PDA

View Full Version : People keep messing with my VX

Thmstec
04/15/2009, 11:30 AM
So two days ago my girlfriend decided to cover my car in post it notes while I was studying at the library... :rolleyes:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3580/3445470126_6350186470.jpg
To my surprise, those little buggers will hold on past 50 mph!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/3445469710_5993e2d802.jpg

But just last night, got hit with a water balloon :mad:
Luckily I was able to find the hooligans, and they are promising to pay for the damages. Still a PITA though.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3444651607_d82dedf9ae.jpg

circmand
04/15/2009, 11:32 AM
have the cops arrest the hooligans. You need to set priorities

nfpgasmask
04/15/2009, 11:38 AM
Dude, a WATER BALLOON did that kinda damage??? :eek:

I'm sorry, but anyone who messes with my VX is an automatic enemy.

Bart

Gussie2000
04/15/2009, 11:51 AM
Dude, a WATER BALLON did that kinda damage??? :eek:

Bart

That can't be a water balloon,at least not filled with water.
The stickers aren't a big deal though but how can anyone just decide to throw any thing at someone else's private property in the 1srt place ?
Sorry man for the bad moment.

PittVXr
04/15/2009, 11:59 AM

I don't know, that looks like WAY too much damage for it to be just a water balloon. I hope they have to pay for the damage. Gotta learn some responsibility for one's actions. :sighg:

vt_maverick
04/15/2009, 12:01 PM

Bart

+1. Must have been something harder inside to make it travel farther (rock maybe?)

MSHardeman
04/15/2009, 12:05 PM
I think the Post It note prank is hillarious. At least they where smart enough to confine them mostly to the windows. I also like the fact that you drove around with them on.:p

As for the damage.....someone has to die!! I can't believe that a water balloon did that. That's crazy.

I'm with Bart...if you so much as look at the VX wrong we're going to have problems. Heck, I've lost girlfriends over that car because they thought that I loved the car more than them (they where right).

Gussie2000
04/15/2009, 12:18 PM
Heck, I've lost girlfriends over that car because they thought that I loved the car more than them (they where right).[/QUOTE]

I told my girl not to challenge my preferences because she will ended losing.period

JHarris1385
04/15/2009, 12:22 PM
How are you ok with that damage...thats is not going to be easiest repair. Call the cops becuase once they get the bill I am sure they are not going to want to pay.

BTW - it was not a water ballon - you should know that.

Thmstec
04/15/2009, 01:04 PM
Post-it notes:
Driving around with the post it notes on was hilarious. Almost every single person just stopped in their tracks and stared. And I should share that we have a fun little "poke war" going on. She decided to take it outside of facebook, and she wrote "POKE" on the car with some car paint. Then I covered her room in post it notes with "poke" written on them. Each of those post-its on the car had "poke" written on them too.

Water Balloon:
First of all, it was most definitely just a water balloon, filled with nothing but water. It was a small water balloon though, thrown from a 3rd story balcony. I think what caused the extent of the damage was a combination of things. I was going about 30 miles per hour, and at the exact moment I got hit with the water balloons, the front wheels where hitting a speed bump. So the car was being pushed upward, and the small balloon will cause more damage than a larger balloon... But yea, I'm still amazed that it caused the damage.

I found the guys who were tossing them, I wasn't the only car they hit-- hopefully the only one that took damage though. Took down all their pertinent information. I'm not going to sue, cause they are promising to pay for the damage, just going to write up a document and have them sign that they are paying for the damages... So thats all good, still a PITA to deal with.

LittleBeast
04/15/2009, 01:44 PM
Perfect opportunity to get some clear corner tinted side markers :)

Thmstec
04/15/2009, 02:13 PM
Perfect opportunity to get some clear corner tinted side markers :)

I was thinking exactly that :p

MashyMan
04/15/2009, 02:16 PM
frozen water baloon?

JHarris1385
04/15/2009, 02:35 PM
Still highly doubt it was just a water balloon - its science.

circmand
04/15/2009, 02:51 PM
balloons were of a thicker quality latex it could have done this. Remember Kramers hull protectant ballon to prevent oil spills.

rowhard
04/15/2009, 02:59 PM
That does suck and roger on turning their sore butts over to the police. Good news for you. When I had the body work done in Jan following the car port collapse, Merlin said that there were a lot of front fenders in the supply :)system

Riff Raff
04/15/2009, 04:21 PM
I think the Post It note prank is hillarious. At least they where smart enough to confine them mostly to the windows. I also like the fact that you drove around with them on.:p

As for the damage.....someone has to die!! I can't believe that a water balloon did that. That's crazy.

I'm with Bart...if you so much as look at the VX wrong we're going to have problems. Heck, I've lost girlfriends over that car because they thought that I loved the car more than them (they where right).

x2. I've told many a girl in the past-- "if you make me choose; you're gonna lose!" As far as the hooligans, please inform their parents of a death in their immediate families. Don't call the cops; call the coronor.

rowhard
04/15/2009, 07:43 PM
x2. As far as the hooligans, please inform their parents of a death in their immediate families. Don't call the cops; call the coronor.

I do love the way you put things:)

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/15/2009, 08:38 PM
Sorry about your problems...but this is EXACTLY why I "themed" my VX with the skulls & crossbones...you touch...you die!:eek:

let the chanting begin..........mythbusters....Mythbusters.....MYTH BUSTERS!!!!

JoFotoz
04/15/2009, 09:21 PM
Umm harris...

BTW - it was not a water ballon - you should know that.

...take a good look at the pic.

Bust balllllloooonnnn ...

...on the wing.

I agree its hard to believe...

..but he was there...and so is the evidence.

Why dispute it ...:confused:

jo

WormGod
04/16/2009, 08:48 AM
Umm harris...

...on the wing.

jo

Don't need to prove it to us. Disputing it would only be an issue with an insurance company. It's getting them to believe it that will be the challenge, heh. ;)

SlowPro48
04/16/2009, 09:26 AM
:eek:

Must have been one of those sharp, square-edged water balloons. Check out the crease it made...

Glad it didn't hit a person! Could have been deadly. Or caused a concussion at the very least. Should buff right out of the VX though...

I dunno... I threw many a water balloon into a parking lot from a 4th floor balcony - hit many cars while aiming for the people hiding behind them - and never saw one cause any damage whatsoever. Could they have tossed something else and followed it up with a water balloon?

tom4bren
04/16/2009, 09:31 AM
I've seen a wet roll of TP crush a hood.

No - I wasn't the throw-ee.

I was the target. Glad they missed.

SlowPro48
04/16/2009, 10:05 AM
Yeah - I can see that happening. With wet TP there would be a fair amount of mass and it wouldn't compress much - so all the momentum would be concentrated in the area of a roll of toilet paper. With a balloon, it seems the energy would be dissipated since the balloon stretches and then breaks. Looks like the PSI delivered would be limited by how stretchy the balloon is. If the balloon hit a concave area and thus trapped the energy of the mass of water I can see how it would make a dent but still it wouldn't have the psi necessary to crease steel. If it hit a convex shape like the crown of a fender it seems like it would scatter the water and dissipate the momentum (in addition to the crown shape being structurally stronger) so it wouldn't even create a dent much less crease the sheet metal like that.

I'm not saying this couldn't happen, I'm just saying he might want to look around and see if there was something else thrown because if there wasn't then that is one FREAKY water balloon accident!

Ldub
04/16/2009, 10:52 AM
I think all y'all armchair scientists might be missing an unknown here...:_confused

Did the person filling the baloons have a water softener in good working order???

I rather doubt it...:rolleyesg

nfpgasmask
04/16/2009, 10:58 AM
Maybe it was a Water Grenade!

http://www.balloons123.com/images/products/thumbs/MF-53066P.jpg

:_wtf: Bart

Thmstec
04/16/2009, 11:06 AM
I can assure you guys it was only a water balloon, that crease in the middle is where the metal wrapped around the FRAME of the car :eek: There are no scratches anywhere around the impact... and the area was free of any gel-like or otherwise soft things that could've been thrown. I'm just glad that I won't have to be convincing insurance that a water balloon did it.

JHarris1385
04/16/2009, 11:08 AM
Umm harris...

...on the wing.

jo

.....Yeah I saw the same picture you did.

Slow..pro...went into detail.....

...I would say there was about a liter or less of water...at a rate of about...

....two pounds - max and that is saying this was a LARGE BALLOON....

Dropped from that height would do damage if it it was a solid.....

The fact that it is not a solid and the engery is spread over a wider contact area + the factor it hit one of the strongest points of metal -..

..I doubt it -

....Them saying they will pay for it..is as good as the paper it is written on.

Ikkesh
04/16/2009, 11:57 AM
Post-it notes:

Water Balloon:
First of all, it was most definitely just a water balloon, filled with nothing but water. It was a small water balloon though, thrown from a 3rd story balcony. I think what caused the extent of the damage was a combination of things. I was going about 30 miles per hour, and at the exact moment I got hit with the water balloons, the front wheels where hitting a speed bump. So the car was being pushed upward, and the small balloon will cause more damage than a larger balloon... But yea, I'm still amazed that it caused the damage.

Mythbusters?

Ikkesh
04/16/2009, 11:59 AM
Heavy water from a nuke reactor?

tom4bren
04/16/2009, 01:06 PM
"I'm just glad that I won't have to be convincing insurance that a water balloon did it."

We're convinced. It's just and interesting topic to speculate on:rolleyes:

WormGod
04/16/2009, 02:50 PM
I can assure you guys it was only a water balloon, that crease in the middle is where the metal wrapped around the FRAME of the car :eek:

Your frame runs clean up through your fender? One hell of a sturdy VX you must have there.

*poke poke nudge nudge* ;) :p

Still, I would have called police, no matter how cool those cats seemed and filed a vandalism report. No guarantee your damage will get repaired by those clowns. (though I think the cop would be asking the same questions we are, hahaha)

Mark B
04/16/2009, 02:55 PM
That must have been one BIG water balloon.

pbkid
04/16/2009, 04:00 PM
really rowhard?? i have been watching for a fender for a long time because i have been reluctant to fix my fender, but if they have a few of em, maybe ill talk to him and see what he can do for me...

That does suck and roger on turning their sore butts over to the police. Good news for you. When I had the body work done in Jan following the car port collapse, Merlin said that there were a lot of front fenders in the supply :)system

Thmstec
04/16/2009, 04:29 PM
Your frame runs clean up through your fender? One hell of a sturdy VX you must have there.

*poke poke nudge nudge* ;) :p

Still, I would have called police, no matter how cool those cats seemed and filed a vandalism report. No guarantee your damage will get repaired by those clowns. (though I think the cop would be asking the same questions we are, hahaha)

Ok, ok, you caught me. Its a super duper rare VX with lightweight aluminum body panels and an aluminum space frame :p

So frame isn't the right word for whatever it is behind the fender :o

Mythbusters?

How much damage can a water balloon really do?!

I'd just love to see when they go for maximum damage-- that would be a killer water balloon!

Thmstec
04/16/2009, 06:46 PM
A friend of mine recently referred me to this (http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/aug/19/man-faces-charges-water-balloon-throwing/) article about a 19 year old facing charges from "smashing" a windshield :eek: with a water balloon.

EDIT: And he just found this too...

In field trials, maximum water balloon velocities ranged from 38 to 41 m/sec (85 to 92 mph) with kinetic energies from 176 to 245 J; by calculation, maximum velocities ranged from 42 to 54 m/sec (95 to 121 mph) with kinetic energies from 141 to 232 J. In a field demonstration a 300-g water balloon launched horizontally from a distance of 20 ft exploded a 12-kg watermelon. Classic physics calculations are presented to explain the complex bio-mechanical interactions between the water balloon and the eye. CONCLUSION: Kinetic energies of launched water balloons are comparable to or greater than kinetic energies experienced with a variety of common objects, including file bullets, which are well known to cause serious ocular and orbital injuries.

circmand
04/17/2009, 08:10 AM
A friend of mine recently referred me to this (http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/aug/19/man-faces-charges-water-balloon-throwing/) article about a 19 year old facing charges from "smashing" a windshield :eek: with a water balloon.

EDIT: And he just found this too...

However the metal used in building a vehicle has baan shown to be stronger than the skin and fluid that make up the eye. The eye itself is a sort of water balloon so the two objects are similar. For a vehicle comparison you would need to crash two vehicles not a water balloon and a vehicle

vt_maverick
04/17/2009, 12:46 PM
This thread makes me want to hit myself in the face with a water balloon.

pbkid
04/17/2009, 01:51 PM

:thumbup:

please take a video!!!

circmand
04/17/2009, 02:05 PM

This thread makes me want to hit you with a water balloon too. BTW stay away from the eyes

VXIRONwoMAN
04/17/2009, 02:20 PM
It definitely looks like those punks filled the balloon with hard water... :laughing:

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/17/2009, 07:25 PM
You don't EVEN want to use my well water to fill up water balloons :p.....when I shower it feels as though I'm enduring a hail storm :eek:

You think "Mike's Hard Lemonade" is hard...try mine...lol.

Solitude
04/17/2009, 08:18 PM
its still that hard?.. I grew up in meadville and it was hard 30 years ago

AUPilot09
04/17/2009, 10:02 PM
I've seen the damage in person, I can believe that this was a waterballoon after the conversation and seeing the damage. Weirdest water balloon accident EVER.

Gussie2000
04/17/2009, 10:26 PM
Maybe it was a Water Grenade!

http://www.balloons123.com/images/products/thumbs/MF-53066P.jpg

:_wtf: Bart

Wow that's terrorist action man,call the FBI :eek:

SlowPro48
04/17/2009, 10:54 PM
I'm just glad that I won't have to be convincing insurance that a water balloon did it.

Amen to that, brother.

This comment reminds me of my first experience with crinkled sheet metal. Only it involved convincing Mom instead of the insurance company...

I was cruising home on I-40 in "The Blue Bastard", my first car - an MG Midget. The top was down - the temp was perfect - I was young and healthy - my teeth were shiny - I had a hot girlfriend with a really nice set of t..... teeth of her own - basically, the world was my oyster. Then all of a sudden a bunch of deer jumped out in front of me. I nailed the brakes and instead of that satisfying feeling of deceleration one hopes for when one stands on the brakes, my speed hardly changed at all - but my ears were met with a loud zzzzzzZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZzzzzz sound followed quickly by a thud as I smacked into a deer at 55mph. (This was when that shiny-toothed Jimmy Carter decided the hell with state's rights, I'm setting a national speed limit because you people need to save fuel and burn up your lives poking along the interstate instead)

Hmmm... Wha happen...?

Splines on those wire wheel hubs not quite up to par?

What did you expect for a $500 car...?

Let me tell you, a deer will mess up an MG Midget. But in an unexpected way. There was no damage whatsoever to the front of the car. The Midget was so low it went under the deer - the only thing the front hit was its skinny little legs - just took the deer's legs right out from under it and the heavy body fell further back near the cowl. It looked like a tree had fallen on it. I didn't have a problem with the insurance company but it took a long time to convince my mother that I'd hit a deer. She thought I'd rolled The Bastard and then got handfuls of fur off the German Shepard down the street and put it all over the car and made up a tale about hitting a deer so she wouldn't know I'd been driving recklessly...

OK that's my story for tonight. Carry on.

SlowPro48
04/17/2009, 10:58 PM
Wow that's terrorist action man,call the FBI :eek:

No need to call. They already know. They're watching Bart very, very closely.

:cool:

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/19/2009, 09:04 PM
its still that hard?.. I grew up in meadville and it was hard 30 years ago

I'm like 20 minutes north of Meadville...and to answer your question..yep ;)