PDA

View Full Version : How to inflate a tire with WD-40. Must see!

UtahVXer
03/24/2009, 10:01 AM
Amazing that this really works. This is a must-see video:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2324576/interesting_tire_repair_technique/

nfpgasmask
03/24/2009, 10:07 AM
LOL, that's actually a rather old-school red neck method of getting the tire back on the bead if your tire falls off when wheeling because you aired down too much. Do a YouTube search for Tire + Ether and you will see loads of neckish videos of guys popping tires on the bead with Ether. From what I understand, it is not smart as the tire could explode....

:eek: Bart

VehiGAZ
03/24/2009, 10:28 AM
From what I understand, it is not smart as the tire could explode....:eek: Bart

It'll work in a pinch, though!

UtahVXer
03/24/2009, 10:30 AM
From what I understand, it is not smart as the tire could explode....

:eek: Bart

Now that would make an even more interesting video!

nfpgasmask
03/24/2009, 10:54 AM
Now that would make an even more interesting video!

:disturbed
Now that would be interesting. I'm pretty sure they are records of farmers who have been killed doing this with tractors and such. I know I heard something about that a while back...

Bart

PittVXr
03/24/2009, 12:16 PM
That was pretty cool. I guess if you are in the middle of nowhere, it would do the trick.

Solitude
03/24/2009, 12:46 PM
it works better on a semi tire. the bead holds up better

VehiGAZ
03/24/2009, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure they are records of farmers who have been killed doing this with tractors and such. I know I heard something about that a while back...

Bart

There was a scare about non-pyrotechnic tire inflation procedures on semi-trailer wheels - sometimes the wheels would come apart during inflation, seriously messing up or killing whoever was filling the tire. Many shops installed inflation cages for safety.

Perhaps that is what you are thinking of?

nfpgasmask
03/24/2009, 01:56 PM
There was a scare about non-pyrotechnic tire inflation procedures on semi-trailer wheels - sometimes the wheels would come apart during inflation, seriously messing up or killing whoever was filling the tire. Many shops installed inflation cages for safety.

Yes, perhaps, but I specifically remember something about using Ether...

Bart

Hotsauce
03/24/2009, 04:04 PM
That appears to be starting fluid, not WD-40 from the way the flame looks.

John C.

Riff Raff
03/24/2009, 07:43 PM

It's not so much a danger on solid one-piece wheels. The danger is older military-type wheels that have a "split-ring" retainer that can fly off during inflation. Tire cages were made just for these kind of military-type wheels with the "split-ring".

crotchrocket
03/25/2009, 02:44 AM
I first saw this technique on Top Gear's polar expedition !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi9MOX-l7Gs

Do you guys get / watch top gear? If you haven't seent the poplar expedition WATCH IT !!!

WormGod
03/25/2009, 08:10 AM
I tried this last night on my VX while it was in the garage. Didn't go so well....

http://www.ihs.gov/MedicalPrograms/PortlandInjury/otherimages/indexpic/flash/HouseFire_2.jpg

:eek: ;) :p

mrlegoman
03/25/2009, 05:28 PM
Awesome link. I would have never guessed. Thanks!

don moore
03/25/2009, 08:23 PM
WOW Gary.....i think you uses to much...and the manual says to do it in a well ventilated area....:p

Todd Adams
03/26/2009, 06:01 AM
I have first hand knowledge of a fatality using this procedure. It is very dangerous. I have seated many beads off road and have always been able to re seat the bead without the use of ether. Sometimes a ratchet strap is required but most times all you have to do is get the tire and rim off the ground and air up. A little water around the bead works to lubricate and seal. My advice is don't do it.
Todd