PDA

View Full Version : JDM Reverse Camera Adaptors For New Head Unit ?

crotchrocket
04/22/2009, 04:17 AM
I had a look at the wiring on the head unit at the weekend as i want to put a new one in. The reverse camera plugs straight into the standard head unit. I need it to connect to a standard Yellow RCA plug!! Has anyone done this? I can't find an adaptor.

Also, does the power for the camera come out of the head unit on this wire?

It is the centre socket in these (poor) photo's

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/camera.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/camera2.jpg

pbkid
04/22/2009, 05:00 PM
all i can help you with is that the left 2 plugs are standard for cameras, or ipod cables

Sprey
04/22/2009, 11:57 PM
looking at the bottom pic. the stock vx cam plugs into the middle on, Named CCD i think.

When i was looking for headunits over here i could only find some japanese cheapy looking units with that plug. in my price range. instead i mounted a another headunit down in the 1 din cubby hole.

Crotch i found some odd looking plug thing in the back of the vx on the left hand side. where the jack is, the camera plugs into it, It also has 1 aux type input.

Not sure what it does :S.

I can get a pic for you if you want

crotchrocket
04/23/2009, 02:58 AM
looking at the bottom pic. the stock vx cam plugs into the middle on, Named CCD i think.

When i was looking for headunits over here i could only find some japanese cheapy looking units with that plug. in my price range. instead i mounted a another headunit down in the 1 din cubby hole.

Crotch i found some odd looking plug thing in the back of the vx on the left hand side. where the jack is, the camera plugs into it, It also has 1 aux type input.

Not sure what it does :S.

I can get a pic for you if you want

Thanks dude, Don't worry about a pic i'll take a look later.

Sprey
04/23/2009, 03:23 AM
Thanks dude, Don't worry about a pic i'll take a look later.

Sweet as its fairly hidden, like behind the plastic i think. i noticed it when i was replacing my rear speakers, im sure youl find it tho.

Good luck.

castigan
04/25/2009, 04:58 PM
i cut the entire cable, and its very easy to find the video one and splice a rca plug into it.. mine now plugs into anything.. all you have to do is hook i think its a brown wire up to the reverse, maybe a pink.. that opens the door over the camera..

Sprey
04/25/2009, 07:24 PM
i cut the entire cable, and its very easy to find the video one and splice a rca plug into it.. mine now plugs into anything.. all you have to do is hook i think its a brown wire up to the reverse, maybe a pink.. that opens the door over the camera..

Really ! :O do you have any pics?.

Maybe i should of done that with mine, oh well theres still time.

crotchrocket
06/25/2009, 02:07 AM
I DID IT :D

What a nightmare fitting a new head unit was. I had to get the wiring diagram from the US vehicross and turns out its different to the JDM :rolleyes:

Also the addaptor i got to go from Isuzu to the new headunit had a female connector and guess what.......so did the isuzu!!!! so had to make a new connector off the old and new ones!!!! took ages but my advise is follow the wire colours on the wiring diagram and NOT their position number on the connector block as they are wrong!

For the camera feed, there is a yellow RCA video out on the metal box located where the jack is, simply run that to the headunit camera in. For the headunit to show the camera when putting it in reverse you simply connect it to a reverse light feed (which i found under the passenger seat ;) )

So everything still works without the OEM head unit, i was worried the power for the reverse camera and its motorised flap came from th head unit but it doesn't. It all still works fine with the new head unit.

Sprey
06/25/2009, 03:23 AM
Awesome news!
wish i kinda explored into this all drama before i went and got another headunit. with mine i just ended up chucking in a single din down below where the cubby hole normaly is.

Oh well its fine how it is. Might change it later.

I always wondered about that little box in the back for the camera but havent had time to piss with it. Glad you did :p

I brought a small little camera to put up in the rear window. Tho shame the stock addzest unit is the wrong hertz so all i see is black and white fuzzy lines and a repeating image.

What headunit do you go with in the end

crotchrocket
06/25/2009, 03:44 AM
just one i have moved from car to car for the last 3 cars :D

its a Halfords branded ripspead' unit. inexpensive (?450) and packed with features in my opinion!!!

I now need to make a cover for the head unit as its now a sigle DIN in a double hole!!

alterastro
06/25/2009, 04:18 AM
Wish I'd seen this before as I could have saved you all that trouble! I did mine a few weeks back and discovered the little box at the back. I got the double din unit from eBay that does everything, including sat nav which is kinda neat.

If you've got a single din spare, why not mount your CB in there or make a plate up and fix your scangauge in it?

Nick

crotchrocket
06/25/2009, 04:26 AM
Yes think i will as the CB speaker is now running through the stereo. The scanguage can stay in place of the ash tray i think :D

My hole stereo surround is broken in 4 places so needs re-making :(

Sprey
06/25/2009, 06:25 PM
Yes think i will as the CB speaker is now running through the stereo. The scanguage can stay in place of the ash tray i think :D

My hole stereo surround is broken in 4 places so needs re-making :(

did it get big ugly cracks in it where it joins to the piece in the dash.
mine had one hairline cracked put layered some hot glue on it to give it some strength