PDA

View Full Version : Well ladies and gents...its dead for the time being.

Nerve_Gas
04/06/2009, 11:43 AM
Yesterday was a terrible day for me. I was driving down a two way two lane road when the woman in front of me desided to make some kind of u-turn in the middle of the road. I braked and tried to avoid hitting her but she just kept coming. So my passenger side front quarter hit her driver side door. My fender is crushed, the head light and turn signal are destroyed, the bumper is cracked to crap, the streering is obliterated, the hood is shoved to the driver side, and the suspension is all messed up. And to top it all off the cop desided that it was a "no fault" (i.e. she didn't feel like doing paper work). So its up to my insurance to cover it. My trucks assesed value is only $5,100. So this will probably total it out. Just thought I would let everyone know.

CoastieCosta567
04/06/2009, 11:52 AM
no way, sorry to hear that bro.I can't stand when people don't admitt and follow with their actions, man well Karma will be at hand. Sorry bro and I hope we don't see your sick rig in the "oh SH!7 list". Good luck Bratha.

Marlin
04/06/2009, 11:54 AM
That is horrible. Your pics are one of the reasons I got my Vx.

tom4bren
04/06/2009, 12:08 PM
Dang - & I was really wanting to meet the beast. Hope she's not totaled & you can get her back on the road.

Tom

kodiak
04/06/2009, 12:37 PM
Crap!!!! Sorry man. If you decide to keep it you might be able to get another VX and transfer you’re mods over with out spending any extra money. Hopefully your insurance company doesn’t try and screw you.:(

Travelin2
04/06/2009, 12:45 PM
Boy thats really tough luck. Hopefully the bids are such that the insurance company will repair it.Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome. John

pbkid
04/06/2009, 12:59 PM
wow, thats really too bad!

i got hit in the same spot, just replaced a bunch of stuff and mine is still a little off but it works...

keep us updated!

JoFotoz
04/06/2009, 01:06 PM
That suxs...

I'm with Kodiak...get insurance money..swap your parts to a another one...

...and end up with a heap of useful spares too.

Hope it works out.

jo

MSHardeman
04/06/2009, 01:09 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. When any VX gets hurt it's terrible news, but when such a bad arse VX gets bit it's doubly painful. Hope you can get it back on the road soon.

Triathlete
04/06/2009, 01:18 PM
Actually buy a new one...buy back old one for spare parts and the rear lift, tires and wheels then spend the rest on that SAS!!!!!!!!!!:bgwo:

Sorry to see one of the big boys go down!

LittleBeast
04/06/2009, 01:33 PM
AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry!!!!! That is one of my nightmares! Keep us posted on what you decide to do, good luck with everything hope it works out as well as it can for you. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

KeithVXlvr
04/06/2009, 01:46 PM
Crazy !!!! Stupid driver....

That is why mine is going into the garage and I'm goin back to my Honda CRV for the daily driver!!!

Sorry to hear about it....... You should have run her over. :_beer:

Gussie2000
04/06/2009, 02:00 PM
That is F messed up.
The police didn't want to fill paper work & plea "no fault"? What kind of BS is it ? I don't get it,i mean,if there's a accident police report must be done,you can't choose that unless you guys have another kind of insurance regulations set up over there.You guys better explain that to me.

Sorry to see another VX bite the dirt man,your VX is the BIG FOOT of the lineage.

I'm sad,very sad

VX crazy
04/06/2009, 02:02 PM
Messed up! So sorry to hear that! IF you get yours back and need parts, I have all the cosmetic stuff you need......

Joe_Black
04/06/2009, 02:21 PM
Ouchy! :( Sorry to hear the news, I feel your pain. :mad: Starting to look more and more like specialty "insure to value" insurance will be the best choice for VX owners going forward. I have my antique trucks insured this way and it's way less expensive but I don't know how it would compare for a regular passenger vehicle.

Can you request a review on the no-fault assessment by the responding officer? I've heard of this in some circles but maybe some of our esteemed LEO family here can chime in with any avenues you may have.

In any case, hope you find a clear path!

WormGod
04/06/2009, 02:26 PM
She must have been in an Escalade or a Tahoe man, cause if she were in a car, I would think your VX would have climbed her like the monkey bars, heh.

Sucks man.... hope you fund a way to bring her back from life support. Don't pull that plug. ;)

Nerve_Gas
04/06/2009, 03:41 PM
Well she was in a pathfinder or something similar. The beast tried to climb her car but I didn't push the throttle. It totally climbed from the ground to about a foot or so up her door though. This is like the worst end to some really hard times. First the missus leave me and all of that rubbish and now this...Thanks for the supposrt everyone it helps a lot.

JoFotoz
04/06/2009, 03:56 PM
Not a solution...just a suggestion given yer a photographer too.

How about...

Find a cutie..give her a sledgehammer...

....and shoot some pics for next years calendar.

Dark , mad maxish Pin Upie...:smack:....??!!

Just a thought...simply trying to find some plus, in a really negative situation.

jo

nfpgasmask
04/06/2009, 04:09 PM
Dude, that sucks. Good thing you are ok though. I would definitely find another VX and carry on! If you somehow get this one for parts, let us know. I am still looking for a complete tailgate in good condition (Ebony of course).

Bart

tomdietrying
04/06/2009, 05:18 PM
Dude! Not another VX! You gotta save her somehow.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
Glad you're alright.

Sprey
04/06/2009, 06:09 PM
Gutted as for you :(

Hope your insurance goes through

Joe_Black
04/06/2009, 06:31 PM
Oh yeah, if they do total it out DEFINITELY ask about buy-back! When they totalled my CUCV after the roll-over I asked about buy-back and got the entire rig back for only $350, so it's in your best interest to pursue every avenue no matter how it goes. Don't get screwed!

don moore
04/06/2009, 09:04 PM
that sux.........Sorry for your loss.....:(

LittleBeast
04/21/2009, 09:53 AM
Any update? How are things? Once again we are all so sorry, let us know if we can do anything.

VXIRONwoMAN
05/22/2009, 09:43 AM
Gill and I are sitting here wondering how your baby is doing? We haven't seen you around. We are getting worried... Getting scuffing on the cladding in Moab is one thing, but damage from an idiot driver is something else. Hope we hear that your VX is back at Indy4x getting a makeover...

johnnyapollo
05/22/2009, 04:41 PM
That's just sickening...

-- John

Riff Raff
05/22/2009, 05:24 PM
Hmmm, I hate to say it folks. But, I think "NERVE GAS" has permanently faded away into the sunset. His insurance company probably totaled his VX; so he just cut his losses and has moved on with his life, thereby closing the book chapter on his VX (and Vehicross.Info) forever.

rowhard
05/22/2009, 06:28 PM
That is F messed up.
The police didn't want to fill paper work & plea "no fault"? What kind of BS is it ? I don't get it,i mean,if there's a accident police report must be done,you can't choose that unless you guys have another kind of insurance regulations set up over there.

As Brian said, Nerve Gas probable cut his losses and took the money and ran. My question is this. Is there a lesson in this for us?

Scott, (Moncha), Your the only copper I know to ask. I know you haven't done traffic since Jesus was a PFC, but do we have the right to demand a police report be written? Is there a benefit to having one written in case this should ever happen again to one of us?

Riff Raff
05/22/2009, 07:55 PM
As Brian said, Nerve Gas probable cut his losses and took the money and ran. My question is this. Is there a lesson in this for us?

ROWHARD, you asked if there was a lesson in this for us from the NERVE GAS incident??? You're damn right there is!!! It's called excessive "unsprung weight" in tires!!!

I just did a quick tire weight analysis of the huge NERVE GAS tires, and they weigh nearly 100 lbs each. Remember, our sporty and nimble VX's had OEM tires that weighed only 33--34 lbs each. NERVE GAS put on extremely heavy tires weighing nearly 70 lbs more over OEM or a whopping 280 lbs of extra unsprung weight (tire fat) for all four(4) tires. To further aggravate things, NERVE GAS made absolutely NO modifications to his OEM brakes (according to his list of modifications). Thus, when NERVE GAS asked his poor little VX to stop those big hefty tires in a panic emergency brake stop with the small OEM VX brakes; his VX politely replied "not today, soldier".

After all of those expensive modifications NERVE GAS made to make his VX "look good", it was actually the main cause of its demise. His highly modified VX wouldn't stop for *****, it wouldn't steer for *****; it was only good for hittin' *****.

The NERVE GAS incident is an clear cut example of why I keep harping on not installing excessively heavy tires with high "unsprung weight" on the light-n-nimble VX which has very small OEM brakes. Any aftermarket tire should not way more than 10 lbs over the OEM stock tire weight-- or 44 lbs maximum, if the VX is to be safely used on public roads. Any tire weighing more than 44 lbs on the VX puts your VX at risk, your life at risk, and the lives of the other drivers on the road at risk.

So, when shopping for new tires-- try to keep your maximum individual tire weight at no greater than 44 lbs each per tire and focus on tires that are "P-series" (aka: P-Metric). If you don't, you could easily end up exactly like NERVE GAS did (or worse, with someone being injured).

Excellent examples of lightweight All-Terrain "P-series" tires weighing 44 lbs or less are:

A: PRO-COMP - ALL TERRAIN in P285/60R18 (31.3" O.D./43 lbs).
B: GENERAL - GRABBER AT2 in P275/65R18 (32" O.D./44 lbs).

The lightest weight "Mud-Terrain" tires made are the YOKOHAMA - GEOLANDAR+, although these are not available in the 18" rim size. Riff Raff

Ldub
05/22/2009, 10:58 PM
ROWHARD, you asked if there was a lesson in this for us from the NERVE GAS incident??? You're damn right there is!!! It's called excessive "unsprung weight" in tires!!!

I just did a quick tire weight analysis of the huge NERVE GAS tires, and they weigh nearly 100 lbs each. Remember, our sporty and nimble VX's had OEM tires that weighed only 33--34 lbs each. NERVE GAS put on extremely heavy tires weighing nearly 70 lbs more over OEM or a whopping 280 lbs of extra unsprung weight (tire fat) for all four(4) tires. To further aggravate things, NERVE GAS made absolutely NO modifications to his OEM brakes (according to his list of modifications). Thus, when NERVE GAS asked his poor little VX to stop those big hefty tires in a panic emergency brake stop with the small OEM VX brakes; his VX politely replied "not today, soldier".

After all of those expensive modifications NERVE GAS made to make his VX "look good", it was actually the main cause of its demise. His highly modified VX wouldn't stop for *****, it wouldn't steer for *****; it was only good for hittin' *****.

The NERVE GAS incident is an clear cut example of why I keep harping on not installing excessively heavy tires with high "unsprung weight" on the light-n-nimble VX which has very small OEM brakes. Any aftermarket tire should not way more than 10 lbs over the OEM stock tire weight-- or 44 lbs maximum, if the VX is to be safely used on public roads. Any tire weighing more than 44 lbs on the VX puts your VX at risk, your life at risk, and the lives of the other drivers on the road at risk.

So, when shopping for new tires-- try to keep your maximum individual tire weight at no greater than 44 lbs each per tire and focus on tires that are "P-series" (aka: P-Metric). If you don't, you could easily end up exactly like NERVE GAS did (or worse, with someone being injured).

Excellent examples of lightweight All-Terrain "P-series" tires weighing 44 lbs or less are:

A: PRO-COMP - ALL TERRAIN in P285/60R18 (31.3" O.D./43 lbs).
B: GENERAL - GRABBER AT2 in P275/65R18 (32" O.D./44 lbs).

The lightest weight "Mud-Terrain" tires made are the YOKOHAMA - GEOLANDAR+, although these are not available in the 18" rim size. Riff Raff

So when are you gonna start the church of "less unsprung weight general grabber"?...:laughgray

We,ve all read it about a million times already, next time, save some bandwidth & post a link to this current rant...:yes:

LittleBeast
05/23/2009, 12:34 AM
Dude Riff Raff come on lighten up this thread is certainly not the place for this kind of bashing :( Nerve Gas just got into an accident because a lady was making an illegal u-turn; if you read the original post his passenger front quarter panel hit her driver’s side door. In my opinion it is extremely ignorant and unfounded for you to assume that a normally equipped VX would have avoided this accident all together. Were you there? Do you know the exact circumstances? NO! So don't start preaching about "Blah, blah, blah, I am jealous of someone's awesome VX so I am going to call it unsafe", especially on possibly his last thread here with us. I for one hope this is not his last thread here and welcome him back to the VX family huge tires and all, does having larger tires on there increase his braking distance? Yes, but I guarantee you it is still better than many registered and inspected cars on the road, why don't you do us all a favor and leave the inspection sticker to better hands than an internet forum, and leave your jaded opinions to a different thread where we are not trying to respect a fellow member who has just had a lot of frustration and grief thrown into his life?

Oh and you are last in line for his parts when he buys it back and sells stuff here ;) But then again I guess you don't care it probably isn't carbon fiber or made out of space age weightless material so I guess it wouldn't be your style.

Nerve_Gas
06/01/2009, 07:37 PM
And now its time for my response...
I fully understand what riff raff is saying and agree with him. Though in the given situation its not the case. I'm trained to operate a vehical tactically which involves avoiding other cars and such. Also that involves a large variety of vehicles from a tiny camry to HMMWV or hummvee (hummer). Yes if I had larger brakes it would have helped but it wouldn't have changed the outcome. By the time I began course correction and braking it was far to late. It all happened so fast that there was absolutely nothing I could do to change the outcome. So my instinct reaction was to put the quarter into her car to avoid more damage. A 3 foot tire can take more hit than the engine.

As for the beast, she sits quietly. I have absolutely no intention of getting rid of her. More than likely she's going to be taken off of the road and will begin the transformation in a trailor queen. Body damage first then axle swap and larger lift, brakes, power up grade, a real transfer case, and armor. Larger tires will be in there somewhere. But first I need to get a reliable truck that I won't mess with. I'm looking at quad cab tacomas.

Riff Raff
06/01/2009, 07:59 PM
NERVE GAS--- I am so sorry for your mishap, but thankful you weren't injured. It totally sucks to have "any" VX hurt. We here at Vehicross.Info truly feel your sorrow and are saddened in our hearts. My previous banter was not to intentionally slander you personally; but rather to illuminate the element of physics, and to possibly prevent other VX's from suffering as your VX has. I wish you only the very best and look forward to the day your VX is repaired. Welcome back and thank you for your response to this thread. Riff Raff

tom4bren
06/02/2009, 10:13 AM
Good to hear from you Nerve Gas. Lemme know if you need to get a 'fix' on driving a VX. I'm only 45 min North of you.:)

Nerve_Gas
06/02/2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone for your support. I'm still going to be around and will get the beast back up and running in time. Money is a little tight these days but things are getting better. In time you will see my beast get bigger and a lot more bad a--.

VXIRONwoMAN
06/02/2009, 11:32 AM
In time you will see my beast get bigger and a lot more bad a--.

SWEEEEET!!!

Glad to hear from you. Good luck with all the repairs and mods! Post pics as the progress continues...

mrtew
06/02/2009, 04:33 PM
Why would unsprung weight increase stopping distance any more than normal weight? I don't even think it's rotational inertia would be as hard to counteract as the trucks directional inertia.

Sorry about your truck etc, NerveGas.

johnny010
06/02/2009, 07:51 PM
First, your description tells me NO question, it's totalled. The headlights alone are $500, the fender is over $440, then you have cladding ($250), all the suspension (easy $1000), the wheel retails for $600, then you have to do paint work, AND labor etc....it's a gonner. I'd let it go, take off your mods, and buy another VX that doesn't need any work and pour your money into that.

Also, I work 'around' Toyota's, and can't suggest the new Tacoma. The transmission is junk, misses up and down shifts etc. Not an impressive vehicle Looks cool, and sells a ton based on their history, but not a favorite. Maybe look into the new Suzuki Equator that hit the market.

Good luck and glad you are okay

JoFotoz
06/02/2009, 08:07 PM
Ummm Johnny...Nerve is one of the few that does what he states....

First, your description tells me NO question,

Good luck and glad you are okay

.....I'm guessing...stand by and watch....:dance:

PLEASE...relax:rolleyes:

jo

pbkid
06/03/2009, 09:52 AM
The headlights alone are $500,

really??? because i bought my spare drivers side headlight for $400 less than that....

and im working on a drivers side fender for $150 right now...

i think your estimates are off.
and if you work at a dealership, that would explain it ;)

Nerve_Gas
06/03/2009, 03:29 PM
Totalled or not its coming off the road. With damage to the suspension I can't trust it. Not to mention I can't afford to keep running a truck that is in and out of the shop constantly. I need reliable transportation. Thanks for the advice on the new taco. I'm really looking for an older one ('01-'04).

E-ZooZoo One
06/06/2009, 07:35 AM
I learned of the sad news from Chris (Marlin) at ISUZUwharrie, but only just now found this thread…

I’m very glad to hear that you’re OK, and also that you plan to rebuild. --- Hopefully we’ll see you out on the trails when you’re done.

Cheers!
Smiley