PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gauge mis-read

crager34
03/16/2009, 11:13 AM
Lately my gas gauge has not been reading right.... AT ALL!! It's not dancing either. Sometimes by half tank my trip-o-meter says anywhere from 50 to 100 miles. Once I was almost to half a tank and only put in 5 gallons of gas. I do the math and am still getting normal MPG's. Coming home from Breck yesterday I was a bit over 20 MPG, so this isn't an engine problem (I think).

Any thoughts on this one or is it just a poor float?

pbkid
03/16/2009, 11:17 AM
darrin-
im having the same problem...i checked my mileage on the way up there to see what i got uphill vs. downhill....every time i fill up, it stays at full for about 50 miles, then drops like a rock to 1/2 then it seems to be about normal from 1/2 to 1/4 then it goes really slow from 1/4 down...and i dont have a gas light anymore (i dont think, i havent seen it in a long time and i usually put about 20-21 gallons into the 22 gallon tank)

So-CalVX
03/16/2009, 12:38 PM
I'm getting my normal 14-16MPG's but I get fifty miles out of half a tank and then about 225 out of the second half

Yeah... my VX sucks on mileage still :(

JHarris1385
03/16/2009, 01:52 PM
Same here...

I get a consistent 15.5 or more overall but the first half goes by quick on the dash at least.

MSHardeman
03/16/2009, 01:54 PM
It seems like we're all having the same issue. After I fill up my gauge will drop to 3/4 tank in about five miles and dances around like a chihuahua on crack. It quickly drops to 1/2 tank after that and then takes a long time to get down to empty. I'm still getting the same gas milage that I always did, but the gauge mis-read is really starting to bug me. Would replacing the sending unit in the tank take care of this?

Gussie2000
03/16/2009, 07:08 PM
I guess i'm lucky,i haven't had any issues with my gauge so far,works perfectly,i also think the sending unit may need replacement or adjusments.

tjh
03/16/2009, 08:00 PM
My gas meter has ADHD! I find it very annoying and distracting . I keep peeking at it to see what kind of silly place the needle will be. When I fill up it will be either past full or at .75 full , But just for a second or two then it will change ,then go back and so on ,for about 60 miles . Then wham o .25 of a tank left ? I am getting about 17 mpg between refuels . I do a lot of mixed driving (highway/city ) . All in all I still love my dragon , and this community . Dang I need to get (TJH) into that nifty green color .

don moore
03/16/2009, 08:14 PM
My gas meter has ADHD!

LOL..:p

Ldub
03/16/2009, 08:30 PM
Dang I need to get (TJH) into that nifty green color .

Ya know how to do that, right?...:smilewink

mdwyer
03/17/2009, 07:32 AM
Lately my gas gauge has not been reading right.... AT ALL!!

darrin-
im having the same problem...i checked my mileage on the way up there to see what i got uphill vs. downhill....

Is it a Colorado/altitude thing?? I filled up in Denver. When I left Breck, it said I was down to less than half a tank. However, when I stopped off in Frisco to fill up the tires :rolleyes:, I was only able to fit 5 gallons in the tank. There are some serious accuracy problem with the gas gauge...

etlsport
03/17/2009, 07:52 AM
i wonder if it could be related to the location? my gas gauge has been crazy accurate for the last year or so.. F at 22 gallons.. 3/4 at 17 gallons.. 1/2 at 12 gallons.. 1/4 at 7 gallons.. E at 2 gallons.. like clockwork

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/18/2009, 01:59 AM
I have the same issues....tried removing cluster and slightly tightening screws on gauge as someone recommended but it did nothing for me.

I also tried Lucas Fuel treatment (added to tank) and it seemed to help for about a month or less and than the symptoms returned. Although, as of late, it seems to free up the gauge only while I am running the treated gas....then, when I drive on the next fill-up (untreated) the symptoms return.