PDA

View Full Version : VX Timing Belt And Front End Maintenance

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 09:51 AM
Hey everyone,

Last night I finished my Timing Belt "how-to". This took me almost as long as it did to do the job so I hope it gets some use!!!!

For those of you who have experience with this already, and if you have the time, please read through my tutorial and let me know if I am missing anything or if I made any gross mistakes.

The timing belt and water pump swap is really not that hard. You will need the time, tools and know how, but it is a rewarding maintenance step to do yourself and if you are like me you will feel good about getting it done and doing it on your own.

When you do stuff like this yourself, you know it is done right and you can take the opportunity to clean things properly and go the extra mile. Most regular mechanics will not do anything extra and frankly, you simply don't know what they did. As the old saying goes, "if you want something done right, do it yourself". :D

Any feedback on this tutorial would be greatly appreciated. And I will be making a PDF of it soon for the How-To section of this forum when it is done.

I also made a few updates to the LINKS page on VX Madness. I've wanted to add more links for a long time, but I was just lazy. If you have a VX site that is not linked or if you know of any other cool ones, let me know and I will add your page.

Here are the links:

Timing Belt How-To (http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/how-tos/tb/tbelt.htm)

VX Madness (http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/myvx.htm)

Thanks - Bart

Travelin2
04/16/2009, 10:17 AM
Bart; Very well done! My Proton has 98,000 plus miles so I will be putting your info to good use soon. I like the code words you used on the second line of the Disassembly section. You said "Stay Focused". I'm thinking that is code for "No Beer till Finished".;) If we ever meet up I'm buyin':_beer:

MSHardeman
04/16/2009, 10:29 AM
Bart,

That write up is uber extensive. I was a little apprehensive about doing this kind of thing myself, but with your write up printed out right next to me I am confident that I can pull this off. Looks like part of my tax return will be going towards replacement parts, and one of my weekends will be going to a timing belt replacement.

Kudos to you!!

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys. I'm glad it will get some use. A lot of tutorials out there don't have any photos, or only few photos, or worse, few crappy photos. :) So, I tried to remedy this with my tutorial.

And, as an added bonus, for you good people of VehiCROSS.info, I am willing to be at the ready with my cel phone when you decide to do your timing belts in case you have additional questions. Just PM me. I know it would have helped me when doing mine if I had a trusty VXer on the other line to ask questions to.

Now, go get the parts and do your VX a favor!! :thumbup:

Bart

Ldub
04/16/2009, 10:34 AM
As an added incentive, you could include a ballpark figure of how much green stuff (not antifreeze) you $aved...:yes:

Maybe some folks who have had this done by a shop, would be so kind as to po$t up what it co$t them...:_wrench:---:_confused

Oh, & by the way...WELL DONE BART !
The effort you put into the documentation will be aprecated by many, for years to come!:thumbup:

VX crazy
04/16/2009, 10:39 AM
Just last year on my 'original' VX I had the timing belt done at a german auto shop....LOL....anyway for timing belt, water pump and pulley and all that was like $950 and I requested the german guy that owns the shop do it for me, he must think I am crazy! I need to get this VX done next year sometime...

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 10:48 AM
Just last year on my 'original' VX I had the timing belt done at a german auto shop....LOL....anyway for timing belt, water pump and pulley and all that was like $950 and I requested the german guy that owns the shop do it for me, he must think I am crazy! I need to get this VX done next year sometime...

Wait, was that with the parts or just for the labor? I think I heard someone say they got theirs done for only $350 labor, but I can't remember. If you add up the cost of all the parts I ordered from Merlin, plus the serp belt and coolant, it is damn near $800 just for the stuff! So, after that painful charge to my credit card, I wasn't about to pay some unknown grease monkey to do this job. I simply HAD to do it myself. :) I also spent more money on additional tools I didn't have, but I like buying tools! :rolleyes:

Bart

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 10:50 AM
As an added incentive, you could include a ballpark figure of how much green stuff (not antifreeze) you $aved...:yes:

Hopefully I saved some money, and hopefully others will save some money (and confusion) with my tutorial. And speaking of EC, where do I dump the old stuff? Does AutoZone take old coolant as well as old oil???

Oh, & by the way...WELL DONE BART !
The effort you put into the documentation will be aprecated by many, for years to come!:thumbup:

Thanks, Dub! I hope so!!!

;) Bart

PS - Glad to see you posting. I hope things are drying up for you! :_beer:

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 10:54 AM
By the way, my VX is not leaking any more coolant as of this moment!!! :rotate:

Bart

VCrossfan
04/16/2009, 10:57 AM
GREAT JOB BART ! ! ! :_beer::thumbup::_beer:

VX crazy
04/16/2009, 11:02 AM
Wait, was that with the parts or just for the labor? I tihnk I heard someone say they got theirs done for only $350 labor, but I can't remember. If you add up the cost of all the parts I order from Merlin, plus the serp belt and coolant, it is damn near $800 just for the stuff! So, after that painful charge to my credit card, I wasn't about to pay some unknown grease monkey to do this job. I simply HAD to do it myself. :) I also spent more money on additional tools I didn't have, but I like buying tools! :rolleyes:

Bart

That was out the door everything......the dealership wanted like $1300 or something and Pampered Auto here in Austin got me a better price, believe me I was asking about prices of every part.....I did get a discount because of Tone and this shop gave all mercedes owners a discount.

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 11:10 AM
That was out the door everything......the dealership wanted like $1300 or something and Pampered Auto here in Austin got me a better price, believe me I was asking about prices of every part.....I did get a discount because of Tone and this shop gave all mercedes owners a discount.

Yeah, I think the parts are the real cost of this maintenance. Any seasoned mechanic can probably bang this out in a day and will most likely only charge you $300-$500 for the labor. Still, I am happy about saving any money doing it myself! Plus it was fun and a tremendous learning experience. Just yesterday I was reading one of my old posts about leaking coolant and I was asking the forum where the overflow tank was located!!! :eek: So all I can say is that over the last few years I have learned A BOATLOAD about my VX and cars in general! :thumbup:

Bart

slutty22
04/16/2009, 11:58 AM
here is a vid on you tube could prove usefull, I havent watched it in its entireity yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhNOVl1Tcc

kodiak
04/16/2009, 01:17 PM
Outstanding write up Bart! Very detailed and easy to understand, you’re a natural at technical writing.:work:

here is a vid on you tube could prove usefull, I havent watched it in its entireity yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhNOVl1Tcc

Man, who keeps putting deermagnets videos on YouTube?;)

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 02:06 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Outstanding write up Bart! Very detailed and easy to understand, you’re a natural at technical writing.:work:

Thanks, Richard! Yeah, after I figured this out, I knew I just had to do the write-up. The manual is ridiculously vague and the videos are not so great either. I mean, they make it look like a 5 minute job to remove the old belt and replace it with a new one. The video MAKES NO MENTION of the spring loaded camshaft pulleys going to 12 o'clock and I just can't believe that! :eek:

Bart

Mark B
04/16/2009, 02:48 PM
Excellent write up.
I still have a way to go before my timing belt, but I am making a copy of your write up for future use.
Great job.

pbkid
04/16/2009, 04:16 PM
wow...very well done!

if i ever need to do a timing belt this is definately gonna get printed out! :cool:

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys!!!

And hey, Ldub, I forgot to mention, I used a bunch of your rags & towels that you "gave me" with the coffin! So you helped too! ;) There is even a photo of one of them in there!

Bart

PK
04/16/2009, 04:54 PM
Bart,
first off, bloody well done. Your write up is very detailed.

Now -

And, as an added bonus, for you good people of VehiCROSS.info, I am willing to be at the ready with my cel phone when you decide to do your timing belts in case you have additional questions. Just PM me. I know it would have helped me when doing mine if I had a trusty VXer on the other line to ask questions to.

Bart

How do you feel about 02.00 AM phone calls from Aussie land??:bgwo::bgwg:

PK

ScottinMA
04/16/2009, 06:12 PM
Bart,

Amazing! Incredible contribution to the family. And the satisfaction of doing this all on your own. If you lived nearby I would certainly want to give you beer! But, in all sincerity, NICE JOB!