PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Dakar Rally - Evidence

kirk hilton
03/23/2009, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Vehicross world so forgive me if this question has already been asked/ answered. The entry in Wiki for the Vehicross suggests that the vehicross won it's category in the 1998 Dakar rally but visiting the Dakar site there is no mention of the vehicross and a general search for info of the dakar rally does not bring to light Isuzu's entry in that year. Can any of you good people confirm the case and importantly indicate a website that independently confirms the win for the vehicross. Incidentally, wiki also indicates that the vehicross won a Oz Safari Rally but I find no evidence of that either.

Gussie2000
03/23/2009, 05:12 PM
Hello kirk !

1rst to welcome you to your "new" home;Here you'll find almost any question answered.

Regarding your question about the dakar-paris rally the answer is YES.

The vehicross not only won the rally once but twice so for your satisfaction you're driving a rally champion PUV (Performance utility vehicule).

After the vehicross was put into production ISUZU wanted to prove all their off roads capabilities & technology applied on the VX to gain more "ranking" status;If i'm not mistaken the VX model assigned to acomplish the task was the ironmam edition,this doesn't mean the the IRONMAN model was better then the rest of all the VX's produced,but because ISUZU was at that time an strong sponsor of the worldwide known IRONMAN triathlon competition.

And yes the Vehicross also won the australia's safary rally.

However more fellow VX'ers would add their input to better aknowledge you all the facts surrounding this historic event.

And if you grabb a hold on my signature you can rest assured the VX did won the rally ;)

Again,welcome to the VX world,have all the fun you can possibly have because the VX is all about fun :)

kirk hilton
03/24/2009, 05:47 AM
Hi and thanks for such a full and prompt reply.

Although I'm 'Just Looking' I have, within the last six months bought a JDM 175 Vehicross and very happy I'm with it. More then any other car I've owned this one get me all fired up. It is truely a bit of design and automotive history (the Dakar rally has given its name teeth). I just love it. But based in Manchester in the UK there are relatively few VX in the Country. I've met and chatted to a few but I estimate there are only about forty in the country (about 20 have been up for sale in the past 6 months) but I haven't yet see another 174 edition. The biggest problem is parts although many parts can be sauced from 98 Troopers, Isuzu dealer don't like to even mention the vehicross (saying that they will order parts from Japan/Sweden). But the biggest problem other than its mpg is the almost custom bits like the dash, the interior and the panels (skin). It was a purchase of the heart with (at the moment) no regrets.

Kirk

WormGod
03/24/2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/imags/01.jpg http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/imags/02.jpg

Man, that's a LOOOOONG drive to have to deal with window problems and clunky trans-shifts. ;)

Gussie2000
03/24/2009, 08:24 AM
Hi kirk glad we were able to answered your question.
Now the famous rally is held in south america (Brazil,argentina & chile) & that's due the lack of support the competition had suffered the past 5 years in europe & africa,I'm not indeed a big follower of the rally,but certainly was a huge event viewed world wide.

What outrage me about isuzu is the facts that they promptly stopped the support supplying basic parts such as body panels,cladding,roof racks & important pieces that cause many VX owners to had their VX's declared totalled with minimum damages.

Here's few active UK members,I'll name crotchrocket from london who bought his black VX few months ago & should be nice for you guys to organize your gets together & post pics of your rig.

Viatcheslav
03/24/2009, 08:34 AM
Hi and thanks for such a full and prompt reply.

Although I'm 'Just Looking' I have, within the last six months bought a JDM 175 Vehicross and very happy I'm with it. More then any other car I've owned this one get me all fired up. It is truely a bit of design and automotive history (the Dakar rally has given its name teeth). I just love it. But based in Manchester in the UK there are relatively few VX in the Country. I've met and chatted to a few but I estimate there are only about forty in the country (about 20 have been up for sale in the past 6 months) but I haven't yet see another 174 edition. The biggest problem is parts although many parts can be sauced from 98 Troopers, Isuzu dealer don't like to even mention the vehicross (saying that they will order parts from Japan/Sweden). But the biggest problem other than its mpg is the almost custom bits like the dash, the interior and the panels (skin). It was a purchase of the heart with (at the moment) no regrets.

Kirk

Hi, you could find some 175 LTD edition in Russia (Moscow), I have one 140/175, and I know some people in Russia who has LTD VX.
What your number?

Moncha
03/24/2009, 08:39 AM
** Warning! Thread Jacking in Progress! **

Welcome to our friends across the seas!!!!!!!

** Thread Jacking Over! **

don moore
03/24/2009, 01:35 PM
** Warning! Thread Jacking in Progress! **

Welcome to our friends across the seas!!!!!!!

** Thread Jacking Over! **
lol....
im not sure what kind of jack I should use?