak
05/10/2009, 10:26 AM
Chris has made it to Utah.:cool:

pbkid
05/10/2009, 12:04 PM
Chris has made it to Utah.:cool:

good! now make sure everyone gets to moab okay!!

pbkid
05/10/2009, 12:05 PM
I have no idea what you’re talking about Justin.:rolleyes:..... Dam speed limiter!;)

how can you guys feel safe in a VX past 90 or so?? even with the stock tires it didnt feel safe enough for those speeds...the braking and weight distribution isnt right for that type of stuff

kodiak
05/10/2009, 01:08 PM
With my y rated toyos it felt just fine, It’s all about the tires;)

how can you guys feel safe in a VX past 90 or so?? even with the stock tires it didnt feel safe enough for those speeds...the braking and weight distribution isnt right for that type of stuff

rowhard
05/10/2009, 02:16 PM
rowhard has landed in Salt Lake City, well, actually Sandy with Sandy. There is a place called club 90 (old name I guess) that is just around the corner if anyone wants to collect their birthday drink. Better to call me cell then expect me to see it here.
:_beer::_beer:

kodiak
05/10/2009, 05:10 PM
Club 90 awesome! what time are you heading over.

rowhard has landed in Salt Lake City, well, actually Sandy with Sandy. There is a place called club 90 (old name I guess) that is just around the corner if anyone wants to collect their birthday drink. Better to call me cell then expect me to see it here.
:_beer::_beer:

Marlin
05/10/2009, 08:08 PM
See ya'll in the morning, I am all packed up, 4 new tires on the trailer, knock on wood, and we moved everything from the VX to the Expy to reduce weight on the trailer as well.

kodiak
05/10/2009, 08:24 PM
See you in the morning!!!:dance:

nfpgasmask
05/11/2009, 09:25 AM
I hate you all. :(

Bart