PDA

View Full Version : Found 3 Zerks, Where are the rest?

Navigator
07/21/2003, 06:16 AM
So far i have only found 3 greasable zerks on my 1999 VX, all on the drive shaft joints. Are there any more? and if so where? Post pics if you got them, and please be detailed in your response. Thanks :)

Tone
07/21/2003, 11:33 AM
You have found them all - congratulations!

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/21/2003, 12:22 PM
Since the VX has no zerks on the front end, I've always sprayed the rubber on the suspension parts (i.e. tie-rod ends, etc..) and the CV boots with silicon spray....usually twice a year...spring and fall...that way you keep the rubber soft and pliable and there is less chance of it rupturing and losing the grease within it. Once this happens the part will no doubt wear out and will need replaced.

I do this as well with my Fiero and it has 180,000 miles on it and the CV boots still look good!

Spike
07/21/2003, 01:56 PM
Any chance of putting her on a lift and taking pictures of what to look for? :)

Navigator
07/21/2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Tone
You have found them all - congratulations!

Yay !!!! :dance:

And thanks for the silicone spray tip Jolly, that's a great idea.

Heraclid
07/21/2003, 08:12 PM
What in the heck is a zerk fitting, first of all? I want to grease mine too, but I'm a real newbie to most of this stuff. At least now I know where to look and will get up under mine tomorrow afternoon and take a look around.

I also appreciate the silicone suggestion, and will do that as well.

Navigator
07/21/2003, 08:22 PM
Zerks are brass nipples that you attach your greese gun to in order to lubricate moving parts without disassembly. The VX has only 3, neatly lined up in a row along the drive shaft at each joint. I don't have any pics, but I'll be under my VX this weekend to replace the fuel filter so I'll post some after that.

Heraclid
07/21/2003, 08:36 PM
Thanks - I think I've seen pics before actually and didn't know what I was looking at. Now I have a pretty good idea but posting the pics for me or anyone else couldn't hurt though - I appreciate the help!