PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years Ago Today

dietz99vcross
04/15/2009, 05:17 PM
Wow, It doesn't seem like it, but ten years ago today I got the keys to my VX. As I remember back...

The first week was great except for backing out of the gas station area and nailing some old beater that was in my blindspot (Thats when I really started using those side mirrors)

The next few years I enjoyed the early morning commute with no traffic, no on or off ramps and a cement divide between the east and west lanes (read high speed driving) and playing with my first ever 4x4 in the parking lot snowbanks watching the snow fly over the hood as I returned from the yard area into the lot (only to find out that the snow freezes inside the wheel and scares the crap out of you the next time you go for a drive).

Then heartbreak as the engine blows up at 36,005 miles and the dealer blames me for not having any oil in it (Oh to have the 100,000 warranty of the 00's and 01's). When I explain that they are the ones who have done the oil changes and all he needs to do is open the glovebox for the receipts they suddenly decide to cover the $7,000 tab. Two days after getting it back the flywheel snaps (The dealer apologizes as they put a rush on fixing it)

Other than the common issues many of us have (sagging windows, blower motor, hood latch, and abs sensor) I am amazed at the longevity of some of the other parts of this vehicle.

I have yet to have to replace a single bulb, headlight,interior, brakelight, nothing. I keep thinking I should replace the original battery but every freaking sub-zero morning here in Michigan the dang thing has started without a single hesitation.

So I had a few issues but overall I have loved the last ten years of VX ownership and can only hope for another ten with the VX and this website. Thanks to all of you for helping to keep the fire lit. Mike

deermagnet
04/15/2009, 05:39 PM
Mike, that's fantastic! I was recently thinking about starting a thread looking for the first ten year owner, 'cuz it is that time already. You're our first member to hit ten years!

I have just over eleven months to go for the coveted ten year original owner honor. There should be more showing up in the next few months and a whole bunch by this time next year.

Again, nice job, Mike. The first ten is the hardest. Just think, you'll probably be our first twenty year owner! :)

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) :_steering

Gussie2000
04/15/2009, 06:13 PM
It's great how loyalty can go that far.

I can't imagine driving the same car that long,however i believe this truck deserves such love.

If few isuzu executives was able to read this post they'll ashame to know that out here is people who do enjoy their creation & return that loyalty by at least saying "THANK YOU" but rather left all of us fighting against so many things that we got to deal with;Lack of parts,support,low resale value,honest dealers,etc.

rowhard
04/15/2009, 06:18 PM
WOW, is all I can say Mike and having grown up in Benton Harbor, I know what those Michigan winters are like. Am amazed it isn't a rust heap. In fact, this morning while driving the express bus between Olympia and Tacoma Washington, I saw this Ford P.U., and it had these chrome step bars, and they were rust heaps, then I saw the Michigan Lic Plate and said, Oh yea, SALT.

deermagnet
05/27/2009, 07:51 PM
I'm just giving this a bump as we're looking for US ten year owners. We still only have one confirmed here. Don't be shy. When ya hit ten years please let us know about it. There must be a few more out there by now.

Mark

don moore
05/28/2009, 07:26 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! 10 years of ownership and only 36 posts on this forum - you gotta a problem, man! ;) How many miles are on the VX now?

lol......i had my MARLIN for 12 years ..does that count
:p

Ldub
05/28/2009, 07:32 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! 10 years of ownership and only 36 posts on this forum - you gotta a problem, man! ;) How many miles are on the VX now?

He's got a problem, I've got the reverse problem...:rolleyesg...:bla:

What's that make YOU?...normal?...:confused:...:laughgray

Ldub
05/28/2009, 07:38 AM
BUAAHAHA! OH, GOD NO! It makes me equally unique yet perfectly flawed! :bgwo:

:thumbup:...:yes:

Moncha
05/28/2009, 08:30 AM
Wow, it is that time... I'm coming up on mine as well. This has been made into it's own category as the stories will be priceless and I don't want to get them lost.

dietz99vcross
05/28/2009, 11:55 AM
Fair enough, I will admit 36 posts is lame. Put me in the category of someone who loves all the info and uses the forum for guidance in many areas (window fix, blower issue, tire selection) and is the quiet guy in the background.

But I will commit here and know to becoming more active in posts, I may even get around to posting some photos (10 Michigan winters can help you identify the rust areas that are growing)

As for mileage....129,000 every day daily drving.

DLana
05/28/2009, 02:12 PM
Happy Anniversary!!!

LittleBeast
05/28/2009, 02:15 PM
I was about to graduate high school, lol ;)

WormGod
06/01/2009, 07:34 AM
Had I still had my dragon, I would be very close to 10. ;)

logman
08/13/2009, 09:23 PM
I also live in michigan, and am debating parking my vehicross for the winter.... I just don't want it to rust!! this will be its first winter. I love it too much to let the salt eat away at its beauty. Maybe michigan wont have the money to salt the roads this winter??? we can only hope :bgwb:

It is good to see yours has lasted 10 years and is still running strong! I wish I could say that about other vehicles.

SuperDave
10/22/2009, 02:33 PM
I drove my brand spanking new VX off the dealer's lot on October 15, 1999. I bought it outright for $13K when the lease ended and have had no regrets. At 79K miles it remains all stock except for a Pioneer N2 touchscreen GPS/rear videocam/CD/MP3/DVR/surround sound system with Jensen speakers/subwoofer, Geolander ATS tires and a debadged rear hatch. I've experienced all the congenital birth defects except terminal engine failure. It has been through ten Buffalo winters and is still turning heads.

digital_will
11/11/2010, 09:45 AM
I bought my vehicross 10 years ago today as a dealer demo. It had 4k miles on it and I paid 23k for it. I had wanted one since I first saw it. It now has 175,622 miles on it and still runs pretty well. The transmission was replaced under warranty at 50k miles due to some real minor hiccup and that is the only major mechanical problem I have had so far. I've had the ABS module go bad, the CD changer go bad, and the driver's side power window doesn't track very well but I consider those things minor. It has survived a deer strike as well as parking lot strike due to someone in way too much of a hurry backing out. All in all a very good vehicle.

vt_maverick
11/11/2010, 05:23 PM
Congrats Will! Got any pics of your baby?

Moncha
11/12/2010, 09:35 AM
Yea! Another old timer!! Love to see it and with so little problems! Congratulations!

digital_will
11/15/2010, 10:32 AM
Here's a couple of pics. One from today and the other from the parking lot incursion. Hope it make it to 200,000+!

vt_maverick
11/15/2010, 12:11 PM
Yikes on that second pic, glad you got it fixed! Have you tried the TS-1 stuff on your cladding? I just put a second coat on mine yesterday and it looks great, might do a good job of evening out the new bumper with the rest of the vehicle.

Congrats again! Original owners make me jealous...

digital_will
11/19/2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks! I think that many miles ago I would have tried to keep the cladding looking fresh and the car waxed and polished but now I just let it roll. It can wear these imperfections as badges of honor and a testament to how long it has been on rolling.

dietz99vcross
04/24/2014, 08:41 AM
My how time flies. Last week made 15 years of ownership. And 15 years of Michigan's winters, but the VX is doing fine.

Mile High VX
04/24/2014, 05:04 PM
Congrats on your 15 years.

How many miles do you have?

Any extraordinary issues other than the normal VX fare?

I'm looking forward to hitting 6 this year.

Still love it!

magda76
08/21/2014, 02:25 PM
I got mine in fall of 1999 in Dallas Texas...It's been to SD to ABQ and now it's headed back to SD...I'm sad though cause today I broke down. Its never let me down in 15 years of ownership. It's the first car I ever owned and I'm not going to give it up...even if it's a bit beat up.
Magda
ABQ NM

dietz99vcross
09/06/2017, 01:48 PM
Well lets see.....18 years 4 months 3 weeks and 1 day and it just rolled 200,000 miles on the drive home. Average yearly mileage has dropped as I find myself using the wives 2014 Mazda during her off days more and more. averaged about 13,000/year the first decade and about 7500/year since then. I guess I haven't done any long trips with it lately either.