PDA

View Full Version : Rims and logo

Native_V_ha
07/23/2003, 11:55 AM
I have debadged all the logos off my VX but i don't know how i take the logo off the caps of the rims. I was wondering if i could turn it around or something....i like the fact no one knows what kind of car i have....only for people to pull up to the side and see the stupid logo when i stop.... Anyone know what i can do?:confused:

Navigator
07/23/2003, 01:27 PM
First remove the hubs. Then peel off the stickers carefully, a popsicle stick helps, just grind one edge down like a chisel blade to wedge under the sticker between the adhesive, push to the center and make a circle. Easy. then clean up any excess adhesive with bug and tar remover.

VehiX
07/23/2003, 02:46 PM
I don't know about you guys but I had a hell of a time taking those logos off the rims on my 99' :mad:

It took me several hours with all kinds of products and heat to remove them down to a nice shiny finish.

Removing the stickers on the rims is one of those projects that I am glad I only have to do once :eek:

If you want something to stick together and NEVER come off then ask Isuzu what the hell they used to mount those stickers with cuz that's some potent, sticky azz, shyte!!!

:laughy:

geshaw30
07/24/2003, 07:02 AM
It depends on the year of your ride. The "stickers" on the rims of a '99 can be removed but it ain't easy. I heated the sticker with a hair dryer (for quite a while) then slipped a thin shafted flat head screwdriver under it. If you push the 'driver, slowly, half way through the sticker and lift then the little devil will split in half. I used a pair of pliers to pull off the two halves and cleaned the glue off the center cap with a little gasoline. The trick is to go slowly as to not scratch the surface underneath.
The inserts on '00 & '01 are much more difficult. At the last meet (here in Houston) we decided the risk was not worth the effort.
________
EXPERT INSURANCE (http://xpertinsurance.com/)

WyrreJ
07/24/2003, 09:19 AM
If your ride is a 00 or 01, then there is a cheap and easy way to get almost the same effect. Wal-mart sells big, round convex mirrors designed to stick on your side-mirrors to give a better view. Instead of that, buy four of them and just stick them on top of the logos on the wheels. It looks surprisingly good unless you get right up on them, like kneeling down to inspect them. Even then, the problem is that the double-sided tape is thick so the mirror isn't flush to the wheel hub. If you pulled the tape and used super-glue or something, it would probably look OEM. I didn't do that with mine because I was afraid a mirror might crack or something, but after about 4K miles, all on-road, the worst they've done is get dusty.

Be sure to measure the diameter of the hub, wal-mart makes at least two different sizes. Someone else already posted this advice once, but they posted the wrong size, so I'm not even going to guess at the size. At my wal-mart I went with the larger of the two size mirrors.

Panther_Black_VX
07/25/2003, 07:59 PM
The mirrors are a good inexpensive alternative. I did it and have gotten some compliments.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2050&papass=&sort=4

I think I got 4, 3.5 inch mirrors, for under $12 bucks. No cracks or breaks up to this point.

XCross69
07/26/2003, 07:59 AM
I did it, took the loggo off the wheels last night...started at 8pm done by 10pm. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be, but you guys are right, that has to be the best glue I have ever come accross... I heated them up, stuck a screw driver up underneath, peeled them off, got most the glue off with nail polish remover then sprayed WD40 on them to remove the rest of the glue and it even gave them a great shine. Now my VX is debadged except for the "VehiCross" which I think I am gonna leave on!

Yet another mission completed!

Heraclid
07/26/2003, 09:35 AM
First, if your VX is debadged, is this a problem when you go to sell one of these? People may want to see what they're getting on the vehicle and may get wary if it's not there. The only one that seems to me like it would be easily reversible (replaceable) is the front grill logo. Everything else seems like once it's gone, it's gone. And in terms of collectibility, wouldn't debadging be detrimental?

Second, has anyone ever debadged at, oh, 50,000 miles? I'm not real seriously considering it yet, but if anything I would maybe remove the Isuzu logo from the rear to get a cleaner look. But at this mileage, I suspect I'd be stuck with a ghost image for sure.

Anyone got a good straight-on pic of a debadged wheel? Over time those decals seem to get hazy and yellow so I wouldn't mind averting that.

I'm not ashamed that I drive an Isuzu and don't care what anyone wants to think of that. But if I think I will personally like it better with some debadging, I might do it.

WyrreJ
07/26/2003, 11:46 AM
I bought mine used with 5k miles and was glad that is mostly debaged, saved me the time and effort.

Panther_Black_VX
07/26/2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid

I'm not ashamed that I drive an Isuzu and don't care what anyone wants to think of that. But if I think I will personally like it better with some debadging, I might do it.

You know I used to feel the same way. I have numerous post on ClubVmag where I ask why do people debadge. I was totally against it!

But then I came over to the "blank" side.

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002266.html

It looks good and there are posts where it seems debadging does not disuade others from buying a debadged VX.

Heraclid
07/26/2003, 04:03 PM
Interestingly, my last car was always getting more respect than it deserved because it *looked* tough. Now I have one that really *is* tough and it gets under-rated. I don't quite understand what some peoples' problem with Isuzu is. And those Joe Isuzu commercials used to crack me up.

I'll have to go back and look in the gallery for some debadged VX pics to see if I like it enough to try it. My main concern is ending up with a ghost image on the rear. Probably will not try to do it there just because of that. Maybe the grill... maybe. Wheels are the most likely. Side emblems definitely will stay.

I also used to be totally against debadging. Now I'm curious but not committed. To me, a debadged or rebadged vehicle used to have "poser" written all over it. Either they are embarassed that it is what it is, or they want you to think it is something it is not. Or both. You know - the guy in the Eclipse GS that strips it off so you, in theory anyway, won't know its the base model. Or the guy in the standard Mustang who puts Cobra emblems on it. And of course anyone who halfway knows the make can tell it's fake in a heartbeat.

I still feel that way a little bit, although I'm trying to come around. I know there are some who honestly just like a cleaner look and don't want to drive a billboard. I can sympathize in a sense - I've always hated it when dealers put their crap on vehicles, but make and model stuff never has bothered me too much. However I do think the VehiCross has a unique futuristic look to it that may be enhanced by stripping away the lettering.

The whole idea of the VehiCross was to reshape peoples' thinking about Isuzu. That name on this vehicle makes people question that Isuzu stigma because most of them think the VX is pretty cool. So what I'm trying to say is, if that "ew, it's an Isuzu" thing bothers you, taking off the badging doesn't help change that. You're driving the best marketing tool they've got going, even if the Axiom does look kinda cool.

kpaske
07/26/2003, 04:47 PM
Debadge or not to debadge? I pondered over this one for a while, and finally came around to removing the rear ISUZU logo and VehiCross side logos. I want to do the wheels, but it sounds like a time investment and I've got a bunch of other projects I'm working on right now. When I did it, I never really though much about not wanting people to know what kind of vehicle it was - because most of them didn't know even with the badging on - but I wanted a cleaner look. That's why I stripped the stripes off the side of my last vehicle - I just thought it looked better.

Anyhow, I've got the infamous "ghost image" on my rear door now. Does anyone know how to get it off?

scarpezio
05/20/2005, 02:48 PM
I took the ISUZU off the back of my VX yesterday using a hair dryer and just peeled the letters off. I then removed any residue with WD-40, washed it off with alcohol and then waxed. No ghosting (Ebony VX).

Today I went out to Pep Boys and bought 4 3.5" convex mirrors @ $2.49 each, cleaned off the hubs with alcohol, and adhered them over the ISUZU. The mirrors have a doughnut shaped tape so the mirror sits evenly on the hub. (Pictures attached.) Looks pretty nice from any reasonable distance and will look better once I wash the wheels and treat the tires.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/CIMG0015.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG0015.JPG)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/CIMG00141.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG00141.JPG)

Heraclid
05/20/2005, 04:02 PM
Hmmm... not bad. My stickers look nice... if I do the right things to 'em. They get to looking streaky a lot of times, and since detailing the VX keeps me so busy, one less thing to worry with would be nice. I'll probably remove them soon.

MZ-N10
05/20/2005, 04:05 PM
lol....tats pretty ingenius......

Otto
05/20/2005, 06:55 PM
Since I debagded mine more people seem to stop me to ask what am I driving.Instead of taking off the stickers on the rims , I put decals over them and they look like they came with the truck.

MachineVX
05/21/2005, 06:59 AM
Does anybody have a pic of a debadged wheel?

transio
05/21/2005, 07:23 AM
Just buy new wheels! The stock ones are too narrow and inset for the VX anyhow :)

Heraclid
05/21/2005, 08:49 AM
By far the best way to cover the caps was the person who recently had ones made with the VehiCROSS logo machined in them. VERY nice. Who was it? After a cursory search, I can't find it...

Heraclid
05/21/2005, 08:55 AM
AHA! thedutchguy was the one. Did some searching, found a thread where he was asking for a hi-res pic of the logo, got suspicious, checked for his other posts lately, and there it was...

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6609