PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys carry?

WiSDoM
03/11/2009, 04:52 PM
I have been look at handguns lately. I have been looking at a few Sig Sauers; p220 .45, p226 .40, p239 .40 SAS. what do you guys think and what do you shot?

pbkid
03/11/2009, 06:01 PM
i was gonna get concealed permit this year, but then i thought about it and im gonna be in some type of law enforcement by next year, so ill get the concealed permit without having to pay extra for it...so i just figured i would wait till then...
oh, and i dont know much about guns, just that ill make a good officer...sorry no input on what to buy :(

Ascinder
03/11/2009, 07:06 PM
For concealed carry, it boils down to a lot of personal preference. How big or small are your hands? Do you like revolvers or semi-autos(sounds like semis)? Do you prefer single action(SA), double action(DA), or SA/DA?Is the gun going to be comfortable to wear for up to 8 hours at a time? What are your plans for summer when it's hot and you are likely wearing shorts and a T-shirt? Do you like to carry inside the waistband(IWB), ankle, belt, pocket, jacket, etc. How accurate are you with said gun? A well placed shot with a .22 does more damage than a miss with a .45.(But not by much:rolleyes:). Are you trying to wound someone to get away or kill someone so they don't sue you later? The general rule is to carry the largest caliber you feel comfortable with. Do you live in an area where you will likely be up against someone packing also, where it could develop into a gunfight so ammo capacity is a consideration? Start answering questions like these for yourself and you will start really narrowing things down. I don't know if you're familiar with the 21 foot rule or not, but it simply states that when someone carrying a knife comes within 21 feet of you and you have a concealed pistol, you are pretty much dead before you can fully draw. We practiced this many times in my concealed weapons class, and the knife won every time. My point is to learn to shoot mainly at 20ft. or better since you are screwed otherwise. I personally now carry an EAA Witness Elite Match in 10MM, it is a 15+1 single action. Do some research on that round. It's very nasty (pretty much a .40 cal magnum). EAA makes a model called a P carry in 10MM. The nice thing about the Witness line, is that you can change calibers simply by swapping out the slide. They have conversion kits that are ~$200 each in the following calibers: 10MM, .45, .40, .38 super, .357 SIG(custom), 9MM, .380, and .22 LR. I also recommend looking into a thing called Clipdraw. It's like a knife clip for your gun. Mine weighs about 2-1/4 pounds, and the clipdraw holds it fine. I carry in a cargo pocket since I always wear either cargo pants or cargo shorts. The advantages are that you can reach it from a seated or standing position which is nice. It is also fairly subtle since the cargo pocket is naturally baggy anyways. I do recommend a pad between the gun and your knee or you'll be sorry.

Riff Raff
03/11/2009, 07:21 PM
WISDOM--- Yes, I carry a handgun in my right-rear pants pocket everyday. In case I'm ever robbed, I'll just say-- "Don't shoot, I'm just gonna' reach for my wallet." Then it's surprize time on him. I practice a mock scenario daily so I'm always trained and prepared should this ever happen to me.

My daily carry gun is an AMT Back-Up in .380 caliber, fully loaded with Black-Talon ammunition. The .380 caliber is essentially the same as a 9mm, except with a short stubby casing. The .380 caliber is truly a manstopper at close range. However, the .380 caliber is the very smallest caliber I would ever consider to carry for personal protection. The AMT .380 Back-Up is extremely compact and undetectable in my rear pants pocket, even when wearing a tucked-in shirt and no jacket. People only see a slight buldge in my rear pants pocket and naturally assume it's a fat wallet.

If I was ever going to replace it with an alternate weapon; it would be the Para-Ordnance "Wart Hog" sub-compact .45 ACP. This is the world's smallest .45 ACP with a high capacity magazine which is double-staggered. What I like about the .45 ACP round is that it makes a big hole going in, and a bigger hole going out!!! Personally; I like very big calibers in very small packages with very high capacity, and the Para-Ordnance "Wart Hog" .45 ACP sub-compact meets that criteria unlike any other handgun in the world, period.

The other self defense weapon I carry is the Kimber - Guardian Angel Pepper Blaster. This is a super lightweight Pepper Spray Blaster that clips to your trouser belt and shoots Pepper Spray out at over 90 MPH with a two-shot capacity.

I own a Tavern, and have had to use it once already on an unruly bar patron who got outta' hand. He was 6'4" and 260 lbs. It dropped him like a sack of potatoes to the floor, totally rendering him harmless as he whimpered and screamed "I can't see, I can't see!!!" My bouncer's merely picked him up and guided him out the front door like a blind man where he lied in the middle of the parking lot crying and covering his eyes. Priceless.

The other weapon I use in my Tavern is a Police Model M-26 Taser with bright yellow striping and built-in Laser Sight. Over the past 10 years I've Tasered a total of 6 people for various disturbances. 100% success rating, regardless of physical build. A very effective, and extremely intimidating weapon; especially with the bright red Laser Sight activated in a dark dim-lit tavern environment. The sheer sight of it will immediately calm down an unruly tavern crowd in a matter of seconds. However, the Taser is the exact same size as a full-sized Glock handgun and just way too big to carry, so it remains behind the bar counter until absolutely needed. That's why the Kimber - Guardian Angel Pepper Blaster is my #1 choice for a non-lethal weapon to carry daily on my trouser belt.

I'm so impressed with the Kimber - Guardian Angel, that I now carry two(2) units; one belt-clipped on each hip (left & right) like "Billy The Kid", giving me a total of four(4) Pepper Blaster Shots. Most people think it's some sort of pager or blackberry when clipped to the trouser belt. This item is available from CABELA's for only about $40 each and is very, very wicked. Small, lightweight, and extremely effective while being a non-lethal weapon. Highly recommended, and perfect for both men & women.

Thus, between my twin Kimber - Guardian Angel's on each hip and my AMT .380 Back-Up with Black Talon's in my rear pants pocket; I'm totally armed to the teeth and nobody knows the wiser. I always wear a tucked-in shirt without a jacket and cover-up nothing. Riff Raff

JoFotoz
03/11/2009, 08:11 PM
I'm very ANTI GUNS...

...it's the British thang in me.

""Our Cops dont carry weapons""...and the 'killed by guns" % is WAY below the US stats.

Look at the figures...look at the "accidental"' shootings.

Yea Yea..I know.."the right to bear arms"....

..but it leads to escalation of harm........:eek:

Go watch a very profound movie called .."Green Street Hooligans"...

Just My opinion.

jo

psychos2
03/11/2009, 08:34 PM
I have a concealed weapon permit ,but the gun I have now is to big to carry. It is a ruger 44 magnum single action revolver. It was my dads pistol.I personally like the Glock G19 9mm I used to have in Fl. If I had to choose right now I would choose the G26 "Baby" Glock 9mm. shawn

Ldub
03/11/2009, 08:45 PM
I have a concealed weapon permit ,but the gun I have now is to big to carry. It is a ruger 44 magnum single action revolver. It was my dads pistol.I personally like the Glock G19 9mm I used to have in Fl. If I had to choose right now I would choose the G26 "Baby" Glock 9mm. shawn

I'll have to agree with Shawn, I'll be a Glock fanboy till' they pry my cold dead fingers from it's empty, & still smoking frame...:naughty:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/glockskw.jpg

nocturnalVX
03/11/2009, 08:58 PM
I'll have to agree with Shawn, I'll be a Glock fanboy till' they pry my cold dead fingers from it's empty, & still smoking frame...:naughty:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/glockskw.jpg

I would have sworn that Larry's response would be about "carrying", not packing. As in, "Hey Dude! Are you carrying?" Learn something new everyday. :eek:

Ldub
03/11/2009, 09:03 PM
I would have sworn that Larry's response would be about "carrying", not packing. As in, "Hey Dude! Are you carrying?" Learn something new everyday. :eek:

Oh, how you DO make me laugh brother Gill...:laughgray

VXIRONwoMAN
03/11/2009, 09:31 PM
After taking various martial arts and self defense courses (Boxing, Judo, Muay Thai, BJJ, Escrima, Close Quarters Combat, etc.), I have learned that I can be more dangerous than any weapon out there, no matter how big the opponent. I have dropped 220+ pound men. These were the trainers I took down... No Weapons... all Tactic!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/roland.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/kennyh.jpg

Your weapon is only good if you can keep it in your hands. In Chicago, hand guns are not legal PERIOD! Though a shotgun could be fun to carry around the city... my arms would get tired. I have considered getting my CWC before, but found that the training I would use most is in tactical self defense.

Wanna wrassle???

pbkid
03/12/2009, 12:46 AM
really cece??

9 years tang soo do

3 years kung fu

1 year jujitsu

;)

crotchrocket
03/12/2009, 04:58 AM
WTF do you need to carry a hand gun around?? Are things really that bad over there? Or is it the whole nuclear weapon thing, if everyone has one they won't get used?? Or do you just shoot the **** out of each other?

CrnCnn
03/12/2009, 06:35 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/hijack.gif

Boxing, Judo, Muay Thai, BJJ, Escrima, Close Quarters Combat, etc.

really cece??

9 years tang soo do

3 years kung fu

1 year jujitsu

;)

Man I am a lazy fool. I want to take classes but am two things, Shy(CHICKEN) and broke.

Wanna wrassle???
Yes. But I think you would hurt me.

JAMAS
03/12/2009, 06:55 AM
Go watch a very profound movie called .."Green Street Hooligans"...

That is an awesome movie. A must see.

VehiGAZ
03/12/2009, 07:01 AM
I'll have to agree with Shawn, I'll be a Glock fanboy till' they pry my cold dead fingers from it's empty, & still smoking frame...

You forgot to add a descriptor in there... it should be: "from it's empty, JAMMED, and still-smoking frame..."

Yeah, I know what I just started. :eek: But I don't think much of Glocks. Whether it's at the range or in the news (like the guy who just shot the priest at the church) when I hear of a pistol jamming, it's almost always a Glock. Notice how most po-po depts don't use them anymore?

I'm a Heckler & Koch man, myself. I have an H&K USP .40 compact. A good carry pistol, but I don't carry. Buy quality if you're going to rely on a pistol for your safety.

Riff Raff's advice seems very solid to me, but his needs are different than most people's...

WiSDoM
03/12/2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Where I live there have been a few home invasion. One of my families friends happen to be one of the victims, he was stabbed a couple of times and had all his front teeth kicked in. Not real sure if a gun would have helped out in his case, because the man broke in knowing our friend was home. He awoke to being stabbed and then the struggle ensued.
I have rifles for hunting and studied jujitsu for 3 years when I was in my twenties, but now with my back problems not so sure about my physical stability when it comes to hand to hand. I think it is important to explore all your options when it comes to protecting yourself and your family.
And for you English guys, I have a couple of English friends and they have more guns than anyone know. My friend Ned(English)told me the first thing he bought when he moved to the state was 44Mag like dirty Harry. Why I asked and he reply "Bescause I could.". Which at the time struck me really funny because my boy Ned was not right in the head and anyone lookin at Ned for the first time would see i. So to mess with Ned you would have to be alittle touched.

Thanks again for the input . I have much thinking to do. I will be taking a concealed weapons training class, but they recommend you use your own weapon. Here in Maine you need to have had weapons training to get a conceal permit.

nfpgasmask
03/12/2009, 09:10 AM
Now that I leave in Reno, I was thinking of getting my concealed permit, but I don't really feel the need to carry around town on a daily basis. I generally stay away from 'bad areas' and here in Reno they really aren't any, compared to when I lived in Chicago.

I open carry when I am out in the foot hills or camping way out in the middle of nowhere. I have run across some VERY STRANGE people out there, and believe me, the last thing I want is to get into a fire-fight in the middle of nowhere, but I also don't want to be forced to 'squeal like a pig'. I know, I know, I'm paranoid, watch to many movies, whatever.

The bottom line is that guns are made to kill, period. The argument for or against them is going to be here forever, no matter which side wins. Personally, I believe in my right to bear arms for multiple reasons. First of all, I enjoy shooting. Second, if this country ever 'implodes' (again, call me paranoid, but it is possible), I don't wanna be caught with my pants down. And third, there are way too many wack-jobs out there, and if someone ever enters my home and threatens my family, I am not going to let them violate my space without a fight. Also, I think guns are a survival tool. I don't hunt, nor do I believe in shooting defenseless animals, but if I was ever stranded and needed to eat, having a .22 to take rabbits with is not a bad idea. Aside from the recreational enjoyment I get from shooting, using a gun in a lethal manner is an ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT that I hope I NEVER come to in my lifetime.

Jo, you are correct. The stats are 100% there. But remember, in England (correct me if I am wrong) the regular police do not pack heat either, as far as I know, so the playing field is level. I honestly think that if our government disarms us, then we will be defenseless against further tyranny, and I simply do not have enough trust at this point. Furthermore, the problem in this country is that even if the guns were outlawed, there are already so many in circulation, legally and illegally, we will be stuck with another Prohibition type scenario. Illegal trafficking and gun crimes would sky rocket. Our jails are already overcrowded. :rolleyes:

I also think the laws should be 100% jurisdictional and not managed federally. Look at LA, Chicago, NY. There are WAY too many people packed into WAY to little space. Throw guns in the mix and its a recipe for disaster. There definitely needs to be regulations for big municipalities. But in rural areas and small towns, I simply do not see the need for strict gun control.

As I have said before, I would rather live in a slightly dangerous FREE country, than a completely safe and sterile country that is absolutely no fun. And I am not saying that guns are the only fun you can have, but when they take one freedom (and that freedom has everything to do with fighting back) they will take more of our freedoms, and sooner or later, you ain't gonna be wheeling NO WHERE. The most fun you will have will be eating McDonalds and watching American Idol. Trust me, our government has changed into something unrecognizable to most. They would much rather we all sit fat and happy paying for our $400,000 homes and filling up our SUVs and keeping our little mouths shut. Slavery is only a few laws away. Hell, we are practically there now. How many of you out there are already slaves to your debt?? :rotate: Sure, it was your choice, but the system is setup that way...

OK, I will shut the hell up with all that. To stay on topic, I have always heard that .40 is the smallest caliber one should carry considering stopping power. IMO, if you carry a gun, you should absolutely NEVER take it out unless you intend to pull the trigger. Again, this goes back to that ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT thing. I think anyone with half a brain cell understands that if you pull that trigger, your life (if you still have it) will never be the same afterwards, regardless if you are right or wrong in doing so.

Bart

nfpgasmask
03/12/2009, 09:18 AM
You forgot to add a descriptor in there... it should be: "from it's empty, JAMMED, and still-smoking frame..."

Yeah, I know what I just started. :eek: But I don't think much of Glocks. Whether it's at the range or in the news (like the guy who just shot the priest at the church) when I hear of a pistol jamming, it's almost always a Glock. Notice how most po-po depts don't use them anymore?

I'm a Heckler & Koch man, myself. I have an H&K USP .40 compact. A good carry pistol, but I don't carry. Buy quality if you're going to rely on a pistol for your safety.

Riff Raff's advice seems very solid to me, but his needs are different than most people's...

Funny, I have never had any problems with Glock. I don't personally own one, but I have a friend who has a very old G17, and man, he has probably put 3000 rounds of 9mm through it flawlessly. The thing I do not like about Glock is the look and feel. IMO, they are ugly as far as guns go, and I really don't care for the grip of a Glock. That said, I once had a H&K USP .45 and it was like holding a 2x4 in your hand. Just an absolutely terrible grip. I have a FN P9 and it is one nice piece. FN makes a quality gun as well as Walther. The Walther P9 and P22 have REALLY nice grips, like holding a stick of warm butter in your hand. :)

Bart

VehiGAZ
03/12/2009, 11:26 AM
That said, I once had a H&K USP .45 and it was like holding a 2x4 in your hand. Just an absolutely terrible grip.

Beauty is in the hand of the gun-holder... I tried Glocks, Rugers, S&W's, Berettas, etc. and never found one that seemed to properly fit my hand. When I first picked up an HK USP .40 at a gun show in MO, I knew that was the one. The tang fit my hand like no other ever had. It took a couple of years, but I ended up getting one.

As for Glocks - YMMV! I know a lot of people swear by them, and there are plenty of cases of flawless operation for thousands of rounds, but I've also seen too many of them jam (and really, ONE is too many!). At my cousin's bachelor party, two guys brought their Glocks (a 9 mm and a .40) to the firing range where we started the day (and oh, waht a day that was!), and BOTH of them jammed up. WTF?!?! I find that completely unacceptable - if I owned a gun that jammed even once, I'd sell it.

VehiGAZ
03/12/2009, 11:38 AM
WTF do you need to carry a hand gun around?? Are things really that bad over there? Or is it the whole nuclear weapon thing, if everyone has one they won't get used?? Or do you just shoot the **** out of each other?

Oh, settle down there across the pond! Ya'll know what kind of rednecks we are here in the US! This should not be news...

Between the cash and the drunks, anyone who owns a bar (like Riff Raff) needs to protect themselves as a matter of course. Ditto for a LOT of other professions - so yes, in some ways, things CAN BE that bad, depending one one's circumstances.

But most people that carry guns in the US don't need to - they do it just because they want to or because they can't very well distinguish between what they hear on the news and what happens in their life. I tried concealed carrying a couple of times when I lived in a more firearm-friendly state, and I did not care for how it felt - it was like I was deceiving everyone around me, including my good friends.

nfpgasmask
03/12/2009, 11:52 AM
Oh, settle down there across the pond! Ya'll know what kind of rednecks we are here in the US! This should not be news...

Hey now, speak for yourself! We're not all rednecks over here!! :p I really hate the stigma that comes with gun ownership. Yes, I have guns. But that doesn't mean I am some uneducated goober. It doesn't mean I hunt and kill defenseless animals. It doesn't mean I am a "gun nut". I'm sure I am a little "off" compared to most people, but....

:D Bart

newthings
03/12/2009, 11:55 AM
Only when I go to Portland.
I feel less safe but more aware.
S&W 5 shot 357 AirLite, hammerless, Crimson Trace, Glazer Safety Slugs in 38 sp.

The gun /self defense mentality is a product of our national permissiveness toward bad guys. We are left to defend ourselves. Secondly, we import a lot of trouble that has not benefited from the good things growing up in America teaches. (Hay, it used to count for something) Look to the four points of the compass to see sources of threat (Viet Nam gangs, Mexican gangs, Russian gangs, and even the drugs and bombs coming in from Canada.) American can’t decide if drugs are not to be tolerated or taxed. The people like Three Strikes and You Get Life, but we cannot afford to keep bad people in jail. I personally like Three Strikes and Your Dead – Today, on TV, pay per view, but free to prisons for the inmates viewing pleasure.

The pendulum continues to swing.

Keep your head on a swivel.
Roy

VehiGAZ
03/12/2009, 12:09 PM
Hey now, speak for yourself! We're not all rednecks over here!! :p I really hate the stigma that comes with gun ownership. Yes, I have guns. But that doesn't mean I am some uneducated goober. It doesn't mean I hunt and kill defenseless animals. It doesn't mean I am a "gun nut". I'm sure I am a little "off" compared to most people, but....

I assumed that our British brothers would not make these subtle distinctions and figure any gun-owning American for a redneck. I cannot say for certain that they'd be wrong to do so, either...:)

pbkid
03/12/2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Where I live there have been a few home invasion. One of my families friends happen to be one of the victims, he was stabbed a couple of times and had all his front teeth kicked in. Not real sure if a gun would have helped out in his case, because the man broke in knowing our friend was home. He awoke to being stabbed and then the struggle ensued.
I have rifles for hunting and studied jujitsu for 3 years when I was in my twenties, but now with my back problems not so sure about my physical stability when it comes to hand to hand. I think it is important to explore all your options when it comes to protecting yourself and your family.
And for you English guys, I have a couple of English friends and they have more guns than anyone know. My friend Ned(English)told me the first thing he bought when he moved to the state was 44Mag like dirty Harry. Why I asked and he reply "Bescause I could.". Which at the time struck me really funny because my boy Ned was not right in the head and anyone lookin at Ned for the first time would see i. So to mess with Ned you would have to be alittle touched.

Thanks again for the input . I have much thinking to do. I will be taking a concealed weapons training class, but they recommend you use your own weapon. Here in Maine you need to have had weapons training to get a conceal permit.

two things-
1- i think you are looking at a concealed weapons permit wrongly...you DO NOT need a concealed permit to keep a weapon in your own home! if your truely worried about home invasion buy some guns and keep em hidden around your home (no need to have a permit)

2- a gun is NOT going to help you at 'teeth kicking in' range....if they are that close to you, there is no way that you are going to be able to get your gun and get it all ready to go...buy a TASER, click a button, drop someone really quick (refer to riff raff, he explained how well they work at close range)

if you guys wanna discuss what type of guns everyone likes, there was a thread about 3 or 4 months ago about guns in general...as pertaining to the concealed permit, it sounds like you dont need one for your purposes..

Todd Adams
03/12/2009, 12:59 PM
Ya know it is all about freedom. I have the freedom to own firearms and have extended that freedom through training and an FBI background check to be able to carry a loaded weapon. It is plain and simple besides the fact that I grew up with guns. My dad bought me my first .22 at age 7 and I practiced on a firing range in our church basement with my fellow cub scouts. Guns have always been part of my life and my kids as well. Guns have to be respected but are safe in trained hands. We have one town here in Utah that it is illegal not to be armed in. Guess what, they don’t have a crime problem.

With that said I refer to the first post and question. Sigs are great guns, one of the most accurate hand guns I have ever shot, very tight grouping. My favorite is my 9MM Baby Eagle made in Israel, again very accurate. My wife has a Tarsus Millennium 9MM which weighs in at 9 ounces without the magazine. We both carry the very small North American Arms .22 mag revolvers made here in Utah. Someone asked me what all trpohies were when I posted a picture of my home theater. Half were for the Jeep the others were for shooting.
Todd

kodiak
03/12/2009, 02:48 PM
“Ooh, guns, guns, guns! Come on, Sal! The Tigers are playing...tonight! I never miss a game.”

I’ve been a lot of places and I’ve always felt safer in pro gun citys. All you need to do is check the mugging statistic. There’s not one place in Salt Lake City I’d feel unsafe waking in. But you go to a place like Baltimore in cretin parts of the city you start to feel like the stop signs are optional. Don’t get me wrong, I love Baltimore. I’ve had a gun for as long as I can remember and I’ve always felt more free because of it.
If you declaw a community and make them rely solely on the government to protect them all you get are more crime scenes to be investigated because the only ones that will be armed are the perps.

P.S. I love my "Sig GSR 1911" and my "Browning Hi Power". You can keep your Tupperware guns. :)

psychos2
03/12/2009, 03:50 PM
As far as the glocks jamming mine never did.And I have not heard of any jamming from my brother in law that is a nys trooper and they all carry 9mm glocks. I believe it is more the ammo than the gun. It says something in the owners manual about using the correct ammo. Cheap out on the ammo and what do you expect. And I believe It says not to use reloads also . I shot many rounds through the Glock I had and never had a problem. Another reason for guns jamming is not keeping them clean. A Glock would still be my first choice. And I did a search for the AMT Back-Up in .380 caliber And the forums talk about how much the jam. shawn

circmand
03/12/2009, 04:00 PM
will have guns.

Look at a list of US cities and their laws regarding guns. You have D.C. our capital that until recently even cops could not keep guns in their homes and it was one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Ditto NY City Baltimore, Chicago etc. Look at cities that allow gun ownership like Houston and Dallas while by no means are you safe walking through downtown in the hood at midnight flashing a wad of cash but the fact that you may have a gun is a deterent.

nfpgasmask
03/12/2009, 04:06 PM
I believe it is more the ammo than the gun.

I would have to agree here. Some guns are more sensitive to crappy ammo, some are not. Cheap-o Federal brand 9mm did jam once or twice in the G17 I mentioned above now that I think of it. But then, the cheap Russian Wolf 9mm works flawlessly in it. So go figure.

Personally, I like firearms that cycle anything you stick in there. :D

Bart

psychos2
03/12/2009, 06:28 PM
1- i think you are looking at a concealed weapons permit wrongly...you DO NOT need a concealed permit to keep a weapon in your own home! if your truely worried about home invasion buy some guns and keep em hidden around your home (no need to have a permit)

It depends on the state. NY state in order to OWN a pistol you must have a concealed weapon permit. In Fl you can own one without a CWP (3 day waiting period ) .If you want to carry concealed you need a permit. In NY I believe tasers are illegal. shawn

Riff Raff
03/12/2009, 06:43 PM
I believe it is more the ammo than the gun. It says something in the owners manual about using the correct ammo. Cheap out on the ammo and what do you expect. And I believe It says not to use reloads also . Another reason for guns jamming is not keeping them clean. And I did a search for the AMT Back-Up in .380 caliber And the forums talk about how much the jam. shawn

PSYCHOS2--- You are absolutely correct on two(2) points: Using only store bought "over-the-counter" factory ammo is key (no "reloads" of any kind), and the other point is to always keep your firearm clean.

You mentioned you saw in a blog/forum about the AMT .380 Back-Up jamming. Yes, the "feed-ramp" leading into the chamber as a new round is fed from the magazine is very finicky, and will catch the edge of a poorly crimped casing on a bullet. In addition, the AMT .380 Back-Up doesn't like long pointy bullets like the Winchester Silver-Tip, as they can get kinked on the feed-ramp due to the long pointy nose of the bullet.

There are three(3) cures to prevent the AMT .380 Back-Up from ever jamming, they are:

1. Have the feed-ramp professionally "polished" by a certified gunsmith.

2. Use only factory bullets that have a more "rounded blunt style" nose, as they feed a lot easier and don't have edges to catch on anything. Examples are: Black Talon, Hydra-Shock, Blue Glaser Safety.

3. Keep the AMT .380 Back-Up cleaned and well-oiled at all times, and test rack the slide many times while feeding bullets to insure proper function of the feed-ramp, magazine spring and slide action recoil. WD-40 is amazing stuff!!!

I have had my AMT .380 Back-Up feed-ramp "polished" by a professional gunsmith; I use only factory Black Talon ammo with one always in the chamber; and I clean/oil it with WD-40 and perform "test-rack" function daily while I drink my morning coffee. I clean it daily to catch any possible "little fuzzy's or pocket lint", since it is carried in my rear pants pocket.

Further, I take it to a gun range at least monthly to test fire it. While at the gun range; I also pretend & practice being robbed, so when I draw my weapon from my back pocket, I simultaneously flick the safe lever to "fire" as I'm pulling it out of my back pocket and immediately fire multiple live rounds down range. I have live-fired this scenario & practiced it so many times, that it is now common habit with me. I am fully confident if I am ever held-up by an armed robber, that there will be a very dead perp with several well placed rounds of wicked Black Talon in his chest. I sincerely hope that day never comes; however, I am well rehearsed for it should it happen. My AMT .380 Back-Up has never, ever, jammed in function-test or live-fire; but then again, I take very good care of my guns because my life literally depends upon it.

The other handgun's I own are:

Two(2) LAR Grizzly in .50AE caliber (1 is all-blue & 1 is two-tone chrome/blue).

Two(2) LAR Grizzly in .45 Win-Mag caliber; 1 is all-blue & 1 is a rare one-of-one State of Colorado Governor's Presentation handgun w/14K gold engraving & white pearl grips, mint, never fired, in original Cherry-wood case with beveled glass lid valued at over $3,500 per Gun Digest Bible.

One(1) C.O.P. 4-bbl derranger in .357 Magnum caliber.

One(1) S&W, Model 59 in 9mm caliber.

One(1) AMT Back-Up in .380 caliber (daily carry).

Next Gun: Para-Ordnance "Wart Hog" Sub-compact in .45 ACP and/or Para-Ordnance P-14 LDA "Limited" in .45 ACP.

WISDOM--- Regarding "home protection": The key to safeguarding yourself and your family in your own home is to have a very good Home Alarm System which will give you an "early warning" of intrusion (dogs work well also, providing the intruder doesn't throw him a steak to chew-on). It is the "early warning" sound of the alarm which will allow you to wake-up from your deep sleep and give you enough time to grab some sort of protection (Firearm, Kimber-Guardian Angel, Baseball Bat, dial 911, etc).

In reading the scenario you described; I think a good Home Alarm System would have prevented (or at least slowed) the perp from entering undetected with a knife to begin stabbing while someone is fast asleep. A gun would not have helped in this situation; too little, too late (you're hand-to-hand at this point). You've got to have some sort of advance early warning in order to respond properly. Hell; empty soup cans tied to a string works well, as long as your "ear" is trained to listen for that particular sound. Bottom Line--- Sure get a handgun if you like (Check out the "Para-Ordnance" brand, I like .45 ACP); but by all means, please also consider a quality Home Alarm System in order to give you some sort of an early advance warning to take action. If you have no warning, then you have no response. Riff Raff

kodiak
03/12/2009, 07:36 PM
I sold my PPK a few years ago and was planning on replacing it with a Kahr PM9.
From what I’ve read it's one of the best carry guns for the money.
Here’s a video I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHqkQ3CP1HM

VX KAT
03/12/2009, 07:41 PM
Read entire thread with great interest. Growing up in Pennsylvania, my grandfather taught my brother & I how to shot when we were young, he lived in a very small, rural town. But then some 2nd cousins had a mishap where the 6 y/o shot/killed 3 y/o brother playing cowboys & indians. Careless, reckless father left loaded gun on table. It made a BIG impact on me...I was terrified of guns, never touched one since.

BUT THEN........I lived in Los Angeles (Long Beach)...during the Rodney King riots. My hubby had just left on a mexican fishing trip and was unreachable by phone. We didn't have a gun. I was all alone. I listened to radio 24/7 and learned how to work hubby's police scanner. Heard random shootings getting closer & closer to my HOUSE. I was scared to death. Luckily nothing ever happened. But we had a Glock and a .22 w/in a week or so of hubby's return. (Can't recall if there was a waiting period or what).

I certainly wish we had low violence in this country but the reality is just plain different. I've always been very impressed by the UK stats on gun crime (lack thereof). What I saw on TV happening just blocks from my home (in a "decent" neighborhood I might add) changed my mind forever, and I NEVER thought that was possible. They had caught footage of young teen riding a bike and some random thug shooting him in the head, RANDOMLY!.....like 5 miles from my house. Then another teen sitting at a bus stop, bam, right to the head, again random, during the riots. I've never been the same.

Zoom forward 12 yrs to 2003........ to getting stuck in the Rio Grande river in our D90 (see my gallery pics). We were in one of the most remote places in the Country, on xmas day, stuck in the middle of the frikkin' Rio Grande, 10 feet from Mexican border. We'd been told by the Park Rangers that many drug deals and other illicit activity takes place along this portion of the R.G./ border, and to be very careful. So we were there in daylight, in 4" of water (we thought), then wham, we got stupid and got stuck. We ALWAYS carry a gun on any of our off road trips or driving vacations.....but the gun was in a compartment under the drivers seat...really difficult to get to in the best of circumstances. With us basically sinking further into the silt, trying to wrangle the seat to get to the gun caused the truck to sink uneven, and the water was JUST at the door level....any more movement and we would be flooded, and way above the D90's threshold w/o a snorkel.

Long story short, nothing happened, but our gun will never be "inaccessible" again. :noo: We've learned from our stupidity and believe we all have the right to bear arms.....doesn't mean I'm going to touch it, but I can if I want to. It might be a false sense of security, but it's better then being w/o.

Ldub
03/12/2009, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=kodiak;151220]Come on, Sal! The Tigers are playing...tonight! I never miss a game.”[QUOTE]

Gotta love it when someone whips out an obscure quote from "Robocop"...:thumbup:

WELL DONE!

pbkid
03/12/2009, 09:52 PM
WISDOM--- Regarding "home protection": The key to safeguarding yourself and your family in your own home is to have a very good Home Alarm System which will give you an "early warning" of intrusion (dogs work well also, providing the intruder doesn't throw him a steak to chew-on). It is the "early warning" sound of the alarm which will allow you to wake-up from your deep sleep and give you enough time to grab some sort of protection (Firearm, Kimber-Guardian Angel, Baseball Bat, dial 911, etc).

In reading the scenario you described; I think a good Home Alarm System would have prevented (or at least slowed) the perp from entering undetected with a knife to begin stabbing while someone is fast asleep. A gun would not have helped in this situation; too little, too late (you're hand-to-hand at this point). You've got to have some sort of advance early warning in order to respond properly. Hell; empty soup cans tied to a string works well, as long as your "ear" is trained to listen for that particular sound. Bottom Line--- Sure get a handgun if you like (Check out the "Para-Ordnance" brand, I like .45 ACP); but by all means, please also consider a quality Home Alarm System in order to give you some sort of an early advance warning to take action. If you have no warning, then you have no response. Riff Raff

x2...similar to what i said but a much better suggestion...

its actually very very easy to hook sirens to all doors and windows in your home, one of my co-workers (another car audio/video installer) did this on his own home for around $100...

VehiGAZ
03/13/2009, 06:30 AM
an obscure quote from "Robocop"...

THAT'S it!!! I knew the quote but couldn't place it. I was going to try to track that one down on imdb.com...

ISCE
03/13/2009, 08:53 AM
Good discussion and I've been looking. Like some others I grew up mostly target shooting while in Scouts. Just a week ago went to the range with a group from church. We had around 30 guys who all brought their guns so we had a great variety to shoot ranging from .22 rifles and pistols, 9mm, 10mm, .40 glock 22 police revolver (Baltimore officer was there with us), a shotgun and a 44 magnum dirty harry :-)

I have to say, after shooting the 44 mag the others just seemed a bit weak. Probaby the glock 22 was my favorite overall while still remaining somewhat practical (ie the only reason the 44 mag was out). I was holding I felt a pretty good 6" diameter grouping at around 25 yards, note again not having shot many handguns and first time shooting this gun. The 44 mag was the only handgun I had better accuracy with, but it had the 8-3/8 barrel. Besides the size I'm thinking the ammo expense puts it off my list.

I gotta get my gun before the liberals take away my rights to do so :-)

WormGod
03/13/2009, 09:22 AM
I had a 220 years ago. (similar to below)

http://www.lebaneseforces.com/images/weapons/sig-p220.jpg

When I moved my condo assoc. had an HOA clause that would not permit renters to have guns of any kind on the property. I sold it and have been weaponless since (2004). I would like to get another as using friend's handguns and renting at the range has become tiresome.

MD legal dictates you can NOT carry a weapon, but there are a few ways to get a permit to. It's actually isn't too difficult but it is a lengthy process.

When it comes to weapons and regulations, I follow the rules/laws to a "T" so's not to mess it up for everyone else. I wish more would do the same. Though, when you look at the broad picture, those that mes sit up for us tend to be committing crimes with weapons that aren't even registered to them.

nfpgasmask
03/13/2009, 09:29 AM
One(1) C.O.P. 4-bbl derranger in .357 Magnum caliber.

Cool, I have one of these nifty little Blade Runner guns as well. Do you have any problems with your C.O.P.? I bought mine used and it sometimes fails to fire...actually more than sometimes. I pull, pull, pull, BAM! pull, pull, BAM!, BAM!, pull, pull, BAM!. Not exactly reliable, but then again, trying to aim with such a short barreled .357 is next to impossible anyhow. I bought the gun as a novelty item (being as it has a nice role in my favorite film) but I was a little disappointed with the performance. I think my particular COP must have had A LOT of ammo put through it, never cleaned and then left sitting for years. It performs a little better now that I have cleaned and properly lubed it, but still.

Let me know your experience. Maybe I should try to find a different one or have mine looked at by a professional gun smith.

Bart
http://www.blade-runner.it/images/leon-firing.jpg

nfpgasmask
03/13/2009, 09:37 AM
THAT'S it!!! I knew the quote but couldn't place it. I was going to try to track that one down on imdb.com...

x2, another favorite movie. That film was SOOO ahead of it's time, and easily my favorite Verhoeven film. Talk about a great gun film, too! Gotta love the 50 cal action!

TEN36VX
03/13/2009, 10:18 AM
I carry a Glock 19 off duty.
I'm with Kodiak... I intend to get a Kahr PM this year for a backup/off-duty gun.

FYI, most feed problems with the Glocks are due to the magazine spring, not the gun or the ammo. Especially if they bear a weapon mounted light. I have shot over 200 rounds through my 19 and had no failures, except when firing lead (which the manufacture expressly says not to do). High end, low end, reloads, didn't matter. I've shot innumerable rounds through duty Glocks over the last ten years and never had any problems.

Scott Harness
03/13/2009, 05:02 PM
Beretta M9 (military version of F92) Only 2000 made avalable to public
Beretta 92 Sub Compact-very carryable,made in 82, real Italian Beretta
Winchester Defender 12 gauge assault/ tactical shotgun
TEXAS! Here the laws favor the good guys.
Castle law, now extends to auto also. You don't have to wait to be attacked either.If you fear for your safety SHOOT.
One guy, I thought got away with murder.He shot and killed a homeless dude going thru his trash. He was on the second floor of his house and just shot the guy. The judge let him off!:eek:

TheGanzman
03/13/2009, 05:39 PM
Colt Commander/Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP, from 1979 back please! Oh look - I already HAVE four of 'em; never mind!:bgwg:
http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/55105557.JPG

Hotsauce
03/13/2009, 06:00 PM
I've held class 1 and 10 FFL for many years. My opinions on RIGHT to carry should come as no suprise.

I recently let them expire over the issue of implied consent to search my home at any time.

If you decide to carry never forget that you carry the means of your own destruction with you. Do not carry if you are not prepared to deal with every consequence of taking someone life. Be that bad dreams, lawsuits, or vengeful relatives of the deceased.

Certainly a revolver is the most reliable firearm you can carry. An automatic will show less through clothes though. Whichever you carry should be hammerless, and if you can afford to, get it melted.

Remember if you exercise the right to carry that you are a 2nd class citizen. You give up other rights.

You can not risk getting into a scuffle with someone, because it will lead to one of you getting shot. You have to shrug off things where you might have otherwise pushed someone back, or similar.

Keep it a secret if you carry. If your friends know, they will commonly act up when you go out expecting that you will back them up.

If you get pulled over while carrying keep your hands well in sight. As the officer approaches the car tell him that you are authorised to CCW, and are doing so. You don't want him to suddenly catch a glimpse of you wearing it unannounced.

John C.

Spike
03/13/2009, 09:43 PM
I have been look at handguns lately. I have been looking at a few Sig Sauers; p220 .45, p226 .40, p239 .40 SAS. what do you guys think and what do you shot?

I love my Walther PPK .380 .. has enough snap to it to make it a fun shoot. Quite accurate. Yea it's not a 9mm or .40 or .45 ... but in a pinch im sure the CorBon or HydraShock will do their job

Just renewed my carry permit for PA ... but I rarely ever carry.. I have a pocket holster that fits inside my front jeans pocket nicely...

kodiak
03/13/2009, 11:13 PM
Colt Commander/Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP, from 1979 back please! Oh look - I already HAVE four of 'em; never mind!:bgwg:
http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10077/55105557.JPG

It’s hard to improve upon perfection.;)

Riff Raff
03/14/2009, 05:39 PM
Cool, I have one of these nifty little Blade Runner guns as well. Do you have any problems with your C.O.P.? I bought mine used and it sometimes fails to fire...actually more than sometimes. I pull, pull, pull, BAM! pull, pull, BAM!, BAM!, pull, pull, BAM!

Let me know your experience. Maybe I should try to find a different one or have mine looked at by a professional gun smith.

Bart
http://www.blade-runner.it/images/leon-firing.jpg

BART--- The long, pull, pull, pull, BAM, you experience is completely normal on the C.O.P./.357 Magnum Derringer, and is exactly how it was designed to function. Just give it a good cleaning with WD-40 and you'll be fine. C.O.P. means "Compact Off-duty Police".

Since the C.O.P./.357 Magnum Derringer doesn't have a traditional lever-type safety; the manufacturer (now defunct) intentionally incorporated a very stout 14 lb trigger pull requirement, combined with an excessively long trigger pull that goes all the way back to the end of the trigger opening. They did this in an effort to ensure any firing of the weapon would have to be deliberate intent. It is also extremely difficult for a young child to pull the very strong trigger, thereby thwarting a possible accidental discharge.

When firing .357 Magnum rounds, the C.O.P. is extemely violent with excessive recoil (very harsh on the wrist) and will easily leave checkered-grip reverse impressions in the palm of your shooting hand. It is much more comfortable to shoot with the more docile .38 Special alternate ammunition due to the reduced recoil.

The C.O.P. derringer is best used as an "Anti-Snake" weapon using CCI "Shot-Shells" in the .357 Magnum/.38 Special caliber. The short barrel of the C.O.P. makes for a wide shotgun-like pattern of the CCI shot-pellets which is a perfect defense against venomous snakes. My C.O.P. is only loaded with CCI "Shot-Shells" and specifically only used as an "Anti-Snake" weapon. Have I ever encountered a snake??? No; but then again, I don't like taking chances and tempting fate. The only good snake, it a dead snake!!!

Whenever I go off-road 4-wheeling, I always have a LAR Grizzly Mk V in .50AE caliber in a quick-draw shoulder holster, which will easily bring down any sized bear, cougar, or thug should one ever be encountered. In addition, I'll also have the C.O.P. loaded with CCI's at the quick-draw ready should any snakes be accidently stumbled upon. Riff Raff

Ascinder
03/14/2009, 07:29 PM
Hahaha, you don't know Bart all that well then, he'd probably let a snake shoot him before he shot it:bgwg:.

nfpgasmask
03/14/2009, 10:09 PM
Hey Raff, I'm not talking about the trigger pull, I'm talking about pulling the trigger and not firing. I think the ratchet in mine is messed up. :(

Bart

Riff Raff
03/15/2009, 04:21 AM
Hey Raff, I'm not talking about the trigger pull, I'm talking about pulling the trigger and not firing. I think the ratchet in mine is messed up. :(

Bart

BART--- Ok, in that case; then yes, definately have it checked out by a certified gunsmith!!! Riff Raff

pbkid
03/15/2009, 06:26 AM
I've held class 1 and 10 FFL for many years. My opinions on RIGHT to carry should come as no suprise.

I recently let them expire over the issue of implied consent to search my home at any time.

If you decide to carry never forget that you carry the means of your own destruction with you. Do not carry if you are not prepared to deal with every consequence of taking someone life. Be that bad dreams, lawsuits, or vengeful relatives of the deceased.

Certainly a revolver is the most reliable firearm you can carry. An automatic will show less through clothes though. Whichever you carry should be hammerless, and if you can afford to, get it melted.

Remember if you exercise the right to carry that you are a 2nd class citizen. You give up other rights.

You can not risk getting into a scuffle with someone, because it will lead to one of you getting shot. You have to shrug off things where you might have otherwise pushed someone back, or similar.

Keep it a secret if you carry. If your friends know, they will commonly act up when you go out expecting that you will back them up.

If you get pulled over while carrying keep your hands well in sight. As the officer approaches the car tell him that you are authorised to CCW, and are doing so. You don't want him to suddenly catch a glimpse of you wearing it unannounced.

John C.

yes! very true all around