PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody purchased a warranty????

Ben KVX
03/22/2009, 07:14 PM
My 01 has 55k, I checked with the dealer my wife works for and they offer a bumper to bumper 48 mo/48,000 mile warranty that is just like the original for $2,300. Seems high but a window fix, coolant leak or one of the many items that seem to fail it might be well worth it. Has anybody done this? How did it work? Thanks, and everybody have a good spring break.......

JoFotoz
03/22/2009, 08:12 PM
I took a 48 month Warranty...

...spent about $1800 out of $2400.

BUT...I had VERY low mileage.....REALLY LOW!

I say take it...unless yer handy with basic repairs.

jo

Riff Raff
03/23/2009, 05:06 AM
Ditto, I'd go for it. I used to have a 1991 Subaru XT-10 4WD Turbo Coupe with OEM push-button hi/lo body lift. It had an aluminum engine with steel sleeves. Within a few months after purchase, it overheated and totally seized the engine. The extended warranty saved my @ss and they put in a rebuilt engine with free labor. After it was fixed, I sold it as quickly as I could.

The extended warranty programs work "IF" that rainy day may come. It's a gamble-- you may need it some day, you may not; but it does give you peace of mind should something really bad happen mechanically. In today's world, it's not so much the parts that are expensive; it's the damn shop labor!!!

Marlin
03/23/2009, 07:39 AM
My 01 has 55k, I checked with the dealer my wife works for and they offer a bumper to bumper 48 mo/48,000 mile warranty that is just like the original for $2,300. Seems high but a window fix, coolant leak or one of the many items that seem to fail it might be well worth it. Has anybody done this? How did it work? Thanks, and everybody have a good spring break.......

Mine had about 115K when i bought, I got a 1 year, unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty for about $400. Here is the catch, they only pay $60 an hour labor!!!!!! If you go to a mom and pop, they can cushion it to work it out so you don't pay out of pocket, but to a dealership...you are out of luck. So make sure you read the fine print. I also have to do ALL the recommended maintenance, so at 120K, thats the big one, about $1100 worth of stuff, which I already had done. You also have to change the oil every 3K regardless of manufacture recommendation, unless you call them and get it in writing otherwise. I did, since I use full synthetic, they let me go 7K. So once again, read the small print.
$2300 seems high, try shoppin around?

VehiGAZ
03/23/2009, 08:31 AM
I bought a Nissan Quality Guard 4-yr/48k warranty on my VX when I bought it used (from an Infinity dealer) with 45k miles on the clock. Paid around $2k for the warranty with a $100 (per visit) deductible. It paid for parts and labor for anything that needed replacing (if it was in need of cleaning or adjustment only, they did not cover it).

In the end, the warranty paid for about $2700 worth of repairs in that time, so it worked for me, but like $1400 of that was for the rebuild of the rear differential due to an annoying but probably innocuous intermittant squeal. Without that repair, I would have spent more on the warranty than it cost me, so it was aclose call.

Here's important info - a dealer marks up the warranty just like any other part. You should be able to bargain with them on the price of the warranty. Make sure you let them know that for you, it's either they sell it to you for $1900 or you don't buy one at all. That's the only way they will budge...

Scott Harness
03/23/2009, 09:18 AM
I just bought one and I "think" I'm going to cancel it. The fine print is really scary.
They will only pay if something breaks,if something is just worn-out they won't pay.It actually has to break first.
Minimal labor pay.
If the motor goes, they want to inspect all fluids!
It really sounds like it will be like pulling teeth.Too much hassle:eek:

tom4bren
03/23/2009, 10:24 AM
My only experience with an aftermarket warranty was bad. They will do ANYTHING to get out of paying so the small print is critical. Hoses, belts, steering components (basically anything that makes a car go) aren't covered.

The only good that came of it was that I found out immediately & was able to get my money back.