PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye is so hard

Chopper
04/21/2009, 07:36 AM
[url=http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10902]http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Crystal_in_Shades.jpg[/url My very best friend of 13 years is leaving me...there's nothing to be done for it. It's been comming for about a year, but somehow, she just keeps going. This dog has survived several operations, two litters and one Rattlesnake bite...she's a tough girl. Maybe it's just the topper on a really hard year...maybe I'm just getting old....but I'm crushed. I've been crying like an eight year old for two days now. I've lost lots of dogs, horses, and on and on over the years. I grew up on a farm, and have been surrounded by the life and death of animals forever...so I know the deal...but damn....damn. The vet will be here between 6 and 7 this evening...and that will be it...damn. My heart is broken

WormGod
04/21/2009, 07:42 AM
Sorry for the loss man. I look at my dog every single day and tell myself that day will never come. Never an easy thing. They aren't man's best friends for nothing.

Hang in there.

VCrossfan
04/21/2009, 08:03 AM
Sorry to hear Chopper...I hope what I'm going to tell you helps. I went through this same thing a few years ago with a great dog who's name was Friday, We named her that because the pound we got her from was going to put her down that day, so with 3 days left till Friday we brought her home. Long story short she brought happiness to us for almost 15 years. And at the end within 1 month her hair was falling out, she couldn't see or hear and stopped eating. I took her into my vet like I did once a week for the last 3 weeks and this visit he said there's nothing more that can be done. So I had her put down, it was very tough but I stayed in there with her and she went without a struggle thats when it hit me that she was ready to go and I was keeping her alive for me. I had a calmness come over me ( but still cried like a baby later from time-to-time) It hit me that she is at peace now, she had 3 days left to live in the pound and I gave her and she to me almost 15 more years of great times.. It will be tough but does get better. Think of the good times...

MSHardeman
04/21/2009, 08:06 AM
Chopper, I am terribly sorry for your loss. This kind of thing is never easy, but be comforted in the fact that she lived a great life. They seem to be here for such a short time, but they make our lives so much better both while they are here and long after they are gone.

4X4 UFO
04/21/2009, 08:15 AM
I'm sorry for your pain, Chopper. We went through this over a year ago. It's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I don't know the details, but I know this has been a rough year for you. Sometimes the bad stuff comes in bunches.............

CrnCnn
04/21/2009, 08:17 AM
Thats sad to hear chopper. I hate these threads.

Gussie2000
04/21/2009, 08:30 AM
My sympathy goes for your chopper,i know how it feels when the unevitable comes by.

Tears has no age when it concerns your beloved ones,even that one who walks on four legs,she knows that you loved her & will be missed for ever.

Hang in there & remember those moments when she make you smile wagging her tail every evening you drove back home or those weekends sharing good times playing around the yard

I love pets & when they do get into your heart it's hard to accept some day they'll not be there anymore around us

God bless

Mark B
04/21/2009, 08:39 AM
Sorry for your loss.
I went through the same thing a few years back.
Lost 2 of my best friends. They lived to 15 and 16 years.
I know how you feel.

handeeman
04/21/2009, 08:56 AM
It breaks my heart to hear that Chopper. I've got one that is 12 and I try to enjoy her everyday, as I know she is only on loan. Yet I'm very thankful for the gift.

nfpgasmask
04/21/2009, 08:56 AM
Sorry Chop, this is something all of us dog lovers come to face at sometime. My little CeCe is my BFF and I can't even imagine.

I feel for you, brother.

Bart

Anita
04/21/2009, 09:04 AM
I look at my cat of 14 years every day and wonder how much time I still have with her. She is one of those cats that has brought laughter, fun, love and thousands of evenings of warm laps. You have given your girl the gift of a wonderful life and she has given you unconditional love and companionship.

It is only at the end that I must remind myself that there is one final gift to give - the gift of a gentle death. And if death doesnt steal her away from me quickly, I will have to weigh with a sober and steady mind when that time is. Stay strong for her - and hang in there. My thoughts are with you today.

VX KAT
04/21/2009, 10:11 AM
It's never easy but finally a time arrives when you know in your heart it's right and your baby is ready too. Today is that day and you'll find peace in it.
I've found lots of comfort from a website a friend told me about.
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
It's not weird or dorky, go ahead and read it, it's short, and let the tears flow, the images it creates for you will be wonderful and will comfort you.
I cry with you today. :cryb:

CrnCnn
04/21/2009, 10:15 AM
once again I hate these threads..... I feel sad to think that someday my Gracie will be gone.

don moore
04/21/2009, 10:15 AM
no more pain..... peace

99VC
04/21/2009, 10:37 AM
Chopper
I feel your pain as many of us do, my best friend Chester decided it was time to leave on 1-23-09, would have been 18 on 4-1-09. As I'm writing this I'm looking at a PIC of him and remember all the joy he brought to me, from the first day I brought him home from the pound at 4 months old. It seems as a group here,, we all have a place for our loved pets. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Scott Harness
04/21/2009, 10:42 AM
So sorry Chopper! I feel for you.My dog Jax probably won't make it thru summer.:( He is 12, that's old for a Boxer.

Anita
04/21/2009, 11:50 AM
A close friend of mine wrote a most wonderful musical called BARK! that is opening around the country and South America. Anyway, there is a number sung by one of the "dogs" who has grown old and sick. It's called "A Grassy Field" and someone posted the audio up on YouTube. It's a ten hankerchief song, but wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiADsg-cJ6E

kodiak
04/21/2009, 12:59 PM
Sorry Chopper. :(

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Crystal_in_Shades.jpg

PittVXr
04/21/2009, 01:22 PM
So sorry to hear this. As someone who's had dogs for 20+ years I know this is one of the hardest things in life to go through.

KeithVXlvr
04/21/2009, 02:23 PM
Sorry to hear it Chopper. :(

When it is time for my dog Snickers to go, I am pretty sure I will be a mess for quite some time.

Hang in there and know that we all feel for you.

Joe_Black
04/21/2009, 02:29 PM
Our thoughts are with ya man! :(

It's strange in a way how many of us enter into the care of animals for companionship knowing the pain that awaits us down an all too short road. Maybe we're better for having known them and having selflessly provided the care and love they may otherwise have not known. And yet again and again our hearts prove vast and uncomprising in showing the same to the next joyful addition in our lives whether furred, feathered or scaled.

VXNIT
04/21/2009, 02:45 PM
Tough saying goodbye.. A dogs plea reads that when quality of life demisnishes and life is no longer fun for me "please see my trusting life is taken gently knowing with my last breath my fate is safest in your hands"

Sorry Chopper..

Gussie2000
04/21/2009, 03:51 PM
It's never easy but finally a time arrives when you know in your heart it's right and your baby is ready too. Today is that day and you'll find peace in it.
I've found lots of comfort from a website a friend told me about.
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
It's not weird or dorky, go ahead and read it, it's short, and let the tears flow, the images it creates for you will be wonderful and will comfort you.
I cry with you today. :cryb:

Kat thank you for sharing this beautyfull poem, I love it.

I never shared any pics of my beloved friend ( prince ) who i brought along with me from my country,i left behind two beautifull australian parrots which i had since i were 23,now i'm 34;Thank good the person who i left them with has took well care of them ever since i came to the US.
With god's spare i'll able to see them next year when i travel over to visit old friends & relatives.
The night before boarding the plane i locked my self in my room & talked to them,they remained quiet & actually listen to every said word,i apolagize my self for leaving them behind.

I went thru a sad situation with my 1rst doggie,a playfull spanniel named ron at the age of 11.
Ron were a gift from the embassy of algeria where my mother use to work in venezuela as english translator.The first three years was all perfect life,but then he develope a heart condition due bacterial infection,the vet told us he'll be able to live few more years,but no hope,after 9 months he wasn't able to even walk without sufferin
g a lot of fatigue,I was rectulant to accept that ron needed to go,he was suffering & did,'t want him to die.My father talked to me & made understand that ron must leave to rest in peace.
The day we drove to the vet & cried like a baby because i knew i was loosing the best dog i've ever deal in my life
I remained along side ron while the vet applied the injection to end his suffering,ron looked at me like he knew what was going on & his brown eyes offering a "thank you for being my friend" his heart started to pump slowly till his eyes closed for ever.
It really hurt me loosing ron,i was just 11 & i promised my self not having another friend like ron afraid to loosing him again,then i give up my word six years ago when my girl who knew my huge love for pets show up with prince,a beauty of white mini puddle puppy of three weeks.
I grief ron for months & probably for years,but prince had fullfil that hollow a lot
I know many of us went thru this situation at least once,but it do helps talking or writing about your experience

Chopper
04/22/2009, 07:03 AM
Sorry Chopper. :(

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Crystal_in_Shades.jpg

I'd like to take a moment to thank all of you for the kind words and thoughts. Krystal did not wait for the vet, she passed on her own at 3:24 in the afternoon...lying on her loveseat. It seemed painless, and fairly easy...after the last couple days, it was a relief of sorts. Smartest dog I've ever met.... It was honestly a privelige to have been part of her amazing life, and I'm glad I was there with her at the end....she will never ever be forgotten. Thanks again, for all the love guys.

Ldub
04/22/2009, 09:31 AM
AWWWW MAN...:sighwgray

Very sorry to hear of this Chopper.
My sincere condolences to you & your family.

Yeah, it gets a bit easier with time, unfortunately, it hurts like hell now.

Keep the chin up Bro.

tomdietrying
04/22/2009, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Chopper.

I bet Krystal is pain free and chasing a rabbit somewhere.

Peace.
Tom

cyronman
04/22/2009, 07:49 PM
Chopper,

I've been through this myself...

Sorry to hear, man.

Cy