PDA

View Full Version : How do I disassemble a factory fob?

vt_maverick
03/23/2009, 03:16 PM
Need to replace the battery in one of my new Axiom's key fobs but having a heck of a time getting the case open. The Axiom fob/key is a single piece, but it still uses the same single screw mechanism that we have on the VX remote.

Ideas? Trying not to break it... -Thanks!

kodiak
03/23/2009, 03:42 PM
Just remove the screw and lift up on the screw end. If it’s missing the screw and it’s been glued shut you might need to pry it apart with something.

vt_maverick
03/23/2009, 04:38 PM
That leads to another question... where can I find a replacement screw? I went to Lowe's last night but they said they don't carry anything that small. I'm thinking maybe an eyeglass repair kit might have one?

Thanks for the confirmation that I was doing it right. I just had the feeling I was about to snap it in half. As it was, the transmitter shot across the room when it finally came apart...

TheGanzman
03/27/2009, 07:39 AM
That leads to another question... where can I find a replacement screw? I went to Lowe's last night but they said they don't carry anything that small. I'm thinking maybe an eyeglass repair kit might have one?

Thanks for the confirmation that I was doing it right. I just had the feeling I was about to snap it in half. As it was, the transmitter shot across the room when it finally came apart...

I was missing a screw too out of one of my two FOB's. I found a suitable replacement at True Value - the better stores have a pretty comprehensive fastener section. It's in the metric area, it's an "M2-6" slotted. Not an EXACT match, it's alittle short and it's slotted, but it DOES work. The "M2" part of the equation is the thickness/thread pitch (I believe) and the "6" part is the length. .29 cents plus tax - I would have bought YOU one, but it was the LAST one in the bin - I'm guessing that it's a pretty popular size with the key FOB crowd!

tom4bren
03/27/2009, 08:00 AM
If I 'member correctly:

M stands for metric.

2 is the diameter (2mm)

6 is the thread pitch

vt_maverick
03/27/2009, 09:23 PM
Unbelieveably helpful info guys... I was planning on just buying a $5 hodgepodge of screws and fooling around to find the best match. Thanks!

rowhard
03/27/2009, 10:32 PM
If I 'member correctly:

M stands for metric.

2 is the diameter (2mm)

6 is the thread pitch

Isn't the 6 the length?