PDA

View Full Version : Virgin VX owners don't look, explicit photos and details inside...

Marlin
04/26/2009, 02:34 PM
I ust got back from the Isuzu Spring Uwharrie meet!!!! It was awesome. I cannot believe how many badass Isuzus there are. I will be adding some videos and pics, so bear with me, I am using two laptops at the same time to do photos and videos at the same time.
My VX performed far better than any expected. I hit every line that the big boys did, and with finesse I might add...
I learned some lessons, for those who actually wheel their VXes, feel free to add to this, but I think the first mod you should get is sliders followed by new tires, and then CO2, or onboard air. You cannot do any rock crawling without the previous mentioned items. The few without sliders ended up with heavily damaged rocker panels. The sliders saved my *** many times. They work as a great pivot point, and just so everyone knows, so does the door cladding, no permanent marks in the plastic, but used it to wrap around trees a few times.
I am now adding lockers, but that will be another thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hrZOFw8Gik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjn77zqfHvI

Riff Raff
04/26/2009, 03:03 PM
I am now adding lockers, but that will be another thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hrZOFw8Gik

MARLIN--- Very cool video on an intimidating trail with side out-croppings. However, forget the idea of adding any lockers to the VX because in "LOW RANGE" you already essentially have lockers at all 4 wheels as they are posi-locked in that mode.

Marlin
04/26/2009, 03:23 PM
MARLIN--- Very cool video on an intimidating trail with side out-croppings. However, forget the idea of adding any lockers to the VX because in "LOW RANGE" you already essentially have lockers at all 4 wheels as they are posi-locked in that mode.

I wish it were that simple. They are decent, for normal mud, snow, but as I found out, for rock crawlin, not even close. The troopers that were there with TOD had added lockers. As they showed me, they can drive up to a carolina oak, put one tire on it, and start climbing. The VX, cannot, due to the limited slip/positrack concept. I get up a little, then the power shifts to the free wheel, and I am stuck. I spent quite a bit of time with Joe Darlington, he has done the diff drop brackets, crossmembers, bumpers and so on for the VX. This is who Tone worked with for our custom parts, and it looks like I will be the new contact for them. He is a genius at fabrication. Turns out he is 300 miles from me.
Here are a few pics, I am dead tired, I am done for today:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/sweet.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/concentrate.JPG

Triathlete
04/26/2009, 07:11 PM

Nope! 4 wheel drive does not mean "4" wheel drive. In 4 lo you are in 2 wheel drive. The front dif is "open" and only 1 wheel "drives". To prove this, with the VX in 4 lo jack up 1 front tire...it will spin free while the other is still. The rear is a LSD. It drives 1 wheel until slippage occurs then the cluthes will lock up turning both tires. The rear LSD can be manipulated using the e-brake to act almost like a locker though.
A true locker locks both axles together causing both wheels to spin at the same time.

I spent quite a bit of time with Joe Darlington, he has done the diff drop brackets, crossmembers, bumpers and so on for the VX. This is who Tone worked with for our custom parts, and it looks like I will be the new contact for them. He is a genius at fabrication. Turns out he is 300 miles from me.

Joe is a great sorce of info and fabricator. He has done some great stuff for the Zu community. You can't go wrong working with him. Do a search over on the PlanetIsuzu.com boards and you will find a lot of his handy work.
Another great east coast Zu fab person is Matt at Indy 4X. He has been instramental in the community getting lockers and other big items manufactured for our Zu's.:cool:

Marlin
04/27/2009, 07:45 AM
Nope! 4 wheel drive does not mean "4" wheel drive. In 4 lo you are in 2 wheel drive. The front dif is "open" and only 1 wheel "drives". To prove this, with the VX in 4 lo jack up 1 front tire...it will spin free while the other is still. The rear is a LSD. It drives 1 wheel until slippage occurs then the cluthes will lock up turning both tires. The rear LSD can be manipulated using the e-brake to act almost like a locker though.
A true locker locks both axles together causing both wheels to spin at the same time.

Joe is a great sorce of info and fabricator. He has done some great stuff for the Zu community. You can't go wrong working with him. Do a search over on the PlanetIsuzu.com boards and you will find a lot of his handy work.
Another great east coast Zu fab person is Matt at Indy 4X. He has been instramental in the community getting lockers and other big items manufactured for our Zu's.:cool:

I am gettin Joe a Tone tshirt and decal, he asked me to pick him one up.
I will start a new thread, but to those that have diffdrop brackets, Joe needs the factory sets back so he can start modding some more. He is out and said there are a few sets shipped that haven't been returned yet. he is stil doing the cross members too. He is actually gonna help me with my lockers, probably aussies in rear, I would love ARBs, which is what he wants me to do, but damn, thats over 1K in parts, Aussies are like 350ish. Don't know about front yet, thinkin aussies with manual hubs, then the TOD doesn't matter. Will probably turn it off, via a switch like the Trooper folks. I may start a new thread to see who is locked and what they think. I don't think there are too many locked VXs. It is taking the modifications to a whole new level, no going back once you are there and it isn't realy worth it for the once a year Moab, but with the Uwharrie just a few hours away, I will make Daniels run without stopping...( Daniels run is the rock krawlin version of a double black diamond, the VX can make it, but its painful. Some ledges are about 7 or 8 feet up, locked folks make it look easy:(

Ldub
04/27/2009, 07:54 AM
I don't think there are too many locked VXs. It is taking the modifications to a whole new level, no going back once you are there :(

Todd Adams, Swordy & Grampa Bob come readily to mind...me, if I ever get my poop in a group.
I have an Aussie, already installed in an open carrier, just haven't been able to muster the time or $$$. Also, the weather hasn't even come up to "spring" temps around here yet...:sighwgray

You can go back if you get an open third member. Neither the Aussie or the ARB will fit in the stock LSD carrier.
I just got a used open carrier from Matt, so without further $, there will be no going back for me...:naughty:

slutty22
04/27/2009, 08:23 AM
I think the first mod you should get is sliders followed by new tires, and then CO2, or onboard air.

excuse my ignorance, but what is Co2 used for?

tom4bren
04/27/2009, 08:52 AM
"what is Co2 used for?"

Airing up your tires after a trail ride.

newthings
04/27/2009, 10:00 AM
On cold days you can also warm the globe.
Roy

tomdietrying
04/27/2009, 11:04 AM
Looks like a lot of fun.

Are any of those guys coming to Moab?

Peace.
Tom

Marlin
04/28/2009, 05:34 PM
No, they definitely expressed their disgruntlement at my being able to go to both events...lol. I have to bring them pics for Hallowharrie event. I wish they could go, they aren't willing to make that haul...this is probably the only time I will get to go too, unless I move back to the west coast...which is not likely...ever.

samneil2000
04/28/2009, 09:03 PM
I don't have pics uploaded yet since they are on the wifey's camera, but I finally did some wheelin in my VX this weekend too. My wife, daughter, and myself rode in the VX, and my friend rode in his Toyota. We went to a local "off road park" that I have never been to. It was mostly dirt with a little bit of mud here and there, about 200 acres.
I too came to the conclusion that the VX needs a locker, at least in the rear. I'm not real confident with IFS + lockers. It's been my experience that that usually leads to broken axles. A rear locker and some decent MT tires are both on my list, when funds are available. I have the regular old BFG ATs, and they are merely decent off road. They are great for on/off road, but I think a good set of MTs would be way better.

I tried to follow my friend in his dedicated rock crawler 4runner. All of my friends that rock crawl love those old 80s Yotas. His has a straight axle front, lockers front and rear, plenty of lift and gears and 39.5 inch tires. Needless to say my VX was outclassed.

So, did I read somewhere that we can't just through an Aussie or something in our rear ends? (yes, that sounds kinda funny :p) Has anybody ever ran a Lincoln locker in a VX? For those that have never heard of that, that's when you weld up the diff to make a permanent connection... like with a Lincoln welder... How does the TOD like a locked axle at either end?

Also, what's the scoop on locked IFS in a VX? I might be considering a SAS with a Toyota axle or something in the future, if I hold on to the VX.

samneil2000
05/04/2009, 06:06 PM
pssst... bump

crager34
05/05/2009, 07:41 AM
Just keep your tires on the ground and you can get up anything. :cool:

pbkid
05/05/2009, 10:29 AM
well, if your really interested in a locker, toddadams would probably be the guy to talk to...he is the only one i know of who has a locker in his VX and its an air locker in the front...

Marlin
05/05/2009, 01:34 PM
The isuzuplanet guys seem to think we can throw the Aussie 12bolt lockers in the rear. I will find out some more after Moab. I think Ascinder locked his as well.

pbkid
05/05/2009, 02:46 PM
i dont think beau is locked, but i could be wrong...

and yes the 12bolt aussie locker will work on the VX...as long as you buy a new axle (this is what Ldub is going through right now)

Ldub
05/05/2009, 11:20 PM
i dont think beau is locked, but i could be wrong...

and yes the 12bolt aussie locker will work on the VX...as long as you buy a new axle (this is what Ldub is going through right now)

Not a new axle Jack, just a new carrier, which is what the ring gear bolts to, & also contains the "guts" of the rear diff. Either planetary gears(open) or a locker.
The stock carrier,(LSD) won't work with the locker.:_wrench:

CrnCnn
05/06/2009, 06:34 AM
The isuzuplanet guys seem to think we can throw the Aussie 12bolt lockers in the rear. I will find out some more after Moab. I think Ascinder locked his as well.

Ascinder has a locker but its not installed yet. He isnt installing it either. Gotta fix his tranny and some other special projects first. :smilegray

I was going to buy it but dont know why I would need it. I dont wheel that much and dont feel I would get the use someone else could.

samneil2000
05/06/2009, 08:48 AM
I'm not real familiar with the Aussie. Is it a full time locker or is there some sort of actuator similar to the air lockers etc?

Ldub
05/06/2009, 08:53 AM
I'm not real familiar with the Aussie. Is it a full time locker or is there some sort of actuator similar to the air lockers etc?

http://www.aussielocker.com/

pbkid
05/06/2009, 09:00 AM
dub, your link doesnt work...
try this http://www.aussielocker.com/

Ldub
05/06/2009, 09:04 AM
dub, your link doesnt work...
try this http://www.aussielocker.com/

Thanks Jack, buy ya a "dub special" on the stoop for that...:_beer:

BTW, don't anybody try & order from the Aussie Locker official website, looks to me like they don't list one for the Isuzu Corp. 12 bolt, only the Dana 44 that came in the Rodeo.
If you want one, you'll have to go here...

https://id211.chi.us.securedata.net/independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=46_48&products_id=112