PDA

View Full Version : Os' VX: The Arrivaling

Osteomata
03/10/2009, 05:17 PM
After purchasing the Proton on ebay, and tracking my her from NY to FL on the DAS auto shipper website, I finally took possession today. Cut out of work early, caught the Tri-Rail (another first for me!) from MIA to Fort Lauderdale Air Port, taxi the last few miles, and arrived at DAS' drop off point:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX_Arrival_1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13100)

And spotting her in the lot:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX_Arrival_2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13101)

What a painless process: show ID, inspect, sign and drive. We are headed home:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX_Arrival_3.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13102)

What a fantastic start! My first four wheel drive ever, my first truck/SUV ever, hell I haven't had more than 140hp since 1990. I am so not used to sitting up so high in traffic, so not used to the ready power.

The seller of course left her nearly empty (no surprise) which gave me my first opportunity to fill her up, check the oil, and set the trip meter. I was suprised that there was no tag on the VX at all, not even a dealer temp tag. I drove it home bare, worrying all the way about getting pulled over. Tomorrow I will remedy that.

As the seller made clear, the right front bumper and lower right front signal are damaged, but those parts are in route. The backseat is also missing, but VX KAT and I are working to resolve that to our mutual benefit. She has agreed to give it to me in exchange for my heartfelt appreciation. And some cash.

I bought this site unseen, and I am happy, or rather relieved, with the result, but one can't expect perfection, and there are a few minor issues about which I was not aware:
- The PO jacked the emergency handle, I guess it wore badly or something, cause he appears to have taken a dull carving knife to the rubber/plastic coating of the handle, stripped it part way down, and stuck on a really ugly aftermarket fake CF (and not a good fake) handle. But only the top half of the handle, so it comes off easy, and the bottom is raw cut plastic/rubber.
- He also appears to have drilled a hole in one of the bevel switches, the right most switch of the row of three located to the right of the steering wheel. I am looking at the manual, and I can't tell what the switch was for. Anway, drilled a big hole in it, stuffed some rubbery material arond the raw edges, looks like some kind of wire was supposed to go in there.
- The rocker switch right next to it has a very tiny led light cover on it, is that stock? Looks modded.
- There is an insulated wire, curly like a telephone cord, sticking out of the front of the head liner just above the rear view mirror, it leads down to the mirror bracket, and .. I can't tell what it does then. Did not have time to investigate, have to go re check it.
- Whatever is supposed to be to the right of the cig lighter is missing. Just a rectangular hole with a bracket, looks like it was supposed to be a coin holder or something?
- Tires are nearing the end of their safe service life.
- Passenger side winshield squirter does not squirt. I will have to check the squirting equipment for maximum squirtyness.

Tomorrow: Florida registration and tag
Thursday: Oil and PCV change

- Os

pbkid
03/10/2009, 05:26 PM
After purchasing the Proton on ebay, and tracking my her from NY to FL on the DAS auto shipper website, I finally took possession today. Cut out of work early, caught the Tri-Rail (another first for me!) from MIA to Fort Lauderdale Air Port, taxi the last few miles, and arrived at DAS' drop off point:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX_Arrival_1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13100)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX_Arrival_2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13101)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX_Arrival_3.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13102)

What a fantastic start! My first four wheel drive ever, my first truck/SUV ever, hell I haven't had more than 140hp since 1990. I am so not used to sitting up so high in traffic, so not used to the ready power.

The seller of course left her nearly empty (no surprise) which gave me my first opportunity to fill her up, check the oil, and set the trip meter. I was suprised that there was no tag on the VX at all, not even a dealer temp tag. I drove it home bare, worrying all the way about getting pulled over. Tomorrow I will remedy that.

As the seller made clear, the right front bumper and lower right front signal are damaged, but those parts are in route. The backseat is also missing, but VX KAT and I are working to resolve that to our mutual benefit. She has agreed to give it to me in exchange for my heartfelt appreciation. And some cash.

I bought this site unseen, and I am happy, or rather relieved, with the result, but one can't expect perfection, and there are a few minor issues about which I was not aware:
- The PO jacked the emergency handle, I guess it wore badly or something, cause he appears to have taken a dull carving knife to the rubber/plastic coating of the handle, stripped it part way down, and stuck on a really ugly aftermarket fake CF (and not a good fake) handle. But only the top half of the handle, so it comes off easy, and the bottom is raw cut plastic/rubber.
- He also appears to have drilled a hole in one of the bevel switches, the right most switch of the row of three located to the right of the steering wheel. I am looking at the manual, and I can't tell what the switch was for. Anway, drilled a big hole in it, stuffed some rubbery material arond the raw edges, looks like some kind of wire was supposed to go in there.
- The rocker switch right next to it has a very tiny led light cover on it, is that stock? Looks modded.
- There is an insulated wire, curly like a telephone cord, sticking out of the front of the head liner just above the rear view mirror, it leads down to the mirror bracket, and .. I can't tell what it does then. Did not have time to investigate, have to go re check it.
- Whatever is supposed to be to the right of the cig lighter is missing. Just a rectangular hole with a bracket, looks like it was supposed to be a coin holder or something?
- Passenger side winshield squirter does not squirt. I will have to check the squirting equipment for maximum squirtyness.

- Os

congrats!!!!! glad that you finally got your new baby, now pamper her ;)

not sure about the rest of the stuff your refering to (pictures would help) but the telephone cord thingy, is plugged into the rear view mirror (or should be) to power the dome lights that are built into the mirror...

jwatk1ns
03/10/2009, 05:29 PM
congratulations! I remember the day I got mine, not long ago. I believe the telephone looking wire powers the lights at the bottom of the rear view mirror, their are two switches on the mirror.

kodiak
03/10/2009, 05:42 PM
Very cool! You are now an official VXer. :thumbup:

rowhard
03/10/2009, 05:56 PM
Man oh man, does that bring back memories. I bought me, sight unseen (3 photos) from a dealer in Virgina and had it shipped to Washington State. Tracked it like you and was thrilled to see it go by the house, yes, had it delivered to the doorstep. Inspected, damages negotiated, and it was mine. Let your addiction began as mine did 28k miles ago.:bgwo:

Gussie2000
03/10/2009, 06:03 PM
Officially welcome aboard my friend.

For now focus on the stuff i wrote you about the steam wash,change all oil & fluids as soon as possible,switch to mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30,alignment,balancing,flush radiator & refill coolant fluid.

Make sure that all factory electrical are properly working (head lights,parking lights,signal lights,AC dome light,etc.

Take the VX for a 30 minutes ride 15 highway & 15 city streets,look for any thing that don't seem to be usual & write it down for future references.

Shift thru all trans gears to see how it performs,also work on the TOD by switching thru all TOD modes.

Check the winter & power drive modes to see if they all Ok.

MSHardeman
03/10/2009, 06:07 PM

I think you are looking at the alarm "armed" light. If you have the original keyless remote when you lock the doors it should arm the stock Isuzu alarm and that light should blink. Like pbkid said, some pictures could really help.
Like the other said, this powers the map lights that are in the mirror. When you look at the mirror there should be a toggle switch at the lower left and lower right corners of the mirror.
Without pictures, I think that is where the stock ash tray should be. Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu may be able to help you out there, or maybe someone has an extra one that they could part with.
First just check to see if any of the squirter tubes are pinched under the hood. I had to fool with my hood insert once and when I reassembled everything I ended up pinching a line so there was little to no squirtyness happening.

- Os

Oh, and welcome to the family. Today is the first day of the rest of your VX lovin' life.

Gussie2000
03/10/2009, 06:19 PM
Oh, and welcome to the family. Today is the first day of the rest of your VX lovin' life.

The hole on the third switch you are refering about is the alarm's LED which seemed to be removed by the previous owner,the rectangular hole you also looking at is a missng cigarrette astray.

You can always have a nice parking brake,shifter & TOD handles installed that matches the VX's interior,also the gas & brake pedals to match the whole set.

If you want the cigar astray some one here might have one for sale or even free to you.
Also have a aftermarket alarm system installed if none is there

etlsport
03/10/2009, 10:21 PM
the three switches to the left of the steering wheel are not stock, they came from a rodeo.. the stock alarm LED is between the steering wheel and radio, the rodeo came with the LED on that 3 switch panel to the left of the steering wheel, so id guess its not even hooked up

VX KAT
03/10/2009, 10:22 PM
Congrats! You'll love this thing to death! We all do!

Your story and pics of picking it up at DAS's terminal were so funny to me....my VX was at a DAS terminal in Phoenix and it was pouring rain and it was a huge mud pie! I thought Phoenix was in the frikkin' desert!!?? Your weather looked much better! :grinp:

Mine was bone stock when I got it 2 months ago, so you'll have fun doing some mods.
~To the right of cigarette lighter was the slide out ashtray.

~The red LED light is for the factory alarm.

~Mine didn't come with any remotes, but I bought one on eBay and one on Amazon. DO NOT buy from a seller called "Original Keyless...unless you want to wait for 3 weeks + for delivery and receive absolutely zip customer service or email or voicemail responses. :madb: Secondly, DO NOT buy from an Amazon merchant named REMOTESUPERSTORE....sent me a knock off then never would refund my money even tho I sent it back :mado:. Had to file claim with Amazon to get money back. Go with the eBay seller of OEM remote.

~As the others mentioned, Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu in Missouri in the parts dept can get you great deals and FREE shipping on any parts still available. Great guy! 1-800-727-8066 ask for Merlin! And ask for internet discount (10-15% off)

~ I'm not sure if all VX's came WITH the OEM alarm...anybody know? To determine if yours has it, look way up under driver side dash/foot well area. It's a black box shape thing sitting "upright" and has a bright green circular button centered on it. Here's a pic from my gallery of mine.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSCN0446.jpg
If you get remote, it will come with programming instructions, easy as can be.

~The OEM remote does have a 2nd button on it for the hatch, there's detailed instructions on the forum somewhere of how to wire the hatchpopper so the remote will work. My stereo guys haven't done it yet to mine.

~One thing you'll soon learn...the stock VX does NOT have a hatch popper/release button. Have to open hatch with key, every time. Tone Monday (tonemonday.com) sells a hatchpopper kit for the VX. I'm friends with the guys at small locally owned car audio shop and they put all the parts together for me and installed it. I put the release button in the "fuzzy box" on the dash,... it's the small ( about 3" x 2") opening, with a slightly curved top, to left of steering wheel. It's lined with a sort of fuzzy type fabric so things like coins etc won't slip around. MANY folks have put other buttons there, so yours may already have something in it, may have bezel buttons on the face. Anyway, VXers on this forum suggested putting the button there for convenience, instead of putting it in glovebox...glad I did, real convenient to open door and reach button.

That's all I can think of now...but I'm a mere neophyte in the VX world, so all the other forum members will have all the answers you'll ever need! PLUS the search function will help you find ANY type of info you're looking for. If you can think it, somebody has probably already written a solution or recommendation about it!

Enjoy! :wave:

etlsport
03/10/2009, 10:27 PM
if you need a keyless entry remote let me know, PBkid sent me a replacement for mine when it cracked.. the cracked one works fine still though, so if you dont want to spend money on one id send you the cracked one for free

don moore
03/10/2009, 11:34 PM
grats on the VX..welcome:p

snowtrooper1966
03/11/2009, 12:08 AM
Congrats!
I know very well the feeling you experienced. I picked mine up from a cross country trip via DAS just 13 months ago.
You are part of a very special family now.
Enjoy the Proton!
Best,

Osteomata
03/11/2009, 05:54 AM
Everyone, thanks for the welcome, comments, and advice. A few follow ups..

Everyone who replied Thanks for this info:
- Mirror light power cord! Ah, got it that makes sense.
- Alarm led! Got it.
- Ash Tray! I'll either order replacement or incorporate the new hole into a mod. Cup holder maybe.

Gussie2000 Thanks for the maintenance and inspection points, I just added them to my list.

MSHardeman I'll check the squirter for pinched tubes first, thanks.

VX KAT,
- Not sure how this came up, but I do already have a remote, but you answered my unasked question about the "option" button. Outstanding, thanks for that info. Door popper will def be one of my early mods.
- I'll check for my alarm. When I use the remote to lock/unlock doors, I get a very high pitched chirp, and I assumed it armed an alarmed, but I will verify that box.
- I still have my fuzzy hole! Future mod...

- Os

VehiGAZ
03/11/2009, 07:38 AM
- Not sure how this came up, but I do already have a remote, but you answered my unasked question about the "option" button. Outstanding, thanks for that info. Door popper will def be one of my early mods.

That's not right - the option button does not work with the alarm system. It was originally supposed to work with an optional receiver you connect to your garage door opener wires in order to open your garage door (but it is no longer available, I believe). It needs the DC voltage from the garage door opener wires in order to power itself and receive the signal from the remote. It is theoretically possible to find one of these and install it in the hatch-popper wiring on your VX and figure out a way to supply the correct voltage, but I don't think it's been done.

A bit of advice - check your oil level every tank of gas for the first few months and get to know your oil consumption rate. Some VX engines burn a quart per thousand miles, or even more. Other none at all.

Good luck!

WormGod
03/11/2009, 07:43 AM
Man, that thing is ugly! Send it back for a refund!

:cool:

Enjoy.

nocturnalVX
03/11/2009, 08:27 AM
- Mirror light power cord! Ah, got it that makes sense.

Don't feel bad. The salesman at the dealership I bought my VX (new) from didn't know what it was either. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the addiction!

snowtrooper1966
03/11/2009, 08:30 AM
I still have my fuzzy hole!

This should be good ;-)
Best,

TheGanzman
03/11/2009, 09:13 AM
That's not right - the option button does not work with the alarm system. It was originally supposed to work with an optional receiver you connect to your garage door opener wires in order to open your garage door (but it is no longer available, I believe). It needs the DC voltage from the garage door opener wires in order to power itself and receive the signal from the remote.

Alittle off topic, but I believe this option IS still available; in fact, the "system" still shows 9 (now 8!) available at ~$105.00. I just ordered one from our friend Merlin; not so much for my garage door, but for the gate to our gated community - the "opener" that they give ya' for THAT dates to 1985 - it's the size of a large paperback! I'll let everyone know how that install goes...

On edit - I just read previous threads about this; apparently the "unit" they ship you installs in your garage, not in your VX - guess I'll be replacing my garage door opener and NOT my gate opener after all...

VX KAT
03/11/2009, 09:40 AM
Vehigaz- thanks, you may have just saved me some time & money trying to get my audio guy to wire the hatchpopper to the remote.

Here's the link to thread where "Raque Thomas" got it to work:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2069&highlight=hatch+popper+remote

Does anybody know if this does really work??

VehiGAZ
03/11/2009, 10:43 AM
Ahhh!!! OK, I see where you are going VX KAT. Yes that mod will work - but it does not use the option button on the fob. Etlsport should be able to tell you how to do it - he;s still around and he did this mod a couple of years back.

The alarm module has two outputs - one for one press of the button, and anotheroutput for the second press of the button. Normally the driver's door unlocks on the first press, and the passenger's door unlocks on the second press. That mod (if I understood it right) will unlock both doors on the first press of the unlcok button, and will actuate the rear hatch popper on the second press. I was thrown off by the discusssions of what happens with the door locks and such when the car is running, but I am pretty sure that's how it works.

Didn't mean to contradict you - turns out we were both right! :-)

JoFotoz
03/11/2009, 11:26 AM
Washer problem...

Lift hood , pull apart plastic hose connectors either side of washer feed split
where it routes tube to washer nozzles

These are in fact One way valves , ball bearing style , and get clogged up.

Clean em out...make sure you put them back in the same way!....this solved my issues.

Hope it helps

jo

etlsport
03/11/2009, 11:32 AM
Ahhh!!! OK, I see where you are going VX KAT. Yes that mod will work - but it does not use the option button on the fob. Etlsport should be able to tell you how to do it - he;s still around and he did this mod a couple of years back.

The alarm module has two outputs - one for one press of the button, and anotheroutput for the second press of the button. Normally the driver's door unlocks on the first press, and the passenger's door unlocks on the second press. That mod (if I understood it right) will unlock both doors on the first press of the unlcok button, and will actuate the rear hatch popper on the second press. I was thrown off by the discusssions of what happens with the door locks and such when the car is running, but I am pretty sure that's how it works.

Didn't mean to contradict you - turns out we were both right! :-)

yep thats right, first push of the unlock button will unlock the doors, second one will pop the rear hatch

if the key is not in the ignition the unlock button on the door handle will pop the rear hatch too

if the key is in the ignition, you have to use another trunk release button you install somewhere else to open the hatch

Gussie2000
03/11/2009, 11:51 AM
Is deffinetly good to be part of a supportive family isn, t it ?
Nice looking proton though OS
After the new cladding is installed & the whole VX well detailed you'll get even more in love with.
Oh ! Be prepared for all those VX moments from now on OS people turning their heads & jaws breaking looking faces

Osteomata
03/11/2009, 09:28 PM
VehiGAZ: I did not mistake the option button for part of the alarm, but I did take from VXKAT's post that the option buttion could be made to work with the rear door popper. Is this not feasable? Cause that is really what I want it do do.

WormGod: "Man, that thing is ugly!" Bet that's not what you told the chick who offered you $8K for yours!

Snowtrooper: What, you don't find it perfectly natural to talk about one's fuzzy hole? Mine is velvety. It made it through the wilderness. Somehow it made it through. Didnt know how lost it was, Until Isuzu. It was beat, no rear seats. It'd been had, it was sad and blue, but Isuzu made it feel, yeah, made it feel...Shiny and new. Chorus: Like a virgin. Yeah, I said it.

JoFotoz: Thanks for the detailed squirter check guidance, I'll get on that one with my oil change this weekend.

Gussie2000: You ain't kiddin, I can't wait.

- Os

etlsport
03/11/2009, 09:59 PM
VehiGAZ: I did not mistake the option button for part of the alarm, but I did take from VXKAT's post that the option buttion could be made to work with the rear door popper. Is this not feasable? Cause that is really what I want it do do.

technically you could make the rear door popper work on the option button... but only if you bought the module, either modified it to work on 12 volts or put a 120 volt outlet in your vx, then rewired it to activate a relay/solenoid when the option button is pressed

or you could just do what raque thomas did (and i did).. rewire the existing wiring so that the first time you press the unlock button, both of your doors unlock.. then the second time you press the unlock button, the rear door pops

the only downside to this mod is if you press the unlock button by accident, you either have to leave it and trust the 30 second re-lock feature to work or pop the rear hatch, close it, and lock the doors

johnnyapollo
03/12/2009, 03:02 AM
I wired the rear door popper to the third button on my remote. There's a tranny circuit you use to keep the rear door from activating when in anything but park.

-- John

VehiGAZ
03/12/2009, 06:46 AM
I wired the rear door popper to the third button on my remote. There's a tranny circuit you use to keep the rear door from activating when in anything but park.

-- John

This is interesting...

John, do explain, please - especially the part about the third button (since the OEM alarm fob only has two buttons on it. :confused:). Do you have an aftermarket alarm?

And what transmission circuit did you use for this? That's brilliant!! You don't know how many times I have accidentally popped the rear hatch reaching for the stereo controls while in motion!!

Gussie2000
03/12/2009, 09:07 AM
This is interesting...

John, do explain, please - especially the part about the third button (since the OEM alarm fob only has two buttons on it. :confused:). Do you have an aftermarket alarm?

And what transmission circuit did you use for this? That's brilliant!! You don't know how many times I have accidentally popped the rear hatch reaching for the stereo controls while in motion!!

I guess he must have an aftermarket alarm
About the transmission circuit he's probably talking about running a neutral wire to the park position that only engages when the shifter is in park & the 12 current voltage running thru that circuit allows the alarm's module to receive the remote's signal

VX KAT
03/12/2009, 09:28 AM
Dang...I thought getting the hatch popper button would be next on my list....sounds like it's going to cost too much for me to have my audio guy do it.

VehiGaz, no problem contradicting me, quite the opposite, thanks to you (and all the others) :thanx: for helping me better "understand"......no, scratch that......for helping me see that I won't be getting a hatch popper button working on my remote any time soon!

BTW, on my OEM remote, the 2nd button says "hatch", does yours say "option"? Mine is an Isuzu OEM remote, but I bought it used, so it may not have gone to a VX I guess.

rowhard
03/12/2009, 09:36 AM
- Ash Tray! I'll either order replacement or incorporate the new hole into a mod. Cup holder maybe.=Os

Not a bad place for a double power point setup.

Osteomata
03/12/2009, 10:09 AM
A double power point set up? Man, I don't plan on giving any presentations in the truck, much less having to give two at once.

Not a bad place for a double power point setup.

etlsport
03/12/2009, 11:18 AM
....for helping me see that I won't be getting a hatch popper button working on my remote any time soon!

why wont you get it working? for me to get mine working off the remote cost $10 on top of the popper kit.. all it took was some time to do a lil wiring

VehiGAZ
03/12/2009, 11:50 AM
VehiGaz, no problem contradicting me, quite the opposite, thanks to you (and all the others) :thanx: for helping me better "understand"......no, scratch that......for helping me see that I won't be getting a hatch popper button working on my remote any time soon!

No, that's not where I was going at all! The mod you cited works - it just doesn't use the "Option" button like Os suggested (btw, it says "option" not "hatch" on my VX alarm fob). Instead, it uses two presses of the lock/unlock button on the alarm fob. Your alarm guys should be able to git 'er done no problem!

VehiGAZ
03/12/2009, 11:52 AM
A double power point set up? Man, I don't plan on giving any presentations in the truck, much less having to give two at once.

If you're lucky you will! :embarasse

VX KAT
03/12/2009, 12:18 PM
OK, maybe I will check into gettin-r-done with my audio/alarm guys. I had printed out Raque's post to guide them, but I haven't followed up yet to see how much it would be. I'll take these additional posts too so make it as easy as possible. You guys all still amaze me with what you know and can do......I remain......."I'm with stupid"............but I know a ton of other stuff.....just nothin' that is pertinent to my VX.

WormGod
03/13/2009, 08:51 AM
WormGod: "Man, that thing is ugly!" Bet that's not what you told the chick who offered you $8K for yours!

Nah, that's what she told my mom told my mom when speaking about me. :eek: