PDA

View Full Version : Blower wiring

samneil2000
03/28/2009, 06:54 AM
Some of you may remember that my VX came with a sweet (not) toggle switch to turn the fan on high and off. Two positions... Very annoying.

After learning that the blower resistor is usually the problem with the blower controls from this site, I pulled the dash apart, cleaned out all of the hacked wiring, and pulled the blower resistor. I can't get any continuity across any of the posts, so I'm pretty sure it's busted. I read a post in my searching where the poster actually re-soldered his resistor. I think I'll just order one from Merlin.

Here's where my reason for posting comes in. The fan appears to have 2 wires coming off, a hot and a ground. The PO that did the hack job evidently removed the plastic connector, so I have two lose wires with male connectors on them. The problem is I don't know for sure where they should plug. I'm about to check the docs I pulled from this site, but thought I would throw this out there in case I can't find the answer myself.

Here's the two wires
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG5327.JPG

Do they plug in to this blue plug?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG5328.JPG

I have a mess on my hands. Anything else I should do while I'm in here?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG5331.JPG

I forgot to mention, my alarm LED doesn't blink. I cut the wiring to remove the dash panel, and checked with my meter and it gets 12 volts on and off. I will replace it, but i don't know what to do with the 3/8 to 1/2 inch hole left from the factory LED. I'll come up with something...
Also, my cruise on and off doesn't work, and cruise is always on. Also, the rear defrost doesn't come on. None of those buttons do anything. The power and winter mode buttons don't appear to do anything either... sheesh.

Gussie2000
03/28/2009, 07:11 AM
Hi sam !

I realized you got the VX's dash almost completely out.

You can purchase a new or used in good conds switch where you can use a dremel & drill a small hole big enough to hold the LED light bulb.

From the pics you've posted i strongly believe that the two loosen wires goes plugged to the blue plastic connector.

Now,your job is to determine which is + & - on the wires,from the pics with your fingers holding the blue plastic connector the blue wire with the white line should be the +,however use your multimeter to verify that.

Gussie2000
03/28/2009, 07:22 AM
I can also see a red wire hanging from the rear of the dash,what is it.

samneil2000
03/28/2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks Gussie! I don't believe I will be able to tell for sure until I get a new blower resistor though, or maybe I can. I will have to try some things with my meter to know for sure.

I also plan on replacing a bunch of those little bitty dash light bulbs. Most of mine in that area don't work. That should help spruce it up a bit.

Gussie2000
03/28/2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks Gussie! I don't believe I will be able to tell for sure until I get a new blower resistor though, or maybe I can. I will have to try some things with my meter to know for sure.

I also plan on replacing a bunch of those little bitty dash light bulbs. Most of mine in that area don't work. That should help spruce it up a bit.

You don't need the OEM resistor to placed it there,what you got to find out is the resistor's OHM conductivity;With that info you can then choose proper one to add it from any warehouse store such as homedepot.Sorry i can't tell since i never dealt with this issues on the VX,However i can recall running a all brand new wiring to have the radiator's fan working on my old GEO tracker & had to use a toogle switch to turn it on for those hottie summer days.

If you can't figure out the resistor's OMH conductivity call St charles isuzu & ask for merlin,merlin is the man that can save you time,actually you shall give him a call right now (1-636-441-4481) remeber to mention that you're a VX.info member & shipping will be on merlin.

samneil2000
03/29/2009, 01:06 PM
Good news. Yesterday I was able to repair my resistor and put everything back together properly. Now I have a fully functioning heat/air setup.
I found an old post with how to fix it by "wadestock" here:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8099

I decided to go for it. I figured why not, if I couldn't fix it then I would have to buy another one anyways. I used my dremel and cut in to the bottom of the plastic tab that covered the connections. Then I grabbed it with needle nose and snapped it off.
Here is the resistor with the plastic broke off. I grabbed the metal tabs and curled them with my pliers so that they wouldn't try to spring up anymore.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG5334.JPG

Then I heated up the solder and added a little to it. She's as good as new. If it breaks again, I can fix it.

Gussie2000
03/29/2009, 02:33 PM
Great sam,you all set up.

I guess the PO didn't knew how to figured out the problem & went the easy way.

VehiGAZ
03/29/2009, 05:53 PM
I have a mess on my hands. Anything else I should do while I'm in here?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG5331.JPG

Dude, you CANNOT post pictures like that without a warning!!! :eek:

samneil2000
03/30/2009, 04:23 AM
Dude, you CANNOT post pictures like that without a warning!!! :eek:

My appologies. The good news is it's all back together and as good as new. :bgwo:

VehiGAZ
03/30/2009, 07:10 AM
Whew! Good news!

They have an unofficial rule at the 928 forums on Rennlist.com - no posting extremely damaged or gutted engine or interior pictures without a warning in the thread title. People can get pretty emotional when confronted with something like that. ;)

Gussie2000
03/30/2009, 08:20 AM
Then you might didn't want to see my engine when was tear apart to find the source of the annoying tapping;Funny thing about it was that they shop didn't find a single part of the engine with any damage at all,valves,camshaft,crankshaft,cylinders was all in perfect conditions & within specs, the engine is very clean though,no gunk or carbon deposits were found,yet still the light tapping is there,every time I go to the shop for maintainace the mech keeps stearing at the VX like "you are bad little boy"

etlsport
03/30/2009, 04:48 PM
anyone know if the resistor is found on the 00/01 VXs with climate control? im still tryin to sort out my AC woes.. a buddy who goes to an auto tech school took in a copy of the wiring diagrams and a list of symptoms and his professor guessed the culprit was a bad connection on the blower resistor (without ever having worked on/seen a vx before)

i tore down the area earlier, but dont think i found the blower resistor, i pulled a thing i thought was it, but it only had 3 pins and had what looked like a heat sink on the back of it.. there was rust on the board in that though, so i cleaned it up, but could not take it fully apart to see if the inside was corroded as well...