PDA

View Full Version : VX shutting off just whenever!!!!!

technocoy
07/20/2003, 01:35 PM
hi all,

i just bought a 99' silver (yay for me!!) and i've had it for one day (30,000 miles only) and it just cuts off when i'm driving!!, it also jumps up to 3000 rpm when just sitting idle sometimes! has anyone else had these problems?? i'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.

any help is VERY appreciated!

thanks,
technocoy:(

IsuZOOM
07/20/2003, 01:53 PM
I once had that problem and it turned out that the battery cable wasn't firmly tightened.

Amack76
07/20/2003, 01:56 PM
same thing happened to me and its a common problem for 99 vx's. its the mas and your vx prob has a lean, but unfortunately its not covered under the warrenty for the 99s anymore, but since you just bought it they might fix it good luck if ya need anythjing just ask

Tone
07/20/2003, 05:21 PM
Probably one or more of the following (but need more info to diagnose):
Power steering pressure switch
Leaking intake manifold gaskets
Loose connection at MAS
Fuel filter clogged
Carboned up idle valve
Failing TPS

1st 2 are the most common cause of irregular/high idle on the VX.

Use search on most any of the terms above for additional threads.

Scott, think we could put together a comprehensive FAQ that lists known issues and resolutions?

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/20/2003, 07:10 PM
And...if any of the above stuff doesn't cure it there's only one thing left to do......

perform an Exorcism!

"Evil spirits be gone with ya....This VX is CLEAN!"
:goof:

Navigator
07/20/2003, 07:23 PM
I'd bet it's the fuel filter, most likely not replaced on schedule. One easy way to see if your VX has been serviced is to check the belts and hoses, they should be new afeter just being replaced at 30k. Look at the aifilters, and your fluids check bolts should at least be oily with fresh tool marks. If any of this is not true, have it maintenanced for 30k services ASAP.

technocoy
07/21/2003, 07:04 AM
the info was helpful..

it was the MAS, just a little loose and that was all it took... does this cause a problem if you want to put an after market intake/ cold air intake on the VX?

also, my transmission from time to time seems to shift a little hard... is that something you guys experience as well? or should i have this checked out?

thanks so much guys, this is my dream car, but buying used sometimes worries me. i did get the 3 yr warranty though!
and auto transmissions worry me even more! lol

again, thanks for any help.

technocoy

technocoy
07/21/2003, 07:08 AM
what do you mean by a "lean" ? thanks,

tech:confused:

Amack76
07/21/2003, 07:30 AM
a lean is when the engine gets too much gas not enough air or vice versa (aka having a problem with the mas)

technocoy
07/21/2003, 07:39 AM
thanks guys!

Moncha
07/21/2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Tone

Scott, think we could put together a comprehensive FAQ that lists known issues and resolutions?

Sorry just read this one..

That would be very easy.. I'll just include it in the FAQ.
Does someone want to compile it for me??

Tone
07/21/2003, 11:30 AM
Uh lean, is having NOT enough gas compared to air - engine runs hotter and has more horsepower but it is unhealthy for temporary or extended use like this. Too much fuel is rich and creates less horsepower and usually black smoke out the tail pipe - the VX typically runs a bit rich as indicated by the black ring around the tailpipe tip.

dobie3
07/21/2003, 04:28 PM
Sorry for the ignorance, but is this a sensor, and where do I locate it? I've experienced a similar phenomenon (fluctuating idle), on my '01, and this sounds like a logical place to look.

Thanks,:confused: