PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions?

VXNIT
03/09/2009, 06:34 AM
Ok, Isuzu in Sanford Fl is only dealership near me to deal with front of motor coolant leak. Dealer tells me if they break it down and water pump is not the issue I will have to pay for all labor. Question is what else could this be at front of motor under timing cover? Is there any other possibilities? I can see Isuzu screwing me in this if I am not knowledgable of this issue and possibilities. Anyone who has had this done please advise. Thanks

WiSDoM
03/09/2009, 06:53 AM
so they didn't find the leak?
maybe a leak from the radiator hose or gaskket around the thermostrat?
they are under the air intake manifold.

why couldn't they find the leak?

VXNIT
03/09/2009, 09:23 AM
They haven't looked at it yet, but in order to look at it it must be disassembled and if it is not the water pump then they will charge me out the arse. I have looked at it from every angle and it is not leaking anywhere near top, appears to be behind timing cover area. the leak is untracable without taking it apart.

Triathlete
03/09/2009, 10:09 AM
Sounds like they will need to tear down the front end regardless to find the leak if it is coming from behind the cover. While they are in there you will want them to throw a new timing belt on if it hasn't been done rescently.

Riff Raff
03/09/2009, 10:15 AM
Hmmm, before you have it taken apart. Try putting a can of "STOP LEAK" in the radiator system (available at most auto parts stores). When this stuff leaks out of any cracks/leaks in the coolant system and finds "outside air", then it drys and hardens; thus sealing the leak. Works on same theory as "Fix-a Flat" for tires. Just a thought.

VXNIT
03/09/2009, 12:49 PM
I thought about that but I have seen that stuff just make things worse with deposits in all areas it goes.

VXNIT
03/09/2009, 01:32 PM
Mine only really leaks when sitting for 12 or more hours. I dont get any antifreeze smell or isues related to problems others have reported like Tone and Ron. Very slow weaping leak down front area of motor. I can find no trace of its origination, appers to be behand timing cover fjor sure adn with a mirrow I can visually see it coming out of bottom of timing cover.

Riff Raff
03/09/2009, 02:18 PM
Hmmm, then I'd go ahead and try the "STOP LEAK" stuff; rather than have a shop tear your truck apart and still might not find it the problem (and make you pay for the "labor" anyway). The STOP LEAK stuff might not be the "correct" fix, but it may be an "alternative" fix.

I guess you've got three(3) options:

A. Do nothing and live with it (just monitor coolent level).

B. Try the "STOP LEAK" stuff, and see what happens.

C. Have an automotive shop do "exploritory surgery" on it, and have your checkbook/credit-card ready regardless of outcome.

circmand
03/09/2009, 02:38 PM
for 1000000 and fix it and treat the club to drinks and dinner

technocoy
03/09/2009, 02:44 PM
wow, way to completely derail a thread with a pointless and flame-baiting post.

I've been having a similar mystery leak. Problem is I can't afford to have to torn apart at the moment either.

Good luck.

VXNIT
03/09/2009, 04:35 PM
I agree, actualy pretty serious issue considering economic issues involved, but hey when you need good advice from those who have delt with the issue hope someone pisses on your thread.

Gussie2000
03/09/2009, 07:35 PM
I agree, actualy pretty serious issue considering economic issues involved, but hey when you need good advice from those who have delt with the issue hope someone pisses on your thread.

HI VXNIT !

It isn't nice at all to have a coolant leaking,that can cause your engine to blow away due overheating so consider this:

How much is the dealer charging for the diagnostic VS how much can the the cost of a rebuild/new engine.

My 1rst suggestion to you is go & have the VX checked @ others AES certified shops & don't relay 100% on the isuzu stealership.

There must be few shops that will diagnost the problem for much less the dealer will charge you.

But since the leak is seems to be from the belt cover then is 85% possible that the water pump went bad. (broken gasket or seal)

Now,what i'll also suggest you to do is to have new timing belt,new water pump,new thermosthat,new hoses installed & get that over once & for all.

The timing belt is guarranteed to run for 100.000 miles according to isuzu so depending how much mileage is currently on your VX you may skip that for the moment.

Another thing you can do is to check all hoses related to the coolong system.
You should do that check up from under the engine,not over it,but have you time to do so,because it need detail eye to find possible cracked hoses.

Here @ Vx.info we relay for expertise & parts on merlin from St charles isuzu.
(1636 4414481)

Whenever you call him let he knows you're VX.INFO member,good discounts + free shipping

About the O' bailout mentioned above don't take it deep serious.

Hope you can have that issue solve pretty soon

WiSDoM
03/10/2009, 07:46 AM
I had a leak coming from that same general area on my rodeo once and the shop charged me about 250.00 to replace the timing belt and water pump. I bought all the parts, I think I paid around 150 for parts not sure for the vehicross shouldn't be much more thou. I know is its four bills but will be cheaper in the long run.