PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Bushings

JAMAS
03/23/2009, 07:28 AM
I ordered a set of front and rear energy suspension greasable sway bar bushings (the part numbers recommended). I am hoping to get rid of the "bouncing on my bed" squeak.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. If they are greasable, does that mean I need to apply grease when I install them, and if so, what kind of grease?

Thanks.

ojmagg
03/23/2009, 11:02 AM
No...they have zerk fittings...just use a grease gun and the grease that comes with it...while you're at it, the drive train has 2 fittings (near the rear end)...give them a squirt too...

etlsport
03/23/2009, 12:41 PM
you can grease them when you install them but be careful about it, what i did is put a small amount of grease in them before install to get a good coating, but if you do too much it can get hard to install them because they slip out of your hand when you try to fit them over the swaybars

if you can, try to have someone nearby to help you install them, the fronts can be a little tricky because they are close to the factory skid plate under the front cladding

Ascinder
03/23/2009, 07:39 PM
For swaybars use the thickest grease possible. I recommend Lucas X-tra heavy duty or Lucas Red N' Tacky. Both hold up very well for my sway bar bushings which are at higher angles than just about everyone.

VX4EJR
05/26/2009, 10:31 AM
Searched high and low on here and couldn't find the info on this...

When installing the front (energy suspension) greaseable bushings, where "should" the slit in the bushing itself face? There are two ways, facing down or facing up?
Problem I'm seeing is when I installed them facing up and then putting the brackets on, positioning, tightening, etc, done...the outer facing area of the slit (beyond under the metal bracket) does not close up or meet all the way on both fronts and I end up with a small but noticeable gap up there on the bushings. I tried putting them in facing down and the slit closes up tight on both front bushings. I don't know, maybe nothing of any concern but thought I'd see if anyone else experienced this and what the preferred install was? The back ones were no problem at all.

JAMAS
05/26/2009, 11:38 AM
I installed mine with the slit open on the side. Perhaps that is wrong.

The beast hasnt fallen apart yet (knock on wood) but perhaps it would be better installed the other way.

etlsport
05/26/2009, 06:06 PM
i cant really remember how mine went, ill take a look tomorrow.. if you want i can even give you a hand with them on thursday or friday evening

LittleBeast
05/26/2009, 09:31 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/FrontSwayBarBushing2.jpg

I guess mine are on the front side :)

Ldub
05/26/2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/FrontSwayBarBushing2.jpg

I guess mine are on the front side :)

Hey Ryan, if you have the time, could you please post the part #'s for the ones you have?

I have the part #'s that Moncha originally posted, but when I ordered them, they came in black...I like the red mo bettah...:thumbup:

Energy Suspension

Front: 9.5163G Greasable Sway Bar Bushing Set 28MM

Rear: 9.5156G Greasable Sway Bar Bushing Set 3/4” 19MM

I would assume that there would be an "R" in the part number, but not sure if it would be before or after the "G".

Thanks, L W

etlsport
05/27/2009, 06:02 AM
Hey Ryan, if you have the time, could you please post the part #'s for the ones you have?

I have the part #'s that Moncha originally posted, but when I ordered them, they came in black...I like the red mo bettah...:thumbup:

Energy Suspension

Front: 9.5163G Greasable Sway Bar Bushing Set 28MM

Rear: 9.5156G Greasable Sway Bar Bushing Set 3/4” 19MM

I would assume that there would be an "R" in the part number, but not sure if it would be before or after the "G".

Thanks, L W

dub, the "R" just takes place of the "G" iirc

Ldub
05/27/2009, 10:38 AM
dub, the "R" just takes place of the "G" iirc

Thanks Eric, but I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that the "G" stood for greasable, & thought that might have to be included in the part # somewhere...:_confused

MSHardeman
05/27/2009, 11:00 AM
Dub, when I ordered mine I thought that there was a place on the Energy Suspension website that allowed you to pick the color. I could be totally off base though.

Oh, oh, just hit ES's website and at the bottom of this page: http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/tableco.html it says "For Black Product - use color code "G" after the part number" "For Red Product - use color code "R" after the part number.

Ldub
05/27/2009, 11:07 AM
QUOTE=MSHardeman;159538]Dub, when I ordered mine I thought that there was a place on the Energy Suspension website that allowed you to pick the color. I could be totally off base though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mark

I haven't even looked at a website yet, but I guess that should'v come to mind...:rolleyes:

A rock ate one of mine in Moab...you should hear the noise a non-bushed sway bar makes when going over bumps...:eek:

(no worries, got temp duct tape-N-bubblegum fix till get some new ones...:smilewink)

I'll have to check that out...Thanks!

Dood, a link too?...SWEET !:dance:

LittleBeast
05/27/2009, 11:33 AM
yup - energy suspension part # 9.5163R and 9.5156R (R for RED, RRRRRRRRRR, schiver me tibers matie!)

Ldub
05/27/2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks Rrrrrrrrrrryan...& Eric, & Mark...:cool:

Ldub
05/27/2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks Eric, but I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that the "G" stood for greasable, & thought that might have to be included in the part # somewhere...:_confused

Ah HAaaaaaa. G=Black...makes sence...:_confused

VX4EJR
05/28/2009, 06:06 AM
Anyone else have input on my post? boo-hoo.....:confused:

Searched high and low on here and couldn't find the info on this...

When installing the front (energy suspension) greaseable bushings, where "should" the slit in the bushing itself face? There are two ways, facing down or facing up?
Problem I'm seeing is when I installed them facing up and then putting the brackets on, positioning, tightening, etc, done...the outer facing area of the slit (beyond under the metal bracket) does not close up or meet all the way on both fronts and I end up with a small but noticeable gap up there on the bushings. I tried putting them in facing down and the slit closes up tight on both front bushings. I don't know, maybe nothing of any concern but thought I'd see if anyone else experienced this and what the preferred install was? The back ones were no problem at all.

Ldub
05/28/2009, 07:03 AM
Sorry for the T J...:mbrasd: I'll try to behave myself better...:yes:

MSHardeman
05/28/2009, 08:02 AM
I don't know if it really matters which way you install them, but I installed my Energy Suspension bushings with the slit facing down. I think that my reasoning might have been that in that position, even though the bushing is closed up tight, that if anything got in there it would then work it's way out away from the sway bar.:_confused Hey, I never said it was a valid reason....just my reason.

LittleBeast
05/28/2009, 09:52 AM
I just left them the way they were as shipped so as you can see in the photo I have had great success with them as shown.

etlsport
05/28/2009, 10:21 AM
yea i just checked mine, one is facing up one is facing down :rollb: thats what i get for not doing both myself.. anyway it doesnt appear to matter i havent had issues with either in probably 2 years.. when the slit faces the front of the car its definitely closed up better though

LittleBeast
05/28/2009, 11:00 AM
when the slit faces the front of the car its definitely closed up better though

Now that you mention it I remember turning the bushings to this orientation because when I was tightening them down with them facing the rear of the VX they were not sealing well at all, so I would suggest the slit facing the front of the VX like in the photo I posted.