PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning ?

crotchrocket
03/27/2009, 05:59 AM
I opened my bonnet (hood ;) ) today and its full of mud!! can i pressure wash this engine ok? Anything majour to keep away from??

Chopper
03/27/2009, 06:09 AM
I usually avoid a pressure washer. But a strong hose. 409 type cleaner, and a good long bristle brush can do wonders. Stay away from the Fuse/relay box and the computer. If it's real bad, bag 'em with plastic, and use the PW with care...

VehiGAZ
03/27/2009, 06:38 AM
More than a couple of us have run into engine problems after pressure-washing because of water getting up under the ignition pack seals and down into the spark plug tunnel. So you ened to be careful of that. It's easy to rectify though - just remove each ignition pack and dry out any water that's gotten down in the hole.

That's the only problem I've had. It would be best to wash it in the morning and let it sit with the hood (um, sorry - bonnet) up until the engine bay dries out.

Good luck!

VXD959
03/27/2009, 06:52 AM
Hey, I just cleaned my daughter's car engine a hosed off all the stuff. Now the little truck is running like it is on 3 cilynders instead of 4. Do you think that's the problem ("water getting up under the ignition pack seals and down into the spark plug tunnel")???

Thanks,

VehiGAZ
03/27/2009, 07:20 AM
That is exactly the problem, I'll bet. It can be intermittent too. I replaced the ignition pack on the driver's-side front cylinder when it happened to me, but saw that the water down in the hole when I was replacing it. The water shorts/grounds the ignition pulse, so no spark and it feels like it's not running on all cylinders.

It IS possible to burn out an ignition pack, but try drying it out first.

Good luck!!

WormGod
03/27/2009, 07:33 AM
Ya, it isn't exactly "illegal" to wash your engine bay, but definitely know what you can and can not zap with water. I usually give the engine bay a once over every time I give her a bath, and every few times I will use an spray cleaner in there that sits for 15 mins before spraying off with water again. Never had any problems, but it also pays to know what NOT to get wet or over-saturate, heh. Totally needed after winter ends here to get all that salt out of there.

And for the love of God, do NEVER use a pressure washer in there, heh. That isn't exactly "illegal" anyways, but it probably should be.

crotchrocket
03/27/2009, 08:02 AM
Cool, thanks guys. a hose, brush and common sense it is then :D

don moore
03/27/2009, 08:09 AM
Cool, thanks guys. a hose, brush and common sense it is then :D

dont for get the towels:p......!

MSHardeman
03/27/2009, 11:54 AM
crotchrocket,

I have some stuff at home that is an enzyme that you mix with water in a spray bottle. You spray it on your warm engine and let it sit becuase it's supposed to eat oil and grease for lunch (I think it's alive) and then you gently wash it off. I've used it before and it seems to work pretty well. I think it's also supposed to be environmentally friendly (not toxic like Gunk). I don't think that it will do squat for the massive amounts of mud that you've been accumulating, but once you get the big chunky pieces off this stuff might help to really shine that puppy up. It might be made locally here in Colorado (I'll look at the bottle tonight), but I could send you a bottle if you would like.

Osteomata
03/27/2009, 02:37 PM
If you are planning to use an engine degreaser, and are concerned about legality and/or environmental issues, you can look for do-it-yourself car wash that has a grease trap to capture the gunk that you spray off.

- Os

nfpgasmask
03/27/2009, 03:33 PM
If you are planning to use an engine degreaser, and are concerned about legality and/or environmental issues, you can look for do-it-yourself car wash that has a grease trap to capture the gunk that you spray off.

- Os

Yeah, that's what I did. I once (don't ask) left the oil cap off and drove around. When I stopped I had loads of smoke spewing out from under the bonnet. I thought something REALLY BAD happened. And then, I popped the hood open and found I just left the cap off and oil had sprayed all over under there. I took my VX to the local DIY car wash spot and used a small amount of Engine Brite and got it cleaned up.

I know there is some Earth friendly engine cleaner out there somewhere.

Bart

Marlin
03/27/2009, 04:38 PM
I take mine muddin pretty regularly noww, I bought some engine degreaser, got it spotless with the pressure washer, and I then sprayed with an engine protector. It is like an enamel for high temp areas at autozone, you spray it, wait, get it hot for 15 minutes, then its much easier to clean. I have had no problems pressure washing, just careful of coil packs, and the headlights, water got in my passenger side through the hole for the HID plug. My bad. But I have had no problems now that I put the protector on it.

VehiGAZ
03/29/2009, 05:39 PM
I once (don't ask) left the oil cap off and drove around. When I stopped I had loads of smoke spewing out...

Heh-heh... you too? I did it to my old Volvo while driving semi-cross-country. I checked the oil at a gas stop, topped it off, and hit the road again. An hour or two later, I notice the oil light flicker as I changed lanes. :eek:

There was a rest area half a mile up the road so I pulled in there and then saw the smoke. :eek::eek::eek:

When I finally popped the hood and figured out what had happened, I was actually relieved that that's all it was - I had half a case of it in the trunk for the trip! I thought I'd be stuck in BFE Indiana for days...

crotchrocket
06/17/2009, 06:01 AM
My engine was full of mud so i attacked it with a hose and a brush last night and it worked a treat. Started straight up :D