PDA

View Full Version : Front Headrest Removal Revisited

JULIAN911
03/22/2009, 07:56 PM
I found a thread below from '05 where TheBear54 gave the answer on how to remove the headrest but I just tried to night and could not locate any pins when I pulled the headrest to its fully extended position. What am I doing wrong? anyone has pics of these pins?

"According to the 2001 owner's manual: "The front headrests are not intended to be removed by the vehicle owner in normal use" "The headrest can be removed by dealership for service".
However, in the 1999 Isuzu SUV Reference Book the headrests can be removed after they are pulled up fully to expose the two push points under the headrest pins(they are located in the front of the seats as they are facing the dash)"

don moore
03/22/2009, 08:03 PM
whats gauges are those ..tilt indicator from..or were did you get them
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6862/ppuser/1417
didnt mean to change the post..i didknow the front headrests could be removed

JULIAN911
03/22/2009, 08:38 PM
Inclinator from JCWhitney

don moore
03/22/2009, 08:39 PM
thx

Triathlete
03/22/2009, 08:48 PM
If they are the same as the rears there is a small "button" on the side of the black plastic "cap" that you push in to release the headrest as you pull it out.

circmand
03/24/2010, 06:19 PM
Anyone figure this out yet? For those of you who bought seat covers how did you get them on? Are the backs and headrests one piece?

deermagnet
03/24/2010, 06:38 PM
I just Googled 'how to remove recaro seat headrest' and lots of people have this same problem. It looks like ya have to get inside the seat and remove clips on the shafts that prevent them from coming out.

The back of our front seats have a plastic panel. I would gently pry around the edges to find out how it's held on. If ya can get that panel off, you're in and will have full access to the goods, apparently. :_confused

I hope the seat is not booby trapped. :bwgy:

Mark

circmand
03/25/2010, 07:19 AM
I just Googled 'how to remove recaro seat headrest' and lots of people have this same problem. It looks like ya have to get inside the seat and remove clips on the shafts that prevent them from coming out.

The back of our front seats have a plastic panel. I would gently pry around the edges to find out how it's held on. If ya can get that panel off, you're in and will have full access to the goods, apparently. :_confused

I hope the seat is not booby trapped. :bwgy:

Mark

taking them apart is not something I worry about. Getting them back together correctly is something I do worry about.

All I want to do is put on seat covers. What have others done?

tom4bren
03/25/2010, 07:34 AM
I cut the head rest cover, slipped them over then put a strip of Ye Ol' Duct Tape along the cut on the inside & pressed in into place.

Of course my seat covers were of the Cheapo variety from AutoZone. Not sure I'd try that approach on some really nice ($$$) covers.

MSHardeman
03/25/2010, 08:15 AM
I knew I had seen this before. A couple of years ago someone was looking at putting heaters in their seats:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10131&highlight=recaro+disassembly

In the thread, at post #33, darkl4805 found link on how to disassemble our seats:
http://www.mothermary.com/vx/recaro_disassembly/index.html

I have these instructions printed out, and have used them a couple of times to disassemble (and then reassemble) my seats. The one big caution (and I think that he mentions this in the instructions) is taking the plastic covers off of the sides of the seats under the back adjustment knob. The covers are held on by a plastic "expansion" clip that is molded into the back of the cover. I ended up breaking all of those clips because they are so brittle and delicate. The covers go back on just fine, and stay in place without those clips, but it bugs me knowing that they are broken.

The instructions don't show how to remove the head rest, but at least you'll be able to take the seats apart and put them back together now while trying to figure it out.

circmand
03/25/2010, 09:40 AM
who has seat cushions and did they come with seperate head rest covers and what did you do

RickOKC
03/25/2010, 10:52 AM
You have probably seen this, but there is a diagram in the 1999 VX Owner's Manual PDF File (http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx8/vx99man.pdf) on page 47 of 189.