PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Options

crotchrocket
03/25/2009, 06:18 AM
The VX is now looking the part and i want it to sound the part :D

I want a nice deep tone, reasonably loud but no rasp. I have heard a few peoples VX's on youtube and they have a nasty rasp to them which i wouldn't like at all.

I love the sound of my V6 300zx and want something similar (i know there different engines and the zx is turbo'd eliminating alot of noise)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzDDY3y4vQ4&feature=channel

I went to a custom exhaust fabricators yesturday and they want £600 for a cat back system!! which is way too much for me. I was thinking of just replacing the centre box with a universal straight through one my self but is it going to sound raspy and rubbish?? Or an nice V6 burble?

What is the stock exhaust diamiter??? ( i would check but i took the tube to work cause im out for drinks after :D)

Gussie2000
03/25/2009, 06:48 AM
Hey crotch what's up ?
In my own personal experience I got rid of the stock muffler & replace it for a smaller size;It did improve the deep loud but non disturbing sound on the VX which I love.
Few weeks ago I decide to run a 2nd muffler & pipe on the passeger side & now those mufflers sounds deep & sweet, I made fun of my self saying that @ 40 mph I feel. very sexy with the whole cabing vibrating LOL

crotchrocket
03/25/2009, 06:59 AM
Good man, hope your well!!!

Cool i like the sound of that. I have finally found a company that offer various mild steel exhaust parts i can DIY :D I don't mind it being mild as it doesn't have to last forever!!! and i can weld it up my self !

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/custom_parts.php?mat=Aluminised+or+mild&dia=3.0+inch

No offence to etlsport as his car's awesome but this is the sound i'm trying to avoid. Kinda sounds like the packing is missing from the exhaust box
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FX3A4Wc8QQ

WormGod
03/25/2009, 07:55 AM
I HIGHLY recommend hunting down the elusive PV1 (Power Vault 1 series). Occasionally, one will appear on the sales forums and it goes fast. Had mine installed new for about 6-7 years now and only gets better with age. You push more air with a S/C on a PV and you are really on sound-par with some V8s.

That clip with etl's PV is most likley A/V artifacting. Though, he could be running a PV2, which, IIRC, has some resonance due to a baffle/silencer welded into the pipe or something. I think most have cut them out and it's mo'betta now. Maybe someone here can vouch for the PV2 that has one, though I have never heard one of those in person.

crotchrocket
03/25/2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks, the manufacturers you mensioned don't seam to be available in the uk, i think getting some parts and doing it at home is the way forward. Should cost no more than £100

crotchrocket
03/27/2009, 04:05 AM
Anyone ?

etlsport
03/27/2009, 04:19 AM
in my vid on youtube, i do have the powervault2.. it can be a bit raspy from inside, but from the outside its only really raspy from an initial cold takeoff and over 4500 rpm.. but at that point the engine noise overpowers the exhaust noise anyway.. from outside the vehicle im not sure exactly how it sounds.. i know its deeper than it sounds on that video... either way when i get some extra dough.. i plan on getting an insert for the tailpipe like Ldub has to get rid of the rasp completely

crotchrocket
03/27/2009, 05:48 AM
in my vid on youtube, i do have the powervault2.. it can be a bit raspy from inside, but from the outside its only really raspy from an initial cold takeoff and over 4500 rpm.. but at that point the engine noise overpowers the exhaust noise anyway.. from outside the vehicle im not sure exactly how it sounds.. i know its deeper than it sounds on that video... either way when i get some extra dough.. i plan on getting an insert for the tailpipe like Ldub has to get rid of the rasp completely

What insert is that ?

Chopper
03/27/2009, 06:16 AM
I went Magneflow...nice burbble at idle. Nice and quiet till you put your foot in it. Don't know if it will pass Euro noise restrictions though....much lower than over here. Just stay out of Switzerland:_cop::dan_ban:

don moore
03/27/2009, 08:16 AM
i like my Magneflow.....hehe

ScottinMA
03/27/2009, 08:27 AM
Here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts I have had my VX fail inspections as a result of my PV1. In fact, the only legal exhaust system is the OEM. Muffler shops that advertise Magno flow, etc. receive calls from the DMV threatening to fine them if any are sold. Meanwhile there is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about running straight pipes from your Harley.

tom4bren
03/27/2009, 08:33 AM
crotchrocket,

Look at post #10 here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7441&highlight=exhaust+insert

(the pix are on page 8 of Ldub's gallery)

Tom

WormGod
03/27/2009, 08:38 AM
Here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts I have had my VX fail inspections as a result of my PV1. In fact, the only legal exhaust system is the OEM. Muffler shops that advertise Magno flow, etc. receive calls from the DMV threatening to fine them if any are sold. Meanwhile there is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about running straight pipes from your Harley.

Didn't Mass pass that reg a year or so ago? No aftermarket exhausts whatsoever shall be used on a Mass registered vehicle, even if it was altered before that law was in the books?

I find this to be absolutely absurd. The Borla turboback on my WReX actually runs CLEANER than my OEM did. I think these imbeciles look at ALL aftermarket exhausts as just being noise makers. Forget the fact that they may actually run CLEANER. :rolleyes:

CrnCnn
03/27/2009, 09:46 AM
I really like the sound of Jofotoz last year at moab. I will be getting a similar setup when I can.

Gussie2000
03/27/2009, 12:16 PM

Which means harleys have privilages
Buggy laws

samneil2000
03/27/2009, 01:15 PM
I have a loud bike (Honda, not a Harley) and I agree we get away with a lot more sound on bikes. There's a biker saying though that goes like this:
"Loud pipes save lives"
That's because it's sometimes hard to see a bike. It's always easy to spot a VX though. :thumbup:

More on topic, has anyone installed a Flowmaster muffler on their VX? How did that sound?

crotchrocket
03/30/2009, 09:40 AM
I have a loud bike (Honda, not a Harley) and I agree we get away with a lot more sound on bikes. There's a biker saying though that goes like this:
"Loud pipes save lives"
That's because it's sometimes hard to see a bike. It's always easy to spot a VX though. :thumbup:

More on topic, has anyone installed a Flowmaster muffler on their VX? How did that sound?

Agreed ! i drive through London everyday and 9 times out of 10 i hear a bike and look for it in my mirrors etc before i see it

Solitude
03/30/2009, 10:44 AM

VCross007 installed the super 40, but didnt like because of the loss of torque

VehiGAZ
03/30/2009, 11:53 AM

Great at idle, but grating after that. I had a 2.5" Delta 40 or 50 on mine, and I stopped driving the VX so much because it was so loud and awful inside - it felt like the muffler was piped into the cargo area. Don't do it.

I replaced it with a 2.5" Dynomax super turbo muffler late last year and have been absolutely ecstatic with the results. Similar burble at idle, but far better sound quality and far lower sound level than the FM.

Crotchrocket, can you get Dynomax in UK?

Good luck all!

crotchrocket
03/31/2009, 02:11 AM
Crotchrocket, can you get Dynomax in UK?

Nope :(

Riff Raff
03/31/2009, 05:51 AM
VehiGAZ--- You convinced me-- when I have to replace my muffler, I'm going the Dynomax Super Turbo route. What kind of set-up do you have with the Dynomax Super Turbo??? Dual Exhaust or Single??? If Dual; did you use twin mufflers or a single-into-two???

Riff Raff
04/01/2009, 05:48 AM
VehiGAZ--- Where are you???

Riff Raff
04/01/2009, 07:34 AM
VehiGAZ--- Where are you???

x2

VehiGAZ
04/01/2009, 07:49 AM
I had a 2.5" Delta 40 or 50 on mine, and I stopped driving the VX so much because it was so loud and awful inside

I think I have to correct this statement - I recently came across my receipt from Summitracing.com and it says I got a FlowMaster Super 44 series muffler - not the Delta 40 I thought. Hmm.... maybe that's why it didn't sound good?

In any event, I have a single 2.5" pipe from the Y junction (right after the cats) back to the 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo (center in/offset out configuration), then more 2.5" piping back to a bolt-on chrome exhaust tip.

Riff Raff - I'm in Connecticut.

dtruax
04/01/2009, 09:47 PM
vehiGAZ-
do you have any video/sound clip of your dyno max?

Riff Raff
04/02/2009, 06:05 AM
In any event, I have a single 2.5" pipe from the Y junction (right after the cats) back to the 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo (center in/offset out configuration), then more 2.5" piping back to a bolt-on chrome exhaust tip.

Riff Raff - I'm in Connecticut.

VehiGAZ--- I wasn't concerned of where you live, you silly-- I just wanted to know how your exhaust was set-up (single or dual, etc). Anyway, thanx for the update. I'm thinking of trying a "dual" set-up. Probably just like yours using a "single" Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, except with a center-in/twin-out configuration going to dual exhaust tips (matching left & right at rear) using 2.5" everywhere beyond the Y-junction.

VehiGAZ
04/02/2009, 07:46 AM
vehiGAZ-
do you have any video/sound clip of your dyno max?

Nope - I tried to record the sound a couple of times for a couple of forum members, but was totally unsatisfied with the results - for a complex, wide-spectrum sound like an exhaust, you need pro-quality recording devices. Cell phones and digital cams just don't cut it!

And of course you'd have to replay it through a good sound system too, but that problem is not on my end.

VehiGAZ
04/02/2009, 07:47 AM
VehiGAZ--- I wasn't concerned of where you live, you silly

I forgot to put a smiley after that crack. :)

PHO2GR4
04/02/2009, 08:31 AM
Gotta say...very, very happy with my Flowmaster Off-Road Extreme. I've had it for a couple of years now. Deep growly sound, not raspy.

There are two video (with audio!) clips in my member gallery, comparing the stock exhaust sound with the Flowmaster sound. If I were more of a genius, I probably could have figured out how to link those clips to this post. (Can anyone help me with that?)

As a bonus, the muffler is a cool-looking black diamond-plate steel. Coupled with a carbon-fiber (or fibre, if you're in the UK) exhaust tip from eBay, I now have a color-coordinated Ebony VX. I ever roll it and get stuck belly-up, I'll look AWESOME.

:p