PDA

View Full Version : just some random work pics, both botched jobs and really nice jobs

pbkid
03/08/2009, 07:32 PM
ok, maybe someone will find this interesting, i dunno...

just wanted to share some of the botched jobs that people have DIY'ed themselves in the past, then brought it into us to 'fix'
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3210/thumbs/0301091338-00.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13082)
ya, thats a live wire from the battery with NO FUSE on it....talk about unsafe huh? ya i refused to touch his car once i found this...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3210/thumbs/0301091338-01.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13083)
those are 'safely' secured wires underneath of a customers dash, ya those were hot, and connected to the car's ignition...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3210/thumbs/0220091734-00.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13084)
customer showed up with no center console, just thought it was funny that they just paid me almost $1000 for a sound system, but they cant afford to put a center console in their car...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3210/0220091735-00.jpg
ya, that customer thought you had to peel back the carpet to remove the speaker, then couldnt get it to stick back on ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3210/0220091735-02.jpg
ya, i liked that one too, wood screws to hold parts together in a plastic car!
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3210/0220092033-00.jpg
this guy had NO door handle on the drivers door...had a pair of pliers to grab the little metal bar that turns the latch..

ok, keep in mind all of these customers are paying for me to install things on their cars, anywhere from $50 and up...

just thought i would share some stuff that makes me wonder about people..

JoFotoz
03/08/2009, 08:45 PM
Drywall screws RULE!

:p :eek: :p :eek:

jo

VehiGAZ
03/09/2009, 08:04 AM
That's just sad... how many of these losers are there with their baby-mama and kid - who is getting formula through food stamps?

etlsport
03/09/2009, 08:12 AM
haha funny stuff.. the worst install ive ever seen is a guy who drilled down through his floor to mount a sub box.. and drilled into his gas tank:rollb: lucky he didnt spark anything!

ive driven around without interior door panels before during installs though, had to use pliers to open the door for those trips hehe

WormGod
03/09/2009, 09:14 AM
haha funny stuff.. the worst install ive ever seen is a guy who drilled down through his floor to mount a sub box.. and drilled into his gas tank:rollb: lucky he didnt spark anything!

ive driven around without interior door panels before during installs though, had to use pliers to open the door for those trips hehe

You would have loved my VX when it went through the Dynamat install. From dash to rear hatch, there wasn't a single interior panel mounted.... and I drove it for about a week that way, heh.

pbkid
03/09/2009, 01:03 PM
ya but these people arent in the middle of installs...thats the way they drive their ride all the time...thats the weird part...

ya, we get tons of people with old junker cars who drop like $1500 on sound systems, and they have at least $2000 in chrome on the car, but the car is like 6 different colors and rusted through all over the place...

one of my pet peeves with installing is that i have lots and lots of people come into the bay to put like 3 15's in their expedition, but they have child's seats in the back for babies...it is SOOOOO bad for a small child to have that type of bass around them, their heart cannot handle that type of pressure...can give very bad heart murmurs...i just feel like telling them that they are ruining their childs future health...

oh, after i posted this last night i had a female customer come in and ask me...
her- 'do you guys install those GPS's on cars?'
me- 'ya sure,garmin or tomtom?'
her- 'no, those ones that let you track your kids car so you know where they are?'
me- 'no, sorry, i cannot install a privacy invading device on your childs car, maybe try asking them where they are going?' and im thinking maybe you will have a real relationship with your child instead of a bunch of lies...

needless to say she was very offended...does it really surprise her though? im wearing skate shoes with a large mohawk, do you expect me to help you spy on your kid??

WormGod
03/10/2009, 08:06 AM
needless to say she was very offended...does it really surprise her though? im wearing skate shoes with a large mohawk, do you expect me to help you spy on your kid??

Nah, what offended her was the fact that the kid of hers she wants to spy on ALSO wears skate shoes and sports a large mohawk. She had a flashback of him talking back to her, hahaha.

pbkid
03/10/2009, 08:58 AM
LOL yes!!! thats great!

i actually really enjoy pissing these type of people off, i think its is SO immoral for someone to spy on thier children, maybe if they try being real and not a hypocrit, because everyone knows they did the same crap when they were a kid, maybe their child would tell them the truth and they wouldnt have to worry about them hurting themselves...

its just these types of kids who end up staying 'good' throughout high school, then when they get to college they go crazy and end up drowning themselves with alcohol because they never eazed themselves into it...

VehiGAZ
03/10/2009, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't mind a GPS-based tracking device in my 928 so I can see what the mechanics are doing with it on teh "test drives" they always seem to take.

mdwyer
03/10/2009, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't mind a GPS-based tracking device in my 928 so I can see what the mechanics are doing with it on teh "test drives" they always seem to take.

I've got one of those Davis CarChips stuffed into the OBDII port on my Subaru. I originally got it to read the MIL codes, but it turns out to not be very good at that. Still, it records hours of speed information, and flags when I've been accelerating or stopping hard.

I left it installed when I lent my car to a friend, but I never read the results... I didn't want to know. :) Maybe it will help me out in a traffic ticket or an accident, some day. In the meantime, it stays out of the way and I just forget about it.

I can't honestly say I recommend the CarChip, but for the right paranoia, it might be perfect. Of course, your mechanic is probably the only other person who would find the chip immediately!

pbkid
03/10/2009, 05:17 PM
i can completely understand doing something like that for reasons like keeping and eye on your own car, but to track your childs...i dont think thats moral

Spyder
03/10/2009, 06:30 PM
The shop I work at we do parts, auto repair, audio/video installs, window tint....

I had a guy the other day say go ahead and tint the windows, I'll bring it back next week for the brakes !!! :eek:

Spyder
03/10/2009, 06:41 PM
I'm going to bust on myself, here are a couple of the dumb things I've done:

I was installing foglights on my car once,
the drill slipped and I hit the condensor and I was showered with freon.
It was so thick I couldn't see the car.
Scared the heck out of me, I didn't know what I hit at first.

I drilled into my gas tank once.
It was near the top so it was an easy add a screw fix.

I'm sure there is more.

pbkid
03/10/2009, 09:21 PM
nice lol....i almost shoved a drill through my VX's door the first time i tried to fix my window clips....i probably would have cried lol....(like 3 years ago or more)

thats the biggest one i can think of...

oh, and when i was doing my extra brake lights (in the place of the little round reflectors) i dropped my tail light and broke the corner off of it....glued it back together with industrial super glue, and i still have it put in there, i bet ya cant even tell where it happened ;)

don moore
03/10/2009, 11:47 PM
i put on some crome molding on from a gmc onto my jeep pickup.. and used gripper screws..and screwed the door to the cab so it wouldnt open ..lol:cool:no one knew but me ...

WormGod
03/11/2009, 08:41 AM
Ok ok, I will add my ignorance....

Years ago, I came in early to work (when I was a painter) and was apparently too tired to start work, but I did. I wanted to close out a ticket from the day before, which was a wetsand and buff of a hood on a car that was painted the night before. Cars still littered the shop so I did the work in the spraybooth.

Long story short, I ran the buffer across the hood about 3-4 times before I realized I never put an actual buffing pad on the buffer. Needless to say, it stayed in the spraybooth and the ticket got some "added" repairs to it. *sigh*

pbkid
03/11/2009, 12:31 PM
Ok ok, I will add my ignorance....

Years ago, I came in early to work (when I was a painter) and was apparently too tired to start work, but I did. I wanted to close out a ticket from the day before, which was a wetsand and buff of a hood on a car that was painted the night before. Cars still littered the shop so I did the work in the spraybooth.

Long story short, I ran the buffer across the hood about 3-4 times before I realized I never put an actual buffing pad on the buffer. Needless to say, it stayed in the spraybooth and the ticket got some "added" repairs to it. *sigh*

nice, a little hungover??