PDA

View Full Version : Stalled on Highway going 65

Baldwin
03/16/2009, 09:59 PM
I was on the highway going 65 and my VX engine light came on and nothing was happening. I pushed the gas and saw the tac rev a little, but then it stopped. I hit the hazard light and pulled over to the side. I turned everything off and started it back up and made my way home. Not sure what to do. Seems to be ok now, but worried it'll happen again.

etlsport
03/16/2009, 10:19 PM
i had that happen to me once.. i changed my fuel filter and used some fuel treatment and it didnt happen anymore after that.. i had fuel related issues such as stalling at idle a couple of other times after that until i replaced my fuel pressure regulator, havent had any issues since then

Riff Raff
03/16/2009, 11:22 PM
i had that happen to me once.. i changed my fuel filter and used some fuel treatment and it didnt happen anymore after that.. i had fuel related issues such as stalling at idle a couple of other times after that until i replaced my fuel pressure regulator, havent had any issues since then

x2...........Sounds exactly like a bad "fuel filter" symptom, so change it immediately!!! ETLSPORT is right on target with his diagnosis (good job).

BBVX
03/17/2009, 05:23 AM
it's happened to us three or four times over the past nine years. always started right back up and ran fine. a few times we had a lot of accessories on: a/c, radio, lights, wipers, etc.
it hasn't happened in quite a while, and there doesn't seem to be any damage from it. it's just kind of unsettling when it happens, but i wouldn't worry about it unless it starts happening regularly.

Gussie2000
03/17/2009, 08:20 AM
x2...........Sounds exactly like a bad "fuel filter" symptom, so change it immediately!!! ETLSPORT is right on target with his diagnosis (good job).

Hi guys.
I'll also suggest to change your fuel filter,plus use fuel treatment from a good brand;Personally I use an bottle every 15 days when I refuel along with 93 octane fuel

All the lighting that goes on whenever the VX stall is probably to warn the driver that the engine isn't processing any combustion & void any further problems since is a common situation when stall happens;Also consider replacing the fuel pump & check the voltage current related to the fuel pump wiring

newthings
03/17/2009, 09:12 AM
What codes show up?
Roy

etlsport
03/17/2009, 10:02 AM
when mine stalled no codes showed up, and the light was gone on startup

nfpgasmask
03/17/2009, 10:40 AM
And Baldwin, don't be afraid to change the fuel filter yourself, it's REALLY easy and there is a thread somewhere that tell you how to do it.

Bart

jn
05/02/2012, 05:43 PM
This happened to me tonight while driving about 5mph in a parking lot at my daughter's school. None of the lights came on when it happened, the engine just shut off. She started right back up - no problems, no lights on the dash. Has this happened to anyone else recently - since this thread is 3+ years old? Anyone have a different diagnosis? Last question - is there a fuel treatment brand out there everyone agrees on as the best? Thanks in advance.

Y33TREKker
05/02/2012, 05:52 PM
Fuel Pressure Regulator and/or fuel filter are as likely a suspects in this case as any when it comes to the VX.

For fuel system system cleaners I would personally recommend a bottle of Chevron Fuel System Cleaner with Techron. (Available just about anywhere).

Triathlete
05/02/2012, 06:17 PM
I like the Lucas products...available at most parts stores.

Mile High VX
05/02/2012, 06:21 PM
I like the Lucas products...available at most parts stores.

X2...with every tank...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Bulldoggie
05/02/2012, 09:42 PM
I got a really bad fuel problem after having a quick few gallons added at a strange station (Town Pump)
You'll find that fuel filter under the car by the tunnel just forward of the rear passenger wheel.
I used the Seafoam product, but I had to double up, after the new filter got loaded up too.
The mandated ethanol added to our fuel attracts water.
I think water in the fuel is going to get more and more common.

Baldwin
05/02/2012, 10:01 PM
It got so bad that I almost wrecked. Stalled in the middle of a turn and lost power steering. Went straight and had to force the wheel to complete the turn so I didn't crash into the car also turning next to me. CEL finally came on this time and took it in. It was a gummed up Air Control Valve. They ended up just replacing it rather than cleaning it. They flushed out the fuel line at the same time. Has been great for the last year with no probs since.