PDA

View Full Version : Tuble Weed

crotchrocket
03/26/2009, 09:13 AM
Come on guys, where's the JDM people !!!!

I have a question!!! what BHP is the 3.2? Is it 175hp ??

also, why is it the JDM is so much better than the american version :p :rolleyes: ??

VCrossfan
03/26/2009, 10:14 AM
Come on guys, where's the JDM people !!!!

I have a question!!! what BHP is the 3.2? Is it 175hp ??

also, why is it the JDM is so much better than the american version :p :rolleyes: ??

WOW

crotchrocket
03/26/2009, 10:15 AM
Nothing like an ice breaker :D

nfpgasmask
03/26/2009, 10:28 AM
Better why, because it has that hideously ugly fender mirror? :eek: :D

Bart

CrnCnn
03/26/2009, 11:02 AM
It must be because the US version has 215HP. Plus we drive on the wrong side... :)

VehiGAZ
03/26/2009, 11:31 AM

More cool colors.

tomdietrying
03/26/2009, 03:14 PM
Crotchrocket,
JDM is so much better than the american version because it also came with a sky hook that we don't have.
Peace.
Tom

don moore
03/26/2009, 11:19 PM
Better why, because it has that hideously ugly fender mirror? :eek: :D

Bart
lol.. I kind like the ugly mirror...:)

Bulldoggie
03/26/2009, 11:28 PM
Plus we drive on the wrong side... :)

Actually, under international rules of the road (at sea) Port to Port is the correct method of passing on-coming traffic.
So WE are on the right side of the road.
Only the British empire, and Japan, pass starboard to starboard.
Which should require two sharp blasts on the horn before passing.
Just my take on who drives on the wrong side.....:dance:

BTW; Boats that have their steering on the RH side, do so, because of the drivers weight is supposed to help offset the torque of the propeller.
Not because boaters are supposed to stay on the other side of the channel (road)
Many boaters make this error.

Bulldoggie
03/26/2009, 11:37 PM
lol.. I kind like the ugly mirror...:)

It may be ugly, but I had fender mirrors on my old MGA roadster. and I can say that putting the mirrors at the front eliminates blind spots. :yeso:
I think it was common to put them on the doors so you can adjust them from the drivers seat.

CrnCnn
03/27/2009, 12:53 PM
halloa!, here it is http://sourceradix.com/m/f277.html

Do I smell a ban coming?????

VehiGAZ
03/27/2009, 01:31 PM
IBTL!!!

(In before the lock!)

Moncha
03/27/2009, 03:49 PM
IBTL!!!

(In before the lock!)

A ban and a deletion for all three account the morons made!

pbkid
03/27/2009, 07:03 PM
A ban and a deletion for all three account the morons made!

woo hoo +1 for the bossman!

rowhard
03/27/2009, 09:05 PM
Plus we drive on the wrong side... :)

NO, we drive on the right side,..... the right side of the road. But I think there are 53 countries that drive on the other side

Sprey
03/28/2009, 05:09 PM
Jdm here!! Im sure the jdm was still around 210 or so hp ?.

So far ive seen no jdms with oil problems? ???? tho dont count me on that one :p

VCrossfan
03/28/2009, 05:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't (JDM/USA) models made and hand assembled under the same roof in Tokyo ??

Sprey
03/28/2009, 06:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't (JDM/USA) models made and hand assembled under the same roof in Tokyo ??
I think so , guess they can all be put under jdm then :P

PK
03/29/2009, 04:22 PM
:smilewinkHaving a JDM model, but spending way tooo much time on this forum, the following are some of the differences I have noticed -

JDM's can check and top up their tranny fluid via a dipstick and filler tube.:clap:

We have the same seats, but covered with fabric instead of leather.:mad:

The 3.2L engine creates the same amount of power, but uses less fuel than the 3.5L engine. The 3.2L had to be replaced for USA because the emissions from it would not meet USA standards. So, we get more power from our fuel burnt, but create more emissions.:confused:

Some JDM models have the wing mirror. Mine does not. :mad:

Although the JDM model was built in '97 to '98, we have the climate control system only found in the late USA models. Isuzu changed, and then changed back.:confused:

And finally, we have the steering wheel on the RIGHT side.:bgwo::laughing::dance:

Undoubtly there are other differences, but regardless of where the VX was intended for sale, it is still the best most cool looking vehicle ever.:bgwo::bgwg:

PK

crotchrocket
03/30/2009, 01:54 AM
I've seen a VX with Cruise controll too!! Anyone have it? Could i change the ecu and retro-fit cruise control to my JDM ??

VehiGAZ
03/30/2009, 06:56 AM
We have CC on the US models. Except if you have a supercharger, then it is probably disabled because the CC throttle cable isn't long enough to reach the new throttle location, and Alpine either didn't make them or ran out of them.

PK
03/30/2009, 04:48 PM
Oops - forgot one of the most important differences -

I really feel sorry for all you US guys -

We have -

Selectable 2WD.:dance::dance::dance:

VCrossfan
03/30/2009, 05:08 PM
Oops - forgot one of the most important differences -

I really feel sorry for all you US guys -

We have -

Selectable 2WD.:dance::dance::dance:

That is one thing I would like to have. But you still have to sit on those JDM seats ;puke: :laughing:

AussieVX
03/30/2009, 06:58 PM
Hi folks

It took me a while to realise why my JDM VX had so much better fuel economy than the US models - I think it is simply the selectable 2WD (mine has the 3.5L motor for some odd reason. It was manufactured with the 3.2L. Wonder how hard it was to do the switch??). I consistently get 12-13L per 100km for around the town driving - similar to a Honda CRX or similar!!

Things I like about my JDM ....
- factory electric adjustable mirrors (I don't think the US model has those)
- the built in dash screen and reversing mirror
- selectable 2wd

Things I would do without ...
- the dorky blind spot mirror (although it does work)
- the psychedelic stereo display
- the silly stalk mounted optional cruise ... the US dash mounted switch is better.

Things from the US model I covet ...
- a red and black leather interior - in fact any leather interior!!

Regardless of what side of the car the steering wheel is ... the VX rocks!!

Ross

VCrossfan
03/30/2009, 07:15 PM
Hi folks

It took me a while to realise why my JDM VX had so much better fuel economy than the US models - I think it is simply the selectable 2WD (mine has the 3.5L motor for some odd reason. It was manufactured with the 3.2L. Wonder how hard it was to do the switch??). I consistently get 12-13L per 100km for around the town driving - similar to a Honda CRX or similar!!

Things I like about my JDM ....
- factory electric adjustable mirrors (I don't think the US model has those)
- the built in dash screen and reversing mirror
- selectable 2wd

Things I would do without ...
- the dorky blind spot mirror (although it does work)
- the psychedelic stereo display
- the silly stalk mounted optional cruise ... the US dash mounted switch is better.

Things from the US model I covet ...
- a red and black leather interior - in fact any leather interior!!

Regardless of what side of the car the steering wheel is ... the VX rocks!!

Ross

USA Model does have factory electric adjustable mirrors that are Heated...

pbkid
03/30/2009, 08:43 PM
similar to a Honda CRX or similar!!

i dont know the conversions...but is it possible that hes getting like 40-45 mpg?? (thats what my dads CRX gets)

AussieVX
03/30/2009, 11:41 PM
i dont know the conversions...but is it possible that hes getting like 40-45 mpg?? (thats what my dads CRX gets)

Ummm nope, I don't think that's possible. Thats around 20 mpg (US) ... which for stop start driving in traffic is pretty much what the CRV (auto) claims... (as opposed to CRX which is what I said in my first post!!). I chose between a CRV type soft roader and the VX ... so it's a relevant comparison for me...

Sprey
03/31/2009, 12:20 AM
**the psychedelic stereo display**
Rofl so true :p

I left mine in and took out the little din sized cubby hole/ coin holder thing, and my single din stereo in. so the screen is only getting used for a camera.

when i drove 4 or so hours, mine was doing roughly 10 - 11 km per litre

crotchrocket
03/31/2009, 02:01 AM
That is one thing I would like to have. But you still have to sit on those JDM seats ;puke: :laughing:

i tell you what, its great fun lighting up the rear wheels in the wet and drifting out a junction !! :D

good old 2WD !!

pbkid
03/31/2009, 12:36 PM
Ummm nope, I don't think that's possible. Thats around 20 mpg (US) ... which for stop start driving in traffic is pretty much what the CRV (auto) claims... (as opposed to CRX which is what I said in my first post!!). I chose between a CRV type soft roader and the VX ... so it's a relevant comparison for me...

oh ok you meant CRV?? the CRX is a completely different car than a CRV....

AussieVX
03/31/2009, 02:40 PM
when i drove 4 or so hours, mine was doing roughly 10 - 11 km per litre

That's pretty good for a 3.2L vehicle which is no light weight (and on NZ roads, that aren't usually freeway cruising).

I need to run my 3.5 out on the freeway for a long run and see what economy I can get compared to you ...

Sprey
03/31/2009, 04:46 PM
That's pretty good for a 3.2L vehicle which is no light weight (and on NZ roads, that aren't usually freeway cruising).

I need to run my 3.5 out on the freeway for a long run and see what economy I can get compared to you ...

Yea your right about the roads, tho most of the road i drove was fairly good a few hills but yea not too bad.

my first trip away so i wasnt pushing it just cruising , prob gonna go on a trip away with some mates so ill see how it goes then with gas.

AussieVX
04/01/2009, 12:41 AM
Gotta be the perfect car for NZ, small enough, nippy and yet still capable of monstering the good gravel roads... if I ever move back I'm going to have to stick my VX on a boat ....

Sprey
04/01/2009, 01:42 AM
Gotta be the perfect car for NZ, small enough, nippy and yet still capable of monstering the good gravel roads... if I ever move back I'm going to have to stick my VX on a boat ....

Sounds like a plan :cool:

What part did you come from ?

crotchrocket
04/01/2009, 01:59 AM
Can a mod change the title to Tumble Weed please ??

so i don't look like a tit :D

BritVX
04/03/2009, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

Haven't been on the site for ages for all sorts of reasons but glad to see things are still lively, the G20 thread got me laughing.

Crotchrocket I'm in Bisley Surrey when I eventually get mine back on the road I'd be up for a meet to do a little off roading. Your the first person with a VX who lives anywhere near me. I've played around with mine quite a bit so you could get to see what a mess you can make of a VX if you really try:)

Currently sat in Houston, spotted a Silver VX last night around 6.00pm on Westheimer Briarpark, anyone on here?

Col

circmand
04/03/2009, 03:57 PM
I used to live in Katy and we had a meet over at George Shaws house. I cant remember his user name thats where I met Tone (GRHS) and about a dozen other fans. We had about 6-8 VXs there at the time.

BritVX
04/04/2009, 05:06 AM
I was saddened to read the news about Tone, I never managed to meet up with him on my trips to Houston but he provided me all sorts of parts for my VX going out of his way to parcel up bits from other suppliers for me, I can only echo the comments made by others.
I couldn't get alongside the silver VX to see the occupant as it was heavy traffic.

Col

technocoy
04/04/2009, 02:44 PM
I would have to say that the american interiors end this argument pretty quickly. The red and black Or black and grey leather interior is very classy and sporty and would never in a million years be mistaken for my grandmothers couch upholstery. :)

Thing I DO like from the JDM models are the 2 wheel drive option, the climate control even in the 98/99 models and the double din head unit opening... My life would be so much easier right now as far as audio equipment goes!

pbkid
04/04/2009, 04:47 PM
I would have to say that the american interiors end this argument pretty quickly. The red and black Or black and grey leather interior is very classy and sporty and would never in a million years be mistaken for my grandmothers couch upholstery. :)

Thing I DO like from the JDM models are the 2 wheel drive option, the climate control even in the 98/99 models and the double din head unit opening... My life would be so much easier right now as far as audio equipment goes!

true that...

does anyone have a pic of the JDM dash?? im curious how they designed it differently...and for that matter is it compatible with ours? (could i swap it for a factory 2-din hole?

Sprey
04/04/2009, 07:16 PM
true that...

does anyone have a pic of the JDM dash?? im curious how they designed it differently...and for that matter is it compatible with ours? (could i swap it for a factory 2-din hole?

Ive got a squeak in mine, loose stereo bracket so ill grab some pics for you.

Edit heres some of the pics. - the hotglue on there is for the hairline cracks.
if you want any more pics just ask.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1154.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1155.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1159.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1160.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1161.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk404/sprey16/IMG_1162.jpg

edalseel
05/08/2009, 06:15 AM
I've been wondering the same thing and from everything I have found so far its 215BHP for the JDM.

http://wiki.planetisuzoo.com/index.php/Vehicross'

http://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/670839

kirk hilton
05/08/2009, 02:25 PM
The Japanese Vehicross was/is based on the earlier (and possible better*) 1998 3.2 V6D1 engine used in the Trooper. Unlike the 3.5 (V6E1) which produces 215 bhp the 3.2 produces 190 bhp.

The differences between the two engine models are the size of the cranks and con-rods. I also believe only the 3.2 has hydraulic tappets.

Does anyone agree?

Kirk

* better - in that it had a lot of testing for the Trooper and does not suffer from the same oil starvation problems.

VX-157
05/11/2009, 08:15 PM
Hi guys, i own a jdm vx that has the red and black leather :D. and i think i am correct in saying i have the 3.5ltr motor to.

As i only know of two aussies on this board (vic and tas) i am guessing that getting a road trip or weekend meet would be out of the question. i dont mind traveling up to 8 hours for a meet.