PDA

View Full Version : K&N with or without Elbow mod?

kpaske
07/23/2003, 07:34 AM
I just purchased a Calmini filter for my beloved VX and am wondering if I should remove the airbox elbow when I do the install. I've heard a few people say that neither mod really gives much of an increase in horsepower or gas mileage (as compared to exhaust mods) and that removing the elbow allows much hotter air to enter the engine, which over time could be cause excessive wear. I know a number of folks have had one or more of these mods for some time now. Any advice or problems to report?

VX crazy
07/23/2003, 08:39 AM
removing the elbow will not increase the hot air, if you remove the entire box it will. I have noticed a little more power since removing the elbow about 9mo ago, and no problems.

kpaske
07/27/2003, 07:37 PM
OK, I've removed my airbox and installed my cone filter. Now removing that elbow in the fender doesn't seem like it would do much. Should I still remove it?

Cptnmorgan
07/28/2003, 05:59 AM
If you have installed a cone filter, then the elbow in the fender will not effect anything you have done. The elbow removal is for people who use the K&N drop-in filter which uses your stock airbox. Then the removal of the elbow allows for more air intake into the stock airbox. Hope that helps....

3C

kpaske
07/28/2003, 06:35 AM
Yeah, it's a Calmini cone filter, not a K&N... I don't know where my mind was when I posted! ;eekb; Anyhow, thanks, that does help.

Two questions: Does the K&N filter provide any performance gains on it's own (vs. the stock filter)? And is there any way to reduce the "hiss" the Calmini makes?

Navigator
07/28/2003, 08:07 AM
I noticed a great deal of diffence switching from a standard filter to the K&N drop in filter, my VX is plenty fast off the line. A new fuel filter makes a big difference as well, if you haven't changed it yet, you are due. Change the fuel filter every year or 12,000 miles, sooner won't hurt. PowerVault is my next mod.

Tone
07/28/2003, 11:00 AM
Elbow should still be removed to allow more air to flow in from the fender. I cut out a section around the stock inlet to allow even more air in and enlarged any opening I could find in the front core support to get some air in from the front. Hot air will NOT cause excessive or more wear.

Hiss is gonna happen with a cone filter as the sound is not muffled by the airbox (one of it’s primary designs). It will also be louder at initial start up than after the engine has warmed up.