PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen

nfpgasmask
03/13/2009, 09:54 AM
OK, so who has gone to see it and what did you think? I'm curious (and bored).

Bart

Dumke
03/13/2009, 10:33 AM
I watched it the night it came out. I have to say I was really impressed with this movie. Sevral tv shows said there was non stop action first 40 some odd minutes and best but toward the end was bleh. Course I didnt pay attention that much was blown away with the camera angles and the CGI, it was top notch. I was however a little lost at first because I hadnt read teh novel or comic and thought man this movie is gonna suck.. I mean how did these people come to be?? Why is this guy blue and these people in these ridiculous mask. Well it all explains it in movie and does a pretty good job of it imo.. Thought I was watching the "Full Monty" for a moment there lol with the blue "twig and berries" flashing on ths screen. But hey if I was Dr Manhattan who is gonna tell me otherwise? (sorry for the visual)

FYI: Do not wait for end of credits because it just means longer that you will have to hold it. Also go before movie starts. Trust me you dont want to miss anything There is nothing at the end. The movie with previews ran 2:53.

nfpgasmask
03/13/2009, 10:41 AM
LOL, yeah, it was a stretch for me to hold it too. I purposefully drank and ate nothing before I went into the theater.

If you liked the movie, I would encourage you to pick up the graphic novel from Borders and read it. I read it for the first time in January. I heard about the movie, and remembered the comic from way back when, but I never read it until now. It really is quite a good read, as far as comics go, and the film is pretty much taken nearly line for line, scene for scene outta the books.

Bart

kodiak
03/13/2009, 10:56 AM
I liked it. It was long but they had to cram a lot in to it. I haven稚 read the comic yet but I have some friends that have and they field in a few of the blanks for me. Be sure and take the kids, I知 sure they値l have some questions about Dr Manhattans junk.;)

Dumke
03/13/2009, 11:24 AM
LOL, yeah, it was a stretch for me to hold it too. I purposefully drank and ate nothing before I went into the theater.

If you liked the movie, I would encourage you to pick up the graphic novel from Borders and read it. I read it for the first time in January. I heard about the movie, and remembered the comic from way back when, but I never read it until now. It really is quite a good read, as far as comics go, and the film is pretty much taken nearly line for line, scene for scene outta the books.

Bart

Ya I heard was picture for picture with comic.

Dumke
03/13/2009, 11:25 AM
I liked it. It was long but they had to cram a lot in to it. I haven稚 read the comic yet but I have some friends that have and they field in a few of the blanks for me. Be sure and take the kids, I知 sure they値l have some questions about Dr Manhattans junk.;)

LOL um ya had a hard enough time hoping they didnt hear masterbate on transformers...

nfpgasmask
03/13/2009, 11:55 AM

I thought it was awesome that they didn't give John an ambiguous lump. I hate that kinda of stupid, pointless censorship. It is REALLY funny how John's unit comes up in EVERY Watchmen conversation I have read online though. I really don't understand why making the human body anatomically correct on screen is such a big deal?!?!? We all have genitalia, why hide it? It wasn't like they made a spectacle of it on purpose, it was just there, right where it should be.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
03/13/2009, 12:22 PM
Was wondering if Bart or Kodiak was gonna start this one...
A very good adaptation of a ground breaking story!
I thought that it was very well done, and would encourage anyone with an attention span greater than a three year old's to check it out.
I was pleasently surprised that most of the source material's diolouge made it to the final cut. The original 12 issue series was hailed for a reason.
One very cool bit concerns the last scene with Rorschach. I love how they took advantage of his namesake for his last scene in the film. It was brilliant, and looking back, I am very surprised they missed that opportunity in the comic....
Did not mind the "Under the Hood, Black Freighter" missing subplot, since an interview with Snyder revealed extensive footage was shot and will be included in the Director's cut Blu Ray!
Best,

nfpgasmask
03/13/2009, 12:36 PM
Was wondering if Bart or Kodiak was gonna start this one...
A very good adaptation of a ground breaking story!
I thought that it was very well done, and would encourage anyone with an attention span greater than a three year old's to check it out.
I was pleasently surprised that most of the source material's diolouge made it to the final cut. The original 12 issue series was hailed for a reason.
One very cool bit concerns the last scene with Rorschach. I love how they took advantage of his namesake for his last scene in the film. It was brilliant, and looking back, I am very surprised they missed that opportunity in the comic....
Did not mind the "Under the Hood, Black Freighter" missing subplot, since an interview with Snyder revealed extensive footage was shot and will be included in the Director's cut Blu Ray!
Best,

James, I agree with everything you said. Leaving out the subplots was a very wise decision, as was changing that one minor detail in the end (no robo-octopus). I think this was by far the most faithful comic to screen adaptation I have ever seen. You know The Black Freighter is coming out as an anime soon, right? I think this is a cool way of bringing that aspect of the story to life. I can't wait to see the extended version of the film. My only hope is that one of the scenes cut was the killing of Hollis Mason, as I think this is a very big piece of the story that was left out...

You all can read my full review here:

http://nfpgasmask.livejournal.com/67525.html

Rorschach was amazing to watch!

Bart

cyronman
03/13/2009, 06:17 PM
Saw it opening day. I had never heard of it before, but my best friend knew everything about it and dragged me along. It was cool...interesting even during the slooooow middle part. Not anything that I was expecting, yet a wonderful looking film.

Cy

johnnyapollo
03/14/2009, 09:41 PM
I still haven't gone - surprising as I was such a geek for the comic - I own several variations of the series in hardcover and softcover, including a french edition printed in 6 volumes and even some gaming supplements. I've been so excited by the trailers but after missing it on opening night I haven't been in a big hurry to go see it.

-- John

WormGod
03/16/2009, 07:48 AM
I read the graphic novel years and years ago. Loved it. I am afraid to see the film. I had a buddy who only recently read the novel and saw the movie and his response was.... "eh, it was ok". I take it with a grain of salt though since he is more into manga ****, hahaha.

Reserving my view/opinion for at-home when it is on BluRay. I can dissect it easier. ;)

nfpgasmask
03/16/2009, 08:28 AM
Reserving my view/opinion for at-home when it is on BluRay. I can dissect it easier. ;)

Plus you can pause it so you won't have to fast like I did before I went into the theater. :D

Bart

don moore
03/17/2009, 12:47 AM
just watched it on my lcd .. i enjoyed it ..it was in the old style dark comic..
makes me want to read the books now ..lol