PDA

View Full Version : CARBON FIBER HOOD INSERTS....20 Buyers needed!

JoFotoz
04/16/2009, 12:41 PM
I have a quote from...

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/exterior-parts-hoods-c-30_1838.html?gclid=CL3M_pa76pkCFRFWagodPEZwRw

Carbon fiber Hood Insert...manufactured by Seibon.

I will send them an insert , they make a mold and do a run of 20.

Cost...approx $330 per....very competitive with OEM metal price.

Payment up front will be required...to cover my butt!

Please indicate via poll if SERIOUSLY interested.

jo

slutty22
04/16/2009, 12:48 PM
Thinking about making these myself. will the ones they make have a hood scoop?

JoFotoz
04/16/2009, 12:52 PM
All 20 people would need to agree on style of scoop....

Thinking about making these myself. will the ones they make have a hood scoop?

...that might be tough!

jo

LittleBeast
04/16/2009, 12:59 PM
Where is the never in a million years button? ;puke::thumbdn::_thinking

:winkr:

JoFotoz
04/16/2009, 01:02 PM
LOL...dont hold back...

Where is the never in a million years button? ;puke::thumbdn::_thinking:winkr:

...tell us how ya REALLY feel!

jo

PS...was that a no....:p

Chopper
04/16/2009, 01:57 PM
It'd be nice to lose some of that weight, but you'd have to paint it pretty quick...Fla. (most sunny places) is hell on that clear.

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 02:02 PM
First off, I am with LittleBeast, and also, the OEM hood insert is not made of metal, the whole thing is fiberglass. I just removed mine and it is not heavy at all.

:) Bart

Chopper
04/16/2009, 02:22 PM
My original cracked a little on that seam. I got the replacement under warranty...I just had to hand them the old one. Bart's right...it didn't weigh much.It has a sort of contact paper finish.

WormGod
04/16/2009, 02:55 PM
Voted YES, but only MINUS a scoop or with some sort of extraction.

Scoop + VX = worthless :(

Knigh7s
04/16/2009, 03:23 PM
+1

MINUS a scoop or with some sort of extraction.

Scoop + VX = worthless :(

I'd be down if it has a heat extractor. something like the evoIX hood.

But again, it would be hard to get 20 people to buy into the same design.

Are you serious about Seibon!? They make some pretty high quality C/F hoods and stuff...

circmand
04/16/2009, 03:31 PM
a cool mural on it? Maybe a naked chick or some other 70s van retro art.

JoFotoz
04/16/2009, 03:43 PM
Yup..Seibon

+1
Are you serious about Seibon!? They make some pretty high quality C/F hoods and stuff...

And yer right.....they make sone REALLY High Quality stuff.

jo

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 03:57 PM

You mean like this?
http://www.nofuture.com/lj/03-20-08/004.jpg

Yeah! That's just what the VX needs!!

:laughing:

Bart

pbkid
04/16/2009, 04:07 PM
wow...seibon! im impressed....(thats what i was looking at for my TEG...but i ended up getting a VIS one because of the price difference, but its still a quality company)

i dont think i would be willing to spend that much on a visual mod....personally...

circmand
04/16/2009, 04:15 PM
You mean like this?

Bart

why not your vx?

Anita
04/16/2009, 04:36 PM
You mean like this?

Bart

Yes, that is exactly what i need....:rolleyes: :rollp: :_thinking:dan_ban:

Gussie2000
04/16/2009, 04:51 PM

Your wife wouldn't that happy to see that chick :p

JAFO
04/17/2009, 12:06 AM
Dry carbon or matte finish?

ISCE
04/17/2009, 07:24 AM
I'm in. Was planning on spending some of my tax money on a new insert and this is better.

JoFotoz
04/17/2009, 09:16 AM
"Dry" carbon is the matte finish.

Dry carbon or matte finish?

If we can get 20 people , they can do 10 "Matte"...and 10 UV clear coated.

The UV clear coated will of course increase life expectancy.

jo

circmand
04/17/2009, 10:14 AM
Your wife wouldn't that happy to see that chick :p

I wasn't getting her for my wife:) Especially since I have no wife.

JoFotoz
04/19/2009, 01:28 PM
Pretty good response so far....

Gonna need 20 'for sure' to make this happen..:eek:

jo

Riff Raff
04/19/2009, 03:02 PM
Hmmm; let's see, $330 to get the "look" of carbon-fiber. The very same "look" can be easily accomplished with the simple application of a large vinyl carbon-fiber "decal" applied to the existing hood insert for very minimal cost. Sorry Jo, but no thanx.

JoFotoz
04/19/2009, 03:58 PM
No worries....

I'm sure its not to everyones liking........:cool:

jo

JoFotoz
04/27/2009, 03:49 PM
Looks like the required 20 is gonna be hard to achieve...

I'll bump it one final time...;)

jo

Solitude
04/27/2009, 07:13 PM
will they have holes for the windshield washer jets?

JoFotoz
04/27/2009, 08:21 PM
Yup...

will they have holes for the windshield washer jets?

:confused:

jo

JoFotoz
04/29/2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks to all that replied...

BUT...not enough "for sure" interest to go ahead with this.

I will be looking at a cheaper Carbon insert alternative...

...not Seibon...but pretty good.

I'll post when I've got the info.

Thanks again for the replies.

jo

vt_maverick
07/11/2009, 03:23 PM
Why the F does this thread keep showing up as being recently updated when Jo's last post is from April?!?

JoFotoz
07/11/2009, 04:20 PM
Looks like a couple of people answered the poll question recently....

Why the F does this thread keep showing up as being recently updated when Jo's last post is from April?!?

...TOO LATE!

jo

CrzyFool
07/12/2009, 09:23 PM
Put me down for one, Im not against a scoop either . . . but it would have to be low like the old STi ones . . . didnt CF1 make those a few years back? In fact dont some people have them on their VX's?

alterastro
07/17/2009, 01:36 AM
I think this thread been relegated to the 'oh well, it was a good idea at the time' folder.

But yes, I'd love an insert with the low scoop too. Anyone know where I can get one? :bwgy:

Nick

kirk hilton
07/17/2009, 03:55 AM
I dont know where you can get a replacement bonnet(hood) insert with a low scoop but it is something I'd also be interested in. If you find one Nick contact me - we could double up on the order (particularly if it from the states) and perhaps that way it could be cheaper.

Kirk

tom4bren
07/17/2009, 05:43 AM
FYI,

I replaced my hood insert with one from a wrecked donor recently. I had it LineX'd & it came out nice (see thread titled 'hood insert repair').

The real topic of this post is this - I've gotten a couple of estimates on repairing the old cracked one. OUCH. The two estimates were $450 & $600.

So ... $330 for a replacement hood insert ain't bad.

BTW, I'll prolly try to repair the crack myself & post the results (don't hold your breath tho - I procrastinate).

Tom

Chopper
07/17/2009, 07:56 AM
I don't see why repairing the old one is that big a deal. Take it out...skin it...stabilize the crack...epoxy...finish/prime/paint to your liking. You won't need a body shop for this, if you've ever built any models as a kid, it'll be a snap (pretty much)

tom4bren
07/17/2009, 08:21 AM
Chopper,

Yer making a leap of faith in my abilities that may not be justified.

I can certainly schlep some epoxy or fiberglass resin in a crack and fix it structurally. Making it all look purdy when I'm done - that seems to be beyond my current job skills.

That's why I was looking at the professional approach. When I picked my chin up off the curb after those estimates tho ... I decided I may just LEARN.

tworavens
07/17/2009, 07:48 PM
I'm still not too clear on what the stock hood insert is made of. Is it fiberglass, or fiberglass on top of something else, or what? I'd like to get some local estimates on getting mine repaired, but I reckon I need to know what it's made of first...

blujfan9293
07/19/2009, 06:41 AM
put me down as interested (i wll pay).

JoFotoz
07/19/2009, 08:24 PM
:_brickwalOK..OK..STOP!

Read the thread!...REALLY READ IT !!.

This idea was shelved months ago...cause of not enough interest.

:p

But now it seems people are interested all over agian!

I'm a tad busy...but will look into a cheaper..GOOD version of carbon insert...

...as soon as i have time.

Meanwhile...let this thread DIE!.....

Thanks

jo

blacksambo
07/19/2009, 08:30 PM
It all depends on the look. If it improves the look of the OEM it's worthwhile, definitely.

Triathlete
07/19/2009, 09:07 PM
So, Jo...whats the latest on these C/F hood inserts?:bump::rotate::naughty::whiteflag::dan_ban :

JoFotoz
07/19/2009, 09:24 PM
Well Billy...

So, Jo...whats the latest on these C/F hood inserts?:bump::rotate::naughty::whiteflag::dan_ban :

...I'm thinking site supporters will get 20% off....:dance:

:LineWave::_steering:argue::_steering:LineWave:

alterastro
07/20/2009, 12:17 AM
And can it have a low scoop? Can it? Please? Can it? :bwgy: :_drool:

:jump:

don moore
07/20/2009, 01:52 AM
hey JO did your wonderful wife go to space yet???????thread jack..hehe

tom4bren
07/20/2009, 04:38 AM
"I'm still not too clear on what the stock hood insert is made of. Is it fiberglass, or fiberglass on top of something else, or what? I'd like to get some local estimates on getting mine repaired, but I reckon I need to know what it's made of first..."

tworavens,

I was told by one of the guys I got an estimate from that it is SMC (or something like that - I'll edit this post if I ever find out for sure). That stands for Sheet Molded Composit (I think). Basically it's not fiberglass & that's why the repair estimates are so high - fiberglass resin just won't stick to it reliably.

I'm going to try to do the repair myself using this stuff I've had good luck with in the past called PC-7. Home Depot is supposed to be a distributer but I used to get it from True Value.

I've already promised my current insert to another member but I'll try to keep fixing them & making them available if it all works out.

Tom

Ldub
07/20/2009, 06:07 AM
"I'm still not too clear on what the stock hood insert is made of. Is it fiberglass, or fiberglass on top of something else, or what? I'd like to get some local estimates on getting mine repaired, but I reckon I need to know what it's made of first..."

tworavens,

I was told by one of the guys I got an estimate from that it is SMC (or something like that - I'll edit this post if I ever find out for sure). That stands for Sheet Molded Composit (I think). Basically it's not fiberglass & that's why the repair estimates are so high - fiberglass resin just won't stick to it reliably.

I'm going to try to do the repair myself using this stuff I've had good luck with in the past called PC-7. Home Depot is supposed to be a distributer but I used to get it from True Value.

I've already promised my current insert to another member but I'll try to keep fixing them & making them available if it all works out.

Tom

A little TJ here (sorry Jo :flower:) But after workin' mine over with the sander, I had no problem feathering/blending in the hood scoop & fang extender thingies using a strand reenforced bondo (kitty hair). That was over a year ago, & so far no problem.

Where I have had problems, is with moisture bubbling up under the finish. It's like the bottom side isn't sealed well enough, & allows condensation to infiltrate up throught the panel...:sighwgray

Another issue I had, was my own lack of forsight, I applied the hood scoop & fang thingies with 3M double stick, & mistakenly thought that the bondo would also act as an adhesive...wrong! Cracked all the way around the perimeter of all 3 peices.

When I get around to a "do-over" I'll use a high quality epoxy, like PC-3 or equivalent to bond the decorations to the insert.

tworavens
07/20/2009, 10:18 PM

tworavens,

Tom

Thanks for the info. I can now add 'Hood Insert' to my to-do list, after Windows, Cladding Refurbishing, Stereo/GPS Installation, 3" Lift, Roof Rack, Winch, Hitch, Wiper Arm Refinishing, and figuring out what the Fuzzy Hole is for.

Riff Raff
07/20/2009, 11:15 PM
........and figuring out what the Fuzzy Hole is for.

Fuzzy Hole purpose??? That's the million dollar question; nobody knows. However, most of us buy the little Hot Wheels toy VX car (same color of course), and put it in the Fuzzy Hole (fits perfect). You can easily find VX Hot Wheels on eBay for cheap.

By the way, as JO has already mentioned numerous times-- "This thread is dead, please let it die!!!"

tworavens
07/20/2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah, got the Hot Wheels cars, but couldn't find one in Dragon Green so need to touch it up still.

Okay, this thread is dead to me now.

tom4bren
07/21/2009, 03:59 AM
"........and figuring out what the Fuzzy Hole is for."

That's where I keep my Copenhagen.

circmand
12/30/2009, 01:29 PM
This thread popped up on my list of threads with a new post. It shows having a post today. I click on it and see the last post was actually in July. I get a lot of these showing up as having new threads but when clicked only have old posts.

PK
12/30/2009, 01:51 PM
This thread popped up on my list of threads with a new post. It shows having a post today. I click on it and see the last post was actually in July. I get a lot of these showing up as having new threads but when clicked only have old posts.

IIRC this happens to threads with polls on the top.
If someone votes on the poll, I shows up as a new post, even if there is no new post.

I admit it can be annoying to people (including me) that use the "Unread posts" link.

PK

tom4bren
12/30/2009, 02:06 PM
A little TJ here (sorry Jo :flower:) But after workin' mine over with the sander, I had no problem feathering/blending in the hood scoop & fang extender thingies using a strand reenforced bondo (kitty hair). That was over a year ago, & so far no problem.

Where I have had problems, is with moisture bubbling up under the finish. It's like the bottom side isn't sealed well enough, & allows condensation to infiltrate up throught the panel...:sighwgray

Another issue I had, was my own lack of forsight, I applied the hood scoop & fang thingies with 3M double stick, & mistakenly thought that the bondo would also act as an adhesive...wrong! Cracked all the way around the perimeter of all 3 peices.

When I get around to a "do-over" I'll use a high quality epoxy, like PC-3 or equivalent to bond the decorations to the insert.

That cracking and the bubbles may be what the fiberglass guy was referring to. Ida know, just shooting in the dark.

mrtew
12/31/2009, 09:36 PM
I'd like to get one. Maybe if people don't let it die we can get them after all.

rowhard
01/01/2010, 08:45 AM
most of us buy the little Hot Wheels toy VX car (same color of course), and put it in the Fuzzy Hole (fits perfect). You can easily find VX Hot Wheels on eBay for cheap.

I couldn't find one in Dragon Green so I just put a clock there

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_00011.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8763)

JoFotoz
01/03/2010, 10:41 AM
There seems to be lots of new interest...!!

We didnt have enough people to make this viable back in April/may 09...

...but maybe we do now.

I'm a little busy for the next month or so..but will try and get some new options and quotes as soon as I can.

Question is...scooped or not scooped...?

And if scooped...we all need to agree on a design.

jo

mrtew
01/03/2010, 04:51 PM
I'm into the WRX type scoop but I'm cool with smooth too. Mark me down as flexible!

PK
01/03/2010, 05:05 PM
Jo, I would order one with a scoop, but not one without.

Not fussy about the type of scoop.

PK

Mile High VX
01/03/2010, 06:34 PM
Scoop for me...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Not too picky, but like the WRX style the best. The T-Bird one looks good also.

Have a great day.

idrivem5
02/01/2010, 10:00 AM
I'm in if it has a scoop...

Something like this one would be cool.

http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Carbon_Creations/Body_Kits_&_Conversions/Hood_Scoops/Carbon_Creations_Universal_Hood_Roof_Scoop_1_-_102894/12430/

WormGod
02/03/2010, 07:19 AM
http://images.buyautotruckaccessories.com/products/apps/app_JS_JSP026_ProAero.jpg

Go all the way!

tom4bren
02/03/2010, 07:24 AM
Replace the iggle with a skull & Ldub will be all over it.

Ldub
02/03/2010, 07:26 AM
Replace the iggle with a skull & Ldub will be all over it.

:yesgray:

Leah
10/05/2010, 07:12 PM
Did anyone ever make a decision on this? My OEM hood insert is cracking pretty badly and I need a replacement. Also, I prefer no scoop, but only because I want to airbrush a picture on the insert. If everyone else wants a scoop, that's fine with me. Will the insert be matte or glossy? Is that a ridiculous question to ask? Can carbon fiber be made matte?

vt_maverick
10/06/2010, 07:17 AM
I can't imagine paint of any kind sticking to a slick CF surface without sanding, which you'd have to do to the entire insert or only under your intended design, neither of which sounds easy. Seems like you'd be better off to get a used insert in good shape.

Luna X
10/08/2010, 10:16 AM
Raw c.f. is gonna have the same issues as our beloved cladding. ..Since it is recommended that the piece be clearcoated, it would lend itself perfectly to having a design painted on it before the clear goes on.

RallyDude
10/09/2010, 12:07 AM
Is it the consensus here that a hood scoop never makes sense on any VX under any circumstance?

I mostly drive at elevations ranging from 5,000 to 13,000ft so it's possible my experience only pertains to high elevations. When I drove my WRX, performance of the 2.0 intercooled engine (before the turbo kicked in) was solid for an AWD heavy car. Maybe at high elevations, intercooling makes such a difference, as an already oxygen starved engine gets denser, oxygen richer, cool air. The few times I drove at lower elevations and before turbo lag, it seems like performance was strong as well. I'm a big fan of intercoolers. A performance mod that saves gas.

I think some of the problem is that some want a smooth hood while most want it with a scoop. There's others, that don't have a reason to upgrade as they only want performance mods. I believe that a hoodscoop is rice, unless it is functional. But I'm a big fan of a functional scoop.

Even if forced induction or engine compartment cooling doesn't warrant the upgrade, couldn't the scoop be made to cool an intercooler with the air intake in the fender? Someone could design a I/C system, either available for NA or SC engines, with a high-performance filter and housing, with a fender intake. I think then we would have a great reason to have a scoop.

So people just wanting the visual of a scoop would be happy, and those that want a performance mod would be happy as well. Intercoolers are fairly cheap, and I know we have some engineers or just really knowledgeable members here that could come up with a system. The other advantage of this mod is you wouldn't have to do it all at once, so it would be approachable for more people. If we timed it with income tax return time, it may help as well.

I'd be one that probably wouldn't bother with the upgrade, unless I could go all the way, and then I'd be super excited about it. So what do you say Jofotoz, do we revive this thread?

FlyingV77
10/09/2010, 03:10 AM
can they make a full set of CF cladding as well?

mrtew
10/09/2010, 11:07 AM
can they make a full set of CF cladding as well?

Now we're talking!

RallyDude
10/09/2010, 09:02 PM
Those would be extremely expensive. I don't see 20 of us to commit to that one. The molds are obviously way more complex.

vt_maverick
10/11/2010, 11:51 AM
Maybe at high elevations, intercooling makes such a difference, as an already oxygen starved engine gets denser, oxygen richer, cool air.

I thought air was thinner at higher elevations?

Intercoolers are fairly cheap, and I know we have some engineers or just really knowledgeable members here that could come up with a system.

Maybe jdm_monkey would know? He's working on designing a turbo kit in his spare time, which I'm sure includes an intercooler.

RallyDude
10/11/2010, 07:07 PM
You are right, air is thinner at high elevations. Cooling the air makes it denser, and therefore it has more oxygen. My point is, maybe this effect is more evident at high elevations?

Ascinder
10/11/2010, 08:23 PM
I see your logic there, but the fact is that the air gets thinner before it gets cooler. Any benefits taper off pretty quickly. Otherwise you'd see piston driven prop planes flying a lot higher(like jet higher). Many old WWII fighters were supercharged and intercooled and it only got them so far. Also intercooling as a gas saver? I never heard of that one. From my understanding the denser air charge is used to allow the turbochargers compressed/heated air to cool down and become denser so more fuel could be burned. As far as the scoop/ no scoop argument. Has anyone thought about the consequences of all the miscellaneous debris that's going to end up in your engine bay? I would think an induction style would make a lot more sense from a functional/ease of use standpoint. Looks about as cool too.

RallyDude
10/11/2010, 10:34 PM
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. You lose MPG as you go up in altitude. An intercooler does make the air denser, so I guess it would be comparable to driving at a lower elevation.

But I do agree, for me, it's not about driving conservatively. The intercooler provides more oxygen, so that I can use more skinny pedal for the turbo or supercharger. I think in and of itself, the intercooler provides more oxygen, and if used conservatively, would aid in MPG. I know some people that own Turbos on the 92x site, but drive it below boost, so they can run regular gas, and they do report very good gas mileage. To me, it sounds a little ridiculous. Kind of like buying full skid plates, but not wanting to take it off-road.

RallyDude
10/11/2010, 10:38 PM
I'm guessing if tested, more hydrocarbons would come out of a NA vehicle compared to one outfitted with a IC. If the IC provides a more complete burn, you would expect better performance and better MPG. Before you decide to floor it anyway.

WormGod
10/12/2010, 07:16 AM
Heck, I would drop the $$ for C/F cladding. Just to shave the weight. But ya, the issue is getting enough interest cause those molds would be pretty insane and not worth the time without enough inventory interest.

I would still be down for a C/F insert (another one), but I am probably in the minority since I want extraction, not induction.

Ascinder
10/12/2010, 10:05 AM
Isn't an induction hood the same as an extraction hood? You do realize an induction hood isn't the one with a forward facing scoop right? An induction hood helps pull air out of the engine bay, not catch it and ram it in lke a scoop.

WormGod
10/13/2010, 06:56 AM
I personally realize that but worded it like that since most here have always understood it that way (I'm an old dog here). Just so folks understand.

I have a "ram air" scoop (Ala WRX) currently, and it is useless. The older Evo 8-9 venting is pretty ideal for my application.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/VL-ET-1.jpg

joshi
10/13/2010, 08:02 AM
I have a quote from...

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/exterior-parts-hoods-c-30_1838.html?gclid=CL3M_pa76pkCFRFWagodPEZwRw

Carbon fiber Hood Insert...manufactured by Seibon.

I will send them an insert , they make a mold and do a run of 20.

Cost...approx $330 per....very competitive with OEM metal price.

Payment up front will be required...to cover my butt!

Please indicate via poll if SERIOUSLY interested.

jo

can they make a complete hood as well?

Bob Barker
10/13/2010, 10:17 AM
For your left arm and first born I'm sure they could make any shape out of carbon fiber! But it's gonna be 'spensive! I looked into a cf hood for my Mach once, priced around $700, and that was a semi mass produced hood! Can't imagine the price tag for a one off hood!

vt_maverick
10/13/2010, 10:44 PM
I have a "ram air" scoop (Ala WRX) currently, and it is useless. The older Evo 8-9 venting is pretty ideal for my application.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/VL-ET-1.jpg

Saw a G35 Coupe in LA outfitted with one of these type hoods, and the owner claimed it dropped the average temperature in the engine bay down by around 100 degrees. Probably would be great for guys with superchargers.

RallyDude
10/14/2010, 12:15 AM
100 degrees sounds like a lot, but it looks like that would be achieved as a combination of the large air dam and the hood. It does look cool. Good, the VX was starting to look too normal.

It would be nice if we could agree on something that was a performance mod rather than purely aesthetic. Weight savings would be nominal.

There are a number of manufacturers of reproduction hood tachs that were used by GM during the muscle car era. I wish there was a universal hood tach that was on the market. My first two cars were GTO's, and I always wanted one, but not too many were outfitted that way.

WormGod
10/14/2010, 07:09 AM
Saw a G35 Coupe in LA outfitted with one of these type hoods, and the owner claimed it dropped the average temperature in the engine bay down by around 100 degrees. Probably would be great for guys with superchargers.

Ya, 100 sounds pretty damned high unless he had Mr Fusion under the lid. ;)

As far as the design of the hood in the pic, I am just interested in the center flow, not so much the gills over the strut towers. That is bordering rice/too busy for me. That central section could be fitted to work within the confines of the insert and you can either cut your hood for some functionality or keep as is for looks. Of course, suggestions would also include some sort of meshing to keep debris out of the bay.

Just saying.... I have an extra insert and have been looking for that style of fixture to attempt fabbing on my own, but crap-for-all is online, and when you find what you want, it's C/F. It's been a lose/lose so far.

vt_maverick
10/14/2010, 09:23 AM
I read a review of the guy's car in a pretty reputable tuner magazine, too bad I threw those away when I sold my G35. :( I'll dig around the net and see if I can find the article, I'm pretty sure he had the temp measured at a dyno shop to verify the results.

vt_maverick
10/14/2010, 09:41 AM
Well I spent 20 minutes searching, that's about all of my life I intend to spend on it. :laughy: I will say that it's far more likely that a vented hood would make a big difference on a G35 than on a VX, as the distance between the top of the engine and hood is like 1" or less, as opposed to where we probably have at least 3-4 inches. To put that in perspective, adding an Eaton style top-mount SC to a G35 requires you to cut the hood open or buy a "bubbled" hood to make it work, whereas we don't have to do anything of the sort to make the Alpine system fit. Guys that do this cooling business take the engine cover off, remove the heat wrap from the bottom of the hood, replace the hood with full CF, and then add 6-8 vents. It doesn't make a ton of difference sitting still, but supposedly it does wonders for removing heat when moving because the vacuum created between the intake and the vents pulls the heat out.

WormGod
10/15/2010, 07:04 AM
No doubt it draws the heat out, but we do still want to keep some heat in and the majority of moisture out. That is the trick when designing a functional flow. You draw too much heat out, your engine will dread colder weather. But, I seriously don't think you could possibly reach the speeds where this would be a factor, heh.

As for moisture, it's really not a big deal, but I don't think you want so much that it manages to soak your wiring/electrical and puddle up wherever it can. Bad enough I have had rodents chew some wiring a couple of times.... but I don't want to track down a short because of moisture. I can at least see where the little buggers chewed away, heh.

It's tricky when you want functional. You want looks, hell, you can just browse the web and pick up any stick-on POS you come across and call it a day.

BOARZHEAD
07/07/2011, 10:50 PM
I hate the heat we r having here in az. 104-116. I love cold alaska weather. But just saying that my vx running in this heat stop and go traffic with ac on still runs at correct temp and even with lower fan shroud removed due to body lift:yesy:

gergmon
07/11/2011, 03:01 PM
Wish I could say the same, this heat with the A/C on im starting to run hot! =o\

VX KAT
07/12/2011, 09:12 AM
Wish I could say the same, this heat with the A/C on im starting to run hot! =o\
ditto, when it was 100 here, if I wasn't moving, temp jumped up to max really quickly.

VXjunky
09/27/2011, 09:23 AM
id want a Velvet Elvis on one

Ala5ka
02/03/2012, 10:01 AM
I was just thinking "how can I reduce my field of view in my VX even more? Fake rear window, massive A pillars....massive hood scoop!" hahaha or you could just pull a Ricky Bobby

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/50314_2207218389_5842_n.jpg